• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I don't know a word of Japanese! - A COMPLETED TR!

Looks like we're going to have to do the Suica/NEX pass, our flight arrives at 6:30am, and the first limo bus doesn't head to our hotel until 2:15pm... That's a long wait for the next bus :lmao:

You could take a limo bus to Shinjuku Station West Exit; from there, it's not far to the hotel. (no further than taking the train would be)

I *think* the suicaNEX pass will save us money. The only reason I was going to go with the bus is because it was going to be more convenient. If there's no difference in convenience, then the cheaper option is the way we'll go :goodvibes

Holy Dooley! I've just realised that after this week I only have 3 weeks of work left before holiday! :faint:

I took the week of the 9th off because we're going to Newcastle to see Flight of the Conchords :yay: Can't wait to see them! I don't need a week off to go see FOTC, but I booked that time off before we booked our holiday, and then just added more time to it :goodvibes

OK. To fill in time I'm going to do a quick back ground :flower3:

On this trip will be DH (29) and I (26) We've been married for just over a year now, and were lucky enough to be able to tie the knot while on holiday at WDW in March 2011

PH221780311-0043.jpg

My planning journal and TR for that trip is in my siggie below.

We made our first trip to DLR together in 2008 (TR also linked to below), and quickly followed it up with another one in 2009. We then saved our pennies for our 2011 trip so we could get married :bride:

After much discussion we decided that we should take our next holiday somewhere other then the states, and always thought Japan was a good idea, but could never really get the motivation to book it, especially while specials for WDW keep appearing in my inbox :laughing:

Then we managed to get the kick in the pants that we needed to go ahead and book our next holiday. And here we are! :woohoo:

I am a believer that everyone needs a good holiday every year. You need something to go to work for, and I feel that holidays are it. Especially while we're still young and DINKS we really should be taking every chance we get to get out and see the world.

A year? Congratulations!

Wow...seems like only .... last year :rolleyes:... when I was lurking on your Wedding PTR/TR.

And yes. Take all the opportunities you have to travel and see the world whilst you are young and DINKs. It will set the pattern of behaviour when you're older and TITCH's (two income, two children household)...you'll still travel. :thumbsup2

Well I did only *just* finish the TR a couple of months ago, so for those reading along it probably feels like it was just a little while ago :lmao:

We are planning on travelling when we have kids, but there are some places that I'd prefer to go before I have another human being to worry about. Like Japan - I don't want to have to try my first "eastern" style toilet while holding a baby :rotfl:, and I'd love to go to Egypt, but with the current climate I don't know if I'd want to take a kid there :confused3

I am a believer that everyone needs a good holiday every year. You need something to go to work for, and I feel that holidays are it. Especially while we're still young and DINKS we really should be taking every chance we get to get out and see the world.

Is it wrong that I believe you need more than 1 good holiday a year? :rotfl: Travel is my favorite thing and it's so addictive. I also believe that while my nieces are still kids (well, tweens and teens), I will borrow into my savings a bit if it means making some travel magic for them. But that's another topic. ;)

If the Narita Express goes straight to Shinjuku, it's probably more convenient; if you have to change trains at Tokyo Station, I'd take the bus.

Enjoying your pre-trip report so far. :) Love the photo!

If the Narita Express goes straight to Shinjuku, it's probably more convenient; if you have to change trains at Tokyo Station, I'd take the bus.

I believe that most NEX trains "split" at Tokyo Station, with one half going to Shinagawa and points south, and the other half going to Shinjuku. Checking the timetable (http://jreast-shinkansen-reservation.eki-net.com/pc/english/common/timetable/e_nex_u/index.html), it looks like there is a train to Shinjuku departing Narita at 7:44AM and roughly every half-hour thereafter.

Is it wrong that I believe you need more than 1 good holiday a year? :rotfl: Travel is my favorite thing and it's so addictive. I also believe that while my nieces are still kids (well, tweens and teens), I will borrow into my savings a bit if it means making some travel magic for them. But that's another topic. ;)

Enjoying your pre-trip report so far. :) Love the photo!

Thanks. :goodvibes

No I agree, more then one holiday is great, but I see budgeting at least one holiday in as a must. :beach:

I didn't think about having to transfer, I think I figured that Shinjuku is one of the busiest train stations in Tokyo, so I just assumed it would be a direct trip... Good thing these boards exist, or I would have gotten lost! :rotfl2:

Joining the PTR bandwagon! It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned.

I've stayed at the Century Southern and it is a wonderful hotel. THE VIEW IS FABULOUS!!! Yes, Shinjuku station is HUGE, but it has excellent signage and I believe all signs were in English. If you go out the door that connects to the pedestrian mall (near Krispy Kreme), turn left and you can't miss the station entrance. You can use the trains that passes through this platform to get just about anywhere in Tokyo.

If you want to see Mt. Fuji, I would suggest a trip out to Hakone. The train to Hakone leaves from Shinjuku station as well (different platform, though). Even if Mt. Fuji isn't visible the entire time you're in Tokyo, a trip to Hakone is still worth the effort!

Hope to read an update soon :)

That's a good idea - thanks for the suggestion :goodvibes

nothing to update, just watching the $ climb slowly against the ¥ :banana:

I'm jealous. It seems you're doing the trip I was hoping to be able to do (well....in a different month)!

Right now, I'm just trying to fit in a trip to Japan before we leave this hemisphere. DH was resistant. I finally convinced him, but now his boss is reluctant to give him the time off! He has 30 days of leave accumulated (a whole year's worth) so he definitely NEEDS a holiday!

Nikko ends up being about the same amount of travel time as to Kyoto, because the trains don't seem to be as fast. It costs less though, which is why I'm considering Nikko over Kyoto. Time AND budget constraints - eck!

If we do get to go on our trip, we'll be doing so a week or two before yours! Luckily, I've been tentatively planning this trip for over a year, but none of that has been learning Japanese, so I'll be in the same boat as you!

That sucks :headache: I hope he gets the time off.

Just checking the exchange rate, the AU$ is sitting at 80.1672 yen, which is really good, but unfortunately my bank is still only offering it at 75... :confused:

Man I hate that. They make enough money off the commission they take, why can't they sell and buy it at the price that it is?!? :mad:

Hey, just saw that you have Disney Land/Sea planned for the 20th of July. I hope I'm not impending on your plans here, but prepare for a VERY busy day at Disney that day. It's a national holiday that day, called "umi no hi", or, in English, Marine Day. It's the first day of summer in Japan, and all of the school children will be out of school (I believe, I haven't lived in Japan for years). So expect record crowds for summer that day. Not only Disney, but anything "teens" would want to do that day will be crowded...

charper

Seriously? Does that mean both the 16th and the 20th are holidays? :headache:

I wish we had more random holidays scattered throughout the year :rotfl:

Hey, just saw that you have Disney Land/Sea planned for the 20th of July. I hope I'm not impending on your plans here, but prepare for a VERY busy day at Disney that day. It's a national holiday that day, called "umi no hi", or, in English, Marine Day.

I don't think so. Marine Day used to be fixed on July 20th, but now it is the third Monday of July, which this year is July 16.

Oh thank goodness! I've pretty much planned everything around the monday being a holiday ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter