I cannot believe the cost!

we only do Disney every 5 years or so. we have done Tokyo, DL and WDW. My goal is to hit Hong Kong someday.

so when we go we splurge although our AK CL trip is most likely a once in a lifetime event.. subsequent trips will almost certainly be moderates or Shades of Green.

and yes for the price of a ten day Disney trip I have done a pair of 7 day cruises in suites but I can drive to a cruise terminal so can avoid airfare.

I figure If I can pay for what I want without maxing out the credit card( we pay cash for all intents and purposes) and can still pay all my bills, I will pay it and will not justify the amount to anyone else nor defend why we choose to travel as we do.

This is EXACTLY how I feel! If I can afford, and I feel that *I'm* getting my money's worth, I don't really care whether someone else would pay it or not. Or whether someone else thinks it's too expensive or not.

To each his/her own.

I have a bit of shock over the cost of our 2014 trip vs what we paid in 2010. Granted, we are staying a day longer, trying WL instead of POFQ and have a new family member. But still, we are looking at more than double the cost. In 2010 we paid $1600 for 5 nights at POFQ for 2 adults, 1 kid, 1 child under 3 with DDP and base tickets. In 2012 we did 7 nights and that child under 3 was now 5. We still had 5 day base tickets and. DDP. It was $2500. Next year at rack rate to do WL with 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 infant for 6 nights $3400 without DDP ( so far I have no idea what discount will be offered but if we get room only, we will add DDP so it'll probably total out to roughly $3400 either way).

So yeah, there's some sticker shock. But we are still going. Because I can still justify it at that price. And obviously we are upgrading this year. If we decided that was too much, or we'd rather spend the money on other aspects, we could drop to a mod or value. But as a family of five now, this is our last chance to try WL before we'd have to get two rooms or a suite or rent points. Once baby turns three, I suspect we will only do POR.

I just took a trip to Iowa of all places that ended up costing almost $1500 so yeah, Disney isn't really that expensive when you look at it like that! :)

Like multiple people have mentioned, it really only matters whether you are getting value in your own opinion. No question that staying on site is expensive. We stayed offsite for the first time in February at WBC and LOVED it. The resort was beautiful, having a kitchen and separate bedrooms was wonderful, and we paid $699.00 for the entire week. Heck, that's the rack rate for one night at the Poly CL.

All that being said, there is just something about staying on the monorail for us. If we were given the choice between staying at a value and staying at WBC, we would take WBC every time, but for some reason, we are willing to pay more (tons more even with a military discount) to stay at the Poly or Contemporary. We are going back in October and staying at the Contemporary. We keep asking ourselves why we are willing to spend $1,500 more to stay there and can't really think of a concrete answer, but we agree that it is worth it to us.

Try booking through third party sites, like Priceline. We booked the Wilderness Lodge through priceline for $200 a night. :) You can still link your reservation to your My Disney Experience and get Magical Express, ect.

Is this on name your own price? Can you actually put in Walt Disney World Hotels as a choice? Whenever I go on priceline, it seems to be rack rate, unless it is name your own price, and then you have to pay in advance and you don't know where you would be staying.:confused3

Maybe it's because I'm new to the whole Disney vacation thing.....but I really thought we got great value for our money last summer!

August 2012, 2 adults, 3 kids (16, 14 & 11 at the time), 4 days, 3 nights at POLY, with free dining, cost us $2400.

We just booked for May 2014, kids will be 18, 16 & 13....so technically 3 adults. 7 days, 6 nights at POR and we are paying for the dining plan. $5400 this time. Twice the time, down a notch to a Mod, but we still think that's a pretty great deal.

DH and I were looking at a couples only resort in Jamaica for our 20th anniversary next June, but for actually less than it would have coat us, we're taking the kids to Disney. Now, we still have to add $ for the gas down and back, plus a few hotels for the drive, but still a great deal for us!

Having lived in Hawaii and Monterey, CA, I find Disney`s pricing to be dead on target with where all resort/destination areas are. You want to see craziness, look at price jumps on Hawaiian hotels between slow and busy season!

We priced a cruise for our trip next year and it was $1k more than a week at Disney at WL. Could I get a cheaper cruise, yes, but I wanted specific ports and not settle just to save... same with our upcoming Disney trip: we could stay value and save but we want to `splurge` for deluxe.

We also priced vacations to beach resorts and they were just as pricey not including entertainment (beach is only so time consuming). This is the first time we have started making treks to other theme parks now that oldest DD can ride coasters and I feel like it`s just as pricey for less quality - less immersive, fewer options, eh food.

*shrugs* the value of something is what YOU would pay for and obviously enough people feel they are getting their money`s worth or the prices would drop (supply/demand and all).

Is this on name your own price? Can you actually put in Walt Disney World Hotels as a choice? Whenever I go on priceline, it seems to be rack rate, unless it is name your own price, and then you have to pay in advance and you don't know where you would be staying.:confused3

No, we just put in "Disney World Hotels" in the search and an entire list came up. Not all the hotels were listed (and I can't remember which ones exactly because it was several months ago) but there were several. I know Animal Kingdom was included and Boardwalk was not (because those were the other hotels we considered). We are going in September (next week!!) and booked last spring, so I'm not sure if it's only for off season - but def worth a look!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!