I love credit cards so much!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by FairestOfThemAll37, Jul 18, 2016.

1. DisneyMandC

DisneyMandC DIS Veteran

Just set up my Chase $300 bonus account. Transferred $25 from Fidelity, so I'll wait to make sure I get the bonus and then send the remainder from Ally. Thanks to everyone who walked me through this, particularly @havaneselover! I don't know why bank accounts make me so nervous. I guess because I'm playing with "real money" and not credit card points and miles, regardless of their cash value.

I don't know where my brain has been this week, but it just occurred to me that I can open a Chase account for DH too and do the same thing from his Fidelity account!

2. havaneselover

havaneselover Dreaming about a Disney cruise

Yay--glad this worked for you too! So glad they opened a branch in NoVA. Would be nice if they came to Richmond.

It is pretty easy but I'm also cautious on this.

And I was finally able to link my Capital One account to my Chase Savings account. Technically I think Monday is my 10th business day and I don't think my funds will hit until Tuesday. But I do have an email from Chase saying "by September 30th" so I think I'm fine.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

If you open up a new credit card, what do you want out of it? Travel rewards, free bags, cash back?

Very few of the more rewarding cards have a low minimum spending requirement of $500 or $1k; you'd be asked to put $3k-$5k to qualify for the signup bonus. Do you typically put everything on credit cards (and of course, pay them off every month) or do you do cash, checks, and debit?

Is signing up for credit cards for travel rewards towards future trips or trips you might not otherwise take, or cash back something you're interested in pursuing going forward, or is this a one-off thing for the plane tickets?

tink1970 and palhockeymomof2 like this.
  5. striker1064

striker1064 Mouseketeer

P2 applied for a BoA Biz Cash card last night ($200 after $500 spend), which I've had previously and was auto-approved for a couple months ago. It went pending, so I called BoA this morning.

So first of all, getting connected to the right small biz department at BoA took around 20 minutes in itself. That was annoying.

The rep said the application could not be approved until I provided articles of incorporation, documentation proving ownership of the business, two years of business tax returns, and two years of personal tax returns.

I said "Sir, I'm sorry, but I'm a sole proprietor with a single rental property. I don't even have an EIN. What should I do?" He said just to send whatever I had with the letter that comes and the department would review it for approval.

Yeah, I don't think P2 is getting this card. Oh well.

tink1970 and palhockeymomof2 like this.
  6. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

@Limes96 originally asked the question, but I know a few folks are using the Plastiq Masterpass promo, so here goes:

I reposted this r/churning comment the other day, about the Masterpass promo applying to payments scheduled to be processed as late as 10/1, but delivered on 10/11: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/9culx1/daily_discussion_thread_september_04_2018/e5e7g1n/

This blog did similar test payments to see when's the last date you can schedule payments with no fee, and it looks like 9/30 or 10/1, even though the payment won't be delivered until as late as 10/9.

The second link notes the conflicting language in Plastiq's Masterpass promo terms:
    • Submit or schedule payments between June 1, 2018 12:00 a.m. ET and September 30, 2018 11:59 p.m. ET.
    • The payments’ delivery date must be before or on September 30, 2018.
    The terms say you need to schedule payments by 9/30/18, but that the payment must also be delivered by 9/30/18. Anyone who's used Plastiq knows that even electronic payments take a few days to be delivered. It seems the first term is controlling -- schedule your payments by 9/30/18 -- and Plastiq has built in a grace period for delivery.

pillow, kmc8826, SBWB48 and 2 others like this.
  7. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

Did you put on your high voice and pretend to be Mrs. striker1064?

CyndiLouWho, tink1970, SBWB48 and 4 others like this.
  8. 570traveler

570traveler Mouseketeer

We don’t put a lot on credit each month (we have very little bills that could even be put on one). We do pay off our bills each month.
    I’m basically looking for a way to maximize this purchase. Either with my current cards or by being able to quickly open another card. As I said we don’t really fly often so don’t necessarily need the perks (free bags, etc).

9. SouthFayetteFan

SouthFayetteFan Saving Money on Disney Vacations since 2006

I would downgrade your CSR to another Freedom. Some of those categories are easy to max out and so instead of earning 7,500 URs in a quarter you could earn 15,000 URs in a quarter (with 2 CFs). I would focus on continuing to earn URs then, but don't use them (just accrue them).

When you have a substantial amount of URs, there's a few things you could consider:
    1) Upgrade only to a CSP - you pay the $95 annual fee BUT you can now transfer URs to partners. I seem to recall you fly Southwest sometimes...If you were to transfer your URs to SW, it doesn't matter if you have a CSP, CIP, or CSR - you get the same value
    2) Upgrade to a CSR - you could then double dip the $300 travel credit and MORE than offset your AF. Also you could re-up your TSA Pre or Global Entry. AND now you can redeem at the 1.5x or transfer to partners.

10. hsmamato2

hsmamato2 <font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad

Sorry to requote myself here but I seeking some clarity..... next step for DH accts? Since I'm focused on the Cp/points for the next 3 months, does that mean I should leave other apps alone so he's approved?(I plan sw biz in Oct and pers in Nov.) I confess I haven't thought much at all about cic or cip at ALL. But. Things change,and I'm wondering if it makes sense for him (or me?) to get one of those cards for the 5x at office supply deals.... or am I in too deep with chase already? wwyd if these were your stats? I REALLY want to hear.....

palhockeymomof2 likes this.
  11. FloridaNative8

FloridaNative8 Mouseketeer

That's a lot to deal with - keeping you and yours in prayer!!

tink1970 and Mopedmom1 like this.
  12. palhockeymomof2

palhockeymomof2 DIS Veteran

I’m a slow churner ...and very cautious so if I was in your position...and the CP and SW points are your main goal..I wouldn’t have DH apply for any other Chase cards right now....and would go for the SW cards as you outlined above

hsmamato2 and Disneyonmymind like this.
  13. striker1064

striker1064 Mouseketeer

You know how some banks have that message stating they use voice recording to identify the caller? They're not going to know who the heck she is if she ever calls herself!

14. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

:rotfl2:

tink1970 likes this.
  15. jen7233

jen7233 DIS Veteran

DH got a United ad in the mail yesterday, advertising a 50k bonus. Is this good or just average in anyone's opinion? He has a whopping 949 United points at the moment. Our main goal is flying SW anyway so I've got those cards, but maybe we should have a backup airline!? I'm also just stacking and collecting UR just in case and maybe be able to transfer it to a partner airline if needed.

16. Disneyonmymind

Disneyonmymind DIS Veteran

Has anyone with a delayed sign up bonus passed their MSR date? I wonder if they have started waiting until that date has past before they credit you with the bonus?

17. Lain

Lain DIS Veteran

What airport do you fly out of, and where do your flights usually take you?

The offer on the United Explorer card has, historically, bounced around from 40k United miles to as high as 70k United miles. Occasionally, the points offer may also include a statement credit or waived annual fee. The current public offer on the Explorer card is 40k, and I believe the targeted offer is at a high of 60k. 50k is a decent offer, and it's also the same as the current in-flight offer. This year, my wife has been targeted with mailers for both 50k and 60k offers.

18. hsmamato2

hsmamato2 <font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad

:cheer2:

brownhaired_girl and KPK02090 like this.
  19. DisneyMandC

DisneyMandC DIS Veteran

My MSR date was 9/9. Met MSR 8/17 and still waiting on points.

20. KPK02090

KPK02090 Mouseketeer

I did go yesterday to Best Buy and purchased a DVD (Avengers Infinity War), 2 Dunkin Donut gift cards and a Sephora gift card. Total purchase was $102. I scanned the swagbucks code (my first time using it) and used Chase Pay with my CSR linked. The purchase is still pending on my CSR and I don't see anything for it yet under points. Also nothing showing up on Swagbucks yet.

Will let you know when the points show up on CSR how many I get. Not very confident on getting anything from Swagbucks, even though i should at the very least get 2x points for the DVD.

Calfan likes this.
  21. palhockeymomof2

palhockeymomof2 DIS Veteran

I havent and hope not...the MSR date on the card is in October or November...the delayed posting bonus started sometime in August....