Hurricane watch 2018

I am a mess this morning over this storm. Saw the shifting southwest into Georgia. We are driving from Chicago so now if my husband's boss agrees he can leave early on Friday we will hit the road Friday by 6pm, spend the night in Alabama Saturday and get into the panhandle of FL by 6am Sunday.
Hopefully this is all before any storm impacts arrive to that area. I'm crossing fingers and toes. And really hoping the storm track doesn't not change again south.

We are also travelling from up north and what has really helped me put things into perspective is looking up the cities we will be traveling through's weather forecast. For example I know we will be travelling through Atlanta friday evening and looking at the forecast it says it will be clear. I don't think the hurricane will be spreading as much to our travel paths as fast as we think (at least thats what I hope). Hope this helps!

We are scheduled to fly Monday afternoon ATL --> MCO. But we could leave Sunday night and drive if we need to. What's the changes things will be back to normal by Monday afternoon?

Watching the 11am Update before heading to work, here’s the latest.

Storm track has shifted South, storm has slowed, will now have impacts into Georgia with wind & rain..

Storm to get to the NC coast (Wilmington area) & hover - then track south, making landfall closer to Charleston SC then west into the state. Showing winds will now be felt into Florida. Monitor & stay safe watch for alerts as it’s possible travel routes not impacted before could be.

We are currently driving to Florida from PA on 81. We’re near the bottom of Virginia close to the Tennessee border and have not encountered heavy traffic or issues getting gas. We’re taking a wide route away from the coast and will get on 75 toward Atlanta to our hotel below Macon.

The Waze app has been VERY helpful! Thanks to those who suggested it!

Just an FYI, we are in Raleigh and had to cancel our trip to DW for the weekend. Disney was super understanding about it and refunded us all of the money even though I didn't have trip insurance. SW cancelled my flight and refunded me that portion and I was able to use the leg back portion that hadn't been cancelled towards another flight (hopefully for when I can reschedule my trip).
Hope everyone stays safe!

I had a friend that was heading back from vacation early. They were evacuated. Going North on 77 at the VA -WVA line it was a stand still. She went 2 miles in an hour. I think taking 81 was a great choice.

We are currently driving to Florida from PA on 81. We’re near the bottom of Virginia close to the Tennessee border and have not encountered heavy traffic or issues getting gas. We’re taking a wide route away from the coast and will get on 75 toward Atlanta to our hotel below Macon.

The Waze app has been VERY helpful! Thanks to those who suggested it!
Wave when you drive through Cleveland (right before you get to Chattanooga)! I'll be headed out later today to fly down :jumping1:

Just an FYI, we are in Raleigh and had to cancel our trip to DW for the weekend. Disney was super understanding about it and refunded us all of the money even though I didn't have trip insurance. SW cancelled my flight and refunded me that portion and I was able to use the leg back portion that hadn't been cancelled towards another flight (hopefully for when I can reschedule my trip).
I live near Durham and was considering booking a last minute trip to Disney. Was searching our DVC availability and there was some. Would just drive there. But we have a dog and working 21 year old DS who cant go to Disney...boo. But now the forecast is looking a little better for us in the triangle.

For all those driving South East near the weekend, looks like your biggest concerns should be focused on fuel availability, hotels, heavy rain and potential flooded roads. Those are very real concerns no matter which way this storm turns. Doesn't take long to flood some roads when the heavy rains are relentless, and Florence stalls (which is real possibility).

We are in Raleigh with potential heavy rain/winds, and of course the largest concerns are I-95 and East to coast. I-95 floods easily in some areas.

Heed warnings and stay safe everyone in path.

For those driving from the north - don't forget Mississippi as a possible bypass. Most people evacuating won't be going further west than Alabama so Mississippi should have plenty of gas and hotel rooms.

Watching the 11am Update before heading to work, here’s the latest.

Storm track has shifted South, storm has slowed, will now have impacts into Georgia with wind & rain..

Storm to get to the NC coast (Wilmington area) & hover - then track south, making landfall closer to Charleston SC then west into the state. Showing winds will now be felt into Florida. Monitor & stay safe watch for alerts as it’s possible travel routes not impacted before could be.
With the shift towards the South I am now wondering if parts of Northwest Georgia could possibly be on the East side of the eye at some point? Didn't plan on stocking up on too much of anything, but now with this shift I am going to be keeping a closer eye on the situation today.

I am a mess this morning over this storm. Saw the shifting southwest into Georgia. We are driving from Chicago so now if my husband's boss agrees he can leave early on Friday we will hit the road Friday by 6pm, spend the night in Alabama Saturday and get into the panhandle of FL by 6am Sunday.
Hopefully this is all before any storm impacts arrive to that area. I'm crossing fingers and toes. And really hoping the storm track doesn't not change again south.
We are heading down to WDW on Saturday morning from the FL Panhandle. Coming down 65 in Alabama you can take 113 to 29 to bypass going thru Mobile, AL. It will take you about an hour to hit I-10 in Pensacola and start across the top of Florida. You just really have to watch your speed going thru Flomaton and Century. Small towns and lower speeds than you might expect. This should save you at least an hour or two.

I don't have any experience with trying to get from 65 to 10 starting closer up to Montgomery or with the roads that you would travel on to give any advice on going that way. I live in the Pensacola area, so it makes sense for us to come on down 65 before cutting across.

Last edited:
I had a friend that was heading back from vacation early. They were evacuated. Going North on 77 at the VA -WVA line it was a stand still. She went 2 miles in an hour. I think taking 81 was a great choice.

When we passed the exit for 77 I was half tempted to take it just to see because we had such smooth sailing so far. I’m glad that we didn’t and we’re still taking the “scenic route”.
We’re in Tennessee now and grabbing a bite to eat and fueling up.

We are scheduled to fly Monday afternoon ATL --> MCO. But we could leave Sunday night and drive if we need to. What's the changes things will be back to normal by Monday afternoon?

If you can wait to decide... i would wait to see how things turn Sat/Sun... Right now the only thing ATL is slated to get is rain/wind late Sunday and Monday AM... If we do get a lot of rain/win Sunday PM/Monday AM it could start delaying canceling flights which could impact you flight to MCO Monday Evening... its really just too soon to know right now.

My bf and I are flying tuesday morning from PHL to MCO. I think we should be fine by that point but I'm definitely nervous :sad1:

STAY SAFE!:goodvibes Great to hear that Disney was accommodating! Hope that you can reschedule in the near future!::yes::

My bf and I are flying tuesday morning from PHL to MCO. I think we should be fine by that point but I'm definitely nervous :sad1:
We're flying out of ATL to MCO on Tuesday afternoon. I'm nervous too especially after barely missing Irma last year. We flew out at 1:30 and the airport opened up at 12. It was the only time I was first in line for security with no waiting.

Prayers to all those impacted by Florence. Unfortunately, Isaac models are not getting better for Florida although it is still early and they have been wrong many times before.

Latest GFS prediction shows Isaac strengthening from TS into Hurricane. Below picture is their prediction for 2:00am on Friday the 21st.

[GALLERY=]Isaac.png

Prayers to all those impacted by Florence. Unfortunately, Isaac models are not getting better for Florida although it is still early and they have been wrong many times before.

Latest GFS prediction shows Isaac strengthening from TS into Hurricane. Below picture is their prediction for 2:00am on Friday the 21st.

I'm really hoping this is wrong as we'll be there then. I'll have to find my source again, but I saw something earlier this afternoon that they think Isaac may break up in the Caribbean over the next few days.

All eyes are understandably on Florence right now, but it's the height of hurricane season, so those of us travelling need to keep an eye out for other storms.

We fly out Saturday and I'm trying to keep up to date in case something with our flight changes or we need to rebook for a different week. I'll be thinking good thoughts for everyone in Florence's path.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter