I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an Amex Platinum offer for 100K points. I just got it last night and didn't open it yet, but that's what the envelope said. Is that 100K offer unusual or is it also plentiful? I'm debating about applying for it, but again, haven't read the details yet.
Is that for the personal AMEX or the business. I saw 100k on my mailer and got excited only to
open up and it was the business card. I keep getting 60k offer for personal.

If you got 100k offer for personal im hopeful it may come around again.

Over the past few years they'd release a public offer for 100K and it would be available for about 48 hours. Targeted offers come once in a while. DH and I each have only received one targeted offer for that amount and it was on the business card. We each got the personal card at 100K during one of those public offers that were available for 48 hours. Amex sign up bonuses are once per lifetime so our strategy is to hold out until the offer is really high like 100K.
Didn't they use to have a black card? I remember getting offers for that but saw 450 annual fee
and thought "are they crazy? what fool pays 450 fee?"

Yet i did it for the Chase Reserve:smooth:

Is that for the personal AMEX or the business. I saw 100k on my mailer and got excited only to
open up and it was the business card. I keep getting 60k offer for personal.

If you got 100k offer for personal im hopeful it may come around again.

I'm not sure honestly because I didn't actually open it yet. :) I'll check it tonight when I get home.

Amex black card was way more than $450/year.
Yup my husband just reminded me it was $2500! Yikes! i was way off.

Even before that i remember vaguely that you had to pay some sort of "initiation
fee".

My husband hates to pay a $100 annual fee let alone that much. We are no where
near rich.

Last edited:
Is anybody else using, or planning to use Plastiq for their mortgage or rent payments? There's a lot of positive DPs for both mortgages and rents on the Churning subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...q_coding_as_travel_for_rentmortgage/?sort=new

I submitted my rent payment for May using my CSR through Plastiq to my property manager under the "Rent, Mortgage, and Real Estate" category on 4/19, which was sent on 4/20, and posted to my credit card statement today with the 3x "travel" bonus. Both the principal amount and transaction fee are lumped together as a single charge, and I earned 3x points on the total amount. With rents as high as they are in San Francisco, I'm clearing over 10,000 UR points a month. I've previously used RadPad, but will be switching my payments to Plastiq as long as this works for the lower fee (2.5% vs. 2.99%), unless of course RadPad comes back with a lower fee. Competition is good.

Is anybody else using, or planning to use Plastiq for their mortgage or rent payments? There's a lot of positive DPs for both mortgages and rents on the Churning subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c...q_coding_as_travel_for_rentmortgage/?sort=new

I submitted my rent payment for May using my CSR through Plastiq to my property manager under the "Rent, Mortgage, and Real Estate" category on 4/19, which was sent on 4/20, and posted to my credit card statement today with the 3x "travel" bonus. Both the principal amount and transaction fee are lumped together as a single charge, and I earned 3x points on the total amount. With rents as high as they are in San Francisco, I'm clearing over 10,000 UR points a month. I've previously used RadPad, but will be switching my payments to Plastiq as long as this works for the lower fee (2.5% vs. 2.99%), unless of course RadPad comes back with a lower fee. Competition is good.
10,000 points a month? How much are you paying and what was the fee?
What do you think your net is?

I just got an Amex Platinum offer for 100K points. I just got it last night and didn't open it yet, but that's what the envelope said. Is that 100K offer unusual or is it also plentiful? I'm debating about applying for it, but again, haven't read the details yet.

it varies i guess. im not sure which Amex Platinum ur getting(business or personal) but for business, ive seen as high as 150k. i was getting 1 every other week, but since getting my spg, i get it once a month now.

10k/3 = $3334 payment. Its 2.5% fee so $83 a month extra. if you redeem 8,300pt to cover ur fees. you profit 1700pts. But keeping the points, ur buying 1UR pt @ .83cpp.

I think I'm going to give it a try. My mortgage payment is really low so I'm not going to earn much, but it's more than the zero points I'm earning now. Thanks for sharing this!

My base rent here in San Francisco is over $3000. Small comfort that I can get 3x that in UR points when paying through Plastiq codes my rent under "travel." Plastiq's fee is 2.5% on top of whatever your payment, but you earn the 3x bonus on that fee too.

I figure I'm paying about $0.0083 per 1 UR point, which is worth $0.01 in cash back, and more when redeemed for travel.

it varies i guess. im not sure which Amex Platinum ur getting(business or personal) but for business, ive seen as high as 150k. i was getting 1 every other week, but since getting my spg, i get it once a month now.

10k/3 = $3334 payment. Its 2.5% fee so $83 a month extra. if you redeem 8,300pt to cover ur fees. you profit 1700pts. But keeping the points, ur buying 1UR pt @ .83cpp.

So for those of us new to this....is this a good strategy for earning more UR points?

My base rent here in San Francisco is over $3000. Small comfort that I can get 3x that in UR points when paying through Plastiq codes my rent under "travel." Plastiq's fee is 2.5% on top of whatever your payment, but you earn the 3x bonus on that fee too.

I figure I'm paying about $0.0083 per 1 UR point, which is worth $0.01 in cash back, and more when redeemed for travel.

Housing costs in San Fran are :crazy2:. Sure is beautiful though. So I guess your saying long as you have to pay that bill anyway
might as well make something.

If payment is due the 1st do you suggest making a week before? How soon after you made the payment to Plastiq
did it go through ok with your rental company? thanks

So for those of us new to this....is this a good strategy for earning more UR points?

I'd say so if you have CSR (ETA: or Chase Ink Preferred) because 3x bonus points puts you ahead no matter your rent or mortgage amount. The math changes if your card only gives you 2x or less bonus for travel.

Like @Albort suggested, if you don't like the extra 2.5% transaction fee, you can always redeem part of the points you earned for a statement credit to cover that fee and still have net positive points left over from the rent or mortgage you have to pay every month anyway.

Last edited:

My mortgage is $2100. The fee through plastiq is $52.50. I will get 6,456 UR points. Already a money maker even if I took it as cash back but I will redeem the points for travel. If I did my math right, that is 9,684 points. So, a money maker of about $44.

Just a fyi on the plastiq, I highly recommend making a small payment to begin with. There are DP's that not all mortgages are coding as travel. It does seem like most are but not all. I made $100 payment first to test.

Didn't they use to have a black card? I remember getting offers for that but saw 450 annual fee
and thought "are they crazy? what fool pays 450 fee?"

Yet i did it for the Chase Reserve:smooth:

OOOh, me, me, me! This fool does:rotfl:

CSR, Amex personal Plat, Amex Plat biz, Citi Prestige :rolleyes1

Housing costs in San Fran are :crazy2:. Sure is beautiful though. So I guess your saying long as you have to pay that bill anyway
might as well make something.

If payment is due the 1st do you suggest making a week before? How soon after you made the payment to Plastiq
did it go through ok with your rental company? thanks

Exactly.

Plastiq charges your credit card and then either mails a check out to the payee or submits an electronic payment if the payee is in their system. Plastiq advises 5-7 business days for checks to be made, sent and delivered. So if you have a payment due on the 1st, you'd probably want to submit a payment by the 20th of the month. Today's the 21st, but you might squeak by. Plastiq is located here in San Francisco (I've been unknowingly driving past their offices every morning to work all this time), so you can probably assume checks are mailed via First Class from San Francisco and calculate delivery time from there. ETA: When you are scheduling or submitting a payment, Plastiq has a calendar that shows the estimated delivery date for each date of submission. Plastiq also has a feature that tracks the status of your payment from submission to deposit. Being in San Francisco, my rent payments have always arrived within a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter