I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was last week. The answer this week is 1920. I tweeted a few times, but got points in response to:
1920 @NFL #RewardsPoints with a retweet of the Marriott tweet

Yep, you're right. I copied my wrong tweet to here. I did tweet the correct thing for today and never heard anything. I think I'm doomed with this promotion.

Yep, you're right. I copied my wrong tweet to here. I did tweet the correct thing for today and never heard anything. I think I'm doomed with this promotion.

:love: You have until 8:00 eastern time. I have sometimes needed to try many times..
Give me a lady in labor or a breastfeeding problem and I know what to do. Twitter not so much.

:love: You have until 8:00 eastern time. I have sometimes needed to try many times..
Give me a lady in labor or a breastfeeding problem and I know what to do. Twitter not so much.

I'll try again.

I do social media marketing for a living, ha! There's some issue between my Marriott account and Twitter. I thought I had it fixed but I guess not... I was originally in as a Ritz Carlton member and that confused it all from the get go basically.

Hi there. I'm working on ways to pay for a Disney cruise next June. I got the Barclays Arrival+ about a month back with the 50,000 miles offer that I'll be able to turn into $500 or so. Any other tips/tricks you guys wouldn't mind offering up? I follow this thread but have a hard time keeping up with some aspects of the discussions at times. Is it possible to turn something like the points from the Chase Sapphire Preferred into a statement credit? I really appreciate any advice.

Makes me 3/24 now.

Problem is I'm not sure if I want to do CSP or CSR?

Then I will get a business card. Lain had suggested I get CIP then possibly apply for CSP/CSR same day. Great strategy at the time but things changed.

My last slot will be the Marriott personal if all stays in place.

You might be able to get all of the CIP, CSR, CSP, and Marriott cards even if you're at 3/24 right now.

If you get the CIP next, it's a business card and won't count against a 5/24 slot; you'll still be 3/24.

Then get the Marriott personal card, which is a 5/24 card and will count against a 5/24 slot, bringing you to 4/24.

With your last slot, apply for both the CSP and CSR on the same day using the double dip trick. Although Chase's new one Sapphire rule usually prevents getting approved for one of these cards when you have (been approved for) the other, it doesn't look like you have a CSP or CSR already, or received a Sapphire bonus in the last 24 months, and a lot of DPs are reporting that they've been approved for both cards when applying on the same day, around the same time, using different browsers or windows cleared of cookies in incognito mode. This same method that lets you go for 5/24 and 6/24 at the same time with your last slot is why going for CSR and CSP at the same time also works. Basically, you're trying to time it so you can get approved for that extra card before the first one hits your credit report.

Caution! Just because people are reporting that they were able to get approved for both the CSP and CSR, does not mean we know yet whether they'll receive the respective 50k UR bonuses for both cards. The new one Sapphire bonus in the last 24 month rule is supposed to limit you to one 50k UR bonus. I haven't seen any DP reporting that using the double dip trick to get both the CSP and CSR cards gets you two bonuses. Maybe by the time you apply, there will be some DPs to that point.

Okay, I am full of posts today!

This post has to do with annual fees and possibly cancelling an annual fee card that I've had for 17 years.

I read some where today that the Amex 'lifetime' bonus was considered to be 7-8 years.
I've had SPG Amex for 17 years. Early on the card paid for itself in free rooms and point earning promos through SPG. Than I used it almost exclusively for most of my spend. That severely waned when I got the Costco Citi card and Costco stopped taking Amex.

I've picked up enough 'offer' money to cover the fee in the past couple years also so the fee is a non issue. I'm just getting greedy and thinking of cancelling in a year or so and reapplying to get the bonus.

Actually, I can't remember if I got a bonus 17 years ago!

Not worried about age of credit as I have plenty of cards, at least 4-5 that I've had just as long with high credit limits, so I think the hit would be marginal and short lived. Each of my older cards has a little job - ie one pays the cell, another pays a different cell, etc. I manage them well and keep them working for me, although some of them get a bit lazy now and then.

So, would I get another SPG bonus? Or would Amex tell me to go fly a kite?

Credit cards generally stay on your report for 7-8 years from last activity. So if you cancel the card today, it won't drop from your report for 7-8 years. That is just too long for me to say if you would get a new bonus.

I agree with @Jen and Ashwin, your Amex SPG would fall off your credit report 7-8 years after you close it so it wouldn't be helpful for you to close that card in the short term. 17 years is a long time. If it's your oldest card, or close to it, you'll probably take a big hit on your average age of accounts metric for your credit reports, especially if you're considering opening up a bunch of new cards.

I'd suggest the next time the Amex SPG's annual fee posts, call Amex's retention line and tell them, after 17 years, you're considering canceling the card because you can't justify the annual fee; ask them if they can offer you anything that might help you make the decision to keep the card. You might be offered a statement credit or points after spend that could offset the fee. It helps if you've put a good amount of spending on the card in the year leading up to the annual fee so they see you as a customer they want to keep. Since SPG points have such great redemption value, I wouldn't mind charging non-bonus category spending to it. I know several posters in this thread use their Amex SPG as their daily driver.

Regarding the Chase 5/24 rule, I should apply for Chase cards for my first 5 cards, then once I have opened 5 chase accounts apply for any others? ( did open a Bank of America account in Dec before knowing all of this so that will count too.) I am making a list of the credit cards I want and what dates to apply.

The exceptions to the 5/24 rule are:
Chase Hyatt
Chase IHG
Chase Ritz-Carlton
Chase Marriott Premier Business
Chase British Airways
Chase Amazon
Chase Disney

Thank you! So these include all applied for, even rejected? I"m sorry if I"m being redundant. I applied for a CSR and definitely got rejected, so that goes is counted as part of the 5?

Thanks!!

Only approved cards count. NOT rejections.

Chase's 5/24 rule counts approvals, or new cards opened; not applications or rejections.

Chase has another rule regarding applications -- the 0/30 or 2/30 rule. The 2/30 rule applies to Chase's personal credit card and says that you can only have 2 applications every 30 days or else you’ll be rejected. The 0/30 rule applies to Chase's business cards and says you can't have any other applications for credit/charge cards in the last 30 days or you'll be denied.

Chase's 5/24 rule counts approvals, or new cards opened; not applications or rejections.

Chase has another rule regarding applications -- the 0/30 or 2/30 rule. The 2/30 rule applies to Chase's personal credit card and says that you can only have 2 applications every 30 days or else you’ll be rejected. The 0/30 rule applies to Chase's business cards and says you can't have any other applications for credit/charge cards in the last 30 days or you'll be denied.

Thanks so much for clearing this up. So, this is probably why I'll be denied for the Ink card. I applied for the CSR and CIP within 24 hours. I called and I did in deed get rejected for the CSR (I have a CSP already) but the agent said the Ink is still in review. I don't have any hopes that I'll be approved but I wonder why it wasn't rejected by now like the other on was.

I agree with @Jen and Ashwin, your Amex SPG would fall off your credit report 7-8 years after you close it so it wouldn't be helpful for you to close that card in the short term. 17 years is a long time. If it's your oldest card, or close to it, you'll probably take a big hit on your average age of accounts metric for your credit reports, especially if you're considering opening up a bunch of new cards.

I'd suggest the next time the Amex SPG's annual fee posts, call Amex's retention line and tell them, after 17 years, you're considering canceling the card because you can't justify the annual fee; ask them if they can offer you anything that might help you make the decision to keep the card. You might be offered a statement credit or points after spend that could offset the fee. It helps if you've put a good amount of spending on the card in the year leading up to the annual fee so they see you as a customer they want to keep. Since SPG points have such great redemption value, I wouldn't mind charging non-bonus category spending to it. I know several posters in this thread use their Amex SPG as their daily driver.

Almost all my spend used to go on the card until recently. Since I'm older I've got at least 4 -5 cards that are 20 plus years old. I could try the retention line call. I was actually asking if I could reapply and get the bonus again since my account was so old.

The other hotel cards give you a free night or points so the annual fee is a wash. My SPG is borderline not earning its keep right now as the offers I'm getting aren't ones I use. I'll give it some time and see how it goes.

For those of you that have traveled across the pond with children, how do you entertain them on the 10 hour flights? Also, if you had your choice of flying business class on either the flight there or back which would you pick?
Our summer 2019 trip:
Barcelona, Disney Med Cruise, Copenhagen and Amsterdam.
We'll be taking advantage of United's Excursionist free flight to get to Copenhagen, and buy cheap flights to Amsterdam - SAS is $ 75/person - unless you all have suggestions on using points to fly. United is 15k, AF is 10.5k and BA is 9k miles.

Those deals are usually credit cards. A few years ago I bought a sewing machine under the same terms, 0% for 60 months. It was a credit card through Synchrony bank, but I knew that going into it. I suggest to anyone that when you apply for any kind of financing, you ask lots of questions so you know exactly what you are getting (loan v. CC) and how it will impact your plans.
I would 2nd that. The sad thing is I read the application before signing and still did not pick up on the type of loan. I think I would have needed a neon spotlight to bring it to my attention.

For those of you that have traveled across the pond with children, how do you entertain them on the 10 hour flights? Also, if you had your choice of flying business class on either the flight there or back which would you pick?
Our summer 2019 trip:
We'll be taking advantage of United's Excursionist free flight to get to Copenhagen, and buy cheap flights to Amsterdam - SAS is $ 75/person - unless you all have suggestions on using points to fly. United is 15k, AF is 10.5k and BA is 9k miles.

If I had to choose flying business there or back, I think I'd choose back just to give us something to look forward to. The return is always less exciting than the flight going out.

That stinks. When will you be under 5/24? I know I am 8/24 but I have a bunch dropping off beginning of 2018, so if I was patient (I'm not) I could get under by mid 2018.
My oldest Chase was CSR opened when they rolled it out last year. I had 2 other CC but they had been opened a long, long time ago. I would have to wait until 9/2018. I might get the IT and then just sit it out until my Chase cc start to drop off.

At this point my plan is to fly to from EWR to HNL on United, business class, stopping at LAX on the way there and back. This would be July or the month of August (I wish it could be 2018 but I'm sure it will have to be 2019). I'd do a stop for 4 days on both ends in LAX (Disneyland and other destinations), with 7 nights in Hawaii.

I wish I could do a search to see what a Business class reward ticket would be, but since I don't have a United credit card they won't show me. Does anyone think I could get one ticket for 100k miles? I'm hoping it's not 200k since it's multi destination. The goal is to buy two tickets and use miles for the other two. I wonder how long it would take to save that up if I strategically open the right Chase accounts. I don't think AMEX points will help me for United.

Anyone have any input? Thanks! :)

Our summer 2019 trip:

I typically fly whatever has the longest flight time. If flight time isnt an issue, i will fly there in business class. for what reason, 1) Your usually too excited to sleep, so a better sleep will definitely help you sleep better. If your well rested, u can explore on the first time of arrival. 2) Flying back, im usually do damn tired that i will pass out quickly in an economy seat. haha.

Ok so don't have a twitter account or Facebook. If I sign up for a twitter account to get the Marriott points. How do I get these points? Sorry have no clue on using either. I know someone had posted something about setting up an account. What page is that on? Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter