I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year!

To all those who have a companion certificate with the Delta Platinum I have a question. @speedyfishy, @tink1970, @shairpdrh, @GlamMistress (not sure who else). Have you been able to use your yearly companion certificates okay lately? I have had at least one for years but last year when I tried to book it was a huge pain to find flights that qualified and were not sold out. This year I thought okay...I will book early so not sold out. Yesterday I get on to look for our October and November flights and the flights I want are still showing sold out. Night flights and red eyes are available but that is about it. Right now between DH and I we have three companion certificates to use this year. If the trend has changed and it is really hard to use I think I am going to at least downgrade one of the cards to the no fee Delta Blue. Especially since the AF is going up $55 end of January. Any input on it welcome.
I was able to use one last year, for dd and her friend to fly to MCO, but there were less options for flights. Had no problem finding something they would use though. I don't even normally use them, as I don't pay for flights, I just downgrade.

This is sort of off-topic for this thread, but I trust everyone here so had to ask all of you. Should my DH and I and our 10 year old boys move from the CBR to Yacht Club OR use Chase UR points and stay off site? We will only be at Disney 3 nights (2/17-2/20). We were not able to get a 5 person room for all 3 nights, so first night we are in ‘hopefully’ connecting rooms. Price was ok, but not great for room size, but we are excited to check on the gondola. We have only ever stayed at the Polynesian, so I get that this is a downgrade, but or sole purpose for this Disney trip is SWGE, but honestly, who am I kidding? They’re going to want to go to the castle too. The first part of our trip we will be at Universal at Portofino Bay on UR points thanks to everyone’s help and advice here! Woohoo!

Our options are to stay put and pay cash, cash out our CSR UR points and upgrade and move to Yacht club for $524 or Boardwalk Inn for $486, A o A for $430. Beach Club was available and is gone now, so I need to decide quick. The Polynesian is $898–It’s just not happening; OR...move to Disney Springs or another Disney affiliated hotel where we can use UR points abd get a better value than cashing out and just take a Lyft to the parks. What would you do? Will we miss not being on the Skyliner? Will we hate moving after 1 night? Will we be cramped at CBR?
I have never stayed at CBR (or most of the others) but location alone says Boardwalk. You can walk to DHS. Plus it’s not that hard to get to MK. We stay mostly at Swolphin and will often walk to Epcot, get breakfast in France, then walk to Monorail to ride to MK. You could also take the bus but it’s not as fun.

Happy New Year, everyone. I did celebrate NYE by seeing all the earlier NYE celebrations (Sydney fireworks, Chinese drones, a shot of Big Ben striking midnight) on the 6pm news. I counted that as the same as staying up. In bed by 10pm and asleep until midnight and some noises (guns/fireworks) woke me up. Quickly back to sleep.

I've got the "next day is work doldrums". Been off since the 21st. Usually I am raring to go back as that is a lot of time off. But this year, I am not ready to go back. I think it is actually good to go back tomorrow and then will have 2 days off before starting a full week. Next big break will be Spring Break in southern California (66 days, not that I am counting down).
I have a 5 day weekend. Yay. But DS is up asking when our next trip to WDW is. And apparently DLR in June is not the answer.
Our first 2020 trip is 65 days away to USO, then Nola in 88 days.

@Judique so this...
https://www.costco.com/tramontina-proline-14-inch-fry-pan.product.100365411.htmlbut not this...
https://www.costco.com/tramontina-2...n-stick-silicone-grips.product.100365410.html
I have Copper Bottom Revere pans that I have had for 30 years that I use for things that I don't need non stick, but I need new frying pans, and dh makes oatmeal every day, and non stick sauce pan works best for that too.

Proline yes, but do you need that huge of a pan? 14 inches is really big. I have the all clad 14 inch and I never use it. It can cook for a small army. You almost need a gas burner to cook with that size pan as an electric does not have enough contact area.

The other's are less heavy but still okay, but not as nice as the proline. I see Costco doesn't carry the ones I have anymore. Amazon has the 12 inch for $35 and the 8 and 10 inch as a set for $41. Costco used to sell same 2 piece for 24.99. Some have a red silicone handle and some have dark gray, but same quality under proline.

Proline yes, but do you need that huge of a pan? 14 inches is really big. I have the all clad 14 inch and I never use it. It can cook for a small army. You almost need a gas burner to cook with that size pan as an electric does not have enough contact area.

The other's are less heavy but still okay, but not as nice as the proline. I see Costco doesn't carry the ones I have anymore. Amazon has the 12 inch for $35 and the 8 and 10 inch as a set for $41. Costco used to sell same 2 piece for 24.99. Some have a red silicone handle and some have dark gray, but same quality under proline.
And I am always looking for a bigger pan. Lol As a single person, I can see why that seems huge, but I like to cook bigger meals and freeze part, or just cook multiple meals at once. Like lots of taco filling, then divide and freeze. Sometimes cook for the whole family (which includes my mom plus my sister’s fam of 5).

So in prep for taking a cip today, I tried to lower DHs credit limits on his 4 Chase Biz cards. Total for all was 21k. 2 were successfully lowered to $1k or $2k. For his SW performance, the reply was $5k was the minimum for a partner card, so they can not reduce it. Total is now 13k.
Think that is low enough? Should I try today?

Speaking of kitchen items, we are on the hunt for a new electric skillet. The old one, which was like the one below, finally bit the dust so if anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears. Also need a new non stick frying pan that works on an induction stove top.

Presto-06850-16-inch-Electric-Skillet.jpg

2020 plans
We have a Disney cruise scheduled in Nov. We will spend 2 days in Universal before hand.
I need as many URs and MRs and I can get. I am kind of low risk and like Chase so I won’t push opening cards over and over with them. I am going to really maximize the cards I have for this year.
I would like more Southwest points. Not sure if I should go for the personal or business card in a few weeks. Was thinking of trying For the companion pass but unsure if it’s really necessary. Havent figured out 2011 plans so don’t know if it will involve any flights yet.

I need to cancel my Barclay Arrival this month when the annual fee hits.
Also closely looking at my Amex Marriott card. I can’t really seem to find a use for the free night and the offers weren’t good enough to justify the annual fee. I hate the idea of closing one of the two Amex cards I have and being put on their pop up list so we will see.

I am kind of thinking I want to do an Alaskan cruise for my 40th bday which is in June 2022. Getting 5 people from CT to the west coast plus the cruises themselves look pretty pricey. Will need to start working on building up points after our Nov trip is done.

I will also most likely do the Chase business checking bonus if I can find the email I sent myself. Just hate having to go to the bank to open it account.

I have never stayed at CBR (or most of the others) but location alone says Boardwalk. You can walk to DHS. Plus it’s not that hard to get to MK. We stay mostly at Swolphin and will often walk to Epcot, get breakfast in France, then walk to Monorail to ride to MK. You could also take the bus but it’s not as fun.

I've done this. Except I'll usually go to Sunshine Seasons if I'm going to use the monorail. Of course I'm not rope dropping MK.

@pinkxray youve reminded me I need to find a use for my last $400 on my arrival card before my af hits. If you have any to use up you have up to 60 days after the af hits to get it refunded.

ok...UR for international flights experts.... I'm helping a friend plan a trip using UR.... and I'd love any and all advice about using them to book United...or if there's a way to book Aemrican using UR,even better. Right now I'm thinking it's simple enough- transfer UR-United,book desired award flights. Is that about all I need to know? How long does the transfer take? On the other hand..AA has better points prices, but no direct way to transfer the UR. Any advice? and thank you...:)
oops-ETA.... they don't care about great seats,economy or basic is fine with them- (flying to Panama)

another question :worship::rolleyes1 this time it's about PC'ing a csp -csr..... say my friend PC'd it today- I'm a little confused by the TC timeline. Would it appear in January,like as soon as it's PC'd? or another date? thank you (I'm considering advising this for a friend who might book a cruise using UR,and wants the better price)

I would absolutely hate trying to navigate the park with that many people. Maybe if I went just to sit on a bench lol
crowds? ok....crowds with a stroller? NOPE. Never ever again. I almost had a panic attack many years back, got stuck with my little one near the hub after fireworks.... you couldn't move. And a stroller just made it worse. I picked up the kid,left the rental stroller and made my way to somewhere less packed, it was not a good thing. strollers/anything wheeled like a scooter changes everything in the equation in packed parks. This is stuck in my mind,even tho it was million years ago:crowded:

Last edited:
This is sort of off-topic for this thread, but I trust everyone here so had to ask all of you. Should my DH and I and our 10 year old boys move from the CBR to Yacht Club OR use Chase UR points and stay off site? We will only be at Disney 3 nights (2/17-2/20). We were not able to get a 5 person room for all 3 nights, so first night we are in ‘hopefully’ connecting rooms. Price was ok, but not great for room size, but we are excited to check on the gondola. We have only ever stayed at the Polynesian, so I get that this is a downgrade, but or sole purpose for this Disney trip is SWGE, but honestly, who am I kidding? They’re going to want to go to the castle too. The first part of our trip we will be at Universal at Portofino Bay on UR points thanks to everyone’s help and advice here! Woohoo!

Our options are to stay put and pay cash, cash out our CSR UR points and upgrade and move to Yacht club for $524 or Boardwalk Inn for $486, A o A for $430. Beach Club was available and is gone now, so I need to decide quick. The Polynesian is $898–It’s just not happening; OR...move to Disney Springs or another Disney affiliated hotel where we can use UR points abd get a better value than cashing out and just take a Lyft to the parks. What would you do? Will we miss not being on the Skyliner? Will we hate moving after 1 night? Will we be cramped at CBR?
I’m team Yacht Club! Love being able to walk to 2 parks.
So in prep for taking a cip today, I tried to lower DHs credit limits on his 4 Chase Biz cards. Total for all was 21k. 2 were successfully lowered to $1k or $2k. For his SW performance, the reply was $5k was the minimum for a partner card, so they can not reduce it. Total is now 13k.
Think that is low enough? Should I try today?
You’ve carved out more than $5k in additional space so you should be good!

That’s an awesome motivator!

I think I have a hard time because I technically have room in my closet for everything and includes not having to switch out for seasons. But then I look at and can’t figure out what to wear because there are too many options. I need a uniform like DS :)
I read Marie Kondo's book.(more in depth than the show) and streamlined my clothes and things. Not a minimalist at all here, but the process made it very simple to get rid of all unwanted and unloved things.
The sentence in the book that motivated me most was "all good organizers are hoarders. If you don't have too much stuff,organizing is no longer an issue b/c there's a clear place for each thing." (paraphrasing here, but after I got past being insulted,I realized this statement was true.)

Just got my three business class flights on BA to London for next Christmas. This will be our first Christmas in London, and we can't wait. We are hoping DD20 will be in a masters program over there--if not she might be in economy by herself, LOL. She graduates from Uni in Northern England this summer. Time flies!

That's too bad. I've been running since I was 13. I've run several marathons, 10k's 5k. etc. I can't run marathons anymore, but I still run 5 or 6 miles a day. I've been the neighborhood Forrest Gump since we moved here 23 years ago.
I’ve given up because my knees just won’t let me. If I go much more than 2 1/2 miles it feels like my muscle is being ripped from my knee on the side. It’s very painful

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter