I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww...Golden Oak is right down the street!!!!! (I wish!)

You'll have a better idea once he has the interview, but I'm sure you will find somewhere to live.

Will you sub teach there or look for a full time if you end up going?
I think we will be close to starting a family and once that happens we’ve talked about me staying home. Dh and I both are on board with me being a stay at home mom. My teaching license actually expires this year in November so I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’d have to look at the process of changing my license to a Florida one

We looked at doc Phillips. It’s really nice but definitely on the pricier side. May be within your budget though. You could get on PT at Disney ;)
I see some houses that would be in our budget but their pushing our limit. Dh should get a big increase in salary though if we move (otherwise we won’t probably move). Does PT mean part time? If so, yes! lol

I can see your DH's point because we felt the same & were considering buying where we live now, but we never pulled the trigger & I have to say that buying would not have been the best decision. We loved the neighborhood, we were 20 minutes from Disney... but my fiance had a LONG commute to work every day & it was really not at all fun for him. The long commute initially seemed like a good idea because we didn't want to live in the craziness mid-city & we liked having our own space - but it turned out that we just went too far out of the way. So, we ended up buying into one of the "garden suburbs" which, while not cheap :scared1:, is really the best of both worlds - but we didn't initially realize that.

Additionally, the only properties available to buy in our old neighborhood were apartments & we didn't want to raise a family in an apartment, no matter how big or nice it was.
Yeah we won’t rent an apartment. It would be best to get one place and stay because we have cats and it’s hard to move with them but we would be okay renting if we aren’t finding the perfect house

I want to take a minute to say thank you to all of you. When I found this thread I was just looking for a way to accumulate some points so that my family could take another trip abroad without waiting 6-7 years to refill the bank of points we spent on our summer 2018 trip. Thanks to your encouragement, patience, and advice we have what we need for that next trip and it's booked for 2020, plus enough that I am hoping we can get to visit our DD this fall. If I hadn't found you all having this kind of flexibility to be able to add on an unexpected trip to Norway to visit my daughter wouldn't even be remotely possible. I think we still need more miles, and maybe some strategic advice since we will be looking for seats without a one-year lead this time, but I can't even begin to explain how amazing this is. So thank you from the bottom of my heart. :flower3:

I want to take a minute to say thank you to all of you. When I found this thread I was just looking for a way to accumulate some points so that my family could take another trip abroad without waiting 6-7 years to refill the bank of points we spent on our summer 2018 trip. Thanks to your encouragement, patience, and advice we have what we need for that next trip and it's booked for 2020, plus enough that I am hoping we can get to visit our DD this fall. If I hadn't found you all having this kind of flexibility to be able to add on an unexpected trip to Norway to visit my daughter wouldn't even be remotely possible. I think we still need more miles, and maybe some strategic advice since we will be looking for seats without a one-year lead this time, but I can't even begin to explain how amazing this is. So thank you from the bottom of my heart. :flower3:
Give yourself credit too!! There are a lot of people who stop by this thread or see something on reddit or a blog about points and think, eh - not worth it! YOU took the time to jump in here, YOU took the time to read & ask for advice, and YOU took action! I definitely appreciate how you thank all of the wonderful folks we have here, but also acknowledge that you did what 99%+ of people aren't willing to do, and that's learn and apply that knowledge of this game towards something that provided you a lot of happiness!

Lol that’s definitely a possibility. I’m sure we could live off the novelty of a pregnant drummer
My dh’s parents were in a band for 15’ish years. My MIL was the lead singer and she went through her pregnancy, with my dh, still performing every night. My dh is named after the bar they played in every night lol. Once he was born they kept playing and she’d leave him in a bassinet with the bartender! I dont recommend that but apparently they’d get a lot of celebs in ( this was in LA) and they’d all take turns holding him lol!

My dh’s parents were in a band for 15’ish years. My MIL was the lead singer and she went through her pregnancy, with my dh, still performing every night. My dh is named after the bar they played in every night lol. Once he was born they kept playing and she’d leave him in a bassinet with the bartender! I dont recommend that but apparently they’d get a lot of celebs in ( this was in LA) and they’d all take turns holding him lol!
That’s really cool!!!!!

I changed the nights on my Marriott travel certificate by 1 day and thought I'd escaped the screw ups a couple nights ago. LOL. Just took a better look at my reservation and Marriott account and I have 1 unattached travel certificate and a notice that I can pay for my stay now with my points or Marriott will automatically deduct 300,000 points 2 weeks before my stay. Every time I think, this is it, it's not that bad, I'm not really Bonvoyed... Marriott proves me wrong.

Dh just messaged me and said he got an in-person interview in Orlando! He’s so excited. I’ll probably embarrass him but he said he was shaking and might cry lol. I’m guessing this job really does mean more to him than I thought.

Do you guys know if there is a thread about moving to or living in Orlando? I know there are some bad areas and we would want to avoid those

If you check on the DIS Unplugged podcast, they've been doing a series of "if you are thinking of relocating here" podcasts where each time they choose one small town and talk about it. That might be fun to listen to. :)

I take the be SUPER nice approach. I rarely will resort to anger as I think I get a lot more sympathy if I sound like a very disappointed loyal customer. I did have both agents comment on how knowledgeable I was today though. I'm like "Yes I know my stuff, I've done my research", LOL!

I'm sitting here laughing trying to imagine you being super nice while speaking in falsetto. :rotfl:

I do this also - "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"... it's worked well for me so far!

I always start out that way, but lately it hasn't been working so well. CIP call was yet another one when I finally lost it and asked for the guy's manager, who was able to do what the first guy said was impossible. I try so hard, but then I just lose my patience. :faint:

Give yourself credit too!! There are a lot of people who stop by this thread or see something on reddit or a blog about points and think, eh - not worth it! YOU took the time to jump in here, YOU took the time to read & ask for advice, and YOU took action! I definitely appreciate how you thank all of the wonderful folks we have here, but also acknowledge that you did what 99%+ of people aren't willing to do, and that's learn and apply that knowledge of this game towards something that provided you a lot of happiness!

Aww, shucks. I still feel like a N00b here, and I still have so much to learn. And so many questions to ask. I'm just so grateful that this all might work out and we can actually visit our DD. I'm gonna miss her and don't want have a year go by without being able to see her.

It feels like it's been forever since I've contributed, but I didn't feel right posting about weather since I'm in Tampa :rolleyes1 I did get to visit Denver last month for our company's SKO, and did my second snow angel ever! Then proceeded to walk 4 blocks while it was snowing and 3 degrees. I've had enough cold for the year, this Florida girl was ready for heat and humidity!! :sunny:

We've hit MSR on P2's CIP (a month early by paying medical bills), and are ready for a new MSR!

Current Stats:

P1
08/18 - CHASE CIP
10/18 - CHASE CSP

P2
01/19 - CHASE CIP

The plan was to do the SW DD (Personal/Biz) this month for me for the CP, then refer P2 to CSP in June. We don't have immediate need for the CP or RRs (wouldn't need to fly SW until summer 2020 for DL trip), and have about 300K MRs we can use for flights to Utah in January (SW doesn't have direct flights into SLC). I mean, I could always find a way to use RRs though - it would be a great excuse for a trip!

Should I stick to the current plan? We will have another round of medical bills in April (my son has to congenital heart defects that require annual monitoring), so that would be an easy $3K to put towards an MSR during that time.

Thoughts?

If you are thinking of flying into SLC and don't have one of the Delta cards I would think about getting one of those. They have an increased sign up right now. Delta would be a lot easier to fly into SLC then SW. If you have an Amex you could self refer. Assuming of course you could use Amex for your medical bills and are willing to commit to the ongoing spend. (I am sorry about your son; medical problems are the worst).

I did apply the the Delta Gold Biz, and I'll have DH apply at the end of April. Any DP on buying a $50 Delta GC to get the statement credit?

A gift card should work. Just make sure you buy it through a desktop computer and not a mobile device and for just $50. If you buy it through a mobile device it will go through cashstar and probably not code correctly.

OMG from reddit ladies and gentlemen: it's the Bonvoyed website !

There are too many gems posted already. I added my own Bonvoyed story:

Marriott Rewards has really gone to sh*t since the merger -- you could say the rewards program has been Bonvoyed and guests are the ones paying for it.

Last year, while the Royal Hawaiian was still under Starwood, I booked a 5-night stay for my wife, daughter, and me to enjoy Christmas in Hawaii for 240,000 Marriott points, taxes were included, and I only had to cover a $188.50 "resort charge." Fair enough, and we had a great time.

This year, the Royal Hawaiian for same dates is still at 240,000 Marriott points, but now Marriott wants to charge my credit card a prepayment of $2,337.24 even though I have the points already to redeem in full, as well as a extra person fee of $775.00 for my 5 year old daughter (even though the room sleeps 4 and we're only 3 guests), $115.96 in taxes (which were previously covered by points), and a "resort fee" of $198.95 (surprise, it went up from last year!), for a total of $1,089.91 on top of 240,000 Marriott points. As outrageous as these fees are, why is Marriott going to charge my credit card $2,337.24 upfront, making me pay that amount in a month so that I can float them an interest free loan for the next 9 months, when the cash portion of my reservation is "only" $1,089.91?

I feel like I'm being Bonvoyed here, as in f***d over by Marriott and all their new prepayments and fees, so I called the Royal Hawaiian's reservation desk, where a very kind lady told me they don't charge extra person fees for keiki (children), as long as they fit in the room's max occupancy, because that wouldn't be right.

But surprise, surprise, Marriott is charging extra person fees for all their Waikiki hotels. Do these hotels even know this is how Marriott is treating their guests, or is Marriott just pocketing all these hundreds or thousands of dollars per reservation?

Bon voyage, Starwood. We miss you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter