I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she actually just wants the three of us to go on the flight. We weren't prepared to drive, we didn't plan it the right way, and it wouldn't be fair to put my girls in car seats for 40 hours (round trip) over the next 8 days. I think that's really her desire and I love her and want to respect her wishes this time. We'll somehow have a great trip without her :)

I have some experience with this, although in a somewhat more manageable form -- my husband has a terrible fear of heights, and will opt out of things like riding to the top of the empire state building. Before kids, I was pretty accommodating, meaning that I wouldn't go without him. But once we had kids, I had to figure out what was best for us as a family to do when dad didn't want to do something because of his phobia. I had several conversations with him in advance of situations that I anticipated would cause him to back out, and he was consistent in saying that he wanted the rest of us to go ahead and do whatever it was that he couldn't bring himself to do. This has only impacted us on a few occasions over the years, although it does continue to come up (a few years ago there was one hike he wouldn't go on in Taiwan because it was too high up). The way I have handled it, with DH's support, is to make as little fuss about it as possible with the kids. They know dad has a thing about heights, everyone has their issues and this is one of his. Looking back, it's possible I should I have tried harder to convince him to try to overcome this (apparently cognitive behavior therapies are pretty effective in treating phobias) and I don't know what I would have done if his phobia disrupted an entire vacation rather than just one piece of it. But based on my experience with my DH, I suspect that your wife really does want you and your kids to go even though she can't -- at least the has been my DH's position for the past 28 years.

I think she actually just wants the three of us to go on the flight. We weren't prepared to drive, we didn't plan it the right way, and it wouldn't be fair to put my girls in car seats for 40 hours (round trip) over the next 8 days. I think that's really her desire and I love her and want to respect her wishes this time. We'll somehow have a great trip without her :)
So sorry you are going through this at the last minute. I know it isn't what you planned, but I think it's nice of your wife to still wish for her family to have a fun vacation. Hopefully the next trip will be different and you will have a new plan on how you all can enjoy vacation by then.

Is there anything worse in churning than having 566,856 SW Points and a family that apparently can't fly anymore... :(

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this at the last minute. I suspect your wife was feeling anxious but didn't think she would feel unable to fly until now, when it's a bit late for you to drive. I've dealt with anxiety over the years and honestly wouldn't ever want that to stop my family from enjoying things and going places. I am a nervous wreck every single time my DD flies but I didn't let that stop her from going to college on the opposite coast or traveling with her friends. I do think your wife wants you to have a nice vacation with your girls and your family; I'm sorry it's not going to be the vacation you had planned. :grouphug:

@SouthFayetteFan you may not see this at this hour but what about amtrak? Looked up their schedule and its a full 20-25 hours depending on if you decide to do your side of the state to JAX or drive to the eastern side and go down, but could feel like more of a fun adventure? Amtrak could just be the way down too as you could think on flying or driving back via rental depending on how everyone was feeling. I think I read somewhere they have a point system but not sure if anything you have transfers. Time to sign up for the amtrak card to churn?! Haha Seriously though I’m sorry y’all are going through that. Anxiety can be so hard to work through and I know so frustrating for those on the periphery that are affected.

I thought I took screenshots the last time someone answered but I don’t see them saved.

I am ready to close my pnc acct. I transferred everything out. How do I close it online?

Have a safe trip @SouthFayetteFan and sorry you are having to deal with this last minute, but I absolutely think you are doing the right thing in going without her. I would do exactly the same in your position, especially for the kid's. I think it's good modeling for them :) It sounds as if your wife's fears are quite debilitating, and I'm assuming that since she has medications, she's seeing a doctor/psychiatrist about it--maybe he/she can give you some tips for next time? I had a mild fear of flying years ago, but in my case it was the kids who helped me through it. I absolutely didn't want to put any ideas in their heads about safety when they were young, and I didn't want to pass on any kind of fear to them, which helped me control it (aka hide it). But sounds as if she's beyond that :( The place is lovely and I hope you have a wonderful time. Take it from someone who has traveled solo/separately a lot--you can make great memories without mom or dad. My kids love alone time with my husband because he's a sucker for not-so-healthy food, LOL. Hugs to you all!

I thought I took screenshots the last time someone answered but I don’t see them saved.

I am ready to close my pnc acct. I transferred everything out. How do I close it online?
Looks like @wendow did it via chat...
Thanks! I actually finally found a chat option so I used that but I guess the transfer hadn't fully processed yet so I will have to chat back tomorrow.

Wow what a terrible night that has become... As many of you know, my wife has a fear of flying. She'd been managing it well all week but apparently today, this afternoon, when I got home from an enjoyable afternoon at parent's day at my daughter's golf camp, she decided this trip was the last straw. Planes make her ill and she isn't going. She was physically sick laying the bed...

She's said this on each of the last 2 trips and acted this way but ultimately ended up going. Major difference this time...she refused to pack. I packed for her but she has maintained she is not going. I'm so unbelievably sad and torn right now. I would drive but if that was the case I'd have left last night at 4pm... now I sit here at 11pm trying to figure out what to do. Jacksonville is 12 hours which we can do in one day. And we could be in Captiva by 10am Sunday then (and not really miss anything). My wife says I should just go and take the girls...but this incredibly sad to me because I work and churn for family vacations...not 75% of the family vacations.

I don't even know what the point of this comment is... I just skimmed the whole thread from today and sorry I didn't pass out my usual allotment of likes. I don't like much of anything right now. I'm sorry...just not really myself right now...very torn....
So sorry you and your wife are going through this.....it must be so difficult for both of you. Praying a solution is found for your family

Wow what a terrible night that has become... As many of you know, my wife has a fear of flying. She'd been managing it well all week but apparently today, this afternoon, when I got home from an enjoyable afternoon at parent's day at my daughter's golf camp, she decided this trip was the last straw. Planes make her ill and she isn't going. She was physically sick laying the bed...

She's said this on each of the last 2 trips and acted this way but ultimately ended up going. Major difference this time...she refused to pack. I packed for her but she has maintained she is not going. I'm so unbelievably sad and torn right now. I would drive but if that was the case I'd have left last night at 4pm... now I sit here at 11pm trying to figure out what to do. Jacksonville is 12 hours which we can do in one day. And we could be in Captiva by 10am Sunday then (and not really miss anything). My wife says I should just go and take the girls...but this incredibly sad to me because I work and churn for family vacations...not 75% of the family vacations.

I don't even know what the point of this comment is... I just skimmed the whole thread from today and sorry I didn't pass out my usual allotment of likes. I don't like much of anything right now. I'm sorry...just not really myself right now...very torn....

I had no idea. I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that when she gets up she may have a change of heart. Or that you decide to drive for this trip so you can still enjoy your family time together.

I applied for the exact same Citi card last week and got an approval letter like you (regular mail) today, with no credit card in it either. I thought it was odd too but figured I would wait a few days to see if one comes. The letter also gave me a pin number for cash advances and a few brochures. The letter didn't even say your credit card will be coming. Strange!

I guess we know that is the normal thing for citi now. I certainly thought it was strange too that’s why I posted right away.

I think that is the best thing at this point too. We are similar about driving like your family. Sometimes it takes just as much planning to drive as to fly. I don’t like driving on the highway so the last time we drove to Florida my DH did 90 percent of the driving and that was exhausting for him.

I just have no idea what to do. Part of me wanted to just pack up at 10pm when I finally gave in that this was official and start driving. But what do I do when I run out of energy at 4am and we have no hotel room. We could leave in the morning but do I really want to spend my day driving to Jacksonville...to wake up and drive 6 more hours then on Sunday. And of course, driving home would be tough too. But I don't want to leave her... Thanks for the kind words. I just cannot figure out what to do right now...and I'm not really in a coherent state of mind either, just sad, emotional, etc...
Hope you enjoy your trip whatever your family decides. As a mom, I can’t imagine skipping vacation with DS and DH so it must be hard on your wife to make that decision to tell you to go on the girls.

I know when I went on a girls trip to DisneyWorld, I spent lots of time FaceTiming with DS so he could join in on the fun from afar. He greatly appreciated still seeing the park through my eyes to feel included.

I feel redeemed. My app says this is resort. View. We are just over the front drive on the highest floor. To the right you can see ToT, RnR, Card blog, SWGE rocks, Fantasmic lighting. To the left you can see BW, the back of World Showcase/ some pavillion roofs, and farther out the Cirque bldg roof and the baloon at DS.

20190621_173208.jpg

20190621_173215.jpg

Giant Foods (Virginia) has 8x on all "Happy" GCs. Figure this is good, but what's the best move? Buy using a 5x grocery card, maybe $100 (which would be worth 80 cents per gallon discount). Then are these Happy GCs cards just used anywhere?

Anyone ever buy these Happy GCs? I'm wondering if I could use them to pay for Universal Studios AP? Or maybe restaurant of gas card, if not?

Anyone ever buy these Happy GCs? I'm wondering if I could use them to pay for Universal Studios AP? Or maybe restaurant of gas card, if not?

There’s a lot of discussion about how to use them over on the Disney Gift Card Deals thread. Basically, they run as a credit card only at the specific brands listed. I’m not sure about Universal Studios, but a lot of folks buy the Happy Guy card to use at Home Depot as “credit” (don’t run it as a gift card, because it’s not coded as a gift card and Home Depot doesn’t accept GC>GC anyway) to buy Disney GCs, or you could pick up a gas card.

The Happy Lady card works the same way at Bed Bath & Beyond, which also sells third-party GCs, but BB&B probably has a smaller GC selection than HD.

So sorry for what you’re going through, @SouthFayetteFan. That’s so tough, and I know it’s tough for your wife too because phobias simply aren’t rational. I’m sure it’s frustrating for her as well, but I’m sure she would want you and your daughters to have a wonderful vacation. I hope you are having a better morning and can look forward to a great trip! Even if your wife doesn’t go, maybe she can take some time for herself this week to do something she can enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter