Hurricane Irma Updates ***Check First Post for closures and more info***

Can you explain what you mean by that or provide a source? Thanks.
I don't know about the correlation but the concept is pretty easy. Water has significant mass, air does not. So Force = Mass * Acceleration. If mass is low (air), acceleration (MPH) must be high to equal the same force as something with more mass. Water moving at a slow acceleration will have more force than air moving at a faster acceleration. To a point of course. I don't know if 160:1 is that point and I'm not looking it up.

3 numbers that show just how monstrous Irma is
  • 37 hours: How long Irma has maintained 185 mph winds. No storm on record — anywhere on the planet — has maintained winds that speed for that long.
  • 51 hours: How long Irma has been a Category 5. That makes it the the third longest ever observed in the Atlantic.
  • 300,000 square miles: Irma’s cloud field, which would more than cover the state of Texas.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/07/us/hu...f66e382e59ca@livefyre.com&hubRefSrc=permalink

Can you explain what you mean by that or provide a source? Thanks.

I consulted on some peer articles after hurricane sandy in the New York City area from the planning/environmental response perspective.

When studying the what happened? They looked at the lack of appropriate sea walls In manhattan and the lack of oyster beds (long fished out) as a natural barrier to hurricanes (they slow the movement of water and help to control storm surges)

...in that research, that statistic is often repeated.

The destructing force/potential of water is 150x greater than air/wind.

There are two great destructive powers on earth: they are fire and water. Water is probably the worst.

But RETLAW didn't buy all that land 50 miles inland by accident.

I consulted on some peer articles after hurricane sandy in the New York City area from the planning/environmental response perspective.

When studying the what happened? They looked at the lack of appropriate sea walls In manhattan and the lack of oyster beds (long fished out) as a natural barrier to hurricanes (they slow the movement of water and help to control storm surges)

...in that research, that statistic is often repeated.

The destructing force/potential of water is 150x greater than air/wind.

There are two great destructive powers on earth: they are fire and water. Water is probably the worst.

But RETLAW didn't buy all that land 50 miles inland by accident.

I fully understand the destructive forces of water, and specifically how it varies with velocity and depth. My masters is in Hydrology and Hydraulics. I'm just interested in where you're getting your numbers (1 mph water being more destructive than 160 mph wind and destructing force/potential of water 150x greater than air/wind). I don't doubt them, just curious.

From WDWMAGIC

All performances of Disney On Ice presents Dare To Dream previously scheduled for Friday, September 8 through Sunday, September 10 at Amway Center have been postponed due to Hurricane Irma. A return engagement is scheduled for May 2018. Specific dates remain to be determined. Tickets will be honored for the rescheduled performances.

Supposed to go down in about 9 days. Not sure what things will look like or be operating like after Irma has her way with WDW and all of Florida. Praying for all concerned <3

The same for me, I'll be there by Saturday 16, hope everything is OK and the parks are operating as usual. I have tickets for Halloween Party on Sunday 17, what are the chances it gets cancelled?

The same for me, I'll be there by Saturday 16, hope everything is OK and the parks are operating as usual. I have tickets for Halloween Party on Sunday 17, what are the chances it gets cancelled?
The storm is hitting this weekend and Disney just cancelled this Sunday's. I can't see any reason at this time they would cancel the following Sunday's party.

Just as a related aside...I saw stats today that are telling too:

Causes of deaths from US hurricanes 1963-present:

Storm surges/flooding: 49%
Rain: 27%
Winds: 9%
Structural failure from other factors: 3%

Water is EVERYTHING

I fully understand the destructive forces of water, and specifically how it varies with velocity and depth. My masters is in Hydrology and Hydraulics. I'm just interested in where you're getting your numbers (1 mph water being more destructive than 160 mph wind and destructing force/potential of water 150x greater than air/wind). I don't doubt them, just curious.

Sorry if I patronized...it wasn't the intent at all. I was just relaying how the hurricane effects and characteristics came across my desk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter