I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for those that have used the AMEX hotel credit. Looking at booking the Dolphin with AMEX travel. Two nights on my DH's card, 2 on mine. Will they be able to link our reservations so we don't have to move? Do I do this with AMEX travel?
I haven't done it with at the Dolphin, but last summer I used DH's $200 credit on one night in his name at a FHR hotel in Vail and the 2nd night I booked there using Hotels .com under my name. We asked the hotel receptionist when we arrived if we could stay in the same room, and that was no problem. I intentionally booked the first night with the FHR benefits, and we were upgraded to a suite because of that. So my Hotels .com night room also got upgraded by default. But it was also summertime in Vail which, while beautiful, is not their high season so availability was probably better then.

I've linked separate reservations numerous times in the past, just when we arrived in person, but it's probably a good idea to call a few days prior to give the hotel a heads-up. I recently stayed at a Marriott in Seattle, and paid cash (gift cards) for the first night (no points availability) and used a FNC for the 2nd night. I had requested a suite upgrade for both nights (I have 5 for this year and have no idea when I'll use them). Well, the hotel gave me the upgrade for the 2nd night but nothing for the 1st night since they were sold out. I called ahead of time, twice, to ask if that would require us switching rooms and was told both times that we had to leave the room. So the second time I asked them to take away the suite upgrade and just keep us in the same room for the two nights.

I've always had to get the room keys re-keyed if the reservations are separate. The keys get inactivated around noon on the check-out day. So if you need a room key to access parking or the building, you will want to do that before you leave the property on the first "check-out" day.

You said he was 2/24 so I’m assuming any card he is an AU for is older than 24 months. If so, I don’t think there is a benefit to removing him. Your credit limits on the AU cards shouldn’t affect his from my experience.

Thanks. I have 4 Chase Cards all over $15K and he only has 2 so I wasn't sure why he was having to move credit to be approved when I didn't.

DH has opened 2 cards this year (AMEX/CSP). I want him to get a Marriott card (preferably from Chase due to the annual fee) but I'm concerned he'll be denied. He has excellent credit but when he applied for the CSP they had to move credit from his Freedom and gave him only $5K (I also opened CSP this year and they gave me $17K). I have been the primary on most of our cards for our entire marriage because I do all the money stuff. He is 2/24. There is zero chance he will call a recon line.

Do you think he should hold off before applying for more cards?

If you're open to business cards, the Amex Bonvoy biz bonus is actually better. Same 125k points for $5000 spend, but 2 50k certificates. AF just slightly higher at $125.

Lots of news today! No AA deval! Yay!

https://onemileatatime.com/news/ame...res_no_aadvantage_award_chart_devaluation_yay
The Hyatt peak/non-peak changes are in effect. One of my bookings went down, so I should be getting total 15k points back. It's supposed to be automatic, but hasn't happened yet. Also have something booked on FNC that went down to 12k, so have to think about if I use the FNC on something else.

Hyatts points have changed today. It looks like I should get some points back once they do the refunds. The andaz I have booked in Tokyo went down 5k for the one night and then the Tokyo station says from 21k but I don't have enough points to continue to see the total. I booked it at 25k/night. So at least 4k back.

On reddit they said when booking mult nights it will say from x points and you need to continue to the next screen to see if all nights are the same because they may not be. Only problem is on the app I can't get to the next screen since I don't have enough points. Hopefully the website is different or they fix this. It forces you to call imo because you need to know how many points to transfer.

Hyatts points have changed today. It looks like I should get some points back once they do the refunds. The andaz I have booked in Tokyo went down 5k for the one night and then the Tokyo station says from 21k but I don't have enough points to continue to see the total. I booked it at 25k/night. So at least 4k back.

On reddit they said when booking mult nights it will say from x points and you need to continue to the next screen to see if all nights are the same because they may not be. Only problem is on the app I can't get to the next screen since I don't have enough points. Hopefully the website is different or they fix this. It forces you to call imo because you need to know how many points to transfer.

Oops, I didn't think about the from x points. The one on FNCs that I thought went down, actually only went down for 1 night. One night is 18k so I'm getting a deal on that one lol.

You can't see the total points when you don't have enough on the website either. Hope they change that. I read that there's supposed to be a calendar that shows how much each night is, but I don't see it yet. In the meantime, if it's something that doesn't have a minimum stay requirement, you could just check one night at a time.

Some Marriott changes. I think this one is interesting.
Plus, coming in early 2022, if you have a Free Night Award certificate, you can combine it with up to 15,000 points from your account (or that you’ve purchased) to access even more hotel and resort stay options.

Though this might negate good?

Our current redemption process with hotel categories will remain in place through February 2022. After that, you won’t see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Peak, or Standard.

From Marriott FB page:
Hey, Insiders. We wanted you to be the first to know that we’ve heard your feedback and have made a number of updates to give you more time, flexibility, and options to make the most of your travels. Here are the details:

Your 2019 earned status, which we already renewed through February 2022, or your 2020 status, will be extended through February 2023. You’ll continue to receive your Elite benefits when you travel again.

Extending Suite Night Awards and Free Night Awards Through June 2022

We’re extending eligible Suite Night Awards and eligible Free Night Awards through June 30, 2022. Certain hotels have resort fees. Terms Apply. Plus, coming in early 2022, if you have a Free Night Award certificate, you can combine it with up to 15,000 points from your account (or that you’ve purchased) to access even more hotel and resort stay options.

Pausing Points Expiration Through December 2022

We're pausing the expiration of points through December 31, 2022. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months.

More Redemption Flexibility

In March 2022, we’ll introduce new flexible point redemption rates that move more closely in line with hotel rates, giving you additional options. Hotels and resorts will still have a minimum and maximum number of points for redemption rates that will more closely align to how they’re categorized today.

Our current redemption process with hotel categories will remain in place through February 2022. After that, you won’t see hotel categories (1–8) or redemption rates classified as Off-Peak, Peak, or Standard.

You can look forward to these updates in your account by December. We know how much you’re all looking forward to travel and hope these updates help you experience the benefits you’ve earned. Safe travels and, as always, you can visit our Help Pages on marriott.com for updates or questions.

Learn more about these updates here: marriottbonvoy.com/Status22
Just burned my 50k cert that was set to expire soon....grrrr :( Glad to know they won't mess with status- hopefully they do the accelerated promotion next year to make it easier to get to Titanium- needed to do a mattress run for Hyatt Globalist this year- but next year already have several Marriott nights booked so should be able to get there. The sweet spot with Marriott is Platinum, so Titanium isn't a 'must do' but would add a couple minor perks so will make a run for it if they accelerate it.

As soon as I saw the changes coming on DOC we booked everything through October of next year since we know where we will be. Now just need to go back in like you did and see if things are cheaper or more expensive and make changes where needed. Hold times for Hyatt are crazy long (at least they have been for me) so you might want to mention this issue to the rep when you talk to them so they fix it (like that will happen anytime soon...)

Oops, I didn't think about the from x points. The one on FNCs that I thought went down, actually only went down for 1 night. One night is 18k so I'm getting a deal on that one lol.

You can't see the total points when you don't have enough on the website either. Hope they change that. I read that there's supposed to be a calendar that shows how much each night is, but I don't see it yet. In the meantime, if it's something that doesn't have a minimum stay requirement, you could just check one night at a time.

I hadn't thought to check each night. So only Sunday is 21k, Thurs to sat is 25. So that one night along with the andaz I should get 9k back.

And looking at my 3 nights in Okinawa I'm saving 6k because Fri and sat went up to 18k and sun stayed at 15k.

Kind of amazed then that the andaz went down to 25k for a sat night from the 30k I booked at.

I was happy with what I'd booked at but this all makes it better. Once I get the points I'll have to adjust my redemption spreadsheet since it'll be more pp with the lower points.

Question for those that have used the AMEX hotel credit. Looking at booking the Dolphin with AMEX travel. Two nights on my DH's card, 2 on mine. Will they be able to link our reservations so we don't have to move? Do I do this with AMEX travel?

not Dolphin but the hotel reached out to me through amex so i was able to talk to the hotel directly through amex. perhaps they will do the same for u?

I did this with ours at Sapphire Falls at Uni last month. I booked mine under my name and his under his name. I just asked at check in and they kept us in the same room, even did everything for checking in for the second reservation. All we had to do was go by for new keys. We also ended up getting the $100 credit for each stay from the FHR thing - YMMV. I didn't even ask at check in because just the room rate after the $200 credits was worth it to me, everything else was bonus. Sometimes when I have separate reservations I will call or email ahead of time, then remind at the front desk if they don't mention it.

Not AMEX travel but a points booking, and Swan told me no absolutely can't link 2 accounts/stays. They did at front desk & although we stayed in the room, housekeeping wasn't notified and knocked on our door assuming we should have checked out. I would contact Marriott/Dolphin directly.

I did this with ours at Sapphire Falls at Uni last month. I booked mine under my name and his under his name. I just asked at check in and they kept us in the same room, even did everything for checking in for the second reservation. All we had to do was go by for new keys. We also ended up getting the $100 credit for each stay from the FHR thing - YMMV. I didn't even ask at check in because just the room rate after the $200 credits was worth it to me, everything else was bonus. Sometimes when I have separate reservations I will call or email ahead of time, then remind at the front desk if they don't mention it.
Did the $200 statement credit come off when you booked or not until after the stay?

An update on my PC journey -

I did the PC yesterday from CSP (OG CSR) to CF to prep for the in-branch 100K offer...but the rep processed it instead as the Freedom Unlimited. I wanted 5% back, not 1.5% back. 🙄 So I called today to switch it to the CF that I asked for. Guess what, that's not possible, instead Chase's back office has to reverse yesterday's request and turn it back to the CSP (takes 7-10 business days?) before they can make it a CF. NOT what I wanted.😓 So I called back again, to basically cancel what I requested this morning. Now I'm temporarily stuck with the 1.5% card, and I'm hoping the CSP disappears from my account so I can try for the 100K offer. I was afraid that my request to switch to the CF now would prolong the CSP showing up in my account since it is considered a reversion back to the previous card. The supervisor told me that you have 45 days to revert back to the previous card (backsies) as long as that product is still available. She also said it takes 3-4 days for the new card product to update in Chase's system. I wonder if that happens in batches, and that's why there's the varying DPs of how long it takes for the CSP to drop off your profile.🤔 So my plan is to try applying in-branch in 10 business days, I need to do my own legwork here. lol Incidentally, it seems like you can pretty much freely do PCs.

Lots of news today! No AA deval! Yay!

https://onemileatatime.com/news/ame...res_no_aadvantage_award_chart_devaluation_yay
The Hyatt peak/non-peak changes are in effect. One of my bookings went down, so I should be getting total 15k points back. It's supposed to be automatic, but hasn't happened yet. Also have something booked on FNC that went down to 12k, so have to think about if I use the FNC on something else.

And I just booked a few summer nights last week. The points cost went from 20K to 23K.

I also had a difficult time just finding nights I could use points on. I'm happy now that I got the nights before the increase.

it's been awhile
just want to alert to a Marriott issue, lack of customer service

DH was platinum in 2019, never carried over.
early this year I booked 2 rooms at AC Marriott in Ft Lauderdale, opening summer 2021 For Dec 2021
about 2 weeks ago, got an email that it won't be ready and I need to go elsewhere. I booked so far out it was 25k points per room per night

called, they just give points back and don't honor anything. problem is rooms nearby are 50-60k points per room per night now
further away is 40k per

i lodged a "complaint" asking that they move me to another location. Just got email from customer care, nope they can't do that but they see there's hotels nearby for 30k per night

as I don't see anything like that I responded, can you tell me which and where as I don't see it. 4 days, no response

not a good way to treat customers. I wound up using hilton for 40k points per night not near water but at least we get breakfast credit.
Marriott gold gets nothing!

frustrating, and now with dynamic pricing coming out yuck. I'll stick with Hilton!

Did the $200 statement credit come off when you booked or not until after the stay?

Just back from the Dolphin booked through Amex travel. The $200 credit posted w/in days of the prepaid charge posting. For the $100 credit, we were told it was valid on food and beverage. We spent it on poolside dining and at Fuel, their quick-service/grocery and thought those options were great.

I would add your request to stay in the same room via Amex Travel and contact in-house reservations at Swolphin at reservations@swandolphin.com
They have been very hit/miss in responding, but just keep trying.

it's been awhile
just want to alert to a Marriott issue, lack of customer service

DH was platinum in 2019, never carried over.
early this year I booked 2 rooms at AC Marriott in Ft Lauderdale, opening summer 2021 For Dec 2021
about 2 weeks ago, got an email that it won't be ready and I need to go elsewhere. I booked so far out it was 25k points per room per night

called, they just give points back and don't honor anything. problem is rooms nearby are 50-60k points per room per night now
further away is 40k per

i lodged a "complaint" asking that they move me to another location. Just got email from customer care, nope they can't do that but they see there's hotels nearby for 30k per night

as I don't see anything like that I responded, can you tell me which and where as I don't see it. 4 days, no response

not a good way to treat customers. I wound up using hilton for 40k points per night not near water but at least we get breakfast credit.
Marriott gold gets nothing!

frustrating, and now with dynamic pricing coming out yuck. I'll stick with Hilton!
Alas this is why #Bonvoyed has become a thing in the churning community. Many tales like this 😔

Do ask the hotel exactly where the Food and Beverage credit with Hilton will be good at. There were some early reports of it only being good at select restaurants vs all F&B charges at some hotels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!