I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a rush to be approved for CIP that if I had time I might have jumped on and applied for SPG Biz. The $7000 minimum spend still scares me though. And I saw something on Doctor of Credit today that Amex Biz are now wanting 4 digit listed for annual revenue?!? That also is a little worrisome especially for RAT. I guess I am just paranoid about them reviewing charges.

There’s no rush. You wouldn’t have been able to combine hard pulls anyway. Meanwhile you have a $5k MSR on the CIP. The SPG Biz is another $7k MSR, so give yourself a little more time and apply before or at the end of the offer, 3/28/18.

Amex changed their online application to require a least 4-digit revenue a few months ago. You could put $1000. There’s also another field for estimated monthly expenses. The asterisk tells you that estimated monthly expenses is not required, so if you don’t feel comfortable filling in that part, you don’t have to. In all likelihood, you’ll be approved immediately.

Personal data points on our SPG Biz applications: Last year, I put $13k revenue, $2k estimated monthly expenses (2x my revenue!), 5 years in business (consulting), included total household income, credit score in the 830s (thanks to churning, my credit score has gone up at least 20 points!), approved automatically with a $24k credit line. Applied for DW earlier this month, with $1.5k revenue (based on eBay sales 2 years ago; slow year last year), left estimated expenses blank, 2 years in business, higher total household income credit (thanks to a raise), credit score in the lower 800s, approved automatically with a $5k credit line (why so stingy Amex? That’s going to make meeting MSR interesting).

We expect that we’ll have to put a bit of Plastiq on DW’s SPG Biz. I don’t like the idea of diverting Plastiq spend to the SPG Biz while it’s still earning 3x UR on the CIP, and the SPG Biz doesn’t have very meaningful bonus categories outside of SPG/Marriott stays (and buying Starpoints on Points .com), but I rationalize it because when you factor in the signup bonus and the MSR, you’re essentially earning 6x Starpoints while trying to meet spend. We’re going to try throw as much charges that don’t earn bonuses on other cards onto the SPG Biz as possible before dipping into Plastiq spend.

A few weeks ago, @Albort and I posted how Plastiq posts on our SPG Biz statements:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-828#post-58886262

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-828#post-58886458.

We paid a mix of recipients, but it doesn’t seem to display the name of the recipient in the transaction line on our SPG Biz statements. I’m not sure if Amex can see any more info, but this is what we see when looking at our spend.

Thus far, it looks like the RATs are targeting Simon Mall VGCs and Gift Card Mall specifically; there are scattered reports of BMO bank funding not counting; and Amex may have Level 3 data to the big office supply stores. I bought a $500 VGC last year from Whole Foods, which didn’t seem to count towards an Amex spending bonus (I didn’t press the issue since I didn’t want eyes on my account). Generally, try to avoid cash equivalents. And if you do buy VGCs from grocery stores or pharmacies, try to avoid the $xx5.95 transactions that are a dead giveaway to what you’re buying; mix it up. Recently, Amex also added language excluding P2P payments, through services like PayPal and Venmo, from earning points and bonuses.

Last edited:
Yes I did 5k/25k and will have it paid by next week, due date payment is 4/4- looking at increased bonus
So once your $5,000 worth of purchases post I'd call. Paying your bill will have no bearing whatsoever. The odds of getting matched are very slim but I'd try to remain pleasant but FIRM that you are disappointed that they came out with a larger offer right after you applied. You may need to ask to escalate the call to a manager and there's a chance they still say no. Spending more on the card to get to $7k probably won't increase your odds at a match and if they say no, then you just wasted $2k in spend that could've gone elsewhere. Good Luck :) Let us know how it goes!

Mine does not. Something tells me a lot of people are going to be contacting Chase/Starbucks here soon.

All this talk of Stars not posting — I’m not worried. Terms say it can take up to 5 days, but having done other Starbucks promos before (Visa Checkout? Chase Pay reloads? Apple Pay?), if the Stars don’t post when they should, contact Starbucks and they’ve been really good about manually crediting your account.

But agreed with @wendow and @Calfan, very underwhelming in store experience.

My first big award trip is finally almost here. I booked this trip 11 months out after seeing a trip report on travelbloggerbuzz's website. One more full week of work and then we're off to Banff. I need to exchange some US Dollars for Canadian dollars and not sure how to go about it to get the best exchange rate. Wondering if I should just wait until we arrive and use a forex bureau in the airport or if I should change the money in the US. I'd like some local money for tips etc. We are on a tight schedule and arrive in Calgary around 6pm so not sure if any banks will be open when we arrive at our downtown hotel (Fairmont Palliser). Upon reading up on the issue, I see the best exchange rate one would get would be to use their US debit card to use an ATM. I hadn't planned to bring my debit card, though. Just my CSR and Platinum due to no forex fees. I'm going to cross-post this in the "Debt dumpers" thread also. Anyone have any feedback on what I should do?

So, gyft.com only codes as 3x if you use paypal linked to CIP?

Yes.

However, Gyft also offers payment with Apple Pay, which would earn 5x UR this quarter on the Chase Freedom (up to $1,500 spent) because it’s a mobile wallet bonus category.

Next quarter’s Freedom bonus category includes PayPal transactions. So Gyft will earn 5x UR if you use PayPal checkout with the Freedom (up to $1,500 in bonus spend) selected as the payment method.

Do all Paypal transactions code as 3x with CIP or only certain things?

No, select things like Gyft and Swych (another gift card app). There have been several high profile nerfs recently, like Cashstar and PayPal Digital Gifts.

Last edited:
I have that offer as well, but for my carnival cruise in may i had already purchase discounted gift cards through AARP for the cost and i could not justified saving $500 for a possibility that i may spend that on the cruise. I wish the offer was good for DCL for i am still paying on that one
I once purchased in room credit with an offer and then the balance we did not spend was refunded to the card but still got the discount

I have a question that i probably should know since i had the freedom for 7 years, but I am just starting to use it. Since i active the bonus category for april now do I start earning towards it now or no I have to wait?

I have a question that i probably should know since i had the freedom for 7 years, but I am just starting to use it. Since i active the bonus category for april now do I start earning towards it now or no I have to wait?

No, you wait for those categories to start 4/1. I'm holding off on some dues I pay with PayPal until then, anxiously :)

Would this include Apple Pay?

In theory, it could include Apple Pay Cash (the P2P aspect of that service). The same could be said about PayPal because the service can be used to pay merchants or friends and family (so exclude one but not the other?). There was a lot of debate about this when news of the new P2P exclusionary language first came out, but I don’t think anyone knows how or whether Amex will actually enforce it in practice. Do payments to merchants vs payments to other persons code differently? Idk.

I just did my first Gyft purchase the other day with my CIP. I purchased a Chipotle GC. The remaining balance is still in the Gyft app and in my Apple wallet. I can confirm that it showed up as 3x UR, but it took 3 days to show up on my CIP. Never showed as pending.
I keep watching for my Plastiq charge. Submitted it on Tuesday 3/13, still nothing on pending.
I’ve noticed that purchases don’t always appear right a way on the business cards. I bought our Disney tickets on a Saturday and the purchase didn’t appear until Tuesday.

I ended up with a cash rebate of $10.35 (?) I think they gave me the 1% of the full amount, not the sale price on points....

I finally bought SPG points today (nothing like putting it off til the last minute, that's how I roll lol), and I also got $10.35 back from TopCashBack. It's strange how it shows up as $690 spent, since I only spent $682.50, but it calculates to 1.5%

upload_2018-3-16_13-22-13.png

Maybe givingassistant gave you 1.5% as well?

I've done the unthinkable and went ahead and opened up a Wells Fargo checking account and applied for another Well's Fargo Propel card. I hated that card and the blasted checking account last time I had them. The card is not available online and will be discontinued March 31st. If you're lucky and can get a phone agent to find it, you can apply over the phone if you have a checking account with them. The checking account has a $200 bonus and the card comes with 40,000 points for $3,000 in spend the first 3 months and an annual airline credit of $100, the $175 AF is waived the first year. Between the checking account, airline credit and bonus that's $700. Works for me. I got lucky and the phone agent found it and I was approved. Time to diversify the points and miles portfolio with some cash back points via MS.

My first big award trip is finally almost here. I booked this trip 11 months out after seeing a trip report on travelbloggerbuzz's website. One more full week of work and then we're off to Banff. I need to exchange some US Dollars for Canadian dollars and not sure how to go about it to get the best exchange rate. Wondering if I should just wait until we arrive and use a forex bureau in the airport or if I should change the money in the US. I'd like some local money for tips etc. We are on a tight schedule and arrive in Calgary around 6pm so not sure if any banks will be open when we arrive at our downtown hotel (Fairmont Palliser). Upon reading up on the issue, I see the best exchange rate one would get would be to use their US debit card to use an ATM. I hadn't planned to bring my debit card, though. Just my CSR and Platinum due to no forex fees. I'm going to cross-post this in the "Debt dumpers" thread also. Anyone have any feedback on what I should do?

I always use an atm up there .The dollar being with more than Canadian negates the fees imo. Plus it's just easier to do.

Called tonight when finally got a minute in a crazy busy day and APPROVED for CIP. Took @Lain’s constant advice and got a replacement card on its way (she said 3 to 5 business days). Probably smallest credit line ever of $5000 but I will take it. I guess if I want any more Chase cards I better think about closing or reducing credit lines presumptively. Thanks everyone for the support yesterday. Seriously it was so funny after the call yesterday morning...I just wanted to get on here and post about it. So thanks.

Told my husband about getting the CIP. Apparently he has a purchase of about $800 he wants to make: “between that and Costco we will have that $5000 knocked out in no time.” I don’t think he wants to admit it but I have a sneaking suspicion he is getting into this credit card churner game.

Such a rush to be approved for CIP that if I had time I might have jumped on and applied for SPG Biz. The $7000 minimum spend still scares me though. And I saw something on Doctor of Credit today that Amex Biz are now wanting 4 digit listed for annual revenue?!? That also is a little worrisome especially for RAT. I guess I am just paranoid about them reviewing charges.
I was instantly approved for SPG biz last month. I listed business income as $2500 because I have a rental property but $1000 income per year is less than 100/month.

Oh I also read something confusing about avios award booking- it looks like the policy is $55 to change anything on a ticket but I read a blog that said you could cancel for just the cost of taxes... any insight? Since I'm past my 24 hr booking window

I can give you info on a booking I made four years ago with BA, with the caveat that things may have changed since then, so trust but verify by calling BA.

Reserved a flight for DH with my Avios, taxes were $34. Cancelled the flight - lost $34 and got Avios redeposited into my account. He was on a separate ticket than me & DD.

Reserved a flight for me and DD, taxes were $68. Cancelled the flight - lost $68, and got Avios redeposited into my account.

Why were we on separate bookings? I think it had to do with one seat (but not three seats) being open on business class on Aer Lingus from Boston to Dublin. I think I booked him on the business class seat and me & DD on economy (insert confused emoji here, why on earth did I do that? - seriously I deserve the business class seat for all the hacking!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter