Hucifer and Dan's flipping huge trip report *Last 3 days/Epilogue! 10/9, pgs 36-38*

Once inside the park, I was feeling better as long as I stayed focused on the stuff around me…except for the thousands of children around the place.

49692ready_for_epcot.JPG

Me and Mickey (along with some strangers), ready to hit our favorite park. Oh, and some international grub.

We were very anxious to try the new attraction Soarin’. But it’s a little after 10am by now and the standby line was like 50 minutes already. So we grab some Fastpasses and head over to the other side of the park.

Test Track is whirring away overhead. Dan makes it very clear that he wants to go on that next. By clear I mean he’s jumping up and down, pointing at TT, and saying, “Can we go on that next? Can we? Huh? Huh?” But holy crap, the standby line is over 30 minutes! The single line says 10 minutes, so there really isn’t a question about which line we’ll choose.

Don’t you feel like a first-class passenger when you hit the singles line? You literally walk past a hundred folks in standby who watch you walk right onto the ride. (I guess they don’t call it standby for nothing…right, Mickey? Heh heh.) Ever notice how those standby folks look as you run past them? Some look jealous, some angry, and some look puzzled. The puzzled look always amuses me…it’s like they didn’t understand how your line is moving so quickly.

Ten minutes my butt! We go straight from outdoors right into the video room. A few minutes later, we’re waiting for our next car. Sure Dan and I are taking separate cars. But it is sooooo worth it.

Seven minutes later, I’m scrambling out of my car to check out my photo. Everyone is gathered around the screens as usual, but many of them were pointing and laughing at one photo in particular. I moved forward to see what the commotion was about.

You guessed it. They were laughing at my husband.

He’s got an index finger up his nose and one very surprised expression on his face. Like he just got caught…picking his nose. My god it was hysterical. Nice way to make up for the lame Dinosaur snapshot. Had I read about LaLa’s neat little trick about taking a picture of a picture before this trip, I would have done that. Unfortunately, that never crossed my mind and the image is gone forever. Curses!

“That’s my husband!” I shout, trying to cash in on Dan’s minor celebrity status. A few men laughed, a few women gave me sympathy looks. Dan comes walking up just in time to hear my announcement. When he sees the photo he gives me his “I’m so proud of myself” look, giggles, and walks away.

And yes, all that positive attention would create a nose-picking monster.

Since being single worked so well the first time, Dan and I try our luck being single on Mission Space. Apparently, this is the alternate universe from Test Track, where singles are sparingly picked off as the standby crowd zooms by. We watched the end of the standby line go into the preparation room while we stood in line and waited to be called in. Crap! I guess it’s like switching lanes in traffic…once you are finally able to squeeze into the moving lane, the one you left suddenly moves forward.

So we ride Mission Space like a couple of pros (I dig this ride!) and walk toward the exit with shaky knees. The doors open and we step back outside. What the…? Holy crap, this park is getting packed. I would blame it on the Food and Wine Festival, but I came last October and it wasn’t anything like this. We can hardly walk without an “excuse me,” “sorry,” or a “why don’t you people go home like you were last year?”

We eventually meander to Spaceship Earth for one last attraction before lunch. Yep kiddies, there is a line for this bad boy too. Now, as much as I admire the nostalgic timelessness about this attraction, I am not feeling the love for the outdated technology of the ride’s mechanics. In 1982 I’m sure this was a technological wonder. By today’s standards…well, I’m sure they’ve done market surveys on those hard blue plastic seats…and probably know that the average WDW visitor isn’t comfortable in them, especially for 20 minutes at a time. Also, I cannot rest my head against the headrest because the sound system has degraded and, as an effort to make up for it, they’ve turned the volume up very loud…and this level hurts my ears. So I lean my head forward a bit from the headrest, but the track has degraded too, and the chains which pull the vehicle forward tend to slip, which jerks the car back and forward, thus repeatedly slamming my head against the blue plastic headrest. All while this is happening, you hear a loud clunk from under your feet. This becomes very distracting. And painful. And do I need to mention the smell? Okay, Rome burning smells awesome. But I mean the old, musty smell that is a gentle reminder for the olfactories that this thing needs a few updates. I know I can’t be the only one to smell it. So for as much as I still love this silly little attraction, I’m just not enamored with the jerking, slamming, clunking, and smelling innards. Call me crazy.

It’s 11:50 and we’ve got a noon ADR at Biergarten. Just as we approach the restaurant, the rain hits. Dan is so excited (not because of the rain) because he’s been anxious to try Biergarten. We wait for the restaurant to open and watch as people dart for shelter from the rain. When the restaurant does open, we are among the first to be seated, so the place is empty and we can really check out the architecture inside. What a beautiful building! It looks like a little German town in here.

49692biergarten.JPG

Check out that ghosty image in the lower left corner. Probably the spirit of some old German waitress. Spoooooookyyyyyyyyy.

And the food smells so good…we’re told we can get our food but first I tell Dan that he cannot eat until he’s washed his fingers (all that nose picking, you know).

The food doesn’t disappoint Dan, but the vegetarian pickings are slim for me. However, what I can eat tastes pretty darn good…and look ma, no aftertaste! Dan, of course, loves the food so much that he goes up for seconds…and thirds. And dessert. Dude, slow down. We have to eat again tonight.

49692dessert.JPG

Dan, trying to put those 85 pounds back on and doing one heck of a job.

Dan gives Biergarten a big thumbs up and announces that we have to eat there again. Not doing so would be all illegal and stuff. Never mind that I don’t get the smorgasbord of choices that you get, dear. We step outside…ick, the rain is still going. So we pull out the rain gear, I tuck my Pal inside to keep him dry, and we meander our way through the sea of Mickey ponchos.

The rain isn’t keeping the guests away. We eventually get back to the Land pavilion so that we can use our Fastpasses. The Soarin’ standby line is up to 80 minutes. Good thing we came during the value season, honey! You know, to beat the crowds and all. Now let’s see what this new attraction is all about.

Pal Mickey, say something…like, “Oh boy! This ride sure is swell! Just make sure you have your pilot’s license ready. Ha ha!” …No? Well, obviously age is catching up with you because you can’t seem to hear any of the twenty million Soarin’ radio frequencies that are being thrown at you.

We stand in our lines and the monitor overhead comes on. Puddy from Seinfeld gives us our flight instructions, and Dan’s squealing for joy (“Look! It’s Puddy!”). The doors open and we walk to our glider. I safely stow my silent Pal into the bin and we sit into our gliders. I have to say, this is a wonderful attraction. The wind, the scents, the sensation of flying (no head slamming, musty smells, or chain slipping!)…it was a fantastic experience. Dan and I were very impressed. But you can forget getting back on this thing. The standby line creeped up to 90 minutes and Fastpasses won’t be ready to use until dinner time. Curses!

Next installment: Part 3. The Prison of Tomorrow

hucifer said:
“That’s my husband!” I shout, trying to cash in on Dan’s minor celebrity status. A few men laughed, a few women gave me sympathy looks. Dan comes walking up just in time to hear my announcement. When he sees the photo he gives me his “I’m so proud of myself” look, giggles, and walks away.

I really almost wet myself. I always love how some women give sympathy looks when we're laughing our butts off at the men we love. The things we are proud of.

Biergarten is fantastic, I haven't been there in a while though, I need to go back. Brian almost killed a waitress there once. But that's a different story. I've been afraid to show my face.

Keep it comin, I'm loving it!

Dan looks like he's praying over his dessert. Please don't let me gain the weight back 'cause this is sooooo good.

Hucifer, I wanted to tell you how much I love your report. I found it a while back, and just found my mental to git over and read it!

You have gifts. One is your quick wit and turn of phrase. The other is the ability to share a wrenching moment like on the monorail and have your reader right there with you. Wrenched along with you, feeling that genuine emotion. These gifts put your writing there alongside LaLa, zzuB, and Horsegirl. You're a force.

But you have one thing those 3 don't have:

a nosepicking Amish caveman.

:rotfl:

I can't wait to hear the rest!

HUCIFER,

As always you have added yet another wonderful addition to your trip report.
I just am compelled to makes some comments here!

"Don’t you feel like a first-class passenger when you hit the singles line? " YES :wizard:

"“That’s my husband!” I shout, trying to cash in on Dan’s minor celebrity status." You must have been SO PROUD? I can't believe you didn't buy that pic, and post it here for all of us! Tsk Tsk! :sad2:

"Check out that ghosty image in the lower left corner." Where are the Ghost Hunters when you need them? Did you know that the Biergarten is infamous for it's hauntings :scared1: ???? Even though you were no longer being Harry Potter, mystical things still happen.

"Puddy from Seinfeld"...Everybody says this! Except me....I kept saying "look its the guy from that show about the news show with Andy Dick...ya know the show what-cha-ma-call-it"!!! :crazy: Then my 11 yr old nephew said..."You mean Puddy for Seinfield"..."Yeah! that too kid!" :rolleyes2

ps. I have heard that in some countries, Roo pins are symbolic for fertility!!!! ;)

I absolutely love your trip report. excellent job.

On the fertility issue - I know how you feel. I've been battling it for 18 years and had finally given up on the hope of ever having a child.

Then we adopted our little girl (then 3 now 9). There's a long story on how we got her - it pretty much just fell in our lap. We took her to disney last year and she had the best time. it was so magical seeing the world thru her eyes.

Now we're adopting her older sister (11). She's never been to disney so I can't wait to take her and experience it thru her eyes.

Never give up. You will be a fantastic mom and it will come. :grouphug:

hucifer said:
He’s got an index finger up his nose and one very surprised expression on his face. Like he just got caught…picking his nose. My god it was hysterical. Nice way to make up for the lame Dinosaur snapshot. Had I read about LaLa’s neat little trick about taking a picture of a picture before this trip, I would have done that. Unfortunately, that never crossed my mind and the image is gone forever. Curses!

And yes, all that positive attention would create a nose-picking monster.

OMG :lmao: :lmao: That's freaking hilarious! Loves it!

Another great installment. I can't wait to read the next part :thumbsup2 Man, funny stuff never happens like that with my family. I'm going to start traveling with you guys now!....Just kidding. No really, I was kidding. You can stop crying now!

bumpity bumping this back up to page 1, where it belongs.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Hi newbies! Welcome to my trip report! :wave2:

kpk89, thank you! Not only for enjoying the report, but for bumping this bad boy. I realized that it needed another installment. Gulp! I'm slowly catching up to my unwritten days...I gotta get crackin' on this thing...but the weather has been sooooooo nice lately.

Hey Diznenut....thanks. :)

And DisUnc...always a pleasure to read your comments. Goofball.

And now...time for the next installment....

As a lousy substitute to Soarin’, we hit Innoventions. Wee. Don’t get me wrong, you’ll find a cool exhibit here or there, but overall this needs some serious attention. Back when I was 15 this place was called CommuniCore and it was like a museum of modern information. I remember being in awe of this place, running from exhibit to exhibit, soaking in as much information as I could. One exhibit showed a video demonstration of how wind resistance affected a vehicle's fuel economy, and as the car changed shape into a more aerodynamic design, the percentage of gas it used dramatically decreased. What I remember most about CommuniCore was the huge world population counter that just kept spinning and spinning…and I stood there watching the numbers zoom by and wondered how many more people would be on earth the next time I saw that counter. Of course, the next time I came back, EPCOT Center became Epcot, CommuniCore became Innoventions, and the counter was gone forever.

Dan and I meandered around, not really seeing anything much of interest. As a time-waster, we decide to step into the House of Innoventions…can’t be too bad, right? Little did we know that once we’re seated and the doors close…there is no escape. You’re a prisoner there until the whole thing is over. And they tell you this right away so you have lots of time to panic. “Now that the doors are closed,” Says our energetic host. “you can’t get out until we’re through with you. But don’t worry folks, this presentation only seems like an hour and a half.” The first thing he did was tell us to look under our seats for the 3D glasses…that didn’t exist. Then he laughs at our expense and says that that was just the beginning of our personal hell inside the House of Innoventions.

And so began the presentation. Was it me or…

“Dan, does this seem like a timeshare scam to you?”

He whispers back, “If I dig a tunnel in the carpet, will you be my lookout man?”

The friendly man inside the Prison of Tomorrow gave all of the gory details of the latest home entertainment system, pressing buttons and making televisions come out of walls and speakers pop up from the floor. Once that part of the presentation was over and we were told to get up, we thought we were handed a Get Out Of Jail Free card. But alas, Friendly Timeshare Man was only leading us to another room for the next part of the demonstration. The next room was a mini theatre with rows of uber-comfy seats. We all sit down and were given another spiel on home entertainment, theatre-style. The screen in front of us clicks on and we are stuck watching another Disney commercial for some silly-looking movie. Wow, did this thing drag on. At least the seats were comfortable! Of course, the chairs were part of the sale.

What is it you want, our souls? Can we trade Dan’s cigarettes for tools and dig ourselves out of here? What if I make a shank out of the chair coils, hold it up to the host’s throat, and threaten him until he lets us go?

Honestly, I’m not a violent person. But when driven to such extremes…

Once escaped from the confines of the Prison of Innoventions, Dan needs a cigarette. Mickey is still being eerily quiet.

Turtle Talk with Crush and the Living Seas is under refurbishment (double curses!), so we’re heading back to World Showcase. But we’ve got oodles of time to kill, so we decide to waste more time by taking the boat. Dan says it’s a first for him. I tell him not to expect too much.

49692waiting_for_boat.JPG

I'm either mid-sentence or mid-yawn here. Not sure. Dan would say I'm definitely mid-sentence. But for those of you don't know me and who have waited for this boat, you would probably think that it's a yawn.

So we get to the other side and start our journey around the countries. As I’ve mentioned in a previous trip report, Pal Mickey goes nuts in WS. He can’t tell you enough facts about each country’s land, language, and culture. He’s a great companion here. He also tells jokes. Bad jokes. But when we got to Italy, he said this:

“Say…how did the Romans build the Forum? They just added two-um and two-um. Ha ha! …forum? Two-um and two-um equal four-um? ...never mind-um.”

…and I bust out laughing. Yeah, I know. Laughing at his pun. But it wasn’t the joke so much that got me; it was the delivery. I squeezed his belly and shoved him at Dan. “Listen to this!” And I giggle again when he repeated the joke. Dan gives me a polite smile and walks away. Dude, cut me some slack…do I need to remind you who had his finger up his nose earlier? I squeezed Mickey over and over to listen to this silly little joke until a new joke came up.

When it was time for dinner, we arrive at Makkaresh, which is another first for both of us. I approach the hostess and tell her that we had an ADR for 7:25pm. She informs me that they do not make reservations for 7:25, just for 7 or 7:30.

Oh that’s funny…apparently I can’t remember a simple time like a 7 or 7:30, but instead make up an odd time like 7:25…which didn’t exist in her computer. The hostess looks at her monitor but cannot find my name. Meanwhile, Dan is checking her lanyard for a Roo pin (habit, I guess). After a few moments of not finding our name or a Roo pin, I reached into my bag to get the reservation number to prove that I’m NOT an idiot, and can indeed remember the time of my priority seating. Before I can retrieve it however, she gives up, shrugs, and says, “Just two of you? This way, please.”

Little did I know how this brief mishap would affect the rest of our trip.

We follow her into the restaurant. A belly dancer is showing off her stuff in the middle of the restaurant. Dan, stop staring at her…she isn’t wearing a lanyard and won’t have a Roo pin anywhere else on her body.

49692the_view.JPG

Lady, shake that thang! Oh, she's hard to see, isn't she? Well, she was difficult to see from our crap table too.

We are led to the crappiest table in the entire restaurant. It was the table for people who lie about priority seatings; the table where they banish bad Disney guests. We walk far left, to a teeny tiny table for two that is right smack in front of the kitchen entrance. We are in a direct line from the thoroughfare of bustling waiters, so when they leave the kitchen, they have to walk around the table. That means our arms need to remain inside the table at all times during the duration of our dinner, or we risk getting bumped. Once we sat down, I had to keep my elbows tucked in so that I wouldn’t accidentally sock a waiter in his fruit bat area.

Nice freaking table, lady.

So Dan and I wait to be served and we take a few silly shots.

49692menu.JPG

Enlighten me, oh Moroccan menu. (Notice that my elbow is WAY outside of the perimeter of the table...I love to live on the edge.)

49692silly_photo.JPG

Yep, that's the love of my life. I'm a lucky girl.

…and then the camera dies. Oops…forgot to bring an extra battery. So much for our collection of half-naked belly dancer pictures. When the food arrives, I really enjoy my couscous dish, but Dan is less than satisfied with his dry and overcooked shish kabob. In other words, I would come here again, but Dan wouldn’t.

After dinner, the only thing we really have time to do is wait for Illuminations. Pal Mickey buzzes in my arms. “Say Pal, Illuminations is going to start in about a half an hour. We should be looking for a spot…wanna?” We wait near the entrance to WS, which proves to be the best place to see it (it’s also a great way to beat the crowd when the show is over). That's a great trick I learned from a local. Thanks, buddy. :thumbsup2

I love Illuminations. It’s a fantastic way to end a day at Epcot…especially considering how it started.

Next installment: Day 4. Pal Mickey Goes In For Surgery

hucifer said:
“Say…how did the Romans build the Forum? They just added two-um and two-um. Ha ha! …forum? Two-um and two-um equal four-um? ...never mind-um.”

…and I bust out laughing. Yeah, I know. Laughing at his pun. But it wasn’t the joke so much that got me; it was the delivery.

Therein lies the beauty of Pal Mickey. He knows his jokes suck. But he tells them anyway.

And that is why I always laugh.

Love this installment, can't wait to see what happens to Pal Mickey that requires surgery. Perhaps a bad pun gone wrong?

Hi Hucifer, I've been enjoying your trip report....

This pic, would be really scary if he was wearing the Amish Caveman outfit :rotfl2:

49692silly_photo.JPG

I was :rotfl2: at your description of the House of Innoventions. My roomate had to work there and she hated it. And she said half the people who went in there did it by accident or thought it was some kind of seat-less ride. But you're right...once you're in that sucker, you're pretty much stuck there until the end. I only went once out of roomate loyalty. After that, I found every reason I could not to go there :rolleyes1

Anyway, great installment! Can't wait to read more :wave2:

Prison of Tomorrow :thumbsup2 Prison of Innoventions :thumbsup2

Perfectly said! Consider yourself lucky that you didn’t get stuck in the “Recycling Plastic/Build your own Robot Exhibit…For 1 hr 15 mins!!!!!!! The only place ever on WDW property I BEGGED for the lord to take me NOW!!!! Tedium to the MAX! :sad2:
Like Dan, I NEEDED a cigarette :smokin: or 2 or 3 after that mindgrating feetnumbing experience!

Too bad you missed Turtle Talk with Crush! Disney at it’s FINEST! :tink:

“Dan says it’s a first for him. I tell him not to expect too much.”….self explanatory as to why I found this line SO FUNNY!

“Pal Mickey goes nuts in WS” YES indeedy & AK! :mickeyjum

“She informs me that they do not make reservations for 7:25, just for 7 or 7:30.”……” Before I can retrieve it however, she gives up, shrugs, and says, “Just two of you? This way, please.” Another close call for Hucifer (any ADR police around?) :earboy2:

“Little did I know how this brief mishap would affect the rest of our trip.”…A CLIFF HANGER…like Desperate Diswives!!!! :3dglasses

“We are led to the crappiest table in the entire restaurant.” WDW knows how to MESS with ne’r do wells!!! :teeth:

“Pal Mickey Goes In For Surgery” OHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO???? :scared1:

Goofball and sole proprietor of Camp Dooziepatz! :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter