I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, question about pacing: I had planned on applying for a SW business card in early November and then another in early January for CP. But I just got an Amex Platinum in late September and CSR/CSP early June... I'm new to churning but really want to try for the CP, is it too soon to go for the SW Business card? We have trips in late April, May, and June so I think I don't need to be in too much of a hurry (there is a late Jan trip but that's obviously too soon).

Also, Ireland is really lovely! Jealous of those planning a 2023 trip! But at least we're doing Japan then :-)

I just saw an Amex offer for $125 off $500 Norwegian Cruise Lines on my cards. Biz Plat, Schwab Plat, BCP. The vanilla Plat (15K MRs) & Gold (15K MRs). Can you use those toward your booking?

ETA - that sounds like a wonderful trip BTW

Thanks for this! Off hand I have the MR offer, spend $500 get 12500, but I haven't searched all cards yet.
Thanks for the heads up! It can be used on our existing booking. Unfortunately, I can't find it on any of our cards. 😭 I'm really starting to wonder if we don't get targeted because we've used similar offers for the same cruise line before. We didn't get any of the recent Carnival offers either. DS can be added as AU soon, hopefully his account can be a fresh start.

On the bright side, while checking for it saw that DH got targeted for a 20k pay over time offer! That takes the sting out lol.
I used a NCL offer in 2019, used another fall of 2020, both cash back, and now the MR offer. Hubby hadn't received any until the ones out this summer and he got both the cash and MR offer, which we used both. Off hand it's not looking like he was targeted this time, like I wasn't targeted a couple months ago. Not sure how they decide :confused3

I just saw an Amex offer for $125 off $500 Norwegian Cruise Lines on my cards. Biz Plat, Schwab Plat, BCP. The vanilla Plat (15K MRs) & Gold (15K MRs). Can you use those toward your booking?

ETA - that sounds like a wonderful trip BTW
Thanks for the heads up. Just checked and no luck for either DW or me on any of our cards. Have 4 other cruise lines but not NCL. Will check again tomorrow before writing it off.

I think @softballpooh just got an uninformed agent. The chat agents don't seem as knowledgeable as the Twitter team. My experience with the Twitter team has been great during working hours. Weekend response is a little slower and not quite as good.

I do not use Twitter and don't have an account...I assume I'll need to establish myself one to be able to Twitter concierge? I chuckle at the number of people here who loathe talking to a person...give me a customer service number and a human anytime and I'll happily wait to talk to them! 😂

I do not use Twitter and don't have an account...I assume I'll need to establish myself one to be able to Twitter concierge? I chuckle at the number of people here who loathe talking to a person...give me a customer service number and a human anytime and I'll happily wait to talk to them! 😂

Yes, I will go to great lengths to not talk to someone. Case in point is creating the Twitter account. 😆

But you can also call the Globalist line, I believe that’s what @Alexle2007 did.

Yes, I will go to great lengths to not talk to someone. Case in point is creating the Twitter account. 😆

But you can also call the Globalist line, I believe that’s what @Alexle2007 did.

I have spent a ton of time and made about 6 calls to Amex over the past few days. I far, far prefer taking care of things online (yet they told me to call). So much wasted time on hold, so many endless questions... yuck.

Do we have to have real Globalist to call that line? Or does Globalist "lite" count?

I have spent a ton of time and made about 6 calls to Amex over the past few days. I far, far prefer taking care of things online (yet they told me to call). So much wasted time on hold, so many endless questions... yuck.

Do we have to have real Globalist to call that line? Or does Globalist "lite" count?

Pretty sure any Globalist can use it. Globalist lite just doesn’t get a personal concierge because it’s a 60 night milestone award.

I am at 58 nights but haven’t had any trouble calling the Globalist line. I didn’t even think about it; number that pops up to call on the app. One rep didn’t tell me about point advance another said “oh you are Globalist so we can advance you the points if you want to add another night.” Point advance was not unsubstantial since 32k.
I am at 58 nights but haven’t had any trouble calling the Globalist line. I didn’t even think about it

Hi folks, question about pacing: I had planned on applying for a SW business card in early November and then another in early January for CP. But I just got an Amex Platinum in late September and CSR/CSP early June... I'm new to churning but really want to try for the CP, is it too soon to go for the SW Business card? We have trips in late April, May, and June so I think I don't need to be in too much of a hurry (there is a late Jan trip but that's obviously too soon).

Also, Ireland is really lovely! Jealous of those planning a 2023 trip! But at least we're doing Japan then :-)

Chase generally doesn't care about your other credit card applications, so long as the Amex Platinum (along with the Sapphire double dip) didn't put you over 5/24. As long as you space your Chase applications out 2-3 months (other than MDDs), you should be in good shape. If you want to improve automatic approval odds, lower the credit limit on your two Sapphires and other unused/lesser used Chase cards before going for the SW cards.

So much wasted time on hold, so many endless questions... yuck.
I hear you about all the time wasted on calls. I've had the most annoying week spending hours dealing with my CCs.

On one card, I got charged for a car rental I used back in July. I already paid for it back in July, but the same charge showed up 3 months later. Called the rental car company, and they had no record of charging me this month. Hours, many calls, and one closed credit card later, and I think it's worked out now (maybe, I'm still seeing the charge sitting there but have been told it will be taken care of). Somehow the rental car company's credit card department (??) charged me a 2nd time, and they are supposed to issue a refund. The jargon you have to use (not knowing what the jargon is) is frustrating. I told the bank rep that it was a duplicate charge. The bank rep said no, it was fraud, and transferred me to the fraud department. The fraud department said no, it's not fraud, it's a duplicate charge(!!), and sent me back over another department. The 3rd rep said it was an unauthorized charge, and they would close that card and issue a replacement card. So now the refund will go to the closed card, but the bank will transfer that to the newly issued replacement card, and then cancel the dispute. Never had anything like that happen before.

Then I have my CSP PC story from hell. As a reminder:
An update on my PC journey -

I did the PC yesterday from CSP (OG CSR) to CF to prep for the in-branch 100K offer...but the rep processed it instead as the Freedom Unlimited. I wanted 5% back, not 1.5% back. 🙄 So I called today to switch it to the CF that I asked for. Guess what, that's not possible, instead Chase's back office has to reverse yesterday's request and turn it back to the CSP (takes 7-10 business days?) before they can make it a CF. NOT what I wanted.😓 So I called back again, to basically cancel what I requested this morning. Now I'm temporarily stuck with the 1.5% card, and I'm hoping the CSP disappears from my account so I can try for the 100K offer. I was afraid that my request to switch to the CF now would prolong the CSP showing up in my account since it is considered a reversion back to the previous card. The supervisor told me that you have 45 days to revert back to the previous card (backsies) as long as that product is still available. She also said it takes 3-4 days for the new card product to update in Chase's system. I wonder if that happens in batches, and that's why there's the varying DPs of how long it takes for the CSP to drop off your profile.🤔 So my plan is to try applying in-branch in 10 business days, I need to do my own legwork here. lol Incidentally, it seems like you can pretty much freely do PCs.
Well, guess what card is showing on my account now? It's the CSP. Ugh. And it's not showing my 500K+ UR balance on my login. That about sent me over the edge. So I called, and Chase confirms I still have the URs (phew!) and I had a rep tell me there's only 1 PC a year (@wanderlust7 - that's the first time I've heard that said to me so far) and now they've started an investigation and will pull the phone conversation to see what happened. This will take at least a week. I'm feeling that the 100K CSP is not in my future.

You are fine to apply now..usual recommendation is 3 months between Chase applications

My sister is looking for somewhere warm to go for a few nights in November, over veterans' day weekend. My 13-year old daughter has a few days off from school because of parent teacher conferences, so she's going to take her. It's short notice and she's not sure where to go. Coming from the greater Boston area. She was thinking Caribbean, but doesn't want to deal with any hassles of covid testing in and out (is it a hassle?).
Maybe Florida, but not Orlando. Gulf Coast? They'd like a beach resort type place. Any suggestions?

My sister is looking for somewhere warm to go for a few nights in November, over veterans' day weekend. My 13-year old daughter has a few days off from school because of parent teacher conferences, so she's going to take her. It's short notice and she's not sure where to go. Coming from the greater Boston area. She was thinking Caribbean, but doesn't want to deal with any hassles of covid testing in and out (is it a hassle?).
Maybe Florida, but not Orlando. Gulf Coast? They'd like a beach resort type place. Any suggestions?
I have been having a great time my last couple trips to Melbourne and that area on the Atlantic side. Got to watch a fantastic sunrise at Indialantic. On the Gulf side, maybe Fort Myers? Thinking places that aren't crazy touristy but still great.

Lower Gulf- Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach is really nice.
Upper Gulf- Hilton Sandestin
Caribbean- HR Aruba! (You do need to test both ways but testing is done right on-site.)

Well @Arcades, I can't say I'm surprised. Not ONE SECOND of that game was I excited. Even 16 up, I knew how it would end. I've joked I feel like a battered GF who can't leave the relationship. For 7 years I have wanted him gone, I have actually rooted for losses, hoping it meant the end. They were so quick to ditch Brady Hoke, and everyone called for Lloyds head w/ 9-3 seasons, and trips to the Rose Bowl....yet Jimbo continues to hang on. My fall days of excitement waiting for the game are so far gone....I am numb. I won't even blame the refs (who MSU obv paid off). As Lloyd would say, it should never come down to bad calls......

I think the Biz is like 50k avios one way? Or at least it was. Nothing is showing but economy when I've sampled 2022 flights to get an idea.

I'm mostly Irish and got married on 3/16 (the 17th didn't work) and have always wanted to go to Ireland. So 2023 will (hopefully) be the year.

A 3/17 birthday would be very fun!!
Ha! My due date was 3/10. My uncle, guessed 3/17 and I told him he was evil. I got to pick her eviction date, and it made my very Irish mother happy, LOL. I joke my daughter could serve in a study on green food dye. I have dyed everything imaginable green, LOL. And I told her often, she will thank me on her 21st when the bars open at 6am, LOL.

My wife has been in Dublin for St. Patrick's Day. She told me it's a much bigger deal in St. Paul, New York and Chicago than it is in Dublin. Of course the drinking age in Ireland is 18.
I know it's more religious there. I know the "party" version of St. Patty's day is a US thing. My great grandpa is from Ireland, my mom's family (13 siblings and catholic, LOL) is very Irish. So we joke that my 16yo gets double the Irish for being born on St. Patrick's day. I think it's a pretty epic way to turn 18!

That does seem like it would be advantageous. If you leave it as is, your second statement would be around December 21, so you can't meet MSR until the third statement for a 2022/2023 CP.

The first tier of the personal SW MSR is only $2000. So be very careful you don't meet it until the statement that closes in January.

ETA: Adding @SouthFayetteFan 's fireside chat on Dischurners with what can go wrong.

What date do you recommend I move it to? I guess I can't wrap my head around the timing.

When do you want the points? Early Jan for CP? I would do a statement close date of the 3rd or 4th.
I would ideally like it for mid February. I have a tentative SW flight for Feb 11 and another for Feb 21. Depending on how things pan out, my companion may not be traveling on same flights until Feb 28. I'm going to be in Germany until Jan 1st. I have some large purchases occurring in mid January when I get back so it may be safer to leave the closing date where it is. I don't plan to go over $2000 in spend on that card before Jan 1st.

From reddit, it seems like there are other people like me who are having issues with charges posting on their CFF. Ugh...my Best Buy Chase offer expires in 5 days, I really hope this issue clears up soon and it recognizes that I used the offer. Not going to be happy that I paid full price for a Disney GC if the charges posts way later. If that happens, I will SM to ask them for the % back but knowing Chase, I might never see that money. 😕

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter