Hurricane watch 2018

Very sad day last year when I unpacked the suitcases because of Irma. So we try again flying in on the 8th for our first F&W. Fingers crossed
I'll also be flying in on the 8th; was there immediately post-Irma last year too (was originally scheduled to come in on the 9th last year, but delayed so I wouldn't have to be there during the storm). Food and Wine is awesome!

I'm keeping an eye on this system coming in from Africa; not too concerned about it at this point. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyways.

I can assure everyone, that there will be no hurricanes for many years to come.........

We just purchased a portable air conditioner and new generator, so we will be ready this year in case of power outage. Last year we were 6 days without power.
So because we just dropped this money, you are all safe........... :rotfl2::rotfl2::jumping1:

Praying for a quiet season!

I can assure everyone, that there will be no hurricanes for many years to come.........

We just purchased a portable air conditioner and new generator, so we will be ready this year in case of power outage. Last year we were 6 days without power.
So because we just dropped this money, you are all safe........... :rotfl2::rotfl2::jumping1:

Praying for a quiet season!

Well between you and me (we just spent $5k on shutters) we should be ok.

Yeah, better start watching this. The last 2 Food&Wine trips we missed major hurricanes by less than a week each time.

Bill From PA
When are you going? We are going to be there over Halloween and I'm hoping you are not bad luck:-). I'm from the Lehigh Valley.

Very sad day last year when I unpacked the suitcases because of Irma. So we try again flying in on the 8th for our first F&W. Fingers crossed
I was cancelling that very same morning. We were supposed to be driving from Rhode Island that day, staying in Daytona Beach overnight on the 9th for check-in on the 10th. I was crying on the phone when I was cancelling.

Looks like there’s been an update. Doesn’t seem to be heading towards Florida if it stays on its current path though.

View attachment 347385
They've also downgraded its strength in this (most recent; the one you posted is from earlier today) forecast; last forecast had it reaching hurricane status by Wednesday, and now it's just a tropical storm through the whole forecast period. That doesn't rule out intensification later, but seems like a good sign to me.

This is us, too. We don't usually travel in October but this year we are flying to Florida last week of Oct and doing WDW for a couple of days before getting on the Fantasy for the Western Carib. And in Oct 2019 we are doing the DVC Bermuda cruise the beginning of the month! Travel insurance (lots of it!!! lol) purchased for this year already and will definitely be getting it for Oct 2019 as well.

We always buy travel insurance when we travel mainly now because of our ages 65 & 66 and you just never know.
I do believe Disney has a very good cancellation policy in regards to Hurricanes even if you do not have travel insurance

I was cancelling that very same morning. We were supposed to be driving from Rhode Island that day, staying in Daytona Beach overnight on the 9th for check-in on the 10th. I was crying on the phone when I was cancelling.

I was also crying. I know many people were mad at me for feeling that way because so many were in harm. Which is the exact reason I didn’t go I did not want to make cm’s working to take care of me when they had families to worry about. But all the planning and excitement thanks for understanding.

I just hope IF a hurricane hits...they will sell those yummy $13 ham sandwiches again! :duck:SMH......

We always buy travel insurance when we travel mainly now because of our ages 65 & 66 and you just never know.
I do believe Disney has a very good cancellation policy in regards to Hurricanes even if you do not have travel insurance

Travel insurance is good no matter what your age. I'm a Norwegian that lives in England and I never used to bother with travel insurance when I went home to Norway to visit my family. Norway has a very good health care system where you only pay a small amount for medical treatment. I don't live there anymore though, and don't pay taxes to Norway, so I'm not entitled to the same low cost treatment. About two and a half years ago I went home to my family to celebrate Christmas, and went outside to play with my nephews, and I went to sledge down a hill by my sisters house once. Long story short, I broke my leg in three places, fractured it and damaged the ligaments. I spent 6 days in hospital and had to have surgery to put my leg back together and now have metal pins, plates and screws in my leg. Let's just say I panicked a bit about the hospital bill since I didn't have travel insurance. Luckily though I had what's called a European Health Insurance Card that is free and and let me have the same care that the local people from the country I'm visiting gets (withing the EU). I only had to pay approx $25 for the crutches. I even didn't have to pay for the approx $300 taxi ride to my sisters place when I was discharged from the hospital as the Norwegian health care covers transport as well. Now I never go anywhere without travel insurance. I actually get an annual cover now, not just a single trip one as that would cover any trips we take no matter how far we travel.

I'm driving down to WDW on the 7th. I've already told my extended family that we are staying put at Disney if there is a hurricane. No way that I'm going to be stuck in evacuation traffic, when I can be at Disney instead. Even if it is just staying in my hotel room.

I'm driving down to WDW on the 7th. I've already told my extended family that we are staying put at Disney if there is a hurricane. No way that I'm going to be stuck in evacuation traffic, when I can be at Disney instead. Even if it is just staying in my hotel room.
You are very wise for making that decision. We opted to leave early last year, and did get stuck in evacuation traffic. It was stressful and reminded me of certain scenes from The Walking Dead. We are headed back again on Sept. 9th and have informed our family of the same intention. If there is another hurricane, I will be staging a sit in!!!! Bad ham sandwiches and all.....

That storm off the coast of Africa has now turned into triopical storm Florence. Last time I was in Florida during a tropical storm it was just very rainy and I remember it clearly as we arrived in the middle of it. As we were leaving whichever airport we changed flights from in the US the pilot came on the intercom and said he wasn't sure if we'd be allowed to land, but not to worry as they had plenty of fuel if they needed to turn back. According to the people I was travelling with it was a very bumpy ride with loads of turbulence, but I've never slept better :rotfl:

I just hope IF a hurricane hits...they will sell those yummy $13 ham sandwiches again! :duck:SMH......

Must have missed it last year but guest service during Irma was among the best Disney has ever been. I think they learned their lesson from the year before.

For this weekend, it looks like the wave will be a little further South. So in Orlando it looks like the worst day will be Monday. With clearing on Tueday.

In regards to Florence WE MUST WATCH IT!!! It is not 100% set in stone yet she will re curve out to sea. Anything is possible at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter