• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Executive card renews in November, so I guess it depends what month you signed up. Anyway that check is gone - I went to Costco with daughter and we stocked up on diapers, formula, etc.
She gets half after we take the fee out and I spend the remaining half. Win win for her family as I spent mine on the grand daughters!

You can cash out the rewards check, then use that money to pay off your credit card that earns you better cash back, points or miles.

You can cash out the rewards check, then use that money to pay off your credit card that earns you better cash back, points or miles.

Thanks for posting Lain! I am busy stalking the board looking for the advice post you gave me a few weeks back! I want to review it again and decide what my next target will be.

Would anyone here be interested in forming a private Facebook group where we could provide referrals?
It sounds good on the surface but sometimes these groups can cause infighting. With it being a private group and with the right rules it could be successful.

EDIT: that said I'd love to see people help disboards folks make their Disney vacations real vs random people on other sites (who often belittle the Disney vacationer).

Thanks for posting Lain! I am busy stalking the board looking for the advice post you gave me a few weeks back! I want to review it again and decide what my next target will be.

No problem! Just cash out the check with a cashier next time.

Just an FYI, I have had both the annual fee card and the fee card and rec'd $200 gift card on each.

I am holding in my hand my expired no fee card and my unexpired no fee card.

The account number is the same.

The only difference is that the old one says 'Disney Premier'. I was confused about this for at least a year, thinking I had 2 fee cards!

Anyway, I previously cancelled the fee card (or lets say the one I believed was the fee card). I kept the no fee card for the Disney perks.

It is possible you have the old version of the no fee card which also provided $200 gift card depending on when you applied.
No. I applied for the no-fee card last year through a referral that got me the $200 gift card. That gift card was received, loaded to the gift card site, and spent many months ago.

I just applied and was approved for the Disney Premier card earlier this month (around the 6th, I think). I received the card a few days later, met the spend in one day (purchased $500 Disney gift card), and my statement closed yesterday.

This recent card is a "Disney Premier" according to the offer I was responding to when I applied, the card itself (says "Premier" under "Disney" on the front), and the literature that came with the card. It's a completely different account number than my no-fee card from last year (which is still open). I have also SMed Chase to make sure I will get the $200 gift card, and they assured me that I would, and referred to the card as my "Disney Premier" Visa.

On my Chase accounts page, the card is called a "Disney Rewards" Visa, and this is what is printed on the statement pdf as well. I'm not sure why that is, probably just a peculiarity that means nothing.

At this point, I'm thinking they just held off on posting the AF until the next statement. And after thinking it through and talking to some other folks, I'm not going to downgrade or cancel the card. I'll pay the fee (assuming they ever post it) and keep it through the year. I've got 10 Disney Rewards points on it now, so maybe I can get 10 more out of it over the year and then redeem my card and cancel/downgrade before the AF rolls around again.

Found it on page 353.

Turns out I was actually (probably) at 2/24 because according to Dr of Credit, store cards don't count against 5/24 if the card is not branded so as to be able to use outside the store.

So, because a new Hyatt is being built where I go on one of my little getaways and will be ready for booking fairly soon, I went ahead and applied for the Hyatt. Got the card and finished the $2000 spend yesterday. So that's out of the way and now I'm looking at UR points cards. I want to time the applications with buying my new roof, so I'm not in a huge hurry. Roof cost will cover one of those high spend cards easily.
So, Citi - June 2016 - drops off 6/2018
UsBank Club Carlson - 5/2017 - drops off 5/2019
Hyatt - 9/2017 - drops off 9/2019
Makes me 3/24 now.

Problem is I'm not sure if I want to do CSP or CSR?

Then I will get a business card. Lain had suggested I get CIP then possibly apply for CSP/CSR same day. Great strategy at the time but things changed.

My last slot will be the Marriott personal if all stays in place.

For me this will be a slower process. I have time to wait and watch for better opportunities, even of some good ones get away!

No. I applied for the no-fee card last year through a referral that got me the $200 gift card. That gift card was received, loaded to the gift card site, and spent many months ago.

I just applied and was approved for the Disney Premier card earlier this month (around the 6th, I think). I received the card a few days later, met the spend in one day (purchased $500 Disney gift card), and my statement closed yesterday.

This recent card is a "Disney Premier" according to the offer I was responding to when I applied, the card itself (says "Premier" under "Disney" on the front), and the literature that came with the card. It's a completely different account number than my no-fee card from last year (which is still open). I have also SMed Chase to make sure I will get the $200 gift card, and they assured me that I would, and referred to the card as my "Disney Premier" Visa.

On my Chase accounts page, the card is called a "Disney Rewards" Visa, and this is what is printed on the statement pdf as well. I'm not sure why that is, probably just a peculiarity that means nothing.

At this point, I'm thinking they just held off on posting the AF until the next statement. And after thinking it through and talking to some other folks, I'm not going to downgrade or cancel the card. I'll pay the fee (assuming they ever post it) and keep it through the year. I've got 10 Disney Rewards points on it now, so maybe I can get 10 more out of it over the year and then redeem my card and cancel/downgrade before the AF rolls around again.

If I hadn't cancelled mine I'd go back and look at the online statements to see when the fee posted. My point was my no fee card also said Disney Premier as you described. The new one doesn't however.

Okay, I am full of posts today!

This post has to do with annual fees and possibly cancelling an annual fee card that I've had for 17 years.

I read some where today that the Amex 'lifetime' bonus was considered to be 7-8 years.
I've had SPG Amex for 17 years. Early on the card paid for itself in free rooms and point earning promos through SPG. Than I used it almost exclusively for most of my spend. That severely waned when I got the Costco Citi card and Costco stopped taking Amex.

I've picked up enough 'offer' money to cover the fee in the past couple years also so the fee is a non issue. I'm just getting greedy and thinking of cancelling in a year or so and reapplying to get the bonus.

Actually, I can't remember if I got a bonus 17 years ago!

Not worried about age of credit as I have plenty of cards, at least 4-5 that I've had just as long with high credit limits, so I think the hit would be marginal and short lived. Each of my older cards has a little job - ie one pays the cell, another pays a different cell, etc. I manage them well and keep them working for me, although some of them get a bit lazy now and then.

So, would I get another SPG bonus? Or would Amex tell me to go fly a kite?

No Marriott points yesterday or today. Tried manually four different times yesterday. Tried twice this morning and just did the NFL tweet, still nothing. I don’t have a lot of twitter followers but I’m afraid even the few I have will start getting annoyed with all the Marriott tweeting.

Okay, I am full of posts today!

This post has to do with annual fees and possibly cancelling an annual fee card that I've had for 17 years.

I read some where today that the Amex 'lifetime' bonus was considered to be 7-8 years.
I've had SPG Amex for 17 years. Early on the card paid for itself in free rooms and point earning promos through SPG. Than I used it almost exclusively for most of my spend. That severely waned when I got the Costco Citi card and Costco stopped taking Amex.

I've picked up enough 'offer' money to cover the fee in the past couple years also so the fee is a non issue. I'm just getting greedy and thinking of cancelling in a year or so and reapplying to get the bonus.

Actually, I can't remember if I got a bonus 17 years ago!

Not worried about age of credit as I have plenty of cards, at least 4-5 that I've had just as long with high credit limits, so I think the hit would be marginal and short lived. Each of my older cards has a little job - ie one pays the cell, another pays a different cell, etc. I manage them well and keep them working for me, although some of them get a bit lazy now and then.

So, would I get another SPG bonus? Or would Amex tell me to go fly a kite?

Credit cards generally stay on your report for 7-8 years from last activity. So if you cancel the card today, it won't drop from your report for 7-8 years. That is just too long for me to say if you would get a new bonus.

I did my regular tweet earlier today and got 50 points, then I tweeted for the 1000, but didn't get anything.

ok, I'm determined to get the points this time, but a total newbie for twitter, so can someone spell it out one last time so I know how to do this from scratch, please, I'm trying to do the daily 50 also, but only seem to get them some times, so obviously not doing something right all the time

No Marriott points yesterday or today. Tried manually four different times yesterday. Tried twice this morning and just did the NFL tweet, still nothing. I don’t have a lot of twitter followers but I’m afraid even the few I have will start getting annoyed with all the Marriott tweeting.

I have "dummy" twitter accounts for this kind of activity. You should make yourself a new account just for Marriott points and other such stuff.

It sounds good on the surface but sometimes these groups can cause infighting. With it being a private group and with the right rules it could be successful.

EDIT: that said I'd love to see people help disboards folks make their Disney vacations real vs random people on other sites (who often belittle the Disney vacationer).
My idea would be essentially people from this thread. It would be only for referrals. Post your wanted referral, first to respond gets to send referral link. If fighting ensued, shut down the group. But everyone here is pretty nice :flower:so far.

Regarding the Chase 5/24 rule, I should apply for Chase cards for my first 5 cards, then once I have opened 5 chase accounts apply for any others? ( did open a Bank of America account in Dec before knowing all of this so that will count too.) I am making a list of the credit cards I want and what dates to apply.

The exceptions to the 5/24 rule are:
Chase Hyatt
Chase IHG
Chase Ritz-Carlton
Chase Marriott Premier Business
Chase British Airways
Chase Amazon
Chase Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter