I got lavaliered!!!

Soccer Princess

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=red>you would never
:cheer2: Finally! :cheer2:

He had ordered it on 1/30 but it didn't arrive in time for Valentine's Day like he had planned. He gave it to me last night while we were out to dinner. :love:

Now, I have to run to Hobby Lobby and get some candle-making supplies :) We have date party tomorrow night but I don't know whether to have my candlelight then or wait until after meeting on Sunday. If I do it tomorrow I don't have to keep a secret as long, but I know many people will be quite intoxicated and I want it to be special. Any thoughts?

Congratulations! Would you mind explaining to a clueless Brit what being lavaliered is? ;)

Sorry I didn't explain it. A lavaliere is a charm for a necklace with a sorority or fraternity letters. When a guy gives a girl a lavaliere, its big deal because they are giving up their hard-earned fraternity letters. It goes lavaliere, engaged, married. So a lavaliere is like a pre-engagment.

Usually when a girl gets lavaliered or engaged they keep it a secret until the candlelight. The girl and maybe one other person will make a candle, decorated with the sorority colors and usually pearls for us. The chapter stands in a circle and passes the candle around while we sing our song. The first time around is for friendship, the second is for lavaliere and the third is engagement. The girl who's candle it its blows it out and then everyone knows.

Hey, Mandy! Another Mandy from Louisville here!

I'm an ADPi alumna, but I'd suggest doing it at your meeting on Sunday if you can keep it a secret that long. Probably more of your sisters will be there than at the Date Party. Just butting in because I saw your post on the log-in. Congrats on your lavaliere! Wish I'd met my husband in undergraduate school rather that at UofL!

Oh, congratulations!

I would also do it on Sunday if you can hold out that long. In my chapter, your big or sis-mom will make your candle (or, more realistically, order one from the florist) for you, and we usually do candlelightings on Sunday before chapter, since everyone's in the house.

haha, chicks are funny. you guys make such a huge deal about it.

i lavaliered my girlfriend a few years ago. i don't know if it necessarily has anything to do with pre-engagement or anything like that... not to the guys at least. it's a big deal to the GUYS because it's symbolic of putting your girlfriend ahead of your house.

after i did it, the guys broke into my room at night and tied me up and messed with me pretty bad, it was hilarious. i wound up tied and duct-taped to this giant lantern out on our quad at about 2am, in my boxers and covered with all kinds of stuff. cops had to come untie me... embarassing hehe. i'll put up pictures if i rememeber.

Congratulations!!!
When I saw this post it took me right back to my candlelight at the beginning of the school year. I received a promise ring from my boyfriend. It was SO hard to keep it a secret and not be able to wear it. But as soon as the secret was out they couldn't get the ring off of me lol
Have fun with your candlelight.

Congratulations!!!

I would do it before your meeting. I know it sucks to keep it a secret for that long, but I think it would be more meaningful than to do it before a date party.

In my chapter (Kappa Alpha Theta), we did candle passings for lavaliers, pins, then engagements. I got engaged the first semester I was an alum, so I never had one. :(

I guess it's the techy-geek in me, but I saw the thread title and thought that you had been given a clip-on (lavalier) microphone.

^dude, it's the theatre techie in me too. I was wondering why someone is so excited over a mic

and you sorority and fraternity houses are weird.

Another geek here (as opposed to a Greek). There are some nice wireless microphones, so I could understand how someone could get all excited.

I am a Tri-Delt alumnea, from Canada Alpha chapter. And up here it is typically a sweetheart pin that is given instead of Iavaier. I would do it after the Sunday Meeting, that is when all of ours were done. After a date night too many sisters will be out of it and may not really be in the mood for a special ceremony. Congrats :lovestruc and enjoy!

Penny

teh fish said:
^dude, it's the theatre techie in me too. I was wondering why someone is so excited over a mic

and you sorority and fraternity houses are weird.
Hey watch it buddy.

I would try to keep it secret. I know it's hard, but it's so worth it!! Especially if no one will guess it's you. :) I had to keep my engagement secret for about a week. I almost blabbed a million times! Luckily my ring was being resized so i didn't have it to temp me to wear. I never did get lavaliered though... but maybe it's a good thing cause at my school people who do usually break up. :) I tell my fiance to keep his letters far away from me! ;) That's so wonderful for you!!! Enjoy it and tell us all about it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter