I cannot believe the cost!

It depends on how you want to stay. I'm perfectly content staying at a value and eating bare-minium because I'm happy to be at Disney World. For others, resort and food are huge, and they will pay for it. The prices aren't all that shocking to me. They're an annoyance, sure, but we should be grateful we all have the means to at least go to Disney in some degree. Others won't ever have that opportunity.

:thumbsup2 We are a value and oop dining family as well and we do not really find Disney more expensive than say a beach vacation at Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach. It all depends on your wants and so the price goes up from there.

I priced out for the op 7 nights at a value (Music) with park hoppers and the DDP for 2 adults 2 kids the first week of Feb. The only thing that changed was the level of resort. Final price $3345. That is almost a $3000 difference to stay deluxe club level. That is a huge chunk of change (almost another vacation) so it all comes down to how you like to vacation, but thank goodness Disney offers more affordable options for people.
Hoping for a good discount for you OP!:)

I remember the deal we first got after 9-11. They were begging people to come. We paid 1700.00 week at All Star for 2 adults and 3 kids w park hopper. I checked on making another trip in Jan. 2014 for 5 days and it was 1600.00 at All Star w park hopper. If I could walk to Disney I would. lol Also, airfare has jumped the last year too.

I think Disney is expensive. I used to think it was more expensive, until researching some other vacation possibilities. An all-inclusive carribbean resort will cost as much as $400 per person per day and up, not including airfare. I priced 5 days in San Diego, and hotel and airfare alone was over $3,000. So I think it is all relative, when you look at all your doing for what you pay.

:thumbsup2 We are a value and oop dining family as well and we do not really find Disney more expensive than say a beach vacation at Virginia Beach or Myrtle Beach. It all depends on your wants and so the price goes up from there.

I priced out for the op 7 nights at a value (Music) with park hoppers and the DDP for 2 adults 2 kids the first week of Feb. The only thing that changed was the level of resort. Final price $3345. That is almost a $3000 difference to stay deluxe club level. That is a huge chunk of change (almost another vacation) so it all comes down to how you like to vacation, but thank goodness Disney offers more affordable options for people.
Hoping for a good discount for you OP!:)
Really!? I'm going to see if I can price it out too....somehow,I think It will be a lot higher than what you got.:confused3

Priced out 7 nites ASMU,6 day hoppers,DDP for 2 adults,2 children(1 is 10),comes out to be $3600;Changed 10 y/o to 9,comes out to be $3302,so it seems that you are absolutely correct!;)

Really!? I'm going to see if I can price it out too....somehow,I think It will be a lot higher than what you got.:confused3

I just read your post and re-priced it just to make sure. Yes, it still gives me $3345, that is using the Disney web-site. Why do you sound so surprised?
Do you care to give us the quote you got?:confused3

Edited....just saw your update. I know the price difference is so huge that you think that it cannot be correct but alas, the value of a value!

Personally I can't understand how anyone can afford CL. The difference is significant!

So I think it is all relative, when you look at all your doing for what you pay.

That's how we feel about the parks. They cost a lot more than what we normally do on vacation, but they offer a lot more, too, so the price is pretty easy to justify. When it comes to the resorts, different story -- we'd get much less of a room or condo for a much higher price. However we wouldn't use the onsite transportation or ME, and we're not crazy about the way the dining plan is set up so generally wouldn't sign up for that, either; those are serious perks for people who like to use them.

The last two times we visited, it would have cost four times as much to stay onsite, in a smaller villa than the ones we actually had. I am willing to pay a premium for onsite magic, but we had a great time those two trips, and it seems really unlikely that we would have enjoyed ourselves four times as much if we'd stayed onsite.

Mind you, I'm still considering onsite for our next trip, when we may be traveling with fewer kids so the size difference will be less pertinent. Vacation choices are never completely rational, nor entirely ruled by finances, I'm thinking. Or maybe I'm just particularly irrational when it comes to Disney. :rolleyes:

The rising costs are the reason we've passed on Disney the past two years. I can go on two 5 nights cruises for the price of one disney vacation. :furious:

Disney has really been cranking up the resort prices big time in the last 2-3 years. In fall 2008, on a 40% discount, we paid about $300 per night for a room in the GF main building club level. That same room, on a 35% discount, is now around $600 per night for the same off-season time frame.

That's a 100% increase in 5 years -- way higher than any increase in line with inflation (inflation essentially has been close to zero since the 2008 financial crisis).

Ticket prices have also increased more than inflation (although Disney offsets those increases somewhat for purchasers of multi-day tickets by front-loading the pass price in the first couple of days).

Finally, we get to the new Fantasyland and find that the biggest new "attraction" is really something designed to pull even more money from our pockets -- a huge special effects restaurant the price for which is not included in the astronomical cost of the pass. We've done dinner at Be Our Guest, and have absolutely no reason to ever (I mean ever) do it again. And, unless Disney starts adding real value in return for the constant and excessive resort and ticket price increases, we'll soon be saying that about the entire WDW experience.

For years, I've been resigned to the fact that WDW is expensive, but I am now getting truly price weary, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

And, I second what grassmower said -- a cruise is a far better value than a Disney vacation these days!

I remember the deal we first got after 9-11. They were begging people to come. We paid 1700.00 week at All Star for 2 adults and 3 kids w park hopper. I checked on making another trip in Jan. 2014 for 5 days and it was 1600.00 at All Star w park hopper. If I could walk to Disney I would. lol Also, airfare has jumped the last year too.

After 9/11 they also had to shut down an entire resort (POFQ) until Disney guests got used to the idea of flying again.

Speaking of which, airfare has increased even more and faster than the resort rooms.

Oh, I don't know. We just got back from a week and for what we got, especially considering the free dining and low crowd levels, it was a heck of a deal. There's nowhere else we could have that much fun in such a short period of time. Of course, we did stay Mod.

Have fun on those cruises.....Until it breaks down and your waiting in line for a bologna sandwich and the person next to you is going to the bathroom in a bucket.

Have fun on those cruises.....Until it breaks down and your waiting in line for a bologna sandwich and the person next to you is going to the bathroom in a bucket.
:rotfl2:
or you could be a guest a Coronado Springs where I was told that having no power was not really an issue was it?

If this is your "defense" of Disney pricing it's WEAK!

Me, I can do cruises, Europe, All Inclusives etc for less then a Disney Deluxe. And if the only defense you have of Disney is this, not much of a defense is it??:lmao:

I find it hard to sympathize with anyone booking CL at a deluxe. Yes, prices have increased significantly, but maybe people were also reaching a little beyond their means in the past, and Disney (correctly) assumed people would decide they had to have certain amenities and would keep paying for them even at higher costs.

I find it hard to sympathize with anyone booking CL at a deluxe. Yes, prices have increased significantly, but maybe people were also reaching a little beyond their means in the past, and Disney (correctly) assumed people would decide they had to have certain amenities and would keep paying for them even at higher costs.

I won't even book a Disney Moderate for their pricing... They want WHAT for a room with exterior corridors, so so service etc... :rotfl2::rotfl2: After I pick myself up off the floor from the laughter I go find hotels that are more in line with reality. When a "moderate" costs more then the Swan/Dolphin, Hilton Bonnet Creek etc I know where Fantasyland really is..

Disney has an audience who will pay anything for "magic" but for me the "magic" has been replaced by the "rip off fairy" pixiedust: And really the only pixie dust she's giving is to Disney not to me. So I am either at the Swan/Doplhin or off site.
And no "free" dining or some "30% discount" don't help. After all Disney hotels are only 50 to 100 percent over priced so the discount doesn't get them in the realm of reality yet!
As a stockholder it's great that a lot of you are willing to overpay. As a guest I am not joining you!

I went to WDW shortly after 9/11 too. It was not a planned trip. The deal was too much to pass by and I'm so glad we went. There'll probably never be as great as deals as there were like those.

It depends on how you want to stay. I'm perfectly content staying at a value and eating bare-minium because I'm happy to be at Disney World. For others, resort and food are huge, and they will pay for it. The prices aren't all that shocking to me. They're an annoyance, sure, but we should be grateful we all have the means to at least go to Disney in some degree. Others won't ever have that opportunity.

Absolutely agree. I am happy, just to go. :cool1:

If you cruise Carnival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter