I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done the smaller RCCL cruise ships? Looking at the Explorer of the Seas for $2000 in a balcony from Puerto Rico the week before/including Christmas. That seems insane!
We did RCCL cruise out of Puerto Rico years ago, kids were in their teens…nice ship, activities and ports…..but the kids didn’t go to the teen stuff after stopping in the first night since the music/language was 95% in Spanish which they weren’t too familiar with.

We did RCCL cruise out of Puerto Rico years ago, kids were in their teens…nice ship, activities and ports…..but the kids didn’t go to the teen stuff after stopping in the first night since the music/language was 95% in Spanish which they weren’t too familiar with.
Interesting on the Spanish. DS is on Yr 3 of Spanish so it might be good for him to practice.

This could be a game changer for me. What do you have to do to use it as a debit card? How do you get a pin? Do you have to register the card online?

I'd like to know too. I'm wondering if this is a way I can pay for my kids' college tuition. Their college doesn't take credit cards.

You can transfer URs to Emirates, but first you'd have to ensure that first class is open for your dates. I have never redeemed with Emirates before, but my (limited) understanding is you'd have to book the seat as soon as it's released as they are very popular.

I would consider driving to Toronto for your flight. There is a 20% redemption bonus on MR transfers to Aeroplan (until September 30th) so you'd save a bit (don't know how many MRs you have). If you don't have enough MRs to transfer to Aeroplan you can use your URs for the balance. If for some reason you don't end up going, Aeroplan would be easier to redeem for flights as they partner with UA. While biz class pods on AC are not first class, they are very comfortable and I would definitely consider the option (bonus that you wouldn't have to take a positioning flight). In the airline miles game, it is best to know your dates a year in advance of the trip and book your award seats the day inventory is released to lock in the best seats at the lowest miles.

Thanks for the tip, @*WDW*Groupie* I will look at Aeroplan. I have about 300K UR.

trying to plan where to go for my Bday next month. I have 4 FNC with Marriott we've been looking at using. The issue is, getting where we want to go. Airfare is high for places like Napa (and spirit stopped their direct flights out there). So we're left with Lauderdale or Myrtle (which we did last year). Downside of Lauderdale.....NO ZAXBY'S! Yes, I'm legit thinking of picking a vacation spot based on chicken, LOL

trying to plan where to go for my Bday next month. I have 4 FNC with Marriott we've been looking at using. The issue is, getting where we want to go. Airfare is high for places like Napa (and spirit stopped their direct flights out there). So we're left with Lauderdale or Myrtle (which we did last year). Downside of Lauderdale.....NO ZAXBY'S! Yes, I'm legit thinking of picking a vacation spot based on chicken, LOL
HaHa you sound like my DD. She loves Zaxby's too.

Has anyone done the smaller RCCL cruise ships? Looking at the Explorer of the Seas for $2000 in a balcony from Puerto Rico the week before/including Christmas. That seems insane!

I've sailed on the sister ship, Navigator of the Seas many years ago. It amused me to see you refer to Explorer as one of the smaller RCCL ships - whilst true - it is by no means small and despite being 20 years old - the Voyager class would still be near the top in size for many most cruiselines. I would not hesitate to sail that class of ship again for the right price/itinerary. If you have sailed on any of the Freedom class ships (Liberty/Independence/Freedom), the Explorer will seem very familiar as it is essentially the same design. If you took a Voyager class - cut it in half and inserted an extra mid section, then you would have a Freedom class.

The last time we sailed out of Puerto Rico, there was a lot of folks from all over Latin America. Spanish was probably heard more often than English whilst walking around the ship. We tend to go with the flow and thought the different vibe actually added to the sense of vacation. I would say there was an unusually high number of large family groups - like 20 or more people - which had the undesirable effect of creating bigger than usual problems with seat saving/line cutting etc. Some folks got REALLY hot under the collar over this, but as I said, if you can go with the flow, it should be fine.

Last edited:

Tulsa, OK has Zaxby's. LOL

Also, we are taking a weekend getaway in Dallas just to eat In-n-Out since we haven't had any this year.

Adding to the Royal Caribbean/Puerto Rico discussion. We sailed on a 9 night Southern Caribbean out of Miami on Explorer in February 2020 (yes, right before lock down). We had already been on Liberty and Harmony. I do love the size of the Voyager Class ships (my favorite size is the Freedom class). We enjoy the putt-putt, rock walls, ice skating, and water slides. I will say though, Explorer was looking a little rough around the edges; nothing horrible, but we noticed some rust and maintenance that probably should have been dealt with. It would not stop me from sailing her if the itinerary was one I wanted though. Regarding leaving from Puerto Rico, we have done that twice - both times on Disney. I do agree completely with what a previous poster said about the family groups being quite large, i.e. they would kind of take over areas and walk ways. It is more of an inconvenience than anything, but one that did not change over the course of the cruise. We love Puerto Rico and have spent several days there pre-cruises and would do it again. But with the caveat that it is a different clientele from one that sails from say Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

Daily Getaways are back on Oct 7! Last time they had these (has it been 2 years?!) I got really great deals on attraction tickets for Orlando. Hoping to find a good deal for waterparks or Universal this time!
Thanks for mentioning this! I've never bought tickets, but last time it looked like they had some really good deals. We are doing a Discovery Cove/SeaWorld trip at the end of October and it would be great if I could get a good discount on tickets. I know SeaWorld has been on there before, but not sure about Discovery Cove. Fingers crossed they have what we need.

Thanks for mentioning this! I've never bought tickets, but last time it looked like they had some really good deals. We are doing a Discovery Cove/SeaWorld trip at the end of October and it would be great if I could get a good discount on tickets. I know SeaWorld has been on there before, but not sure about Discovery Cove. Fingers crossed they have what we need.
Discovery Cove is typically on there also. I have bought the SeaWorld tickets twice (I think) and have found them to be a great value! We actually like SW very much especially if you like coasters.

I've sailed on the sister ship, Navigator of the Seas many years ago. It amused me to see you refer to Explorer as one of the smaller RCCL ships - whilst true - it is by no means small and despite being 20 years old - the Voyager class would still be near the top in size for many most cruiselines. I would not hesitate to sail that class of ship again for the right price/itinerary. If you have sailed on any of the Freedom class ships (Liberty/Independence/Freedom), the Explorer will seem very familiar as it is essentially the same design. If you took a Voyager class - cut it in half and inserted an extra mid section, then you would have a Freedom class.

The last time we sailed out of Puerto Rico, there was a lot of folks from all over Latin America. Spanish was probably heard more often than English whilst walking around the ship. We tend to go with the flow and thought the different vibe actually added to the sense of vacation. I would say there was an unusually high number of large family groups - like 20 or more people - which had the undesirable effect of creating bigger than usual problems with seat saving/line cutting etc. Some folks got REALLY hot under the collar over this, but as I said, if you can go with the flow, it should be fine.
Thank you. We have only sailed on the Oasis class ships so I guess that is always comes to mind.

Adding to the Royal Caribbean/Puerto Rico discussion. We sailed on a 9 night Southern Caribbean out of Miami on Explorer in February 2020 (yes, right before lock down). We had already been on Liberty and Harmony. I do love the size of the Voyager Class ships (my favorite size is the Freedom class). We enjoy the putt-putt, rock walls, ice skating, and water slides. I will say though, Explorer was looking a little rough around the edges; nothing horrible, but we noticed some rust and maintenance that probably should have been dealt with. It would not stop me from sailing her if the itinerary was one I wanted though. Regarding leaving from Puerto Rico, we have done that twice - both times on Disney. I do agree completely with what a previous poster said about the family groups being quite large, i.e. they would kind of take over areas and walk ways. It is more of an inconvenience than anything, but one that did not change over the course of the cruise. We love Puerto Rico and have spent several days there pre-cruises and would do it again. But with the caveat that it is a different clientele from one that sails from say Fort Lauderdale or Miami.
Thank you! I think she got a bit of a refresh over the pandemic but I am not sure how much.

Now I could get on board with a trip just for In-N-Out. I was lucky to get some in CO in July. We have Zaxby's locally so that isn't an attraction to me - but I remember how it was when we didn't have them.

I've driven up to BC for the day just for Tim Horton's and Boston Pizza. I generally also do some shopping but really I just want the food. Oh and I got Lauderee macrons the last time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter