I just got back last night and saw a stroller first...

RubySlippers

DIS Veteran
LOL... in the 25+ trips I have taken to WDW I have NEVER seen this before.... People LOCKING their stollers with bike locks!!!:scared1: They were chained to fences, poles and benches!!!:eek: Is this a new thing??
I saw several cast members trying to line up strollers outside of rides only to find them chained up. I asked one CM outside of the Crystal Palace how they handled this isssue and she said that they have cut some of them off if they were there a long time or created a "crowd flow" problem. Have anyone else noticed this?

Rubyprincess:

I plan on chaining my front wheels together so no one will take my stroller while at DLR in November. A few people have had theirs taken while there. More often than not, people will have items stolen from their stroller. It is just a precautionary measure.

I didn't see it last week, but I'm not surprised. We actually saw a couple of those $750 strollers when we were there. I'm sure people who spend that kind of money on a stroller want to keep them safe.

Thankfully my slings are portable, and don't require a bike chain.:goodvibes

i did see people chaining the wheels together. it made me chuckle a bit. but i did feel bad for the CM's. this one poor cm was outside ot its a small world and i saw her trying to manuevor a locked one. it was large and she was trying to pick it up to move it. poor thing.

Am I the only one who thinks it is incredibly rude and incosiderate of people to do that? After all, do they not realize they are causing an inconvenience to CM's who may need to move those strollers, only to find they can't, or can't without great difficulty? I can see how that can cause a lot more trouble for everyone due to one person's selfishness.

What happens when a CM tries to move one of those expensive strollers and ends up breaking it? Then I suppose the family will demand a free upgrade to GF RPC, free park tickets, pool hopping prvileges at the Poly, and so forth.

If you don't want your $750 stroller possibly stolen, don't take it to Disney. Don't want something stolen from your stroller? Leave it in your room, or take it with you when you go on an attraction.

Am I the only one who thinks it is incredibly rude and incosiderate of people to do that? After all, do they not realize they are causing an inconvenience to CM's who may need to move those strollers, only to find they can't, or can't without great difficulty? I can see how that can cause a lot more trouble for everyone due to one person's selfishness.

What happens when a CM tries to move one of those expensive strollers and ends up breaking it? Then I suppose the family will demand a free upgrade to GF RPC, free park tickets, pool hopping prvileges at the Poly, and so forth.

If you don't want your $750 stroller possibly stolen, don't take it to Disney. Don't want something stolen from your stroller? Leave it in your room, or take it with you when you go on an attraction.

I'm not sure what I feel about the fact that people are chaining their strollers.. ( as I have never been there as a parent ) but I think it's incredibly rude and inconsiderate that people will steal things from others strollers or the stroller itself. I mean how little conscience can you have to STEAL a CHILD'S stroller? kwim? I think the saddest part of this is that people feel its necessary. I'm not sure what we'd do if I had my stroller stolen. I will have an 18mo old and a 4 mo old when we go and if someone stole my stroller (which was only $300) it would definitely put a huge damper on my vacation.

It IS OK to chain the wheels together - if 2 front or 2 rear wheels are locked together, the CM can still tilt the stroller onto the 2 unlocked wheels and push it away.

It is VERY rude to chain the stroller to lightpoles or benches. I have not seen it much, but have seen strollers chained to benches in a way that prevents the bench from being used. I've also seen strollers chained to light poles or fences in ways that make people have to detour around them. That's not fair and is rude.

It's really a shame that strollers have gotten stolen in WDW (this happened to two different people I know - what a pain for them!). I am not surprised to hear that people are chaining their strollers now. Really, such a shame that it's come to this.

That's quite funny actually. I am one of those people who was rather paranoid that my two Macs would go missing at the parks, that I actually brought a bike lock with me on our trip! But frankly, it was a pain to lock them up and I never used it! I had planned on chaining the 2 strollers together (along the side, and not the wheels so that a CM could move them). There were so many strollers everywhere, nice ones, cheap ones, it was never a problem leaving them. I learned my lesson this trip and I won't be bringing that heavy duty bike lock with me next time! :lmao:

We brought a bike lock last winter. It wasn't to lock the stroller to anything as we always get
a double rental. However we did lock our backpack to the stroller. We don't keep anything valuable in the backpack ...well it is all valuable to us. Nothing that would interest deviants. Just favourite blankeys, extra bottles and liners, kids autograph books, water bottles and bits and bobs. Things that would be vacation disturbing if they walked off and we had to try and replace them. We have heard on this board of backpacks and such going missing off of strollers. We figure the deviants are looking for an easy snatch and having to drag along a big heavy double stroller isn't what they bargain for. That said, we also think someone might notice if they are tugging at our backpack suspiciously and drawing looks from others wouldn't be backpack snatching friendly.

It is the greatest place on earth but we still take this little precaution. :hippie:

I'm planning on locking the stroller (if I remember) But I'm also using it as a wheelchair so I won't have to leave it often.

I agree that locking it to something is rude and can become a hazard. Locking the wheels together so it still moves but can't be be stolen is ok.

That being said--when I leave my ecv I leave a big backpack on it and usually a little cooler in the basket. In ten years I have never had a problem with anything missing.

I have been on five trips with a stroller and never any problem! :cool1: The only thing we do is put a big bandanna on it so it is easier to find. We usually grab our backpack and take it with us, but I will admit to occasionally forgetting it. This year I am downsizing from a double to a single!

I agree that it is rude and inconsiderate to lock/chain a stroller to a fixed object.

I do not think it is rude to secure a stroller so it is more difficult to steal. I actually posted a thread asking how people secure their strollers so they are not stolen (or, more likely, mistaken as someone else's).

I am incredibly worried about my stroller. It is new and was expensive (for us). $300 may not seem like much to some people, but it is alot for my family. Hey, let's face it -- when trying to save for our Disney trip, I would be upset if my lesser expensive (gigantic) stroller was stolen. Actually, now that I think about it, I would be upset/angry if ANYTHING was stolen from me -- especially at Disney.

I am still trying to figure out the most hassle-free way to secure my stroller when at the parks. Maybe I am worried because the stroller is new or maybe because this is the first time I will ever have a stroller at Disney World. I just know that I would be heartbroken and angry if anything were to happen to it after all the time I spent researching and looking for the perfect stroller and then saving for it as well!

Here's hoping all my fears and worries and stressing are baseless!! :drinking1

lesson learned
make it so ridiclus(sp) that no one wants to be seen with it
and no one will take it!:grouphug:

Hmmm... That seems a little odd to me, but I think I'm probably more naive when it comes to being at Disney than most. We were just there about 2 weeks ago, and I didn't notice any chains or anything, and mine certainly wasn't, but I wasn't really looking for that either. It seems like it would be very time consuming and a huge pain to have to do that. I've been to WDW many times with strollers, and have never had a problem with anything being taken, just the occasional stroller move by a CM, but I've come to expect that.

We had ours (personal stroller) accidently taken, on our last trip. We were riding a ride, had our jackets in the bottom of the basket w/ popcorn and soda bottles in the cup holders. Got off the ride and it was GONE! I freaked out! Well we tracked down some employees in suits who helped look for it and it was at It's a Small World. What's funny is the stroller that was left there didn't even look like ours.

We had ours (personal stroller) accidently taken, on our last trip. We were riding a ride, had our jackets in the bottom of the basket w/ popcorn and soda bottles in the cup holders. Got off the ride and it was GONE! I freaked out! Well we tracked down some employees in suits who helped look for it and it was at It's a Small World. What's funny is the stroller that was left there didn't even look like ours.

most likely it wasnt taken at all. the CM's move the carriages. they dont just move the carriages around the same lot, they will move them to other lots. we found this happens in fantasy land no matter where we leave the stroller.so now we just leave it in the area by its a small world. too many times weve come out of philharmagic or peter pan and not found our stroller. its annoying, but it happens.

in fact when my brother worked for disney he said there were strollers left there every night. my guess, those are the people who thought their stroller was stolen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter