I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a recent successful MDD post on DISchurners and I recently did a little write up over there on the process. It is alive and well... if you have the right pacing leading up to it.
I'm behind on this thread... I will check out the DISChurners post. We are hoping we can travel again next year, so I need to get my points in order! ;-)

We love Maui much more than Oahu. Don't get me wrong, Oahu is still beautiful. But Maui is just, WOW. Haleakala, Road to Hana, absolute beautiful snorkeling and beaches. We've been to the 4 main islands. On our next trip we want to do just Maui, since that was the standout favorite for us. We also love the Big Island.
My kids sleep on planes (something about the vibration maybe), so I would definitely do the 1 stop with one long flight.

A week is better for an island you haven't been to before. 5th night free is a good deal though, so maybe you want to move the 6th HHV night to Wailea. Even better if you can extend your trip. 😁
The only island in Hawaii that we've been on is Maui. It's very pretty. The Grand Wailea is a beautiful property and has plenty of things for kids to do. They have huge pool area's, the beach and a kids program.
We stayed at the Grand Wailea when DD was 4. This was in early May of 2008. She loved it! We ate at the overwater restaurant at the Grand Wailea (I don't remember the name) and one of the servers showed her how to throw pieces of the rolls of bread over the railing to feed the large fish below. We met a few people that were staying at the Four Seasons that would walk over to eat at that restaurant. We got the breakfast buffet a couple of mornings. The view from the balcony is incredible! Just watch out for the birds that like to steal food.
We went on a boat/snorkel trip that the people at the hotel recommended. It was fun and they even had boards for the younger children that had the googles built in.

My opinion on the flights is that the 1 stop will be best. Adding an additional stop not only increases the chance of lost luggage but also causes a longer travel day because of the layover time and potential delayed takeoff. I'm guessing your children will be very excited to go and will be troopers. DD has gone on some long plane rides over the years and has been fine. She was 6 when she flew from ABQ to EWR to LHR (London), in coach. A really long travel day and she handled it better than we did. I would always pack some snacks in my carry on, along with a neck pillow and possibly a small blanket, and made sure she had something to entertain her.
Maui is lovely and the GWR is great for kids. It was our "go to place" most years when our DD was little. The pools are fantastic and it's also on a very nice beach that is usually perfect for swimming and great for sand-castle construction. :goodvibes We never go to Oahu, preferring Maui and/or Kauai and the big Island (Hawaii).
I’ll circle back when I have more time this weekend. I’d consider doing 4 days on Maui and 5 on Oahu. I just think 5 days on Oahu is enough time to do most of the things I can think to recommend. Perhaps switch the order and do Oahu first, then do Maui. Oahu is a lot more urbanized. Honolulu, Waikiki, and the southern side of the island are a lot more like some big cities on the mainland. Maui is more laid back and probably more of what people have in mind when they think of Hawaii. I’d also do the one stop. I just think every time you have to make a layover, get off, board again, is more draining than even sitting on a plane for 8 hours. Try to catch some zzz.
Sorry, I missed this a couple days ago. I'm getting caught up and saw that you've had some great advice. As PPs have said, in general, I think the less connections the better so I'd probably go for the DFW to OGG unless you switch around the order as Lain suggested. I'd suggest more days in Maui and a few less in Oahu, but not sure if that works with your budget. I do enjoy the Waikiki Beach area so I'm not a Never-Oahuer, but Maui is definitely my favorite and where we spend so much time. In a normal year, I'm in Maui 3-6 weeks a year. I actually stayed at the HHV the last time I was on Oahu (a couple years ago), and it was fun. Make sure to hit Duke's if only for the the t-shirt :)

My mom's place is at the Ho'olei, which is attached to the Grand Wailea, so I'm definitely biased, but I think it's one of the best resorts for kids. My kids LOVED it when they were that age. We stayed at the Four Seasons next door the first few times we took them, and they looked longingly at the GW pools/slides, etc. every time we walked by, LOL. I wasn't paying a ton of attention to the pools/kids facilities at the HHV, but I think the GW has quite a bit more. I'm assuming COVID restrictions will be over by then, but you might check into any changes for the kids facilities. We used both the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea kids clubs when our kids were younger, and both were great if that is something you might consider for an adult night out. And I would definitely try to get reservations at Mama's for lunch or dinner for the adult meal.

Thank you so much for the replies! I think I'm convinced on booking the 1 stop flight vs the 2 stops. Now I'm a little indecisive on just doing Maui vs Maui/Oahu split. I like the suggestion of doing Oahu then Maui, but the Aspire comes with a free weekend night, so I think Maui needs to come first since I'd like to leave for home on either Thurs or Fri to have time to recover from the time change before going back to work on Mon. It seems a little strange/scary if we skip Oahu all together because we have been there before and know we enjoy it (we actually honeymooned at the HHV). DH and I enjoy the shopping marketplace and snorkeling at Hanuma Bay and the turtle beach (can't remember the name). Although, it does seem like most of these activities are available in Maui. I need to do a little more number-crunching to see what's feasible points-wise since GW is more per night. It's great to hear everyone's had such great experiences there! There's probably not a wrong decision either way since it is Hawaii, I just want to have everyone have the best trip possible! I also hope that by next July there aren't Covid restrictions that throw a wrench in our plans. Anyways thanks again for the feedback! I can book our outgoing flight in two more days so I'll be sure to report back how that goes.

Thank you so much for the replies! I think I'm convinced on booking the 1 stop flight vs the 2 stops. Now I'm a little indecisive on just doing Maui vs Maui/Oahu split. I like the suggestion of doing Oahu then Maui, but the Aspire comes with a free weekend night, so I think Maui needs to come first since I'd like to leave for home on either Thurs or Fri to have time to recover from the time change before going back to work on Mon. It seems a little strange/scary if we skip Oahu all together because we have been there before and know we enjoy it (we actually honeymooned at the HHV). DH and I enjoy the shopping marketplace and snorkeling at Hanuma Bay and the turtle beach (can't remember the name). Although, it does seem like most of these activities are available in Maui. I need to do a little more number-crunching to see what's feasible points-wise since GW is more per night. It's great to hear everyone's had such great experiences there! There's probably not a wrong decision either way since it is Hawaii, I just want to have everyone have the best trip possible! I also hope that by next July there aren't Covid restrictions that throw a wrench in our plans. Anyways thanks again for the feedback! I can book our outgoing flight in two more days so I'll be sure to report back how that goes.

You can use the Hilton free nights any day of the week now. For any unexpired or issued this year.

The shopping marketplace, are you thinking of Ala Moana Mall or the International Market Place? They completely redid the International Market Place. It's now an upscale outdoor mall. I was nostalgic for the old one when we were there last.

I have a fun teen driver's license story! We recently moved to a new state. DD (16), DH and I went to get a new license in the new state. It took about a month to get an appointment. Brought all of our paperwork. DD not allowed to get a license because she also needs a driving log, certificate from school that she is a student, and her driver's ed certificate. None of which we had, because she already had a full license, real ID, from another state, without restrictions.

So, get all the paperwork in order, including the certificate from school. I realized after we got it that it expires in 30 days. So check with every DMV within an hour and a half drive for an appointment. Found one an hour and 15 mins away, 28 days later. So everything in order, went with all the proper paperwork. Waited in a long line outside (for the 2nd time), only to find that that she cannot get a license for our new state until she's had her current license for a year (which is next month). That was not mentioned the first time, only the paperwork needed. So, she'll keep driving another month or so (probably a lot longer, it takes a while to get an appt) on her out of state license. Will have to get another certificate from school. More driving logs (even though she's been driving for a year unsupervised). At this point, i'm fine with her waiting until 18 when none of this is required. But she cannot get a parking pass for school (if it ever opens) unless she has a NC license.

FWIW, I believe they can take driver's ed at 14 and 9 mos, and permit at 15. I have a 15 y.o. also and lucky for me, he has no interest in driving yet. My mental health can only take one teen driver! :rotfl:
Holy cow--that's completely crazy! And I've been stalking our DMV's website and actually found an appointment for today at noon.

You can use the Hilton free nights any day of the week now. For any unexpired or issued this year.

The shopping marketplace, are you thinking of Ala Moana Mall or the International Market Place? They completely redid the International Market Place. It's now an upscale outdoor mall. I was nostalgic for the old one when we were there last.

Thank you! I didn't realize the Hilton free weekend night had been extended that far! I thought when I looked previously the any night use ended before we planned on going. According to frequentnmiler it just needs to be earned/awarded by 12/31/20 so as long as DH gets the Aspire before the end of the year we should be good (planning on having him apply in the next week or so).

Well I thought both, but maybe I'm crazy. I definitely remember the International Marketplace from our first visit 20 or so years ago, but also just remember walking to go shopping at Waikiki. For some reason my DH always buys a Banana Republic teeshirt that says Waikiki. He hasn't worn his last one because he says he's waiting to buy another one first. :rolleyes: It's sad the Int'l Market is gone though, it was a fun place just to walk around.

Approved for CSP 2 days ago, so trying to set up card in Apple Wallet. When I go to that section in Chase app, it shows eligible cards and the new card is not there. Is there a trick to this?

I have been trying to find availability at the WA in the Maldives for our trip next spring. I had e-mailed the manager there (who I was dealing with to cancel our reservation in April) and he just got back to me with some dates that are open. I feel like I'm crazy, but I am going to re-arrange our entire trip to accommodate a one week stay here! I figure we will go Toronto to London, London to Male, Male to Singapore, Singapore to Toronto. Basically the same trip in reverse. Which means I have to cancel all of our flights and book new ones. And push back our departure date (which isn't an issue since dd won't start work with the city until mid-June!). This will be exciting if it works out (still waiting for the manager to e-mail me back about booking). Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm going to apply for a Chase Freedom Unlimited. My mother has a CFU so I was going to use a link generated from her card, but it doesn't mention the 5% back on groceries. When I look at it from the Chase website (not using her link) it does mention the 5%. Am I missing something? I really want the 5% back on groceries, but would also love to get my mother some points in the process. Anyone know if you get the 5% on groceries when using a support link? Thanks!!

I'm going to apply for a Chase Freedom Unlimited. My mother has a CFU so I was going to use a link generated from her card, but it doesn't mention the 5% back on groceries. When I look at it from the Chase website (not using her link) it does mention the 5%. Am I missing something? I really want the 5% back on groceries, but would also love to get my mother some points in the process. Anyone know if you get the 5% on groceries when using a support link? Thanks!!
The support link should show the 5% groceries offer. That's odd that hers does not but I would NOT use a link unless it mentions the offer because you won't have a leg to stand on if you don't get it. To see how it shows it, check out a link from DISchurners that lists this offer - when you click on it you'll see this in the terms:

New! Earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.

Here's an image of it from a support link:

Last edited:
The support link should show the 5% groceries offer. That's odd that her's does not but I would NOT use a link unless it mentions the offer because you won't have a leg to stand on if you don't get it. To see how it shows it, check out a link from DISchurners that lists this offer - when you click on it you'll see this in the terms:

New! Earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (not including Target® or Walmart® purchases) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year.

Here's an image of it from a support link:

View attachment 521381

Ok, so of course now it's there. I swear it wasn't before or maybe I should blame my aging eyes. Thank you for pointing out where to look!

Ugh. Applied for chase freedom unlimited and got the we need to review message. When I call the status line it says the “status of your application is not yet available. Once your application is received please allow 30 days... “ something along those lines anyway. Anyone get that message before?
There was one part of the application I hesitated on. I’m mostly a stay-at-home mom, so my income is household income from DH. The application asked about source of income and had employed, unemployed, self-employed or other. I selected “other.” Was this a mistake?

Has anyone (other than me) stayed at Hyatt on points while registered for the 'get up to 25% of your points refunded' promo? It does say up to 6 to 8 weeks for your points to post.

I redeemed 60K, and I see 7500 deposited and I'm expecting a total of 15K refunded.

This Thursday, I am finally staying at a Hilton for the first time (alllll the other Hilton reservations I had made over the last year have been canceled- due to You-Know-What).

I was going to use the Hilton Biz to pay for the last night (the points I have only cover the first two) but even with the 12x points on Hilton stays, it's not like it's going to give me enough Hilton points to do anything with anyway (and I was going to close the card after this trip anyway since there is no point in continuing to pay the AF after this).

Other payment options are:
  • AMEX BBP
  • CSP
  • CIP

I have no MSRs to meet at this time so of those three, which would you use to pay?

And, as my one and only stay as a Hilton Honors Gold, are there any perks I should look/ask for? (Probably not but if there are, I know this group will know). I believe complimentary breakfast, such as it is, is included.

This Thursday, I am finally staying at a Hilton for the first time (alllll the other Hilton reservations I had made over the last year have been canceled- due to You-Know-What).

I was going to use the Hilton Biz to pay for the last night (the points I have only cover the first two) but even with the 12x points on Hilton stays, it's not like it's going to give me enough Hilton points to do anything with anyway (and I was going to close the card after this trip anyway since there is no point in continuing to pay the AF after this).

Other payment options are:
  • AMEX BBP
  • CSP
  • CIP

I have no MSRs to meet at this time so of those three, which would you use to pay?

And, as my one and only stay as a Hilton Honors Gold, are there any perks I should look/ask for? (Probably not but if there are, I know this group will know). I believe complimentary breakfast, such as it is, is included.
I would use the CIP since it gets 3x points on travel, the other 2 get 2x points

Has anyone (other than me) stayed at Hyatt on points while registered for the 'get up to 25% of your points refunded' promo? It does say up to 6 to 8 weeks for your points to post.

I redeemed 60K, and I see 7500 deposited and I'm expecting a total of 15K refunded.
I stayed at a sweet presidential suite for 16k in Rochester and got 4K back. So worked fine here. You don’t mention but 25% was only if you have the Hyatt card. I think it’s 15% for others. FYI. 12k for my suite was a deal. Have a 100k stay booked in Mexico this winter and wish this offer was still valid then as it would refund 25k for that.

Ugh. Applied for chase freedom unlimited and got the we need to review message. When I call the status line it says the “status of your application is not yet available. Once your application is received please allow 30 days... “ something along those lines anyway. Anyone get that message before?
There was one part of the application I hesitated on. I’m mostly a stay-at-home mom, so my income is household income from DH. The application asked about source of income and had employed, unemployed, self-employed or other. I selected “other.” Was this a mistake?

I am a SAHM and I use other as my income, that should not be a problem. 30 days is a standard message, usually means good things. Have you tried calling again? We just helped DFIL app for a CFU and his sat at 30 days for a few days then switched to 7-10, which is usually bad news. But we were able to call for verification and it was approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter