Hurricane watch 2018

The US National Hurricane Center (which is responsible for the tracking of storms in the North Atlantic and North Pacific basins) uses "potential tropical cyclone" as a generic term, before a system has developed and its strength is known.

Thanks!

Looks like the current system has been given a name, Gordon. The imact to the world hasn't changed much tho, looks like rain today and tomorrow.

I'm in Houston and have been through both Ike and Harvey. In fact, my oldest was born three days after Ike hit. Not too much gets me worried after those two storms but we also pretty much have a closet that's dedicated to hurricane prep year round. The guys to follow here are Eric & Matt at https://spacecityweather.com/ - they're Texas specific but do a good job covering the big storms without fuss or hype.

And of course, there's nothing we can ever know for sure until the storms actually make landfall, but if you wait just 24-48 hours beforehand to make preparations, you're going to be out of luck.

As for weathering a storm in Disney, I highly recommend Chaco sandals, lol. They're very sturdy, orthopedically sound and dry out super quick (much quicker than Keens, IMO.)

Wow you guys are right about something developing so quickly. Glad this TS will just buzz the south of Florida and looks like it should miss Orlando. Now to just watch the one behind it. Good thoughts for everyone with trips in September
What is the ETA on the one behind it? If it were to head toward FL.

I'm in Houston and have been through both Ike and Harvey. In fact, my oldest was born three days after Ike hit. Not too much gets me worried after those two storms but we also pretty much have a closet that's dedicated to hurricane prep year round. The guys to follow here are Eric & Matt at https://spacecityweather.com/ - they're Texas specific but do a good job covering the big storms without fuss or hype.

And of course, there's nothing we can ever know for sure until the storms actually make landfall, but if you wait just 24-48 hours beforehand to make preparations, you're going to be out of luck.

As for weathering a storm in Disney, I highly recommend Chaco sandals, lol. They're very sturdy, orthopedically sound and dry out super quick (much quicker than Keens, IMO.)
I can kind of relate. We lived in Florida and had 5 hurricanes hit one year. We had metal hurricane shutters that we would put up. Hubby got tired of taking them off and putting them up, so we just left them up for the entire hurricane season. LOL!! We moved to Alabama 11 years ago and it's a whole different type of preparation here. LOL!!

What is the ETA on the one behind it? If it were to head toward FL.
If Florence ends up posing a danger to the US, it would be sometime mid-to-late next week (it's still over a week out). Still too early to tell about any US impacts from that one, though.

There's also a third (currently unnamed) system that may form up over the course of the next week or so. Again, too early to predict where that one's going to go.

Basically: the Atlantic's been mostly quiet so far this season, but that's now changing as we're reaching the peak of hurricane season and conditions are becoming more favorable for development.

I can kind of relate. We lived in Florida and had 5 hurricanes hit one year. We had metal hurricane shutters that we would put up. Hubby got tired of taking them off and putting them up, so we just left them up for the entire hurricane season. LOL!! We moved to Alabama 11 years ago and it's a whole different type of preparation here. LOL!!

I was in Atlanta when we had three (or four) tropical systems come through in almost as many weeks. It's something else, that's for sure! My family is all in Mississippi so I texted my dad today to see how they were doing. And they're actually in Tallahassee for an FSU game - I was like, you best be getting home soon, LOL!

Hope everyone is ok and not getting damage from what is happening now. Will be watching this thread this season, always good to be aware! Thanks to all that contribute!

There is Florence (which I think will NOT have any impact on Florida)

There are 2 waves behind her. Those 2 waves are ones to be watched for the entire East Coast.

Time frame of them reaching the East Coast (if they did that is) would be the Sept 15-20 time frame.

This is not good for us.

Thinking of those in Gordon’s path. Hoping it isn’t too significant.

There is Florence (which I think will NOT have any impact on Florida)

There are 2 waves behind her. Those 2 waves are ones to be watched for the entire East Coast.

Time frame of them reaching the East Coast (if they did that is) would be the Sept 15-20 time frame.

Sending prayers to those in Gordon's path..

Well Sept 15-22 are my Disney date flying from Maine :( hopefully these 2 don't cause too much havoc..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter