I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just discovered the absolute best use of Hilton points
just got back from Foxborough Mass. Hilton Garden Inn across parking lot from Gillette. 60000 points. Garth Brooks concert. While we watached cars still trying to leave the stadium 3 hours after show ended, we took a nice walk and were in our room in 10 minutes. The roads getting out were backed up, the main roads were backed up. after a nice nights sleep, a leisurely breakfast we were on our way home!
Even if I had to pay $400 the room would be worth it!
Good to know. I will be at Gillette in July for The Weekend. It’s a graduation gift for my DD. While I’m not staying at the Hilton Garden Inn (wish I was) I am using IHG points and staying at a Holiday Inn Express about 10 miles away. I guess we will just wait for the traffic to clear and drive to our hotel. At least we won’t have to drive the hour plus to get home that night.

Any recommendations for a British Isles cruise? DH is negotiating a cruise next year in place of not going to London in Aug 😢 I am not sure DS has agreed to it yet though. Now to figure out something to do in Aug.

Just discovered the absolute best use of Hilton points
just got back from Foxborough Mass. Hilton Garden Inn across parking lot from Gillette. 60000 points. Garth Brooks concert. While we watached cars still trying to leave the stadium 3 hours after show ended, we took a nice walk and were in our room in 10 minutes. The roads getting out were backed up, the main roads were backed up. after a nice nights sleep, a leisurely breakfast we were on our way home!
Even if I had to pay $400 the room would be worth it!

My friends wedding ended up being the same day as his concert and though their wedding wasn't downtown, the hotel we were staying at was since I was a bridesmaid. We ended up driving the bridal couple back with us and had the terrible luck of the street we needed to turn on being blocked on that side... so we ended up taking a scenic tour of downtown which was maybe 5 blocks and took over an hour :crazy2:

I’m planning a Weekend trip to NYC in early August with my DS 25. Planning to see Broadway shows so would like to stay in the theatre district area or general vicinity. I don’t have any hotel loyalty and have used Hotwire in the past to book rooms. Is it worth signing up for a hotel card? I’ve never had one before. I do have a $300 hotel credit to use if I book thru the cap 1 portal.

Looks like a lot of us are in the same predicament of keep or cancel cards. I cancelled the Delta Gold Biz. Now I guess I hope for the elevated offer on the Delta Plat Biz sooner than later. I'm debating when to pull the trigger on the MDD. I know the 80K is set to expire next week. I'm sitting at 4/24 right now. So this is going to put me over until Jan. I would like a CSP or CSR in my portfolio before summer vaca and car rentals start next month. But I get FOMO about new Chase offers I'll be blocked out of. Also, I know that when I decide to go over, I'll likely do some of the other cards I've been wanting (AA mostly). So that will add to the time I'm blocked out of Chase. UGH.....

My dryer was making weird noises this weekend when I used it. When I went down to take out a load of towels, they were still wet. So I guess at some point during that load it just stopped working. When I push and hold the start button air will blow but it won't spin. If I don't hold the button nothing will happen. I'm upset because this dryer is "new". I think I got it in 2018. And of course that was to replace something that was 18+ years old that had stopped working.

Have you had the Blue?
There isn't a blue for biz is there? I haven't had the personal blue yet.

How do you all decide whether to keep a card open or not if there are no retention offers and the card benefits aren't too appealing/covered by more than one card you already have? I mean for newer cards gotten in the past year or two.
I just had to go through this w/ the Delta Gold Biz. I keep it mostly to have free luggage. I don't have any Delta trips likely until Sept (which school is paying so they'll pay my luggage) or Dec (wedding, which I may just carry on). So I have time to get the Delta Plat Biz possibly before the luggage charges. In 2021, I got a lot out of the card. $100 in offers and the $10/mo on the cell phone reimbursement. But w/ no flights planned immediately, there are no luggage savings. And if I saved the same $100, that makes the AF a wash....so no real gains. Most of the time I cancel because I want to churn the card (like my IHG) or I need the spot for Amex, etc. I likely will cancel my Marriott card this fall, as I don't see much value w/ them at all. I struggled to use the 5 FNC! So I don't see using the 35k FNC. Surpass I keep to earn the Hilton FNC each year. If the card has no AF, I keep it. I have a google doc w/ my word vomit thoughts on cards I'd like to get. So I normally look that over and see if keeping the card has value.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to use a credit card to pay college tuition without a fee? My dd will be attending Towson in the fall and they charge 2.85% for using a credit card. But I hate to spend all that money and get nothing to show for it ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to use a credit card to pay college tuition without a fee? My dd will be attending Towson in the fall and they charge 2.85% for using a credit card. But I hate to spend all that money and get nothing to show for it ;)
Are you a Marylander also?

I think your best bet is to purchase no fee VGCs or MCGCs from Staples on CIC for the 5x so you still come out ahead.

Or if you are working on a MSR and you came out ahead.

Are you a Marylander also?

I think your best bet is to purchase no fee VGCs or MCGCs from Staples on CIC for the 5x so you still come out ahead.

Or if you are working on a MSR and you came out ahead.
Yes. I'm from MD.

I'm working up the nerve to try Serve with VGCs, is that what you're talking about? I've been trying to figure out which Serve card is the right one to use. It makes sense but I don't want to assume, is it the Serve Free Reload card?

Happy Monday everyone.

I was able to use a DISchurner Amex Gold 90K SUB support link. My intention was to have DH get that card since he's only 2/24, but he got the dreaded Amex pop-up, I guess it's time to start putting some spend on his Amex cards.
I decided that the offer is too good to pass up, 90K UR plus essentially no AF with the $250 restaurant credits, so I applied and was approved. Yay! I'm at 4/24 until later this summer when I'll drop to 3/24.
We are working on 3 MSRs; DH's CIC, my Wells Fargo cash back card + and now my new Amex Gold.

I think we are set on MSRs to get us through our 10 day Hawaii trip.

Yes. I'm from MD.

I'm working up the nerve to try Serve with VGCs, is that what you're talking about? I've been trying to figure out which Serve card is the right one to use. It makes sense but I don't want to assume, is it the Serve Free Reload card?
Fellow MD’er here. But close to the MD/PA line below Hanover, PA.

No, I would use the VGC or MCGC directly and pay in $19x.xx increments. That is what I used to do with DS’s private school tuition. It required multiple entries but was effective for coming out ahead.

Just chatted with AmEx to see if there was a retention offer for the plat (that I am planning to downgrade). 30,000 MRs for $3,000 spend. My initial reaction is not impressed but I have a few days to think about it (although when I asked, the rep said they couldn't guarantee that the offer would still be available after today, which I find quite annoying--actually I thought the whole chat was pretty annoying, starting with "Tell me what first attracted you to this card." I get why they ask but I still found it annoying.).

I have the Venture X and used it to book an Airbnb for next year and got the intro offer Vacation Rental credit of $200 (in March). We may end up canceling that and not rebooking a different Airbnb right away. Will they reverse the $200 credit? It's not a huge deal either way, but just curious.

(We've been collecting Airbnb GCs and may have enough to use for our planned rentals for a trip to Ireland next year since one of our rentals we booked thru an agency, not Airbnb)

I am trying to figure out my 5/5 status.
Do Barclay Biz cards count ?
An account counts for 5/24 purposes if Chase can see it on your credit report. Most biz credit cards don’t count because they are not reported to the personal credit reporting agencies. The easiest and most reliable way to figure out x/24 is to look at your credit reports.

ETA: I assumed you meant 5/24 for Chase. If you meant something else, please disregard!

If I book flights using AA miles from my AAdvantage account, but DH has the free luggage benefit on his AAdvantage # (from Barclays biz card), will that be applied to the reservations I made as long as he is one of the passengers on the booking and I input his AAdvantage #?

Fellow MD’er here. But close to the MD/PA line below Hanover, PA.

No, I would use the VGC or MCGC directly and pay in $19x.xx increments. That is what I used to do with DS’s private school tuition. It required multiple entries but was effective for coming out ahead.

I'm way down south, although I do drive up to PA often to see my daughter who lives outside of Philadelphia. :)

Is there some reason I can't use the full value of the VGC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter