I had hoped to get to Cuba

Interesting. I wonder why nobody through that in the face of Disney CEO Bob Iger when he said on 05/29 that he had reservations on filming in the State of Georgia due to their state's laws. Seems like overwhelming hypocrisy when you look at China's record of human rights. Was he not around when Tiananmen Square went down?

I don't know and I don't really think this is the forum for it.

Disney has multiple parks in Communist China. They are not a shining beacon of human rights; where you can be detained, imprisoned or your property confiscated with no due process as well.

I agree DCL probably wasn't looking at Cuba but more from a 'we don't wanna try it right now' perspective.

And let's not even mention how hard Disney has fought $15 wage ordinances in Anaheim, or the wage increases in Orlando, if we want to talk shining beacons.

Disney was going to step very lightly with Cuba because with potential flip-flopping from a State Department policy perspective, the financial risks were high. It's a business decision, and, in all seriousness, not an especially poor one if you look at the impacts on other lines right now.

Lets not turn this into a political discussion.
The cruise lines always new this could happen.
They should have been more prepared for this.

My daughter was traveling to Cuba on Majesty (I think) in July with 2 of her friends. Inside cabin. They had two days in Cuba and one in Key West.
Now they have one in KW, one in Nassau, and one on Coco Cay (which I think would be cool). She also got half of her fare refunded. So all in all it's a pretty good deal unless you REALLY had a reason to see Cuba.

It's such a bummer. I had hoped to go to Cuba too and had hoped DCL might sail there with the new ships. But as we have seen regimes change and policies do too. May just need to wait this one out a few years and Cuba trips will be back on. I feel so bad for the Cuban people who were relying on the tourism income though, none of this is their fault.

You do realize that most any other country can visit Cuba, right? Canadians can hop on a plane from their country and be their in single flight. Mexico has ferries between their country and Cuba. Europeans can visit, etc. etc. It's just us Americans that can't go.

I did have this country on my list long before Obama's administration opened it up and now I'll have to figure out how to make it there someday.

You do realize that most any other country can visit Cuba, right? Canadians can hop on a plane from their country and be their in single flight. Mexico has ferries between their country and Cuba. Europeans can visit, etc. etc. It's just us Americans that can't go.

I did have this country on my list long before Obama's administration opened it up and now I'll have to figure out how to make it there someday.
Yes, but the cruise ships have to be a big loss even with other countries’ tourist income. It would have been an easy way to get there with kids too. It’s a shame.

Lets not turn this into a political discussion.
The cruise lines always new this could happen.
They should have been more prepared for this.

Totally agree. I'm not at all surprised at the change and I would have expected the cruise lines to have a backup plan. It's not unusual for ports to change anyway, due to weather and issues with the port itself (like Puerto Rico and so many others after the last hurricane.)

Just go through a laundering country first. It's not really an issue unless you hope to have a US security clearance. I know of people that have gone there on humanitarian/volunteer missions, without the permission of the US government.

In 2021, yes.
That is interesting to know.
When in 2021 does the travel ban expire? I might be interested in going.
It would be interesting to see how fast the cruise lines will return to Cuba or they wait a while.

That is interesting to know.
When in 2021 does the travel ban expire? I might be interested in going.
It would be interesting to see how fast the cruise lines will return to Cuba or they wait a while.

My guess is that is hopeful thinking that there will be a new administration which may be more amenable to the things the current one is rolling back every chance it gets.

Once again I had hoped politics would have stayed out of this.

I don't see that answer as "political". She didn't make any judgement statements on the current or future policies and administrations. It is governmental, which by nature, does involve politics. If that was political, then all talk of government policies needs to be banned from the boards, including the Jones Act.

Sorry yes, cancel for any reason. I assume many people purchase that level of coverage because, why wouldn't you?

Cancel for any reason is much more expensive then other coverage, approximately 10% of the cruise cost. It only covers 75% of non-refundable expenses not including the cost of the insurance. So even in this circumstance I don’t think I would use it.

The biggest problem with cancel for any reason is it must be purchased within 14 days of initial deposit. We often book years out knowing that the cruise lines will easily change our cruise dates and itinerary without penalty in order to take advantage of on-board booking incentives. However, unless you bought the insurance through the cruise line, the policy does not transfer with you. It is considered a new booking. Some insurance companies will allow a change in travel dates but you must contact them and request it.

So sad about this new policy. I guess people just have to visit Cuba in another mode of transport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter