I cannot believe the cost!

I won't even book a Disney Moderate for their pricing... They want WHAT for a room with exterior corridors, so so service etc... :rotfl2::rotfl2: After I pick myself up off the floor from the laughter I go find hotels that are more in line with reality. When a "moderate" costs more then the Swan/Dolphin, Hilton Bonnet Creek etc I know where Fantasyland really is..

Disney has an audience who will pay anything for "magic" but for me the "magic" has been replaced by the "rip off fairy" pixiedust: And really the only pixie dust she's giving is to Disney not to me. So I am either at the Swan/Doplhin or off site.
And no "free" dining or some "30% discount" don't help. After all Disney hotels are only 50 to 100 percent over priced so the discount doesn't get them in the realm of reality yet!
As a stockholder it's great that a lot of you are willing to overpay. As a guest I am not joining you!

That's cool. Do what works for you. For us, staying onsite is the single most trip enhancing thing we can do.

Plus things have changed -- attendance at WDW has gone up since the 1990s, *sigh*
Actually there's no longer a way to track this - they used to report attendance broken down by WDW, DL, Paris, etc.. WDW was trending down, then they changed how they reported earnings and lumped all park attendance together so no way to determine whether an upswing in DL attendance has offset a downswing at WDW, for example.
1) Rack rate is *always* outrageous, never book at rack rate
4) The recession is over, prices are up

Disney was raising prices across the board (tickets, food, rooms) on a 10% per annum rate at the height (or depth) of the recession when inflation was 0%, and although more recently the market has trended up and housing has gained thanks to artificially low interest rates on mortgages and a high % of cash investors (who may now be exiting that market) wages are still stagnating and the jobs outlook remains abysmal - so the recession isn't really over for a lot of people.
I liken it to the frog and the boiling pot of water. Put a frog into a boiling pot of water and he'll jump out immediately. Put a frog in a comfortable pot of water and slowly raise the temperature to boiling and the frog will stay put 'till he boils to death - we frequent Disney visitors are the frogs who hopped in when the water was comfortable and we haven't noticed Disney turning up the temperature. New potential visitors are the frogs who say - ouch, that water's pretty hot.

1) Rack rate is *always* outrageous, never book at rack rate ( I agree it is outrageous, but for some there is no option on going when rates are less)
2) Concierge is for people with no budget issues (I have always booked CL and budget is still an issue)
3) February 1 is the beginning of busy season, higher rates (Cannot disagree with this one).
4) The recession is over, prices are up (Depends on who you listen too and the area of the country you live in. With that though, incomes have not increased with inflation.)

So, why the surprise? Look on the bright side... You could probably get a great deal on a moderate, like 25% off, during January.

I will agree on looking on the bright side when it comes to WDW. While it is expensive so is just about any other vacation destination. ;)

We stayed CL this year and budget was still an issue for us. Perhaps not as much as for some, but we splurged to do CL and gave up other things to do so, like we decided as a couple we wouldn't exchange gifts for any holidays or birthdays all year long. And we only booked CL using a 35% AP discount as well as paying for it with Disney gift cards bought at Target with an extra 10% off using pharmacy rewards and the red card discount.

Rack rate CL would never have been in the cards for us.

I priced out our trip for the first week in Feb, and I cannot believe how expensive things have gotten! I remember, maybe, just 5 or so years ago when you could actually get a deal at Disney.
7 nights, DP and park hopper tix for 2 adults, 2 kids CL at WL was $6330!! Not including airfare. Yikes! :(

What is going on?! I'm a keeping my fingers crossed for a good discount at the WL.

compared to what I am looking at ( AKL, CL, just 2 adults) you are getting a deal.. so far I am looking at close to $6k for half the number of people and that includes the salute Heroes military deal

Not to overstep but I have to comment on all the negativity towards Disney's high prices. To me, there is no other place even remotely like Disney so I don't see how it can be compared to other trips. When I go to Disney I customize my trip to my current budget restraints and many times that means no deluxe! I have never even splurged on CL. Disney prices their resorts according to demand and I'm glad there are lots of options for everyone.

we only do Disney every 5 years or so. we have done Tokyo, DL and WDW. My goal is to hit Hong Kong someday.

so when we go we splurge although our AK CL trip is most likely a once in a lifetime event.. subsequent trips will almost certainly be moderates or Shades of Green.

and yes for the price of a ten day Disney trip I have done a pair of 7 day cruises in suites but I can drive to a cruise terminal so can avoid airfare.

I figure If I can pay for what I want without maxing out the credit card( we pay cash for all intents and purposes) and can still pay all my bills, I will pay it and will not justify the amount to anyone else nor defend why we choose to travel as we do.

The prices are so ridiculously high that we ALMOST booked at Universal.

However, we just got a good deal at the Swan/Dolphin which I love so I made ressies there for spring break. We used to book the dining plan, but not anymore, it doesn't really save much now.

The first time we went to WDW we stayed at Wilderness Lodge for $140 a night, and had the dining plan which included a ton of food and also included tip. Those were the days. :sick:

I am going to be honest, no matter what Disney is expensive. I am single mom and live on one income and 2 years ago I took the kids for the first time. We stayed on the Free Dining at CBR and I flew on Southwest for $49 each way from Providence to Orlando.I think the whole trip with hotel, dining, airfare and park hoppers was $2600. I saved and saved I also planned a year in advance.
We leave in 18 days and yet again I am eating on Disney Dining plan, staying at POR, just the regular 5 day tix with no park hopper, my flight this time was $89 each way, plus this time we are doing the Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom. So thats a grand total of $ 3100.

But I am not going to complain just being able to spend time with my kids at a place they love is worth it. They still talk about the trip we took two years ago and it was fun to share memories with my mom and my sister who also joined us. This trip my dad and his gf are coming so its going to fun.

M<y parents too me 4 times as a kid and I so appreicite more because I know how much they saved for us to go! :)
Enjoy everyone and remember to have fun

No one put a gun to your head or twists your arm to vacation at WDW... It's a personal choice... If you don't like the prices... Go somewhere else...

I can't see Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Vegas or Hawaii being any cheaper... It is what it is, at times there are discounts, value and regular seasons.... It's all a choice... Doesn't fall when you're able or want it....what can I say....

We've done 49 trips so far and have regretted none, 50 coming next month...we don't need deluxe, CL, dining plans or hoppers to have a great stay and time in WDW...I really can't see what the complaints are all about... It's your choice to go there..

We don't stay at deluxe or even mods, values only. We don't spend time in the room except to sleep and change and shower. We went this past February, non vacation week at all star sports. We did get free dining that is why we stayed there instead of our usual POP . Family of four one was two so a break there, but round trip air from portland maine, four day park hopper , photo pass plus and trip insurance we paid about $3200. Air fair was about $1400 of that, not disney's fault on that. So really about $1800 for five nights hotel, four day park hopper and photo plus and free meals I think that's pretty cheap. No matter where we went we would have paid for air fair unless we drove, but did want to stay close to home. Would have spent money on hotel, and entertainment , food was the only freebie but you have to pay for it anyway so really I find disney a good value. If you go at the right time and don't stay at a deluxe or mod you can stay pretty cheap. My friend said that because there is five of them they have to do a suite and it costs too much. Well I said you wanted three kids, you have to figure all that in. Lol! But for a family of four or less values all the way!!! Just can't justify the other resorts prices. Would love to be on be monorail line for ease of travel but won't spend the money.

we only do Disney every 5 years or so. we have done Tokyo, DL and WDW. My goal is to hit Hong Kong someday.

so when we go we splurge although our AK CL trip is most likely a once in a lifetime event.. subsequent trips will almost certainly be moderates or Shades of Green.

and yes for the price of a ten day Disney trip I have done a pair of 7 day cruises in suites but I can drive to a cruise terminal so can avoid airfare.

I figure If I can pay for what I want without maxing out the credit card( we pay cash for all intents and purposes) and can still pay all my bills, I will pay it and will not justify the amount to anyone else nor defend why we choose to travel as we do.

I feel the same way you do. I took a cruise last year and remember when I got off the ship i felt I got ripped off could of went to Disney with my kids for the same price. I will not justify it to anyone. I dont need to stay in a Deluxe resort to have fun. i pay for what I can afford. I am very happy with Disney so far. So Excited to leave in 18 days :)

:rotfl2:
or you could be a guest a Coronado Springs where I was told that having no power was not really an issue was it?

If this is your "defense" of Disney pricing it's WEAK!

Me, I can do cruises, Europe, All Inclusives etc for less then a Disney Deluxe. And if the only defense you have of Disney is this, not much of a defense is it??:lmao:

They were making a joke. :thumbsup2 Now then, if you want to talk WEAK (as you put it :)) then maybe it is weak to be on a this chat board when you should be on a cruise, Europe or all inclusive chat board. But no, we all have to hear the price argument again and again. Yippee! pirate:

Disney has always been expensive but it is all relative to supply and demand. If the parks weren't busting, the hotels full or the restaurants booked, they would have to come down on their prices. Seems to me, and any econonmist living, that there is demand for what Dis is charging. :dance3:

What was Gas priced back when people got WL for $180
What was Milk priced back when people got WL for $180

Heck, back then a Hampton was $49- $59 a night. Now they are $109. And that is in Effingham Illinois! :eek:

and don't get me started about the price of your mobile phone then vs. NOW......Holy Cow!

Actually there's no longer a way to track this - they used to report attendance broken down by WDW, DL, Paris, etc..

The Themed Entertainment Association puts out numbers broken down by park; 2007-2012 are available online. Mid-1990s, adding all parks together gets an attendance of about 35 million. Animal Kingdom wasn't open yet -- it opened 1998. In 2012, attendance was 48 million. That is a lot more people competing for places to stay. Disney's built more resorts, but not nearly enough to house another ten million!

To me, there is no other place even remotely like Disney so I don't see how it can be compared to other trips.

I'm not surprised when people are frustrated when Disney's prices go up high enough they start feeling the pinch and feeling forced to look into other options; same thing happens when beach towns become more popular. And heaven knows it's a lot easier to find a new and cheaper beach resort area than it is to find another WDW! It's never any fun being forced out of your comfort zone, especially when it comes to vacations. :sad1:

OTOH I know people who felt forced out of staying at WDW by the rising prices who ended up finding a great fit offsite at a price that worked better for them; others discovered that the value resorts weren't so bad and that the kids liked them better than the deluxe anyhow. :upsidedow Hope it works out as well for everyone here feeling sticker shock. :goodvibes

Try booking through third party sites, like Priceline. We booked the Wilderness Lodge through priceline for $200 a night. :) You can still link your reservation to your My Disney Experience and get Magical Express, ect.

I miss the $49 All Star Resorts or $89 Moderate Resorts. And the airfare were cheap. I remember those great times! I will never ever see those prices again, that's for sure!

While everyone is remembering when Disney was this and prices were that -- I used to have hair on my head and not on my back!!!!!!!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Seriously, prices change -- I love every Disney vacation because once in the World, it's not corporate restructurings, my mom isn't in hospice, Syria isn't using chemical weapons.

It's a vacation, not a bargain war!!

Tom

Just out of curiosity, what is included in CL? What is the big attraction - I am being sincere, I have no clue. Not that we'd do it just curious.

Oct. will only be our 2nd time going to WDW and we are going b/c of free dining during my DDs fall break. We are staying at a moderate resort this time, last time stayed at POP and we loved it. Only reason we moved up a level was to get free dining.

IMO Disney deluxe resort prices are ridiculous for what you get and unless you plan to spend a lot of time in your room and at the resort and not in the parks, I don't see the point. We loved the Poly and have been to Hawaii several times (same price as Disney! with air!) and loved that it captured that culture and look & feel, so l looked into staying there but at $500+ per night for a standard room, no way!!! A $500 room in a big city is a NICE room at a very, very nice hotel - IMO very different than a deluxe Disney resort. We had friends stay at Poly last year and told us the rooms were not that big, not updated and not worth the price; another friend said the same for AKL. I guess it all depends on what is important to you - for us, we'll only be in the room for sleeping, changing and showering, maybe to use the pool one afternoon. The rest of the trip is for the parks. So a pricey room is useless for us - POP was clean and fine last year for our needs. This time it will be POR and the only reason we chose it was for the free dining. We are going for under $2K for 2 adults, one child. Probably driving. I think that's a pretty good deal b/c we'll save so much for cost of food. But if I am going to pay the equivalent of Disney deluxe hotel prices, then I will go back to the real Hawaii for the same price!

No one put a gun to your head or twists your arm to vacation at WDW... It's a personal choice... If you don't like the prices... Go somewhere else...

I can't see Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, Vegas or Hawaii being any cheaper... It is what it is, at times there are discounts, value and regular seasons.... It's all a choice... Doesn't fall when you're able or want it....what can I say....

We've done 49 trips so far and have regretted none, 50 coming next month...we don't need deluxe, CL, dining plans or hoppers to have a great stay and time in WDW...I really can't see what the complaints are all about... It's your choice to go there..

:thumbsup2 I remember back in 2004 we paid almost $200 a night to stay in a clean but really old motel with a tiny pool one block away from the beach at Ocean City, Md . Any decent room at a chain hotel will easily set you back $400 and up at any coastal beach destination during the summer season. We have been to Virginia, OC, Myrtle, etc. Even Lake George, NY has become crazy with their hotel prices.

Trust me, our room at Music last month at only $90/night with the summer discount seemed like a freebie to us. During our drive down we stayed at a Days Inn in Kingsdale, GA and that was $60.

I love deluxe or I go all the way down to value...just depends on if I want to spend more or less on the trip! And CL was great, but now DH and I go down to the lobby or have groceries delivered to include the beer/wine/chips/dips. Saves a ton and we don't have to sit with a bunch of people we don't know!

But that's just what works for us. We try to stay in the kind of room we want (within reason) but create the experience in a slightly different way.

And I'm so cheap that I'd even consider buying one AP so I could get the discount if that helped bring the cost down more than the expense. Or AAA. Or some discount. But I'm the kind of person who hates to pay full price. I'm willing to shop around to bring down the costs but not everyone has the time/energy for that.

Trade-offs! But do agree with the other posters that rack rates are now getting so expensive that people will have to get even more creative in how they do Disney. It's only going to be the truly wealthy who can afford the trips of yore.
:eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter