I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use an atm up there .The dollar being with more than Canadian negates the fees imo. Plus it's just easier to do.
Thanks. I bank with Chase and PNC. PNC does not charge a fee to exchange currency so i made an appointment with them to exchange some money before our trip.

I need some help with AUs. I don’t want either DH or myself to be AUs on any cards obviously. I recently got the SPG Biz and thought since the AUs are “employees” it wouldn’t be reported on their credit report. I ordered an AU Card on my Biz account, but at the last minute put DSs name just in case it reported to a credit bureau. Card arrived and they want DSs DOB and SS#, and I need to talk to them to activate the card.
Does Amex report biz AUs? What is the min age for an AU for Amex?

I have a similar question. I got DH an AU card on the SPG Biz since the spend was so high. Got it in, went to activate it's asking for his social and dob. I don't mind giving it, I just want to make sure I won't mess anything up with him being able to sign up for his own SPG biz and earn the bonus.

So, I had to catch up with about 7 pages because I've been busy running around town and spending money!

Yesterday I ditched Virgin Mobile where I was on the $35 unlimited plan plus $5 for international calling and a few dollars in taxes =$43. I also gave up my cheap LG phone which worked fine for me and was not broke.

I know loads of people here pay huge amounts for cell service. So with my $43 budget I went into the Comcast/Xfinity Mobile store and looked at their phones. I purchased a $600 Samsung S8 (S9 was $720 but wouldn't get the color I wanted until Monday) and an Otter box for 23.00 at 40% off and signed up for their service, which is $12 a month plus fees for 1 gig of data. (With Virgin I used about a half gig a month. This is unlimited calling and texting, and if I go over the 1 gig I will pay another $12 per gig. (Hasn't happened except once to me with Virgin.)

They also have a little $250 visa gift card back for Samsung phones until March 22nd. They are operating on Verizon towers. So, $350 for the phone and about $14.50 for the monthly bill.

Not sure what the catch is going to be yet as this is incredibly cheap. Unlimited gigs are $45 a month but they will throttle at a certain point which was not a concern for me. If I factor in the cost of the phone over 2 years, I would still be paying less than I did with Virgin. About $27 a month taking the gift card into consideration. It is a monthly savings over 2 years of $16 a month.

So, connecting to this thread: Samsung pay - anyone understand that? I have the app and created an account and see it has rewards (added an Amex card to it) but I'm clueless as to what it will help me with.

I could have gotten an IPhone X or 8 but I'm just not an Apple girl. Maybe in about 10 years...

And moving on to the SPG card and the comments by several on whether it should be kept. I didn't respond during 7 pages because its so hard to keep up!

Anyway at annual fee time each year, and this is my annual fee month, I get the 'cancel this card' bug.

I've had the card since 2001 according to the card, but my other Amex which I had first says the same thing. For a long time, it was the card I put everything on to earn SPG points. Then they ticked me off by raising my interest rate. I had something like a 9.9%, but back in the day I carried balances, so this was important. They put it up to 10% something. So, I paid it off immediately and called to cancel. They talked me out of canceling and waived my fee or something to make me feel better, so I still have it. I never ran a balance on it ever again. And stopped putting much on it also.

Then they came out with the 'offers'. So far I've gotten over $700 back in offers and just this week, I've used the Lowes offer 3 times, once on my card, once on my daughters authorized user card and once on my no fee card. I've also this month used the Chewy offer 3 times at 25 off 75 and stocked up on the cat food needed for my one cat that I can never find except online. So $30 and $75 =$105 and its only March. Bought gas cards with the Lowes offers for my trip.

So, my SPG will survive another year.

Last year, just in December I used the $50 off $75 Clydes restaurant offer 3 times and my older daughter used it twice. We had a group of about 8 at one lunch in Columbia, Md over xmas holiday where the bill had 3 amex used on it for $150 off right there.

If the offers keep coming, my SPG will always be a keeper.

So, connecting to this thread: Samsung pay - anyone understand that? I have the app and created an account and see it has rewards (added an Amex card to it) but I'm clueless as to what it will help me with.
It should work everywhere. When you're ready to pay open the app, pick what card you want to use (you can have multiple) and it will prompt you to type in a pin. It then gives you 30 seconds to pay - just hold your phone over where you would swipe the card, I just lay mine on there basically. It will beep when it reads. If it doesn't for some reason in the 30 seconds, a refresh arrow will come up on your phone screen to start the timer again.

It will confuse many cashiers, don't worry. I've only had one time where it errored out the card reader and I ended up swiping my card. It's all I use unless I'm at a restaurant or the gas pump. I did it a couple times in self check out and at a vending machine to practice because I was self conscious.

Last edited:
I can give you info on a booking I made four years ago with BA, with the caveat that things may have changed since then, so trust but verify by calling BA.

Reserved a flight for DH with my Avios, taxes were $34. Cancelled the flight - lost $34 and got Avios redeposited into my account. He was on a separate ticket than me & DD.

Reserved a flight for me and DD, taxes were $68. Cancelled the flight - lost $68, and got Avios redeposited into my account.

Why were we on separate bookings? I think it had to do with one seat (but not three seats) being open on business class on Aer Lingus from Boston to Dublin. I think I booked him on the business class seat and me & DD on economy (insert confused emoji here, why on earth did I do that? - seriously I deserve the business class seat for all the hacking!).
thanks for the dp.... so I guess what I read was correct,that's what happens- But I'm still assuming a change would cost $55....

So, I had to catch up with about 7 pages because I've been busy running around town and spending money!

Yesterday I ditched Virgin Mobile where I was on the $35 unlimited plan plus $5 for international calling and a few dollars in taxes =$43. I also gave up my cheap LG phone which worked fine for me and was not broke.

I know loads of people here pay huge amounts for cell service. So with my $43 budget I went into the Comcast/Xfinity Mobile store and looked at their phones. I purchased a $600 Samsung S8 (S9 was $720 but wouldn't get the color I wanted until Monday) and an Otter box for 23.00 at 40% off and signed up for their service, which is $12 a month plus fees for 1 gig of data. (With Virgin I used about a half gig a month. This is unlimited calling and texting, and if I go over the 1 gig I will pay another $12 per gig. (Hasn't happened except once to me with Virgin.)

They also have a little $250 visa gift card back for Samsung phones until March 22nd. They are operating on Verizon towers. So, $350 for the phone and about $14.50 for the monthly bill.

Not sure what the catch is going to be yet as this is incredibly cheap. Unlimited gigs are $45 a month but they will throttle at a certain point which was not a concern for me. If I factor in the cost of the phone over 2 years, I would still be paying less than I did with Virgin. About $27 a month taking the gift card into consideration. It is a monthly savings over 2 years of $16 a month.

I could have gotten an IPhone X or 8 but I'm just not an Apple girl. Maybe in about 10 years...
I love samsung pay after i started to use it for freedom . You earn Samsung points which can be used for gift cards or discounts on samsung products. It easy to used and i have the nfc and payments turn on to allow tap and pay on the phone

For those of you who PCd your CSR, how long did it take to see the AF credit? DH got his CSR on 02/04/17 and he called in on 02/21/18 to PC to the Freedom. The $450 AF posted to his Freedom account on 03/01/18. I honestly didn't think it would post at all, since we didn't see it before he called. Now it's been 8 days since it posted (statement cut on 03/06/18, not that this is relevant) and still no credit. Just curious what your experiences have been.

Quoting my own post to provide an update on this. I just looked through DH's statement for his CSR/Freedom and we did receive an AF credit.........of $37.50! I'm shocked, as I honestly thought we'd receive more than that since he called in just 17 days after the card's anniversary date. I guess that's what we get for using up the $300 travel credit. Maybe we should have just kept his CSR another year. Ugh.

Quoting my own post to provide an update on this. I just looked through DH's statement for his CSR/Freedom and we did receive an AF credit.........of $37.50! I'm shocked, as I honestly thought we'd receive more than that since he called in just 17 days after the card's anniversary date. I guess that's what we get for using up the $300 travel credit. Maybe we should have just kept his CSR another year. Ugh

Thanks for the data point! I've been struggling to have DH call to pc his CSR and since we paid his AF in March sounds like forcing him to call now to pc it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll keep it until next February and get another $300 travel credit out of it then twist his arm to pc it before the fee hits. Ugh, resistant man to having credit cards :mad:

Quoting my own post to provide an update on this. I just looked through DH's statement for his CSR/Freedom and we did receive an AF credit.........of $37.50! I'm shocked, as I honestly thought we'd receive more than that since he called in just 17 days after the card's anniversary date. I guess that's what we get for using up the $300 travel credit. Maybe we should have just kept his CSR another year. Ugh.

Really??? That is really disappointing. My af posted Oct 1, and I PC'ed mid-Dec (after using the 2018 travel credit. I received a credit back of $375.

Had his new AF posted yet and you paid it?

Really??? That is really disappointing. My af posted Oct 1, and I PC'ed mid-Dec (after using the 2018 travel credit. I received a credit back of $375.

Looking at these two posts, it's almost like a decimal point is off on the credit mhartman09 received......

Thanks for the data point! I've been struggling to have DH call to pc his CSR and since we paid his AF in March sounds like forcing him to call now to pc it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll keep it until next February and get another $300 travel credit out of it then twist his arm to pc it before the fee hits. Ugh, resistant man to having credit cards :mad:

Looking at these two posts, it's almost like a decimal point is off on the credit mhartman09 received......
If you look at the math here it is $37.50 per month (37.5x12 = $450). EDIT: see @lain’s post - he is correct IMO.

Last edited:
That’s strange. Maybe a new DP because DHs AF posted 11/1, Used the Travel Credit 12/17, PC’d to Freedom Unlimited a week later. $450 credit posted 1/5

ETA. Just saw @SouthFayetteFan post and I agree. Give them a call. Seems wrong.

Just a heads up. Not sure if anyone on this thread was at the runDisney Princess Half Marathon weekend last month, but lots of chatter on the runDisney 2018 Princess DIS thread about Disney Chase Visas getting hacked for those who were at WDW that weekend. I haven't had a Disney Visa in years, but I know a lot on this tread do....

Having chase pay and sb linked in both apps made no difference .Nothing showing up in the app. I did read on DOC earlier that someone that did an in-store reload on the 16th got their stars today.

I’m wondering if the $37.50 is a prorated refund of your first year AF, and a full credit hasn’t posted against the second year AF yet.

You husband may have gotten his CSR on 2/4/17, but his first year AF wouldn’t have been billed until the end of the first statement at the end of February or in March. As you said, the second year AF posted on 3/1/18. You should have 30 days from that date to cancel and get a refund of your second year AF. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/annual-fee-refund-rules-for-each-card-issuer/#Chase As you said, DH [edit] PCed his card on 2/21/18, so he was still in his first year’s AF (the last month of it, so $37.50 refund).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter