I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, what credit monitoring / FICO monitoring systems are you all using? I got an email from BOA that I can get free FICO monitoring on my Spirit card. Seems Chase does not offer that unless you have a Slate card. I've not looked into what "free" really means yet.

BTW, what credit monitoring / FICO monitoring systems are you all using? I got an email from BOA that I can get free FICO monitoring on my Spirit card. Seems Chase does not offer that unless you have a Slate card. I've not looked into what "free" really means yet.

Credit Karma.
my discover card, citi bank card and Salle mae card all give me my FICO scores for free... haha.

Your right about Chase, def weird they dont offer it...

Amex gives my FICO, too :)

You dont need to cancel your card. You can product change your card to a Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom Unlimited. You still keep your points, you just lose the ability to transfer to partners and travel % discount from the portal.

I just recently product change my Chase Sapphire Preferred to a Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Since I just got the CSR, I am planning to convert the CSP to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card. I already have the Freedom -- would Chase let me have another? Or is my only option the Freedom Unlimited?

Since I just got the CSR, I am planning to convert the CSP to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card. I already have the Freedom -- would Chase let me have another? Or is my only option the Freedom Unlimited?
u could get another freedom card. I'd get the freedom unlimited if u can't max out the $1500 per quarter. but ultimately, the choice is up to u. :)

u could get another freedom card. I'd get the freedom unlimited if u can't max out the $1500 per quarter. but ultimately, the choice is up to u. :)

Thanks. So with a second Freedom card I would have $3000 per quarter?

I definitely could spend that if the bonus categories are similar to this year's. I doubt, though, that warehouse stores will be on the list next year (I've read that Costco's switch from AmEx to Visa influenced that this year). Does Chase release the whole year's bonus categories at once or only one quarter at a time?

Thanks. So with a second Freedom card I would have $3000 per quarter?

I definitely could spend that if the bonus categories are similar to this year's. I doubt, though, that warehouse stores will be on the list next year (I've read that Costco's switch from AmEx to Visa influenced that this year). Does Chase release the whole year's bonus categories at once or only one quarter at a time?

a quarter at a time... this year however, everything changed(1st quarter used to always be grocery stores, then gas, then restaurant, but this year, it was gas, grocery stores and restaurant)... :\ My feeling is that the wholesale cat wont be there next year(the full year). maybe that one quarter where its groceries.
Similar to this year's 4th quarter where its not amazon, but drug stores/wholesale stores/department stores(there is a strategy on maxing out though). I guess ill be using my ink+ card for amazon this year.

Do Staples/Office Depot/Office max sells walmart gift cards? thats another way at it.

What i did was gyft.com. I noticed walmart giftcards also work at sams club. purchase $50 walmart gift card(codes 5x for office supplies via paypal). Then go to samsclub.com, purchase $50 Disney gift card that is already at 5% discount.
net is 10% discount...
i had around $8.00 left on my walmart gift card. I went to all the way from applying gift cards to complete order and it applied the $8 in and charging my credit card with the rest. Im not sure if there is any effects after the complete order menu.

only limit might be the 1 $500 discount per purchase i bet.

Why paypal? So with ink+ I can buy 2 x 250 Walmart cards through gyft.com that will code as an office purchase for 5 x point credit @ $1 then use them for $500 Disney GC through Sam's Club website for $475 (5%)

Why paypal? So with ink+ I can buy 2 x 250 Walmart cards through gyft.com that will code as an office purchase for 5 x point credit @ $1 then use them for $500 Disney GC through Sam's Club website for $475 (5%)

not sure, but its how paypal+gift gets coded to the 5x category. paying with ink+ directly on gyft doesnt code to 5x. its weird i know...
You should be able to buy 2x$250, 5x points there. then buy Disney GC from Sams Club. You should try buying a cheaper on first to test it out though. if it works, then go up in value. I just thought about it at the moment and tested it, but didnt go all the way. If u do go for it, let us know! :D

edit: this is basically how credit card churners do, trial and error... :D

I've been looking, but can't find anything referring to the transfer you're talking about. Are there any links that explain this? Sounds like it must be a good deal!

Once you apply for the card and receive it you would be able to refer someone else to apply. You would do it directly from the Amex website. I took a screenshot and erased my info to show you what the page looks like. I hope that helps.

SPG refer.png

Nah, way too complicated. We were using a Disney Visa primarily (and earning around $1000 per year that we put towards our DL annual passes.) I signed up for the CSR simply for the bonus points, but will likely make that our primary card from now on and keep the Disney Visa as secondary since it earns 2X on grocery and gas (CSR only earns 1x on those categories) and then use the CSR for travel and dining spending.

My credit score is 790. I'm not worried about it, but I don't want it to go down by continuously opening and cancelling accounts.

Our first experience with the whole points earning thing was a few years before we really discovered travel hacking and it was with the Disney Visa. This was before they came out with the premier card. We used it to pay for a couple DVC member cruises. Then when we got started doing this I was keeping post-it notes on my cards so I would know what card offered how many points and on what category. DH would just call me and say, "I am going to go buy xxx, what store do I go to and which card do I use?" No more post it notes for me but I do put them on my mom's cards so she can come with us on vacation from time to time and fly up front. I still find manufactured spending a bit complicated and intimidating now that it is not as easy to do. But, with nothing but time on my hands while I wait to be under 5/24 so I can apply for this blasted CSR card, I will be trying out some of the new (to me) methods. Anyhow, I did want to let you know what the travel hacker bloggers are saying is the break even point for spend on the CSR vs the CSP to justify the fee on one over the other. If you spend $3200 yearly on dining and travel then they say you should keep the CSR card after the first year. If you spend less than that annual on dining and travel then they say you should downgrade to the CSP card. Hope that helps you and anyone else following along.

Don't forget you are also allowed to get your credit report once a year from all three bureaus.

I was going to go through the BoA offer but reading through the disclaimer and conditions changed my mind. Really a PITA I walk away feeling like it was just short of a spam.

Credit Karma.
my discover card, citi bank card and Salle mae card all give me my FICO scores for free... haha.

Your right about Chase, def weird they dont offer it...

I also use Credit Karma and would recommend them.

not sure, but its how paypal+gift gets coded to the 5x category. paying with ink+ directly on gyft doesnt code to 5x. its weird i know...
You should be able to buy 2x$250, 5x points there. then buy Disney GC from Sams Club. You should try buying a cheaper on first to test it out though. if it works, then go up in value. I just thought about it at the moment and tested it, but didnt go all the way. If u do go for it, let us know! :D

edit: this is basically how credit card churners do, trial and error... :D

Ok thanks for confirming, I thought that's what you meant. The only Chase card I have is CSR so I am in fact finding mode to confirm what cards I will apply for next.

Would the Costco Citi (automatically transferrred from Costco Amex) count toward the 5/24? Also, I assume the Delta Amex my employer gave me in my name is an AU. Just trying to keep track of where I'm at.

it will count if you applied for it in the past 24 months. The transfer from amex --> citi should not do anything to your credit report.
What is an AU? I was told that the AMEX issued through my company was not tied to my SS#, could it still count as an AU.

What is an AU? I was told that the AMEX issued through my company was not tied to my SS#, could it still count as an AU.
Well when I activated mine I had to put in my ss# so I assumed that counted as an authorized user???

AU is Authorized User. The Chase cards limit you to 5 new cards in 24 months. There is debate on whether a card you hold only as an AU counts. I.E. if my wife opens a new Chase card and sets me up as an AU on her card, does that count toward the 5/24 for ME. It certainly does for her since she isn't an AU but a main user.

just a word to the wise: Credit Karma offers Vantage (FAKO) Scores - NOT FICO scores. It's a good resource for keep track of how your accounts are reporting to TU and EQ, but don't rely on them for scores - as they are not true FICO scores that lenders actually use. Many credit cards offer the various FICO scores for free (they have been mentioned in previous posts- most are TU, some are EQ, and if you need Experian - Amex has those).

I just setup the FICO monitor on BOA. I read through the disclaimers and didn't see anything concerning. Got my FICO, then signed up for CreditKarma and got that. Wow. In May I refinanced my mortgage to take advantage of a better rate now that I am under 70% LTV; paid off an outstanding home equity line. At the time my FICO was between 710-740 for the three companies. Today, FICO 810; FAKO 801/805. Utilization has to be a significant factor in that jump. About a year and a half ago my FICO was under 650 due to an issue from 8 years ago. Nice to have it drop off the reports.

Can I product change a Disney Visa to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited?

From what I have read, you cannot product a co brand card to a UR card or vice versa. Supposedly PCs are only allowed within the same family of cards. However, that may also depend on the terms of the co-brand issuer. I have read that the United card does not allow product changes. The Disney Visa may be different. I do know that you need at least $5,000 on the credit line to open a Freedom. My suggestion would be to send a secure message through your online account and ask. I have read that not all phone reps are adept at PCs so the best route is via secure message. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

From what I have read, you cannot product a co brand card to a UR card or vice versa. Supposedly PCs are only allowed within the same family of cards. However, that may also depend on the terms of the co-brand issuer. I have read that the United card does not allow product changes. The Disney Visa may be different. I do know that you need at least $5,000 on the credit line to open a Freedom. My suggestion would be to send a secure message through your online account and ask. I have read that not all phone reps are adept at PCs so the best route is via secure message. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

are u sure about that? i had a freedom(has since been promoted... ;)) that was below $5000. I know Visa Signature requires $5k+, CSP requires 5k+, CSR requires 10K+ because of the visa signature/visa infinite. I do have a friend who recently opened a $4k freedom unlimited though, wasnt a visa signature card though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter