I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find the post now, but did someone say the Ink Cash card accumulates UR points even though it's called a cash back card? If so, could I try for the Ink+ to get the bonus points and downgrade to the Ink Cash before the annual fee is due?

I can't find the post now, but did someone say the Ink Cash card accumulates UR points even though it's called a cash back card? If so, could I try for the Ink+ to get the bonus points and downgrade to the Ink Cash before the annual fee is due?

The Ink Cash, Ink Plus, Sapphire Preferred, Freedom and Freedom unlimited all earn ultimate reward points. Only UR points coming out of an Ink Plus or Sapphire preferred can be transferred to use as airline miles. If you downgrade the Ink Plus to the Ink Cash make sure you also have a Sapphire preferred account to transfer your Ink Cash points into if you want to use them for transfers to airline miles.

The Ink Cash, Ink Plus, Sapphire Preferred, Freedom and Freedom unlimited all earn ultimate reward points. Only UR points coming out of an Ink Plus or Sapphire preferred can be transferred to use as airline miles. If you downgrade the Ink Plus to the Ink Cash make sure you also have a Sapphire preferred account to transfer your Ink Cash points into if you want to use them for transfers to airline miles.

Right, I have the Sapphire Preferred, so even though Ink Cash is called Ink Cash, it still allows the cash to be turned into UR like the Freedom does. Got it, thanks!

I opened a Sapphire card a few months ago for the 50K bonus and have been using it in tandem with my Freedom for everything I possibly can. When my statement closes in a couple of weeks, I'll be booking 2 round trip flights to London during Christmas week through Virgin and will only pay the fuel fees, which will go on the Sapphire card to earn 2x points. It's so exciting to game the system that tries to game us!

Will the 50,000 be in your account for use at statement close? I also opened a Sapphire (in mid June) and am working towards the spending requirement. My Orlando flights at Christmas are at least twice what we would pay any other time of year so I was hoping to use Rapid Reward points, gift cards and this Sapphire bonus to book them. But I wasn't sure if the points will be added to my account early enough in the fall to book a Christmas flight?

Will the 50,000 be in your account for use at statement close? I also opened a Sapphire (in mid June) and am working towards the spending requirement. My Orlando flights at Christmas are at least twice what we would pay any other time of year so I was hoping to use Rapid Reward points, gift cards and this Sapphire bonus to book them. But I wasn't sure if the points will be added to my account early enough in the fall to book a Christmas flight?

Yes, I already have the 50K available to me because we reached the spending requirement last month. My push is to get from 50K to 70K so I can cover both round trip tickets. After pending transactions clear tomorrow we'll officially have enough, but anything I've accumulated this month won't be in my account until the statement close.
They didn't wait the full 3 months to give me the points, so don't worry about having to wait until the 3 month window is up if you reach the spending requirement sooner than that. I'm just so nervous that I won't be able to book what I want on 8/11 when my statement closes!

I know this has already been answered but yes, you sure can. HOWEVER, you could always do what I did which is cancel the Ink+ and then apply for the Ink Cash and get the bonus points for the Ink Cash. Maybe not the right choice for everyone - but I am very greedy with my points gathering.

For one leg of my trip United kept asking if I would like to buy my ticket for zero points for only $7,995...no, United I would not. Also does that ever work?
I'm so embarassed. United actually got me on that one. I was all set to pay with points, then they explained that the flight would only be $8,000 cash, so I paid with cash instead of the points.

The next day while talking it over with friends, I realized that I'd gotten a bad deal. :idea:

Lol.

I'm really considering a SWA card but that $99 annual fee is killing me. Do they ever do promotions where a year of the fee might be waived?

I know this has already been answered but yes, you sure can. HOWEVER, you could always do what I did which is cancel the Ink+ and then apply for the Ink Cash and get the bonus points for the Ink Cash. Maybe not the right choice for everyone - but I am very greedy with my points gathering.

I like that plan even better!

I'm really considering a SWA card but that $99 annual fee is killing me. Do they ever do promotions where a year of the fee might be waived?
I've been watching this for a while and haven't seen/heard of a public offer for waived annual fees for the SW Visas.

The alternative would be to apply for the SW Plus Visa, which also has a 50,000 point sign-up bonus, but only has a $69 annual fee.

Thank you those who have been posting on this thread. Over the past 5 years or so, I have been pretty randomly signing up for things but not doing a good job of keeping track. Well, as I was trying to figure out the whole transferring points system, I found out that I have more than 100,000 United points--or had, since I just used 60,000 points (plus $200 fees) to book a RT flight to London that would cost about $1500. Not sure if that's a great deal but it was a nice surprise. So I am trying to get a better handle on using rewards points, and I have a few questions:

1. When do airline points tend to expire? I really am not sure how I accumulated the 100,000 United points but I am sure it was not anytime in the past year or two. Probably was 2009 - 2013 when I was flying a lot more. I think with Delta, the points don't expire as long as you accumulate some points within a certain time frame? Maybe United is the same? Just wondering by when I need to use the other 40,000 points.

2. What about Chase UR points expiring? I was planning to transfer UR points to United before I realized I already had United points. But if I keep using the Chase Freedom and Ink plus cards, are the UR points "safe"?

3. A question about Hilton rewards. We will be staying at a Hilton brand hotel in London. I assume I should sign up for the Hilton rewards program. Is it worth trying to get a Hilton credit card to use for payment? We are going for a week at the end of August, so not enough time to get and use a sign-up bonus for this trip, but I think we could earn extra points for paying for the stay? I don't really have a good travel rewards credit card -- we usually use the Capital One because it gives 1.5% rewards plus no foreign transaction fees. On the other hand, I think that hotel rewards expire fairly quickly, and I'm not sure when we will be staying at a Hilton again. Any advice about the best credit card to use to pay for a hotel stay?

Thanks again y'all -- still excited about my almost free flight :)

Thank you those who have been posting on this thread. Over the past 5 years or so, I have been pretty randomly signing up for things but not doing a good job of keeping track. Well, as I was trying to figure out the whole transferring points system, I found out that I have more than 100,000 United points--or had, since I just used 60,000 points (plus $200 fees) to book a RT flight to London that would cost about $1500. Not sure if that's a great deal but it was a nice surprise. So I am trying to get a better handle on using rewards points, and I have a few questions:

1. When do airline points tend to expire? I really am not sure how I accumulated the 100,000 United points but I am sure it was not anytime in the past year or two. Probably was 2009 - 2013 when I was flying a lot more. I think with Delta, the points don't expire as long as you accumulate some points within a certain time frame? Maybe United is the same? Just wondering by when I need to use the other 40,000 points.

2. What about Chase UR points expiring? I was planning to transfer UR points to United before I realized I already had United points. But if I keep using the Chase Freedom and Ink plus cards, are the UR points "safe"?

3. A question about Hilton rewards. We will be staying at a Hilton brand hotel in London. I assume I should sign up for the Hilton rewards program. Is it worth trying to get a Hilton credit card to use for payment? We are going for a week at the end of August, so not enough time to get and use a sign-up bonus for this trip, but I think we could earn extra points for paying for the stay? I don't really have a good travel rewards credit card -- we usually use the Capital One because it gives 1.5% rewards plus no foreign transaction fees. On the other hand, I think that hotel rewards expire fairly quickly, and I'm not sure when we will be staying at a Hilton again. Any advice about the best credit card to use to pay for a hotel stay?

Thanks again y'all -- still excited about my almost free flight :)

Each airline is different about when points expire. United miles expire after 18 months of inactivity. By redeeming miles you just re-set it for another 18 months. Only Delta and Jet Blue points never expire.

Chase UR points don't expire either as long as your account is open and in good standing.

Definitely sign up for their rewards program. Which credit to use for payment really depends on how you value points. I value variable reward points like UR. So I would use my Chase Sapphire Preferred which has carries no foreign transaction fees and will give me 2 UR points per dollar which are worth more to me than 2% cash back or 6 - 12 Hilton points per dollar. The travel hacker bloggers I follow all recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred card as the best travel rewards card to get. Hope this helps.

UR is probably the easiest credit card rewards you can earn because its got 4 cards that earn it (+1 more in august)
UA is probably the best rewards program to earn. MileagePlus/MileagePlus Dining, you can use these programs to double dip.

Just wanted to add to the UA miles expiration, you should get UA's credit card, i think its 40k for $3k spending? It also helps keep mileage from expiring too. (at least, thats what my friend does)

UR is probably the easiest credit card rewards you can earn because its got 4 cards that earn it (+1 more in august)
UA is probably the best rewards program to earn. MileagePlus/MileagePlus Dining, you can use these programs to double dip.

Just wanted to add to the UA miles expiration, you should get UA's credit card, i think its 40k for $3k spending? It also helps keep mileage from expiring too. (at least, thats what my friend does)

Another point abut the UA card. Only card holders can see and have access to book certain award availability. When you look for award searches on UA website if you are logged in and a card holder there will be award availability that is not there for non card holders. It's one reason I keep the card and I do like the two annual UA lounge passes.

Thanks for the tips. I am presently trying to get the Sapphire card -- I applied 6 days ago, and the application was not immediately accepted or rejected. I just called the customer service number on the back of my Freedom card to see if I could get an update and all the service person could tell me was that it was still under review. Does anyone know a better number to call to see if I can convince them to approve the application?

Thanks for the tips. I am presently trying to get the Sapphire card -- I applied 6 days ago, and the application was not immediately accepted or rejected. I just called the customer service number on the back of my Freedom card to see if I could get an update and all the service person could tell me was that it was still under review. Does anyone know a better number to call to see if I can convince them to approve the application?

The current consensus on Chase UR card and a few of the co-brnaded card applications is not to call reconsideration and to let them process it though. If you have opened 5 or more credit cards with any bank in the last 2 years they will likely deny you. There are tons of data points regarding Chase implementing a 5/24 rule despite excellent credit, income and history of banking with Chase. The current school of thought is to lower you credit lines across your Chase cards before applying for a new one. Best of luck, hope you get the approval!

After reading this I'm strongly considering applying for an ink plus and then downgrading to an ink cause after a year. I already have a freedom and sapphire. The points on gas, cell phone and Internet would be a big plus. I assume the entire fios bill would count.

I technically have a small business doing nutrition analysis for cookbooks, but I didn't do any last year. We moved I had a new full time job, a small child, etc. but in 2014 I had over 12k in business income on my tax return, I wonder if that would still count. My DH also had 6k in consulting income last year.

After reading this I'm strongly considering applying for an ink plus and then downgrading to an ink cause after a year. I already have a freedom and sapphire. The points on gas, cell phone and Internet would be a big plus. I assume the entire fios bill would count.

I technically have a small business doing nutrition analysis for cookbooks, but I didn't do any last year. We moved I had a new full time job, a small child, etc. but in 2014 I had over 12k in business income on my tax return, I wonder if that would still count. My DH also had 6k in consulting income last year.

ive been going back and forward to consider downgrading the Sapphire or the Ink+, it seems like Ink+ will stay in my wallet and Sapphire will be converted to a freedom unlimited.
Frontier FIOS bill does count. my TWC also counts too.

The current consensus on Chase UR card and a few of the co-brnaded card applications is not to call reconsideration and to let them process it though. If you have opened 5 or more credit cards with any bank in the last 2 years they will likely deny you. There are tons of data points regarding Chase implementing a 5/24 rule despite excellent credit, income and history of banking with Chase. The current school of thought is to lower you credit lines across your Chase cards before applying for a new one. Best of luck, hope you get the approval!

Thanks - I will just (try to) be patient. I think we have opened three cards in the past 24 months but I could be forgetting something. I guess if it is denied I could lower the credit lines on the two Chase cards we have and apply again?

I make a couple hundred bucks a year reselling clothes. Its really nothing, but I was approved as a sole proprietorship for both the Ink+ and the Ink Cash with very little pushback and an absurdly high credit limit. YMMV but I'd be shocked if you wouldn't be fine. I don't think they ever do instant approval though, so if you get a 'pending' message just let it work it's way through the system. It took a week for me. I'm actually paying for our October Disney trip with Disney gift cards I'm buying through Staples with my Ink which will in turn help pay for our flights somewhere else.

You guys! This is so fun! My husband tolerates and benefits from my points hobby but doesn't really get into it and Flyertalk can be so dude-broish and r/churning is moderating itself to death. It's nice to talk about without someone shoving affiliate links in your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter