I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you begin having children, you will naturally do more kid activities and find yourself in the orbit of other parents. I bet you’ll meet some then!
I go to a women’s only gym with child care and there are tons of moms with little ones. I think that’ll be a good place for me to meet other people. I haven’t heard any of them with older kids say they homeschool.

I have a grammatical emergency and I know there are a few on here that are very good with this type of thing. I'm typing the dedication for dds yearbook and I can't decide if post-secondary is 1 word (like a Google search suggests), 2 words or hyphenated :sad2:.

Suggestions?

I have spent less than $150 on everything for this year and $80ish of that was registering with an umbrella school, which I chose to do to avoid state testing. If you removed that piece of it, you'd be under $100. My total costs also included basic school supplies that you'd buy anyways. ETA: And don't forget school fees...$75 this year for DS11 in public school.
Would you mind sharing what resources you’re using for your DS? I’m just curious where people like to get their curriculum from. Most of the curriculum I’m used to uses a lot of manipulatives (math) and for science it was always kits that came with supplies. I’m just wondering how you teach those subjects without buying a bunch of materials

I'm one of those parents. I think we had the hardest time in which to raise kids. There was no past to pull from on all of this internet stuff. We had to, and in many cases still do, figure out as we went. At least now I can look at how I handled it with my older two and apply it to my younger two as a base on which to parent. It's as much of a new frontier this time around.

You'd be surprised at the amount of homeschoolers that are former teachers. My final shove came from my DD1's second grade teacher who told me if she wasn't so connected to the other teachers, she'd homeschool her own kids. She only felt comfortable with them in the school because she knew the other teachers. I'm ever thankful she confided in me. I was in her classroom every single day volunteering.

Well as a single mom these days, we kinda need my teaching income, LOL. I'm sure lots of teachers are HSing if they can swing it. While my pay has gone backwards at times, and I pay WAY more for insurance, I do make some great money teaching here in MI ;)

I'm one of those parents. I think we had the hardest time in which to raise kids. There was no past to pull from on all of this internet stuff. We had to, and in many cases still do, figure out as we went. At least now I can look at how I handled it with my older two and apply it to my younger two as a base on which to parent. It's as much of a new frontier this time around.

You'd be surprised at the amount of homeschoolers that are former teachers. My final shove came from my DD1's second grade teacher who told me if she wasn't so connected to the other teachers, she'd homeschool her own kids. She only felt comfortable with them in the school because she knew the other teachers. I'm ever thankful she confided in me. I was in her classroom every single day volunteering.

Well as a single mom these days, we kinda need my teaching income, LOL. I'm sure lots of teachers are HSing if they can swing it. While my pay has gone backwards at times, and I pay WAY more for insurance, I do make some great money teaching here in MI ;)

I feel like a terrible millennial, but I think I added my "flair!" Is there a thread we could test it out on? I don't want to randomly clutter actual discussions 🤣

micro-manager.jpg

You don't have to be in Houston. We're in McKinney, for example.

The testing is necessary because that's how they get funding. So as a public 'home' school, it's understandable.
If you don't take the STAR then you can't enroll the next year.

Wow! I wonder if you used to homeschool w/ my sister wife, LOL. She started homeschooling in McKinney, then they moved and now she's in MS. We are complete opposites, but she's the mommy friend I can call and say my kids are a-holes and she'll chime right in w/ hers, LOL

In Tn, they don't check. Well, if you register with the district, I guess they'd get a good idea of it with state testing that is required in grades 5, 7, 9...but how good of an indicator is state testing anyways? Don't get me started on that. hahaha. Even registering with the district you just list your subjects and turn in attendance. You don't have to teach any specific thing.
If you register with an umbrella, each one has different requirements. Most just want a list of subjects, grade at end of the year (I'm not doing grades, just S and U until middle school) and attendance entered twice a year. Again, they don't care what you teach within reason. There is an entire movement for unschooling. Look that up. It isn't what I do, but it is out there.
My kiddo gets a lot more info in a lot less time. Today we headed to the ice rink for some open stick time at noon because we were finished with school for the day. He still fit in before we left: ELA, Spanish, typing, math facts practice, Math lesson, Culinary Arts, History, Reading Comprehension, reading his book of choice, critical thinking activity, and art. He wouldn't have completed half of that at school and would be doing homework now instead of heading to the pool.View attachment 435043
That’s a ton of stuff to get done before noon! I think I’m just so used to a school schedule but if I think about it, there were lots of times when kids had to just sit or read because they were done way before the others. Even with a kid struggling, if they’re getting one on one time they’re probably gonna get things done faster. I have tons of resources just from being a teacher so I think at least for elementary I could have a pretty good idea already

Do you teach the subjects, use online lessons, or ds does them on his own? Or a little of it all?

I’ve never heard of the umbrella stuff

Thank you! In Canada we type it hyphenated, but it's one of those words that is spelled differently in the US and I want to ensure that I spell it properly in the yearbook!

Right now, Dh sounds like he still wants to send our kids to public school. We still have so much time to talk about it and research. Even if they go to public school I could easily still supplement with stuff at home.

we have two motherload junior (wife and 10), a prof slim (that’s mine) and a prof slim jr (6).

I needed a cushioned laptop section as I work here and there when we travel (the only way I can travel ~100 days a year).

Mother-lode would not fit under seat. We have two Juniors and they just barely do. Because of that, they count as a personal item.
Although my wife almost always puts hers in overhead (if room). 10 year old doesn’t because she doesn’t need the leg room.

So technically when we fly it’s 2 Carry-ons; which are the “bigger carry-on” from Away. Note: we’ve never had to check them even flying Asian airlines. And 4 personal items. So we could still bring two more things.

Carry-on is easy for me w/ packing cubes and tight packing, even with my bigger clothes.
I end up carrying the “just in case” medicines: Laxative, Pepto, Tylenol, Dramamine, Benadryl, etc. Both adult and kids versions as well as the toiletries (we use this).
Kids are also fine as they just have their clothes in cubes. Shoes are the crux for them. They wear tennis shoes on plane and only have saltwater sandals which are necessities. Side note: If you have kids and you don’t have these shoes (or something similar), you’re missing out. Waterproof, go with anything, and dry out immediately. Even for my cheap self, spending $30 on toddler shoes is worth it.
My wife was the hard one originally, but she has gotten it down to a science. I’ll attach a couple pics. But take note that she’s a typical Texas girl- big hair and makeup always. So her makeup set is very small and specific for traveling. Likewise, she only brings black/white/grey bottoms and interchanges her tops for outfits, which can be colors or whites/greys. Everything can be worn with everything. She usually brings 1 pair of jeans and one sundress (or 2, if light). Her crux is the shoes, which I usually end up having one shoe or a pair in my carry-on.

Small dress:

Neutral bottoms:

We’re flying out tomorrow and packing tonight, so I’ll take a pic of our medicine bag, wife’s makeup and our toiletries if anyone cares.
It’s just an Orlando/Vero Beach/Bahamas trip, but I’ll post clothes too if anyone cares there either.
I’ll do the same for clothes for Peru next month as it will be more hiking and require a layer or two. So more complex than a simple beach/Orlando trip.
Do you and your wife both carry your own lay flat toiletry bag? I purchased one that DH, DS and I share but I feel like I have 2 of them and eventually DS12 will probably need his own with teenage products.

Do you and your wife both carry your own lay flat toiletry bag? I purchased one that DH, DS and I share but I feel like I have 2 of them and eventually DS12 will probably need his own with teenage products.
All in one. I’m sure that will change when my girls are older. This is our current load in the toiletry bag.image.png

If we run out of something, the hotels almost always have it.
Not really related and I forgot where I read this, but it’s funny. If you’re in a city and you can’t find what you’re looking for, think to yourself: “a million+ people can live in this city without that item. I’m sure I can to.” :)

Medicine and her makeup is separate.

Friday, I filed an extended warranty claim on my CSR for my sons Microsoft personalized controller that the stick foam grip peeled off of. It was exactly a year later and the controller only had a 6 month warranty. Today, they emailed that they approved and would be sending me a check! The CSR is really making its annual fee worth it this year!

Lots of discussion in the thread today-wanted to add from the discussion a few days ago that I love the option to transfer UR to Hyatt and Southwest. I typically beat the 1.5c/pt redemption with transferring UR. My current UR's are bookmarked for a luxury Hyatt redemption.

Just received my first packing cubes today, I hope they will be as useful as everyone else finds them. I'm hoping to start using them with my gym bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter