I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to Asia multiple times, including South Korea once. I didn't get any extra travel insurance--I'm not sure why you'd need anything different/extra. The only time I buy extra travel insurance is for a cruise (medical evacuation).

ETA: This was all before COVID so I don't know if I'd do things differently now. Although if I did it would be because of COVID not because of Asia.
what's your advice for trying to fly there using reward points? He has UR

For WDW... BoA cash rewards (and equivalents) do you need to select Travel or Dining to get the up to 5.25% (with Platinum Honors)? I feel like it's Travel for coding as amusement parks for most places not named Starbucks on property or if you dine outside WDW. I don't think I've ever checked to verify which it is.

@Haley R - I saw your post about the dirty cabin. How was the rest of your trip at Fort Wilderness? For some reason I have always wanted to stay there and with my kids ages it seems like now is a great age to take them. I am afraid I’ve build it up in my mind though and will be disappointed

I have a sort of dissenting opinion on Fort Wilderness cabins. I realize now what I really like about staying on Disney property is the feeling of being in the Disney bubble. Monorails, skyliners, disney dining onsite, etc. While we did really love the cabin itself and the space, it felt very disconnected from Disney. We don't love having to get in our car to get to dining, etc and it didn't feel very pedestrian to us. And a golf cart was rather expensive, if I recall.

It really did feel like cabin camping- not really like Disney. That might be perfect for what you're looking for, but it wasn't for us.

My parents’ aol account was highjacked. All of his financial statements were in aol. What should I tell them to do?

I just got a CSP. So you can’t use URs on Disney tickets, but is there any way you could book Worldquest with URs since they have packages with room and tickets? Just a thought, figured it probably wouldn’t work!

Hoo Boy -- this BZN trip is the travel gift that keeps on giving. We've been changed SO many times both going/returning on Delta. We FINALLY thought we had a firm itinerary and after getting yet ANOTHER email, realized that our BZN-RDU return (via SLC) was changed. They moved a 10:30am flight from SLC to RDU to 10:31PM red eye! Literally a > 12 hour layover. Worst part is, I don't see an itinerary that makes any sense at all for us now. We have tickets to a concert on that night, which of course, I realize is precarious on a travel day, but we had like a 4 hour window of slack.

I think perhaps the only option is going to red eye the night before and give up our afternoon/evening in Bozeman (our traditional thing after visiting yellowstone and tetons). Literally only 2 flights with only 1 connection and 1 is a red eye. Ugh
We are flying into BZN in August on AA, and our flight has been changed twice already, but only an hour or two each time in either direction, so it's not that big of a deal. I'm not expecting the current schedule to stick though. Our flight back from Jackson Hole has the bigger changes.. was supposed to get in at 4pm, now we're arriving at 10pm and we have to work the next day... OOF!

My parents’ aol account was highjacked. All of his financial statements were in aol. What should I tell them to do?

Change passwords etc. If they have account numbers on them, which not knowing what you mean by financial statements, I'd make sure that both online and phone calls require 2FA.

It really depends on what you mean by statements. I save all my emails saying I paid the bill, membership stuff, travel confirmations etc. But aside from the travel stuff that obvs has confirmation #s, I don't think anything else has account numbers.

I get emails telling me stuff is available to view but don't get any actual attachments with financial stuff.

The first focus needs to be changing their password for everything imo. Esp if you don't know how they got the email pw or how many sites they use that pw on. Second focus find out what was actually saved in the email. Attachments anyone can open or notifications to stuff.

We are flying into BZN in August on AA, and our flight has been changed twice already, but only an hour or two each time in either direction, so it's not that big of a deal. I'm not expecting the current schedule to stick though. Our flight back from Jackson Hole has the bigger changes.. was supposed to get in at 4pm, now we're arriving at 10pm and we have to work the next day... OOF!

JAC is still closed due to Runway work while we are traveling, but double checked today to see if we could fly out of JAC...miss it by a few days.

If we end up flying out the night before on the same red eye flight, I guess I can get my 60k bonvoy points back for the ridiculously expensive hotels in Bozeman, lol.

Change passwords etc. If they have account numbers on them, which not knowing what you mean by financial statements, I'd make sure that both online and phone calls require 2FA.

It really depends on what you mean by statements. I save all my emails saying I paid the bill, membership stuff, travel confirmations etc. But aside from the travel stuff that obvs has confirmation #s, I don't think anything else has account numbers.

I get emails telling me stuff is available to view but don't get any actual attachments with financial stuff.

The first focus needs to be changing their password for everything imo. Esp if you don't know how they got the email pw or how many sites they use that pw on. Second focus find out what was actually saved in the email. Attachments anyone can open or notifications to stuff.
Thank you!!!

So most of their emails are gone forever. AOL could only recover the last 7 days. But in one of their folders I found an email with passwords including their Apple ID. But I also saw a lot of back and forth with their CPA. I'm hoping any returns were password protected but who knows.

I told my mom to make a list and I could help her change all the passwords.

And this started at noon when my ex got an email from my dad saying he broke his femur and needed surgery. Then my mom realized she wasn't getting new emails. They set up filters, changed the password, deleted everything, etc. Hundereds of people got three separate emails from my dad about breaking his femur. It's been a day. I was on with AOL for about two hours. My mom kept hanging up on me by accident. I told my sister she needed to help them log back into AOL on mom's phone and Ipad and dad's desktop because I was spent. Dad needs the keys taken away and mom & dad need the internet taken away!

I have a sort of dissenting opinion on Fort Wilderness cabins. I realize now what I really like about staying on Disney property is the feeling of being in the Disney bubble. Monorails, skyliners, disney dining onsite, etc. While we did really love the cabin itself and the space, it felt very disconnected from Disney. We don't love having to get in our car to get to dining, etc and it didn't feel very pedestrian to us. And a golf cart was rather expensive, if I recall.

It really did feel like cabin camping- not really like Disney. That might be perfect for what you're looking for, but it wasn't for us.
I kinda agree. I'm ok with not being in the bubble but not being able to walk anywhere and needing to rent a car or golf cart to get around wasn't great. (we didn't so we're forever waiting on buses.) Also taking the boat to MK was hit or miss. There were days there was fog, so boats couldn't leave which we didn't know until we got to the dock, then we had to take a bus to the campground entrance to catch a bus to MK and by the time we got there, boats were running. I actually loved the cabin and the space, just not the logistics.
Thank you!!!

So most of their emails are gone forever. AOL could only recover the last 7 days. But in one of their folders I found an email with passwords including their Apple ID. But I also saw a lot of back and forth with their CPA. I'm hoping any returns were password protected but who knows.

And this started at noon when my ex got an email from my dad saying he broke his femur and needed surgery. Then my mom realized she wasn't getting new emails. They set up filters, changed the password, deleted everything, etc. Hundereds of people got three separate emails from my dad about breaking his femur. It's been a day. I was on with AOL for about two hours. My mom kept hanging up on me by accident. I told my sister she needed to help them log back into AOL on mom's phone and Ipad and dad's desktop because I was spent. Dad needs the keys taken away and mom & dad need the internet taken away!
I'm sorry you're going through this. This is my greatest fear with my mom. It will happen eventually and will be a nightmare.

Thank you!!!

This is my worst nightmare, not only if it happened to my mom but if it happened to me because of how many emails I keep, they go back well over 10 years because I've had my aol address since college. Probably not that bad for Mom, she deletes everything, though I don't know if she empties her trash. She even deletes texts all the time, which I never do I just let AT&T do it whenever they do.

I'm going to make a note to back up my emails on my external hd this weekend. It was bad enough when I accidentally marked a lot of my inbox as read. I couldn't remember what all I'd been keeping in there but found the most important ones.

Scary that they were able to do all that and that they would. Makes you wonder why, is it just to screw with someone or are they doing something with the stuff.

My email is one that has its own password not used anywhere else but it's been awhile since I've changed it and probably should. Also wonder how they got their password.

what's your advice for trying to fly there using reward points? He has UR

I'm probably not the best person to give advice about using points. I've only used UR points for travel by booking through the Chase website. I know that others here are skilled at transferring points to the airlines to get more value. With a family of six and various schedules I've learned to settle for "good enough" when using points.

ETA: The one thing I will say about South Korea is that if he can manage it, the USO tour of the DMZ is amazing. That took quite a bit of advance planning but it was the one thing I really was invested in making happen for that trip.

I got a dishwasher too ! I hope you got the shop card, they don't charge you until it's on the truck. I just got it yesterday loving the better-designed 3rd rack my old one was leaking and i was at over 500 in repairs I should have probably replaced it sooner. You know you have become an adult when you get excited about a new dishwasher :)
The shop card was part of my decision to go ahead and get it now, but with all the fires I was putting out last week I missed the expiration on it. I decided that since I had already shopped, and had just finished a big project that would cover the cost, that I'd go ahead and get it anyway. I needed something after dealing with Amazon pharmacy every day last week. Ours is fine, but it is 15 years old and super basic and super loud so I'm really excited to get this new one installed. Yep, adulthood means happiness over appliances lol

This is my worst nightmare, not only if it happened to my mom but if it happened to me because of how many emails I keep, they go back well over 10 years because I've had my aol address since college. Probably not that bad for Mom, she deletes everything, though I don't know if she empties her trash. She even deletes texts all the time, which I never do I just let AT&T do it whenever they do.

I'm going to make a note to back up my emails on my external hd this weekend. It was bad enough when I accidentally marked a lot of my inbox as read. I couldn't remember what all I'd been keeping in there but found the most important ones.

Scary that they were able to do all that and that they would. Makes you wonder why, is it just to screw with someone or are they doing something with the stuff.

My email is one that has its own password not used anywhere else but it's been awhile since I've changed it and probably should. Also wonder how they got their password.
I know--I just want to understand the end game so I can protect my parents. It's so odd.

In good news, paying for AOL actually paid off since only premium members have access to tech support.

With the demise of magical express, has anyone tried any of the transfers bookable from the UR portal? Trying to cut some costs where I can. Hate the idea of paying $118 for a mears bus, but 16000 UR for a private van doesn’t seem so bad

I got a mailed offer for an Alaska Airline CC with a 50K SUB for a 2K spend in 90 days. I know the typical bonus is 40K. My question is, is this card worth getting if we are planning an Alaskan cruise next year? Alaska Air flies direct to Seattle from Cleveland which is awesome, but I don't know if I'll ever fly with them again. I mean, I guess it would be worth it to get those flights "free", but not sure how I feel about it taking up one of my 5/24 slots. I would wait until closer to the end of the year to get it, but the offer is only good until June 4.

I'm probably not the best person to give advice about using points. I've only used UR points for travel by booking through the Chase website. I know that others here are skilled at transferring points to the airlines to get more value. With a family of six and various schedules I've learned to settle for "good enough" when using points.

ETA: The one thing I will say about South Korea is that if he can manage it, the USO tour of the DMZ is amazing. That took quite a bit of advance planning but it was the one thing I really was invested in making happen for that trip.
Thanks....I'm kind of shying away from him booking thru UR portal, I keep reading horror stories of flight problems and no way to fix it b/c it's 3rd party....I'd rather he "paid" more but has the ability to fix any glitches or changes as they come up (and they seem to come up a lot with airlines)

With the demise of magical express, has anyone tried any of the transfers bookable from the UR portal? Trying to cut some costs where I can. Hate the idea of paying $118 for a mears bus, but 16000 UR for a private van doesn’t seem so bad
Are you opposed to Uber or Lyft? These are their one way rates (this morning), depending on 4-6 passengers:
Uber $44-59
Lyft $40-52

I realize you wouldn't be using points, but you could probably buy a discounted gift card(s) in advance.

ETA: Spelling correction

Last edited:
Thank you!!!

I have a family member who is in poor health and is EXTREMELY susceptible to scams. She sent away her life's savings to the "love of her life" in one of those overseas military catfishing type scams. Sadly, it's happened again, multiple times, there's just a lot less money to suck away now, but they still manage to con her. She's also very susceptible to "work from home" type offerings. I wish I could just take all social media away from her so that people can't take advantage of her.

I was recently the victim of a traumatizing, life-altering criminal scam. And I am incredibly vigilant about that stuff. I don't post on FB, Instagram, twitter, etc. I am always so on alert that I don't even let a saleperson sell me something I came to buy. :rotfl2: So, I now know these things can happen to everyone. It's really scary the lengths criminals will go to...

Are you opposed to Uber or Lyft? These are there one way rates (this morning), depending on 4-6 passengers:
Uber $44-59
Lyft $40-52

I realize you wouldn't be using points, but you could probably buy a discounted gift card(s) in advance.
I used the portal to book last August. Worked well, driver met us down near where tragical express used to be with our name on a board. Lyft is usually $60-80 plus tip when we’ve used it. Used a taxi once and it was over $100 so I didn’t mind using URs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter