I can't believe the MK People Mover reopening might not happen until after the Christmas Holidays.

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
I can't believe the MK People Mover reopening might not happen until after the Christmas Holidays.

People Mover Refurbishment Further Extended By KTP Rebecca Davis - October 14, 2020

The PeopleMover in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom has been undergoing a lengthy refurbishment. That refurbishment has been extended.

Tomorrowland reopened in July without the fan-favorite PeopleMover. Unfortunately, the refurbishment schedule keeps getting longer.

Initially, the refurbishment was scheduled to last until later in the fall. The ride went from “unavailable” to “closed for refurbishment” a few weeks after Disney World reopened.

Then, the refurbishment was later revised to last through November. Turns out, fans of the PeopleMover will have to wait a little longer to ride again. Today, we learned that the PeopleMover will remain closed through the Christmas holiday.

Last edited:

The Peoplemover is a multi ride staple for my DD and I on every trip, so relaxing and generally just fun to check out the park from a different perspective. I was hoping for some pixie dust that it would be open by December but no dice. We are going Christmas week this year and will truly miss it.

THE REFURBISHMENT FOR PEOPLEMOVER WILL CONTINUE THROUGH JANUARY 2, 2021!

Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover Refurbishment Extended Again! KTP - Monica Street - October 19, 2020

Less than a week after the latest extension, we have learned that the PeopleMover refurbishment will be closed even longer. Find out the new date here.

Disney World reopened in July after being closed for almost 4 months. However, the fan favorite PeopleMover attraction did not open with the rest of the park.

At the end of July, the status of PeopleMover changed to temporarily unavailable. No dates were listed on the calendar either.

Initially, the refurbishment was scheduled to last until later in the fall. The ride went from “unavailable” to “closed for refurbishment” a few weeks after Disney World reopened.

We have heard that the reason for the refurbishment is due to the fact that the passover bridge for Tron supposedly comes too close to PeopleMover to allow operation while construction occurs.

Then, the refurbishment was later revised to last through November. Turns out, fans of the PeopleMover will have to wait a little longer to ride again.

The last update (just 5 days ago) showed a reopening date of Christmas Day. What would have been a great Christmas gift for many Guests visiting Disney World for the holiday season has just been delayed…again!

***********************************************************************************

Tomorrowland PeopleMover Refurbishment Extended into 2021 at Magic Kingdom - BM - October 19, 2020

What we originally hoped would be a months-long refurbishment is seemingly getting out of hand as the Tomorrowland PeopleMover refurbishment has now extended into 2021. According to the internal refurbishment calendar, the Tomorrowland PeopleMover will be closed through January 2, 2021.

According to our earlier reporting, Disney is working a full replacement of all of the magnetic linear induction motors along the 5400′ track. As you might remember, the attraction was having issues before the parks closed that led to some significant downtime. Reportedly, Disney was trying to replace the motors as they failed, but with lower crowds in the theme parks since they reopened in mid-July, they have opted for a full replacement.

Last edited:
Any chance that they will add something to the "dark" section in Space Mountain? That's like a solid 2 minutes of just... nothing. (Before the SM refurb 10 or so years ago, you could see the glowing coasters and the star-laden roof of the building. Now, nothing.)

Why not? I am surprised more attractions aren't closed during this time of reduced capacity .. more closed attractions that they can spend time to refurbish without really hurting their crowd control .. the better.

Plus they probably save a ton of money on not staffing the ride.

Disney really doesn't have any reason to open more attractions than they need to right now since they are capping capacity and aren't wanting to "draw" people there yet.

It's basically a signal that says "ya .. we probably won't be increasing our capacity until "at least" January.

Why not? I am surprised more attractions aren't closed during this time of reduced capacity .. more closed attractions that they can spend time to refurbish without really hurting their crowd control .. the better.

Plus they probably save a ton of money on not staffing the ride.

Disney really doesn't have any reason to open more attractions than they need to right now since they are capping capacity and aren't wanting to "draw" people there yet.

It's basically a signal that says "ya .. we probably won't be increasing our capacity until "at least" January.
The peoplemover usually has a staff of about 4 CMs. Not exactly breaking the bank to operate it. It’s more that the parts for this ride are extremely hard to come by.

The peoplemover usually has a staff of about 4 CMs. Not exactly breaking the bank to operate it. It’s more that the parts for this ride are extremely hard to come by.
Good point, though when you add in all the different shifts, I would assume it does add up. I get the feeling every larger company (Disney especially) are counting their pennies a lot more closely.

I look at it as a positive (not for the staff, for the park in general) to take the time to fix something since they weren't able to work on stuff during the actual closure.

IF Disney wants to spend the money -- what else can they refurb while they are open, but don't really need to disperse crowds? Country Bears? Tiki Room? Carousel of Progress? (I am actually surprised they opened theater attractions during this). Not great for the people planning on going in the next 6 months, but great for the future.

Very sad that the Peoplemover won't be opening until after our Christmas trip. It's always a "must do" and usually more than once.
Country Bears? Tiki Room? Carousel of Progress? (I am actually surprised they opened theater attractions during this).
I am too, but I'm glad because I love Country Bears and CoP. I can take or leave Tiki Room.

I don't understand why they can do the above and aren't doing Laugh Floor though?

I heard that they discovered a giant mechanical yeti deep in the infrastructure of the peoplemover. What a terrifying surpise that must have been for the engineer working on "routine maintenance". Explains the delay, and hopefully a repair is possible, because those pesky yeti somettimes cause irreperable damage!

Long live the TTA PeopleMover! The Wedway of old. It's popular for good reason. ::yes::

... Or, maybe, I'm biased! ;)...

Seriously, it's got the charm and history of the MK of old and it's still an appealing ride for all ages in 2020.

Let's hope it's up and running soon and continues on for many years yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!