I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can still get cash back on your UR cards if you use them for Disney gift cards…..:sad1:just not at the increased PYB value on the CSR or CSP
I agree with Terp03- Hyatt is our sweet spot transfer for UR's- can get incredible value if you do your research. We just booked a hotel in Venice, Italy that is $800.00 a night for a standard room but we got it for 12,000 points per night. We are also in the middle of a mattress run to get to Globalist before the end of the year, which will give us an automatic suite upgrade valued at close to $1000.00 per night so this is incredible value for URs.

With that said, if you have a CSR or CSP it is better to just pay for your room and meals with that once you are there since the point redemptions are much better. If you have access to a Sam's or Costco or BJ's and value cash savings, you might want to get gift cards from a wholesale club and pay for entire the trip that way. Not as good a return as far as points are concerned- but not too bad, either.

Well I picked a fine time to dip my toe back into actual airline travel....now I have all of my previous concerns and a pile of canceled unreliable flight on top! This is a huge mess,and I'm seriously reconsidering bothering with swa CP again at this point. I'm just not sure how to go from here.... for this particular moment,I have a backup AA flight booked for tomorrow morning.... I don't know which I'll end up keeping but since I can cancel till like 10 minutes before on SWA I guess I'll hold that too...Dangit:headache:

I have had a Hilton AMEX for 15 years. I think it is my oldest cc. I opened a Platinum AMEX a couple of months ago, and it just occurred to me today that my Hilton Surpass card doesn't make much sense any longer. I don't need it for the Hilton Gold status (Platinum takes care of that). And I don't need it for the Priority Pass (Platinum also, actually better version).

So, I am thinking about either upgrading to the Aspire or downgrading to whatever no fee card is available. I will use the Aspire credits and make it worth the AF.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with -

If I ask to upgrade to Aspire, will I be eligible for a sign up bonus? The same as the public offer? I think it is 150k points, which is about as good as it usually gets, right? Will this upgrade count against my 5/24 number? Is it considered getting a new card? I am at 4/24 right now.

Same question about a downgrade. I assume that wouldn't count against me. I am pretty sure any downgrade is not eligible for any bonuses, right?

Anyone have anything I should consider before upgrading?

I have a business card pending and I have to calculate my spend so I don't stretch my spending thin. So, I am not in a rush to do this upgrade right now if there is a big MSR requirement.
You've gotten good comments about your situation. The only other thing I'd add is keep in mind what your Chase 5/24 status is like if you're intending to keep getting Chase cards. A PC will not affect 5/24, but a new application for a personal card will.
Having one version of a co-branded Amex card does not preclude you from getting the others that you have not had before (as distinguished from certain Chase card groups). But, given the 4-5 card limit at any one time, unless you need the no AF Hilton card to keep your points/account active, I would just cancel it. From an age of account standpoint, it will still age and factor into your credit history for the next 10 years (and age of account really isn't all that vital).
Since they have a Plat Amex, they can simply transfer 1000 MRs over to Hilton to keep their account active. Just need to do it every 15 months since Hilton points expire unless there's activity every 15 months (to the day!). There is a temporary halt to point expiry until Dec 31, 2021.

The Amex criteria for getting the bonus is that you've never had the card before. By downgrading or upgrading to a card you've never had before, you lock yourself out of the SUB. So before you do it, ask yourself if you're okay with that.

The Cash Magnet bonus is usually not that high, so I might be okay with that one. The Hilton cards, I wouldn't be okay with it. The no fee Hilton is at 130k (maybe even 150k), valued at 0.4 cent per point is a $520 SUB.

Right, at this point I don't see myself ever applying for the Cash Magnet card, but since I don't use my Blue Cash Everyday anyway, it would be like a free $150 if I PC it (assuming that it wouldn't eat one of my 5/24 slots, if it might, I wouldn't do this!) Is there any risk of it counting against 5/24 or am I totally safe in that regard if I PC it for the bonus?

OMG SW is a mess. I know DD told me there were major issues in FL on Friday. Hoping she gets back to Atlanta ok on Tuesday.
I rebooked a WN flight I'm supposed to take this upcoming Sunday to a less convenient and a little more expensive DL flight after seeing this mess. At least the 3rd meltdown they've had in the last 4 months. Not ok. Especially not ok were the FT reports of WN refusing to give people their bags despite the bags being in the same airport as the people and their flights being cancelled/rebooked days later. The flight I was supposed to take may run smoothly next weekend (it was cancelled this weekend) but I don't need to spend my relaxing girl's weekend worried I'll be stuck in Phoenix for days on end/having to pay through the nose for alternate transport.

I canceled our trip to Costa Rica over Thanksgiving. 😢 With the combination of covid and a HS senior who has college apps to do, it was more risk than I felt comfortable with. Fortunately, got points redeposited and fees refunded, so I'm only out the money I spent on travel insurance (required by Costa Rica for travelers).

I still have Hawaii over Christmas and I hope we can keep that one. Of course there are more college apps due early January, so we'll see how that goes.

Right, at this point I don't see myself ever applying for the Cash Magnet card, but since I don't use my Blue Cash Everyday anyway, it would be like a free $150 if I PC it (assuming that it wouldn't eat one of my 5/24 slots, if it might, I wouldn't do this!) Is there any risk of it counting against 5/24 or am I totally safe in that regard if I PC it for the bonus?

It won't count against your 5/24. You keep the same account number and history.

WEll I just applied to the CIC again....I got it! $3k CL. So this should make hitting the spend fun. Not sure why it didn't like me on Saturday.

Now as your resident airline insider......Wanna say I read in one of my pilot partner groups, this is NOT due to the vax like reported. The weather on Friday did shut down a lot of FL. I know Spirit had cancelled flights. That CAN snowball (the gen public doesn't understand this concept). If you have a lot of your flights moving through a place w/ weather, well then those planes and crews didn't get to where they needed. I also read that SW has been short staffing and built a schedule w/o crews. AA did that earlier this summer. So for those w/ SW flights, can this be fixed? Sure. How long will it take? Well that's dependant on the airline. When Spirit had it's meltdown it basically needed to cancel about 75% and get everyone back where they needed to be. But that said, they have the crew (and reserve) for their schedules. So it sounds like even if SW gets all their crews positioned correctly, there will still be routes that will have to be cancelled.

I have to say, I really am struggling with SM and it's misinformation! It's true about EVERYTHING these days.

Non-CC related, but I know there's a few Spirit Airlines people on this board.
Long story short we just moved a Cancun trip to Jamaica for next Mon. We booked our new flights w/Spirit.
We fly OHare to Fort Lauderdale to Montego Bay then the exact opposite on the way back.
For outbound flight, please tell me Spirit will transfer our bags from the 1st leg to the 2nd leg, like other airlines (I haven't had a layover forever).
For inbound, we have to go thru customs in FLL, get our bags, then recheck for 2nd leg to ORD? Two hour layover *should be enough time to do this?
Bonus: we're staying at an all inclusive in Montego Bay, I haven't done my research yet, any awesome excursions?
I'm the Spirit GF, LOL. If I asked my BF he'd say, I have no clue. But I'm going to assume you'll be fine and they will transfer them. FLL is HQ, and the hub for lots of the international trips.

OMG SW is a mess. I know DD told me there were major issues in FL on Friday. Hoping she gets back to Atlanta ok on Tuesday.
Glad you were able to rebook her. It is a mess.

Mayne a bit off topic, but that makes me wonder - what is the longest operational problem an airline has ever survived. My initial reaction to your question is to say don't worry. If SW has a problem that lasts 2 weeks straight, they might as well hang it up.
I know the 5 days cost Spirit MILLLLLLLLIONS! That said, the airlines did just go through a very long period w/ lighter loads and less routes. And not all of them took the bailout.

Well we're a SW casualty from today, our SW flights from Wichita to Orlando were cancelled late last night. Didn't find out till 4 this am. There weren't any available SW flights from Wichita, OKC, or Tulsa. Ended up booking a Spirit flight out of KC (3 hours away) and waiting at the gate now. Should get in about 2 hours later than originally planned. So instead of a free flight on points we paid $430 each RT. We didn't want to risk having them cancel our SW flight back on Sun so we just did RT. I waited on hold 3.5 hours with SW but the call dropped while we were on the road so I'll need to find time to call back later. Hoping the rest of the trip is uneventful!

Has anyone had a cruise cancelled with Carnival since Covid, or more recent? We had to make the selection online of whether we wanted a full refund or a future cruise credit. Just wondering how long until they process and we're able to rebook...? And do you have to call to rebook or can you now do it online using the credit? Thanks in advance!

Has anyone had a cruise cancelled with Carnival since Covid, or more recent? We had to make the selection online of whether we wanted a full refund or a future cruise credit. Just wondering how long until they process and we're able to rebook...? And do you have to call to rebook or can you now do it online using the credit? Thanks in advance!

Do you have a PVP with Carnival? I got a hold of mine when a cruise was cancelled and he got us booked on a new cruise with all the extra OBC right away.

Do you have a PVP with Carnival? I got a hold of mine when a cruise was cancelled and he got us booked on a new cruise with all the extra OBC right away.
Hmm... I don't, but I may have to call in to see what can be done now. I already made my selection via the online link they sent in the email. We don't have months to wait, as we're trying to rebook for January.

Trip Insurance experts, I need your help.
I signed up for a tour through my college alumni group and it looks like there's some trip insurance coverage. I'm wondering if the parts that aren't covered, can be covered by the CSR trip insurance or the Amex Plat... I just have to pay for a portion of the trip, right? Here's what they say:

Please note that because you are attending an AHI trip, you will receive AHI Travel Assurance, insurance coverage provided by AHI at no additional cost. This package includes these important features:
  • Accident and Sickness Medical Expense, covering any illness (or accident), including COVID-19.
  • Trip Delay, including expenses incurred due to an official quarantine.
  • Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation, covering emergency transportation to the nearest adequate medical facility.
However, we urge you to purchase additional travel insurance that covers a variety of important, travel-related contingencies not included in the AHI Travel Assurance package such as:
  • Trip Cancellation
  • Trip Interruption
  • Accidental Death or Dismemberment
  • Baggage and Personal Effects
  • Baggage Delay
  • Any Reason Cancellation coverage
Thanks in advance!

Trip Insurance experts, I need your help.
I signed up for a tour through my college alumni group and it looks like there's some trip insurance coverage. I'm wondering if the parts that aren't covered, can be covered by the CSR trip insurance or the Amex Plat... I just have to pay for a portion of the trip, right? Here's what they say:

Please note that because you are attending an AHI trip, you will receive AHI Travel Assurance, insurance coverage provided by AHI at no additional cost. This package includes these important features:
  • Accident and Sickness Medical Expense, covering any illness (or accident), including COVID-19.
  • Trip Delay, including expenses incurred due to an official quarantine.
  • Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation, covering emergency transportation to the nearest adequate medical facility.
However, we urge you to purchase additional travel insurance that covers a variety of important, travel-related contingencies not included in the AHI Travel Assurance package such as:
  • Trip Cancellation
  • Trip Interruption
  • Accidental Death or Dismemberment
  • Baggage and Personal Effects
  • Baggage Delay
  • Any Reason Cancellation coverage
Thanks in advance!
What are the limits on the coverages provided by AHI insurance? Where is the trip going? FTR, I almost always purchase trip insurance from a third party for travel outside of North America with high limits for all coverages, just in case and for peace of mind.

What happens if a relative gets sick or passes away (either before you leave or while you're on the trip)? Is this covered under credit card trip cancellation insurance? If yes, what is the covered limit versus the cost of your trip?

How does AHI insurance handle pre-existing conditions? How does credit card insurance handle them?

I don't think that either the CSR or AmEx plat offer "cancel for any reason coverage".

I'd ask to see a copy of the AHI policy, compare it to credit card insurance and buy insurance to fill-in the gaps. I have had to use travel insurance and you want to ensure that you have the most comprehensive policy available to you, should something unforeseen happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter