i agree with Pete, but i guess i should thank disney regardless...

I get your upset but it's been there since 2003 the over the topness of the post is a bit much.

Let's actually see the show first before we claim Disney has ruin our vacations.

I personally think wishes WITH an enhanced projection show would be amazing. I imagine the genie sections would be so stunning with it...again I'd like to see the new show first

I get your upset but it's been there since 2003 the over the topness of the post is a bit much.

Let's actually see the show first before we claim Disney has ruin our vacations.

I personally think wishes WITH an enhanced projection show would be amazing. I imagine the genie sections would be so stunning with it...again I'd like to see the new show first

nowhere did she claim Disney has ruined her vacation...just sad our favorite thing is being canceled, especially since it's being replaced by a technology she doesn't much enjoy. Projection technology isn't a huge deal...we have a big yearly projection festival here which has shows at the same caliber as those I've seen at Disney parks...and while you can rightfully say that fireworks aren't such a big deal either I've never seen them put to music the way Disney does it.

I'm definitely going with an open mind and heart, excited about all the new things and hoping to love the new show. At the same time, I'm sad we won't get to see Wishes again and I question the necessity of this change.

I am very sorry that you will not get to see Wishes again - While I greatly enjoy all of the night-time shows that is the one that gets me in the "feels" the most - I often joke that were I to get a Disney related tattoo "See what a little wishing can do" would be part of it

Our last trip we spent an entire day at DHS and didn't get to everything we wanted - so I still don't get the "it's just 1/2 a park" .... and DHS is an example of Disney replacing less popular things with brand new attractions and spending billions of dollars to do it ;)

Hahahaha...that's so funny, I had the same thoughts about the tattoo. We'd be twins :)

I'm glad to read about your day at HS. When I was there with DH two years ago we actually struggled to find something to do...and since then they have fired Mulch, Sweat and Sheers - and we went to each and every show they had on our HS day - and they fired many of the streetmosphere actors, who are also a huge part of that park for us. Seems like all that's left there now is pretty much a whole lot of Star Wars...so if you're not a fan there's not much else to do. Again, going in with an open mind and I'm sure we'll have a great time, but I can't help but question why a park with so much construction would cut down on entertainment instead of beef up the entertainment ( none Star Wars related entertainment...)

i didn't say it was going to ruin our vacation...
i said exactly the opposite - disney has removed the one thing i was stressing over....
i was not being sarcastic....
it was a great stress on my planning and now it's not..

why was it a stress?
we all love wishes...
i wanted to ensure that we saw it at least once during our visit...
but how to get our group (of 3 families, including two very young toddlers) to Wishes....so many factors involved with getting to see wishes, and even if you manage to have everyone awake and there - you may get rained out (a distinct possibility in the summer)...

so with all those factors, i was totally stressing about seeing something that is so loved by everyone in the group (other than the two toddlers who have never seen it and who knows, might have been frightened by the noise)..

so again, disney has removed this stress from me..

now i don't have to worry about anything...that was the only must do for me...
now there are none...
if we make it to the new thing, great....if we love it, all the better...if we don't, well, it won't be the first time we haven't liked a replacement ....

at least there is a replacement....unlike the missing parades....( as in "i don't want to work, i just want to bang on the drum all day" and now get up out of your chairs and dance around the room)

Hahahaha...that's so funny, I had the same thoughts about the tattoo. We'd be twins :)

I'm glad to read about your day at HS. When I was there with DH two years ago we actually struggled to find something to do...and since then they have fired Mulch, Sweat and Sheers - and we went to each and every show they had on our HS day - and they fired many of the streetmosphere actors, who are also a huge part of that park for us. Seems like all that's left there now is pretty much a whole lot of Star Wars...so if you're not a fan there's not much else to do. Again, going in with an open mind and I'm sure we'll have a great time, but I can't help but question why a park with so much construction would cut down on entertainment instead of beef up the entertainment ( none Star Wars related entertainment...)

I do hate when they get rid of things like mulch, sweat, and shears - I know they had big fans. The Citizens of Hollywood it was only a few that got let go and then some got brought back (i think it was more a contract thing) so they definitely still have tons of performances out.

They have added a number of things, but must are Star Wars related, and so I definitely agree if you aren't into Star Wars then it probably seems like not a ton at DHS (we also have young kids so spent time meeting the Disney Jr characters, etc. - again if you don't have kids, probably not a draw). Obviously Star Wars is a draw to a number of people but also obviously not everyone

In my honest opinion, if Disney had announced that they'd be bringing Paint the Night to replace the Main Street Electrical Parade, I think it would have softened the blow of replacing Wishes! - and at least appeasing Disney fans in the sense that they'd know they're not getting an unknown value of entertainment and something to look forward to, and Pete's economics rant and fear of a sub-par product just echoes this concern. I realize it's "just fireworks", but Disney's track record of replacing attractions at Magic Kingdom 1:1 always causes a raucous.

Snow White's Scary Adventures - Princess Fairytale Hall
Magic Journeys - Legend of the Lion King - Mickey's PhilharMagic
If you had wings - Buzz Lightyear
Alien Encounter - Stitch
Timekeeper - Monsters, Inc LF
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - TMAo Winne the Pooh
Toon Town - Storybook Circus

In my honest opinion, if Disney had announced that they'd be bringing Paint the Night to replace the Main Street Electrical Parade, I think it would have softened the blow of replacing Wishes! - and at least appeasing Disney fans in the sense that they'd know they're not getting an unknown value of entertainment and something to look forward to, and Pete's economics rant and fear of a sub-par product just echoes this concern. I realize it's "just fireworks", but Disney's track record of replacing attractions at Magic Kingdom 1:1 always causes a raucous.

Snow White's Scary Adventures - Princess Fairytale Hall
Magic Journeys - Legend of the Lion King - Mickey's PhilharMagic
If you had wings - Buzz Lightyear
Alien Encounter - Stitch
Timekeeper - Monsters, Inc LF
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - TMAo Winne the Pooh
Toon Town - Storybook Circus
How's the foot coming along, @MikeTaylor? Thinking about/pulling for you, pixie dust and healing light being sent your way every day!!

I wonder when the "tipping point" as Pete says will be reached.

While Pandora is opening later this year .. DHS will continue to be half a park (and you'd think more will close before new things open) and Epcot seems to be just SLOWLY getting ready for a major refurb too with how they just let spaces lie empty.

But with getting less (no replacement for Electrical Parade) and increased ticket prices.

When will consumers start going less .. or stop going all together?

While Pandora is opening later this year .. DHS will continue to be half a park (and you'd think more will close before new things open) and Epcot seems to be just SLOWLY getting ready for a major refurb too with how they just let spaces lie empty.

But with getting less (no replacement for Electrical Parade) and increased ticket prices.

When will consumers start going less .. or stop going all together?

to be honest, i was almost there for this trip...
i suggested the possibility of us all heading to DL/DCA instead, but was overruled....
even in its weakened form, they wanted WDW over california...

and when i crunched the numbers anyway, i discovered that while WDW costs an arm and a leg, DL/DCA was even worse....so i couldn't convince them on cost....
so it's WDW this year despite its shortcomings...

but a bit of revolt does seem to be brewing below the surface, even in our disney obsessed family....
i heard DD and DS (ages 32 and 29) saying something to the effect, "i guess this will be the last trip to WDW"....
that's pretty monumental, considering when they were growing up we went a minimum of once of year, and they're even more disney obsessed than i am.....so yes, i think that tipping point might already be here for some....

Last edited:
I had no issues viewing the projection show both nights we saw it, or wishes. We got great "seats" about 45 minutes from the castle projection show for our family of 9 both on a Wednesday and Friday night.

Maybe Disney is already taking baby steps because for the first time in years, WDW has quietly offered Canadians a special deal: 25% off park ticket package only (no room). That brings the ticket pkg closer to par for our lagging $. If you check out the Canadian subforum, it looks like it's a big hit at least amongst Canadians who stay offsite. If its a trial balloon to see if international guests will bite at decent promos, then looks like its doing well. And Cdns are a very small market compared to the Brits. The Fall Free Dining promo may be another bellwether. If it drops (in past years, around late March or April) & the dates are beefier than last year's bare offerings, then we know WDW is concerned about filling rooms for at least some of the slower Fall months. October has been stronger lately than September so doubt any FD offers for that month but who knows. We live in interesting times.

While I enjoyed wishes just as much or more as the next person, when it comes to Disney's nighttime shows or fireworks it was nothing particularly special. Whatever Disney rolls out will blow everyone away, and wishes will still exist on YouTube.

While I enjoyed wishes just as much or more as the next person, when it comes to Disney's nighttime shows or fireworks it was nothing particularly special. Whatever Disney rolls out will blow everyone away, and wishes will still exist on YouTube.

and for me, wishes is the only one that evokes an emotional response...
i have no interest whatsoever in illuminations or fantasmic...
i schedule viewings of them for the sake of the rest of the group, but they both bore me to tears and leave me cold..

(as an aside, for some reason i did enjoy the DL version of fantasmic....not sure why as i've never compared and contrasted the two versions)

There used to be a cereal when I was a kid called Crazy Cow. It turned the milk into strawberry milk. And it was my favorite. They stopped making it 30+ years ago, and I've never gotten over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter