I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that link is a public link please consider supporting a DISchurner through one of their links on reddit. It's the same offer - if you want details on how to join send me a PM.

I looked for a thread and I couldn't find one. :-( I saw a thread saying no referral links pinned so I thought that meant people weren't sharing them. I ended up asking a friend on FB. I'm sorry!

Either way, I'm annoyed because it says I won't know for 30 days. I was pretty surprised by that because I have a very good credit history and score. I'm not sure why I didn't get it instantly so I guess I will wait.

(and with any purchase I'll get a 1,000 points which is worth..maybe a dollar :rolleyes1)
Blasphemy, isn't that like $10? :rotfl: Though I haven't redeemed anything on my no fee Arrival in a year so I don't remember if it has a minimum to redeem like they changed the Plus to...
it's sort of closing the barn door after the horse was let out to be so organized
I might start using this :)

On another note, Disney is still working to transfer the reservation. Not sure how long this normally takes but a quick Google search seems to put numbers all over the place. I have found 24hrs to 10 business days listed on TA sites. It has been a week yesterday but that included a holiday. I keep checking MDE as I presume the "Make a Payment" link will vanish as soon as its transferred. She called Disney yesterday and they had not finished it yet and is going to check again tomorrow. Hoping to hear something soon!!

Just refreshed MDE and now that reservation says "One or more guests on your reservation may have changed. Please update your guests" and the "Make a Payment" link is now gone as well as the amount owed. Hopefully this means it was transferred!

I started an application for SPG Business AMEX (thru a DisChurner's link) and I get a error that says annual business revenue must be at least 4 digits (I tried to enter $200). Did this just change in the past few days???

ETA: Welp, I just projected that there would be $1000 (smallest 4 digit number) in annual business revenue with less than a year of being in business, and got approved!

Last edited:

Easy MS opportunity if you need help maximizing your Freedom points.

buy $300 worth of staples VGC, use apple pay. 5x opportunity. Staples Easy rebate refunds u a $20 visa gift card. Fee in total is $6.95 per card, so if you buy 2 $200, your fee is -$6.10. net 2k UR points.
something to consider...

i used ink+ so its always 5x for me at Staples.

edit: linky for u here --> https://www.doctorofcredit.com/staples-get-20-visa-rebate-300-visa-gift-cards-purchase-1-14-1-20/
I finally got a chance to go to Staples for this deal. There was only 1 x $200 VGC left, so I bought 1 x $200 + 1 x $100. So my fees will be -$7.10 and I'll get ~1,565 UR points. Had no issues at all using Apple Pay.

Then I tried to use one of the VGCs to buy a money order at the post office; the package said it's a debit and the last 4 digits of the card number are the initial PIN, but it didn't work. I wasn't confident it would, but I had to buy a money order anyway so I figured I'd try the VGC.

I may try liquidating them through Apple Pay Cash, though. The terms state that the service can be used to a) load your Apple Pay Cash account via a debit or prepaid card, and b) transfer funds from your Apple Pay Cash account to your linked bank account. I may try loading the $100 VGC then request a small transfer to my checking account to see if it works. Worst case scenario I'm not allowed to transfer it out for some reason and I have to use Apple Pay Cash to make $100 in purchases.

I haven't gotten any emails for the Best Buy deal from Chase, but I may do it on my Freedom card since that's a public offer.

Helping DH out with his cards.
Thanks @amalone1013 for the visual. I have a label maker so I will get on it!

I DO have my dh personal info memorized but we've been together 30 years. You'll get there too! I'm not sure how to break the news of "our" new hobby. He and his ex got themselves into trouble with credit and he was the one who had to deal with it when he became the ex so he still has a bitter taste, even 30+ years later. He only carries 3 cards, his work issued, the Costco card, and the US Bank as a backup.

If I tell him, he is going to freak. If I don't tell him, he is going to freak when he finds out. And they always find out so I don't recommend keeping secrets from your spouse. Especially when it's about finances! Ugh...Slinking off to the corner to formulate a plan.

I finally got a chance to go to Staples for this deal. There was only 1 x $200 VGC left, so I bought 1 x $200 + 1 x $100. So my fees will be -$7.10 and I'll get ~1,565 UR points. Had no issues at all using Apple Pay.

Then I tried to use one of the VGCs to buy a money order at the post office; the package said it's a debit and the last 4 digits of the card number are the initial PIN, but it didn't work. I wasn't confident it would, but I had to buy a money order anyway so I figured I'd try the VGC.

I may try liquidating them through Apple Pay Cash, though. The terms state that the service can be used to a) load your Apple Pay Cash account via a debit or prepaid card, and b) transfer funds from your Apple Pay Cash account to your linked bank account. I may try loading the $100 VGC then request a small transfer to my checking account to see if it works. Worst case scenario I'm not allowed to transfer it out for some reason and I have to use Apple Pay Cash to make $100 in purchases.

I haven't gotten any emails for the Best Buy deal from Chase, but I may do it on my Freedom card since that's a public offer.

$200 and $100 VGCs should be the same fees.
You cant liquidate a metabank VGC at PO. PO only take Vanilla VGC or bancorp VGC. Although currently, PO is are suppose to hard code against these cards. You have to use them at Walmart. its YMMV on that as well since a lot of walmarts are now looking out for these. I unloaded most of my VGC on utilities, as 5x on utilities is not bad in my case.

I guess your apple pay Cash account would work too.

so I did the survey.... but getting cards in too many programs is something I've been avoiding, b/c I want things that are compatible with use,so if I get a card with a different points reward system it'll be less valuable than the ones I can combine..... yes? no?

I agree with @SouthFayetteFan with this being a personal decision just like how we each use our points to suit our specific needs. With that said, I will share what I do and why.

I view my points and miles a lot like an investment portfolio. I never want to put all of my eggs in one basket. Diversify is what I do. We go through a LOT of points and miles every year. I need to have a number of programs to switch to as I build up balances in whatever I just depleted. Sometimes what I planned with one program won’t work the way I intended. Having a plan B, C and D means I won’t have to cancel a planned vacation and come to a complete stop. All I need to do is switch gears. It’s happened to me more than once. If I did not have another points or miles program to switch to I would have been faced with cancelling our plans or spending a lot of money out of pocket.

The main programs I focus on are UR, SPG, MR, AA and UA. We also keep have fairly high balances with Marriott, Hilton, Club Carlson and Delta. I will likely pick up another card that earns TY points in a couple of years too. Every few years we will pick a cash back card as well.

That's really a personal answer and would depend on your travel habits. In just the past year I've managed to earn and use points in Hilton, IHG, and Marriott as well as Southwest for flights, AMEX Membership Rewards, and CITI ThankYou points all offsetting travel costs. I believe @calypso726 has a lot of experience balancing multiple programs too.

The important thing I'd say is make sure you understand a program and what those points are worth to you before you jump in. When I apply for a card I examine all the redemption options, attempt to identify both a primary use for the points as well as a potential secondary redemption (gift cards or cash is possible) in the event something changes. The mistake some people make here is earning points that they have no use for. With good planning, I've never had a point go to waste :)

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve also never had a point go to waste since I just focus on what is variable and what I know I will use. This is why I have never gone after the SW cards and CP. I think the program is awesome but it doesn’t work for our travel goals.

$200 and $100 VGCs should be the same fees.
You cant liquidate a metabank VGC at PO. PO only take Vanilla VGC or bancorp VGC. Although currently, PO is are suppose to hard code against these cards. You have to use them at Walmart. its YMMV on that as well since a lot of walmarts are now looking out for these. I unloaded most of my VGC on utilities, as 5x on utilities is not bad in my case.

I guess your apple pay Cash account would work too.
The fees were different on the ones I bought - $6.95 fee for $200, $5.95 fee for $100. They also had $50's & $25's but I didn't look to see what the fees were on those. I've never bought VGCs to MS spend before so didn't know you can do different things with different types. I don't have WalMart near me either. I'll try the Apple Pay Cash route and report back if it works.

I looked for a thread and I couldn't find one. :-( I saw a thread saying no referral links pinned so I thought that meant people weren't sharing them. I ended up asking a friend on FB. I'm sorry!

Either way, I'm annoyed because it says I won't know for 30 days. I was pretty surprised by that because I have a very good credit history and score. I'm not sure why I didn't get it instantly so I guess I will wait.
Don't apologize at all for using a friend's link! That's awesome that you were able to help out real life friends instead of us internet folk, haha. As evidenced by the previous survey we did, there are many people using family and friend's links which I think is awesome!

My priority for using links is:
1) Spouse
2) Other family member
3) DISchurner who used one of my links
4) DISchurner who I think is super helpful
5) r/Churning person who I think is super helpful
6) Random (and it basically never gets down to random because somebody above fits the bill)

Okay, so I am ready to start my app for the CIP. First question and I'm stumped...."Legal Name of Business" Would that just be my name? (And yes I am using a referral. I will pm the lucky roulette winner after I'm done!)

I agree with @SouthFayetteFan with this being a personal decision just like how we each use our points to suit our specific needs. With that said, I will share what I do and why.

I view my points and miles a lot like an investment portfolio. I never want to put all of my eggs in one basket. Diversify is what I do. We go through a LOT of points and miles every year. I need to have a number of programs to switch to as I build up balances in whatever I just depleted. Sometimes what I planned with one program won’t work the way I intended. Having a plan B, C and D means I won’t have to cancel a planned vacation and come to a complete stop. All I need to do is switch gears. It’s happened to me more than once. If I did not have another points or miles program to switch to I would have been faced with cancelling our plans or spending a lot of money out of pocket.

The main programs I focus on are UR, SPG, MR, AA and UA. We also keep have fairly high balances with Marriott, Hilton, Club Carlson and Delta. I will likely pick up another card that earns TY points in a couple of years too. Every few years we will pick a cash back card as well.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve also never had a point go to waste since I just focus on what is variable and what I know I will use. This is why I have never gone after the SW cards and CP. I think the program is awesome but it doesn’t work for our travel goals.
Thanks for adding on to my comment :) - you provide amazing information here! I love how you call it an investment portfolio - I think the same way. I know right now that my "churning net worth" is $15,969 which is the combined value of the these points: Southwest RRs, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, Chase URs and AMEX MRs, and lest I forget $40 worth of American miles hahaha. Depending on where I am in the earn/burn cycle that number goes up and down.

I'll add one additional comment here that if you understand how point expiration works with the various programs it can help. Things like MRs and URs don't expire as long as you have an active card in that program. Some programs expire after 12 months, others 18 months, and others 24 months after no activity. If you have the CC activity is easy - just spend $1 every so often. Some programs don't expire at all. I know this has been discussed before but it's relevant to this specific topic here because as you "diversify" ;) as you say...as long as you have a method to keep the points active you can put them to good use in the future.

I'm thinking of doing a survey around the programs we participate in, point balances, valuations, etc. but I want to spend time on it to make it meaningful. I think these surveys have been great for many reasons. But mainly I think it's fun for people think about what this hobby has done for them AND educational as we learn about different cards or programs that we hadn't considered before.

Okay, so I am ready to start my app for the CIP. First question and I'm stumped...."Legal Name of Business" Would that just be my name? (And yes I am using a referral. I will pm the lucky roulette winner after I'm done!)

i dont think you have a choice... lol. If you have an legal Name of Business, chances are, you have an EIN. it looks terrible on the card though... its says My name, then my name again. lol

You can just use your name as a ‘sole proprieter’. Good luck!!

Well crap. I got the 30 day notice. I really need this card now to make the $5k spend. $7k in business income with 2 years in business and a low six figure for household. :(

Oh and 834 and 832 FICO. Double boo.

Well crap. I got the 30 day notice. I really need this card now to make the $5k spend. $7k in business income with 2 years in business and a low six figure for household. :(

Oh and 834 and 832 FICO. Double boo.
Call the automated status line until it changes from 30 days to something else. Either an approval message (fingers crossed), 2 weeks (most likely good), or 7-10 days (most likely bad). Just don't call a human!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter