I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD got engaged on Saturday- planning a summer 2023 wedding- probably July- so a little over a year to plan. I'm looking for destination ideas for their honeymoon that could be a good redemption for me to use for them. I think ideally they'd like some type of Caribbean/beach vacation and it would be great if it was all inclusive. DD would like to go somewhere besides Mexico just because she'd like to go somewhere she hasn't been before, but not entirely opposed to Mexico. We have lots of Hilton points and opportunites for FNCs, but also have lots of URs we could transfer to Hyatt. We don't have much in Marriott and they seem more difficult to earn for us. I had looked at the Hilton La Romana in DR and also Jamaica Rose Hall (where I know you can use points but not FNC) so would appreciate feedback from anyone who has been to either of those. Also any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Hyatt has some all inclusives in Costa Rica although I can’t speak to them
personally. They are generally well regarded though I always check recent reviews.

Anyone who uses a Bilt Rewards cc now has the option to use points at a 1.25 rate thru their new travel portal. Unlike the travel portals run by Chase or Citi etc...they seem to include Disney hotels and experiences...including park tickets. Seems to have some Universal options too. I do not have this card but need to look into it. Good write up by Gary Leff...

https://viewfromthewing.com/bilt-la...m_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea

DD got engaged on Saturday- planning a summer 2023 wedding- probably July- so a little over a year to plan. I'm looking for destination ideas for their honeymoon that could be a good redemption for me to use for them. I think ideally they'd like some type of Caribbean/beach vacation and it would be great if it was all inclusive. DD would like to go somewhere besides Mexico just because she'd like to go somewhere she hasn't been before, but not entirely opposed to Mexico. We have lots of Hilton points and opportunites for FNCs, but also have lots of URs we could transfer to Hyatt. We don't have much in Marriott and they seem more difficult to earn for us. I had looked at the Hilton La Romana in DR and also Jamaica Rose Hall (where I know you can use points but not FNC) so would appreciate feedback from anyone who has been to either of those. Also any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
Not all inclusive, but I loved Aruba and it would be out of the path of hurricanes!

Well, for the record, I haven't gotten ONE email from Chase in all of my 10+ years of having Chase about bonuses so keeping my eyes peeled here is what I'm going to have to do. Why do they do that to us? Don't they want us to spend money? :mic:

You might want to check your communication preferences on your account and make sure you haven’t opted out of them.

Not all inclusive, but I loved Aruba and it would be out of the path of hurricanes!
Any particular property in Aruba? If Chase would happen to still be doing PYB for dining I could possibly help with meals that way or at least with a card that does statement credits.

I'm about 2 weeks behind on this thread from traveling and getting life back to normal after returning. Figured I'd share:

• Just booked my first 'big' airline redemption. Booked biz class on Aer Lingus from BOS to DUB for next June (50k Avios each for 1 way, I got a Chase Aer Lingus last fall with a 100k SUB). I'll book our return in a week or so when the dates open up, likely just economy since it's a daytime trip.
  • Got my $1500 Wells Fargo Business account deposit while we were gone -- exactly on the day I'd expected/hoped
  • I think someone on these boards is going to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons this summer, that's where we were last week. Had to scramble and book additional nights in the Tetons (Signal Mtn) but was able to grab 1 night at Yellowstone Lake Cabins for the night after the park partially re-opened and made a stop there before heading back to Bozeman to fly home the next day. Trip was great. Happy to answer any questions.

Anyone who uses a Bilt Rewards cc now has the option to use points at a 1.25 rate thru their new travel portal. Unlike the travel portals run by Chase or Citi etc...they seem to include Disney hotels and experiences...including park tickets. Seems to have some Universal options too. I do not have this card but need to look into it. Good write up by Gary Leff...

https://viewfromthewing.com/bilt-la...m_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea

Thanks for the heads-up on this. We have a Bilt card and haven't really explored what could be done with the points yet (other than the 1:1 transfer to Hyatt).

Regarding the extra bonuses, if they already give 5X for gas on the IHG Premier and the extra bonus is 7X for gas, do they stack? I am guessing they don't but it would be great if they did.
In the past they have for me …..when the CFF offered 5x groceries the first year and the quarterly 5x category was grocery…I earned 9x on $1,500 in groceries

Sounds very interesting! But LOL, why have I never heard of a Bilt card?

I'm about 2 weeks behind on this thread from traveling and getting life back to normal after returning. Figured I'd share:

• Just booked my first 'big' airline redemption. Booked biz class on Aer Lingus from BOS to DUB for next June (50k Avios each for 1 way, I got a Chase Aer Lingus last fall with a 100k SUB). I'll book our return in a week or so when the dates open up, likely just economy since it's a daytime trip.
  • Got my $1500 Wells Fargo Business account deposit while we were gone -- exactly on the day I'd expected/hoped
  • I think someone on these boards is going to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons this summer, that's where we were last week. Had to scramble and book additional nights in the Tetons (Signal Mtn) but was able to grab 1 night at Yellowstone Lake Cabins for the night after the park partially re-opened and made a stop there before heading back to Bozeman to fly home the next day. Trip was great. Happy to answer any questions.
Glad to hear you guys had a great trip! We decided to cancel (postpone) our YNP/Tetons trip because they were saying that the North Loop would be closed for the rest of the season, and with the license plate system we thought we'd only be able to enter the park every other day, and when we go we want the full, unrestricted experience. After we cancelled and re-booked everything, then of course they announced the North Loop would open this weekend, and alternate license plate system suspended, so we could've kept our planned trip in August. Oh well. I guess we pulled the plug too early. We are hoping to go next summer instead.

We replaced it with a trip to Zion/Bryce, which has also been on our list, so not all is lost. It's costing us less actual money all around, with the exception being flights (cost a LOT more points than the YNP trip was going to).

As a side note, I followed the advice on hiking packs I got on here, we ordered two off Amazon, and I'm happy to report we're keeping both. Hubby likes one of them, and I like the other, so it worked out really well. I'm happy to share links to the ones we got if anyone needs. We love them! Thanks for the suggestions.

Capital One question - Do they pool miles/points across all cards? I am thinking of the no AF Venture1 card (already have Venture). If I get the no AF card and then close my Venture will I keep all the points? Looking for low MSR and no AF if possible. Not looking at Venture X. Thanks.
Follow up on my Capital One question. I applied and was approved for the Venture1 card. Will it automatically show up in my C1 account?

Where are you flying out of? I was super disappointed with the CDG lounge with the lack of refreshing their cheese selection-it sat out for about 3 hours (yes, we were there a while :laughing: ) but their desserts were good and they had a green salad and a beet salad which were both fairly fresh and refreshing. The butter on the flight was good (the bread was fine-nothing too special, sadly) as were the desserts and the spicy cous cous was a happy surprise for me (I had low expectations). It's nice to have pre-order meal option so you can gauge how much to eat in the lounge--I learned this the hard way when we flew Qantas First class out of LAX--was soooo stuffed from the lounge I just had fruit and bread for dinner (#2) on the flight. Live and learn and eat😋!
The CDG portion leaves from ATL. We have several hours between flights, so I may hit more than one lounge, lol. I am bummed because coming back I had to switch flights and now I only have a 1.5 hr connection at CDG. It's barely enough time to visit their flagship lounge. Only other option that day was a 4.5 hr layover in CDG, which would have made for a 20 hr travel day and that was not worth it to me.

Any particular property in Aruba? If Chase would happen to still be doing PYB for dining I could possibly help with meals that way or at least with a card that does statement credits.
There is a Hilton, Hyatt and Marriott. We stayed at the Marriott which was a beautiful property. Stopped by the Hilton after dinner one night and plan on staying there next!
Tons of restaurants and night life. Very friendly and easy island.

Used southwest early bird check in for the first time ever- got B1-4. This flight was scheduled not very long ago, so not totally surprised.

We have 1 year left of family boarding, so I guess we’ll do that. Waste of credit card credits.
I hate when it feels like a waste of a credit- or worse, waste to pay for.

That is so, so exciting and so generous of you to gift them some of their honeymoon. I know you said maybe not Mexico, but I think a super romantic Mexico trip would be the Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal for several days, as well as potentially Mexico City/Pueblo/San Miguel Allende. It could be a really nice balance of luxury, food and culture. Reviews for the WA Pedregal are in my signature-- this would be an amazing honeymoon destination. Not all-inclusive, though.
Good thing I was approved for a new card. DS fell playing soccer today and broke his wrist. I haven't even fully recovered from my fracture and here we go again. 😭

That's awful. I hope it was at least a simple fracture and won't require surgery. Sorry you are going through this again. On the positive side, now you'll ALL get priority boarding...

Anybody willing to share thoughts on my current setup? Any gaps or red flags that you see? Any categories I'm not maximizing?

AMEX Plat - Working 150K SUB with non-category spend. Once SUB hits, will use for flights only, then cancel on anniversary
AMEX Gold - Working 90K SUB with 4X Grocery and Dining spend. Will continue to use for Groceries and Dining, then cancel on anniversary
AMEX Everyday - Opened so I can hang on to MR when I close Plat and Gold.
AMEX BCE - Not currently using. Will upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred for 6X groceries when I cancel Gold.
Ollo Optimum - 2.5% on everything. Will use for non-category spend once Plat SUB hits.
Citi Custom Cash - Set up for 5% Gas
BOA Customized Cash - Set up for 3% Online Shopping
Discover - 5% rotating categories
Chase Prime - 5% Amazon
US Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, Internet, and Streaming (excluding the Disney Bundle, which is currently free on Amex Plat)
WF Propel - 3% on Hotels. Will use for 3% on Flights and Dining when Plat and Gold are cancelled.
Barclaycard jetBlue - 50% off jetBlue in-flight purchases. Will upgrade to jetBlue Plus when AMEX Plat is cancelled and I lose the $200 checked bag reimbursement

Wish list:
- WF Autograph to replace WF Propel. Basically the same card, but Visa instead of AMEX and a chance for a new SUB.
- AMEX Green to continue stockpiling MR if and only if I get a targeted offer

I'm on 5/24 timeout until at least May 2024, so no Chase cards for me for awhile, but P2 will probably get a Southwest card some time next year.
That’s a very impressive list.

Do you shop at Costco much? We use the US Bank altitude reserve to get effectively 4 1/2% back on Costco purchases using mobile wallet.

That's awful. I hope it was at least a simple fracture and won't require surgery. Sorry you are going through this again. On the positive side, now you'll ALL get priority boarding...
We see an ortho tomorrow. From what urgent care said it sounds simple but I've twice been told fractures were non displaced or wouldn't need surgery when that wasn't the case. Fingers crossed.
As for priority boarding, no more trips scheduled this year so we won't be taking advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter