Hurricane watch 2018

Nope! Right in the middle of it unfortunately! We are in Raleigh - direct path - stores are emptying, some gas stations low or out of gas. Thurs, through weekend (or after) probably not good days here.
Don't plan on being able to gas up on way down anywhere near the coast. Hotels filling up, not to mention the torrential rain totals that we will probably see here. Lots of roads will be impassible, etc. etc. etc.
I would trust what North of Mouse posted. My daughter and I got stuck at the Poly last year with Irma. As soon as the storm passed my husband drove from our home also in the Raleigh area to get us since the airports were taking an extra day to open and there were limited flights available.... There were armed national guards blocking the exits all along the I-95 in the state of Georgia. And best of luck, if you don't fill up some extra gas can. Really don't think anyone should be trying to drive in the weather we're expecting starting about late Thur thru at least late Fri or Sat. Who knows how long it will last or whether you'll hit a road block along the way. I think many of the roads, especially in SC and GA could get flooded and there will be toppled trees all along the hurricane's path. From what is being reported, Florence is predicted to stall once it gets inland rather than turn around ahead back out to the coast. Same as what happened in Texas and they remained flooded for over 2 weeks.

Last edited:
We are driving from Pennsylvania and leaving very early tomorrow morning. My original plan was to go 81 S. and get on 77 to Charlotte NC and then make my way to 85 toward Atlanta and get off on 441 (before Atlanta) to 75. Our hotel is near Macon. We usually take 77 into Columbia SC where we have family, but I'm thinking I don't want to go in that far. Does the route I'm thinking of taking sound far enough away from the coast?

Is anyone aware of a gas app that shows not only nearby gas stations, but one that shows IF they have gas at all?

Looking at that route on the map I would avoid Charlotte. I can see many evacuating to that area and it might be a tough area to get though. I think it might be better to take 81 south to Knoxville and then take 75 to Atlanta. I know that is more out of the way and a longer trip but it will keep you farther way from the area getting hit.

This is just my suggestion of what I would do. I live in Ohio and have never been in a hurricane. I just follow along on the news and threads.

We’re in a similar position- we have a flight from Philadelphia to MCO Thursday morning. From the latest info, it seems like we should be okay avoiding tropical storm force winds on our flight as scheduled, but I really have no idea what to expect. AA is only being flexible for flights in/out of directly affected airports, not flights that might be through or adjacent to affected areas.
We are supposed to fly in Thursday night from DEN. I mostly feel we should be fine, unless we are affected by a plane or crew who is affected by the storm. It looks like our plane usually goes IND-BWI-MEM-MCO-DEN and then our flight to MCO. So now I worry/wonder about BWI... and then I feel dumb worrying because of all of the people who's lives will be affected.

We are driving from Pennsylvania and leaving very early tomorrow morning. My original plan was to go 81 S. and get on 77 to Charlotte NC and then make my way to 85 toward Atlanta and get off on 441 (before Atlanta) to 75. Our hotel is near Macon. We usually take 77 into Columbia SC where we have family, but I'm thinking I don't want to go in that far. Does the route I'm thinking of taking sound far enough away from the coast?

Is anyone aware of a gas app that shows not only nearby gas stations, but one that shows IF they have gas at all?

Definitely do not take 77 to Columbia as you will not be able to use 26 to get to 95. All lanes are being reversed for folks to evacuate. They are anticipating a huge influx of evacuees here in Charlotte. I would avoid it if possible. Safe travels!

I used Gas Buddy during Irma last year and it appeared to be pretty accurate. It would show whether the station had gas and the price.

I still think you might want to stick with 81 to Knoxville and pick up 75 there. I have used the bypass around the west side of Atlanta and it was busy but we kept moving. Whatever you do, don’t go straight through Atlanta unless it’s the wee hours of the morning. My BIL made that mistake a couple years ago, and was stuck at a stop for nearly an hour. I prefer to keep moving, especially if gas shortages could be happening nearby.

Good luck!

I am so torn about what to do. I'm not supposed to fly down from DC until this weekend, so I don't know if I should chance the storm staying on it's current track and keep my plans, or head down earlier this week just to get down there and avoid any possible delays or cancellations. Such a hard choice!
If you can I would leave ASAP before the it hits and before flights fill up. By Sat it will not be over. It will be further inland and still have heavy rains and high winds. I would leave no later than tomorrow by noon.

My flight is leaving NYC on Friday at 6am - I've never flown while there was a hurricane in my flight path before. Is this something planes usually fly around? It looks like that might be the height of when it's hitting the coast, so I'm not sure if I should be expecting for my flight to be cancelled or delayed. Hoping everyone being hit directly stays safe!

I used Gas Buddy during Irma last year and it appeared to be pretty accurate. It would show whether the station had gas and the price.

I still think you might want to stick with 81 to Knoxville and pick up 75 there. I have used the bypass around the west side of Atlanta and it was busy but we kept moving. Whatever you do, don’t go straight through Atlanta unless it’s the wee hours of the morning. My BIL made that mistake a couple years ago, and was stuck at a stop for nearly an hour. I prefer to keep moving, especially if gas shortages could be happening nearby.

Good luck!

Thanks!
Do you know the route/road number for the Atlanta bypass? I've never been there and not at all familiar with the area.

I shouldn't be nervous, but I am. We're flying from Nashville to MCO on Saturday. I don't think we'll have trouble with our flights. Our plane actually overnights at Nashville, having come in from the upper midwest the night before. No idea about the crew, but I'd guess they'd have that figured out by then.

But my Mom flies in to keep my kids on Friday. She's flying in from further west, but has to connect through Atlanta (yay for small airports). The ATL connection has got me concerned. We used to live there and that airport is INSANE on a good day, but with delays & weather issues, it can be a virtual nightmare. I don't know if I should try to reschedule her flight to one that flies through DFW, or just leave it. Worst case, she arrives later on Friday (which is fine), she has to rent a car and drive to Nashville from ATL (not ideal, but doable), or she can't get out until Saturday morning (and we leave the kids with a sitter until she can get here).

Latest NHC track shows landfall 8am Friday morning, delayed from 2am in the previous update. Storm is slowing down I guess, which makes me feel better about our Thursday morning flight.

I shouldn't be nervous, but I am. We're flying from Nashville to MCO on Saturday. I don't think we'll have trouble with our flights. Our plane actually overnights at Nashville, having come in from the upper midwest the night before. No idea about the crew, but I'd guess they'd have that figured out by then.

But my Mom flies in to keep my kids on Friday. She's flying in from further west, but has to connect through Atlanta (yay for small airports). The ATL connection has got me concerned. We used to live there and that airport is INSANE on a good day, but with delays & weather issues, it can be a virtual nightmare. I don't know if I should try to reschedule her flight to one that flies through DFW, or just leave it. Worst case, she arrives later on Friday (which is fine), she has to rent a car and drive to Nashville from ATL (not ideal, but doable), or she can't get out until Saturday morning (and we leave the kids with a sitter until she can get here).
But keep in mind just because the plane is there does not mean that the flight crew is. The crew could be coming from another city. I would reschedule your mom flight better to do it now that there is hopefully still seats on an earlier flight

Also worth noting for all of us flying that unless you're at one of the small spoke airports, it's extremely difficult to predict where your plane is coming from until the day of. As a million miler on United, I've seen aircraft swaps while sitting at the gate waiting to board. Same goes for crew.

For those flying from those smaller out stations, equipment and crew is more predictable.

But keep in mind just because the plane is there does not mean that the flight crew is. The crew could be coming from another city. I would reschedule your mom flight better to do it now that there is hopefully still seats on an earlier flight
If the plane is there overnight, most likely the crew is also. This is unless the plane is in a base for the airline, then there could be a crew change. If the plane is not in a base, then the crew is there with the plane. This doesn't always hold true, but is a lot of time. There are so many factors that go into airline schedule with the crew and the planes!

Latest NHC track shows landfall 8am Friday morning, delayed from 2am in the previous update. Storm is slowing down I guess, which makes me feel better about our Thursday morning flight.
I hope you're right. For me to change my Thursday PM flight to Wednesday PM on Southwest, it would cost me $1000. It's annoying because I'm trying to be proactive, and you'd think they'd want to have 2 less people they'd have to reschedule if my flight gets cancelled.

I hope you're right. For me to change my Thursday PM flight to Wednesday PM on Southwest, it would cost me $1000. It's annoying because I'm trying to be proactive, and you'd think they'd want to have 2 less people they'd have to reschedule if my flight gets cancelled.

Same- we’re on American, and our flight as well as the two early AM fights are full, so change options are very limited even if free.

Same- we’re on American, and our flight as well as the two early AM fights are full, so change options are very limited even if free.

Crossing my fingers for both of you!!!

285 takes you around ATL, but it can be just as bad as going straight through. I'd use Waze to help choose the better route through there.

Yes, it really depends a lot on your timing. My BIL hit right in the middle of the evening rush and was just stuck. But other times of day it's not so bad, relatively speaking. A good app is worth it for something like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter