Hurricane Irma?

Just found out my girlfriend is in Antigua. She said it blew threw in 24 hours. Crazy! They are back to vacation as normal.
That's great! We honeymooned there 28 years ago on 9/4/89. Yep, a hurricane passed nearby but there wasn't a direct hit or anything. Honeymooned as normal.

We're calling in the morning to move our UK reservation by a few days — has anyone here moved a UK res yet? I know their phone reps are actually in Florida as well, but occasionally they take a different position than the "normal" reps.

The Thursday before Harvey, I was in Austin. When I left to drive to Houston the forecast was ...tropical storm dumping around a foot of rain in the Houston area. When I was driving, the TXDOT signs had warnings like "STAY AWAY FROM COASTAL AREAS". Not good. When I arrived (2 1/2 hours later!!!), Harvey was a hurricane about to become a major hurricane and we were now supposed to get 30-40 inches of rain. And we all know how that turned out.

The moral - just because the wobble is looking more to the east does not mean that you should head down there right now.

As a planner, I feel for those of you having to cancel things. But - as someone who grew up in the coastal South - do not mess with something like this. People have been posting that they will just order groceries and have them delivered to their hotel. This will not happen. Gas? Not going to be easy to find. People worried about their dining plan - which restaurants are still going to be opened and serving? And none of this touches on the danger that you are sending yourself and your family members into. It does not take a direct hit to cause real problems.

Would I head to Florida now? Only if I had a family member who was stuck there and alone. That's it.

AMEN...still have gas shortages here in the Houston area almost 10 days after the storm. Everyone also needs to remember...the Texas refineries are still not operating at 100%...if at all. They can't make the gas if #1...the oil doesn't arrive (some pipelines may have been damaged) and #2...the refinery isn't operating. Just more "food for thought". Love your statement on food delivery...and will add...they can't deliver it if they don't have it. ::yes:: :tink:

Yeah, I don't get why anyone would object to you posting the most respected models as they are released. Are they outdated in a few hours? Sure, but we won't have anything better to go off until the next one is released, so some info is better than none!

Here we go again with my model is better than your model........

19hdpq.jpg

I forgot to mention, we paid with a Disney Vacation Savings Account. I wonder what they would refund my money to if I were to have to cancel instead of reschedule?

This came up earlier - since Disney's policy is to refund to original form of payment it will most likely go back into the Vacation account and then you will be able to select how you want to receive it when they shut it down.

Such a small island :(

It was bound to get hit very hard. But I hope they can recover

Irma just went through Puerto Rico. Everyone in hotels are okay. They had them under lock down and looks like they let people out now
The PM said 95% of the island is destroyed and uninhabitable.

Do you think rental cars will have gas if picking up tomorrow evening?

Most likely yes, when a car is returned it should be returned at Full so it would go out at full. The only time I have been given a car that is not full is when I've rented from an Enterprise that is a satellite facility not attached to any airport.

Given the gas shortages, it's possible however if your renting from the Car Care Center or MCO I doubt they would give a less than Full car.

While y'all are wanting to head south for your vacation ... as a Gro Florida I'm headed north to my Pensacola to be safe. Been thru too many 'canes to put up with this one.
Stay safe , good luck and pray for Florida...and save us some gas...please.

We are arriving on Friday the 15th. I just have to share the reactions of my uber-pessimistic DH. He's asking if we should cancel our trip. He's worried there will be no water, no gas, no electricity at that point. I think he thinks there will be no parks to visit. :rolleyes2 I just tried to talk him down by saying there is no need to plan anything at this point. We'll know all we need to know by Sunday/Monday. Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware there will most likely be an aftermath...but won't know if it's worth not coming until Irma's gone through. Right?

I had a short trip planned, 8th-11th, but just spend a total of 8 hours on various calls to reschedule it a week out. I only had to pay extra for my car rental. Everything else was moved over without any additional fees.

I hope that Orlando fairs well and doesn't have any major issues. So sad for all those who are severely affected.

the only difference between the models is the degree of devastation your part of Florida is going to get. I wouldn't put any faith in your vacation being any better from one model to another.

We are officially canceled
I'm currently on hold to get a refund for our MNSSHP tickets and then I need to cancel my daughter's BBB appointment. I cried as I canceled our trip I still am. But no trip is worth my family being hurt or being stranded. I wish everyone the best when making their decision. This wasn't an easy decision and we are all sad. We were supposed to leave Friday and fly back next Friday but mother nature just wasn't allowing us to go this time. My kids cried when unpacking their suitcases. We will get there again just not this year. And a plus south west fully refunded our flights. So we are whole again money wise. Stay safe every one in Florida

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter