HS Rise of Resistance movíng to standby on September 23!

I have been practicing at home on the app to learn how snag a VQ boarding group before our upcoming November trip. I felt fairly confident that I could get us on, and was okay with it.

Now my choices are to rope drop (will probably grow to be a 2 hour wait within minutes of rope drop) or to spend half our day standing in line.

So no, I’m definitely not thrilled about this. I understand this will make it feel more “fair” and less like a lottery system, but it will essentially make HS an all-day park (half waiting in line, half other attractions) if you can’t afford to skip the line.

So now all the people who complained they couldn’t get a boarding pass, are now going to complain about the 5hour wait. Honestly, I can’t even imagine how long this line will be. Guess we are one of the few families who never had a problem getting a boarding pass and in 10 days was able to ride it for three days we wanted to.

I guess it was inevitable. It would have looked sort of sleazy to have a VQ with limited free spots (how limited? we'll never know) and then paid LL if/when you don't luck into the VQ. Now it just joins rides like FoP in having standby waits of potentially 5 hours.

Curious about how it goes. I think this'll take a lot of repeat riders out, but I have no idea how much that could impact overall waits. I haven't ridden it yet, and was open to the possibility of riding multiple times in my next visit, but this'll probably be one-and-done now, I am not enthusiastic about doing 3+ hour waits for the same ride twice.

See, I think people would have bought the LL access regardless since so many wouldn't get a boarding group. I don't see it as an attempt to get more people to buy it - people were ALREADY going to buy it!

I agree, but I think it's more about seeing how this is a high demand attraction during a historically slow crowd time. They can charge $24 pp right out of the gate, and when the holiday crowds come they can raise the price to $30 per person :rolleyes1

In seriousness it's probably because they are going to roll out G+ soon and do away with the boarding passes and go to SB and LL only.

I have been practicing at home on the app to learn how snag a VQ boarding group before our upcoming November trip. I felt fairly confident that I could get us on, and was okay with it.

Now my choices are to rope drop (will probably grow to be a 2 hour wait within minutes of rope drop) or to spend half our day standing in line.

So no, I’m definitely not thrilled about this. I understand this will make it feel more “fair” and less like a lottery system, but it will essentially make HS an all-day park (half waiting in line, half other attractions) if you can’t afford to skip the line.
I’ve been practicing over and over too. While I was always able to get in for the 1pm boarding, the 7 am boarding is very, very hard.

RotR is our group’s top priority next month which is why I’ve been “training” so hard for it. I’m very relieved to have the control back in my hands. I can either wait standby or pay (I’m sure we will pay). Now I can go back to my life!

I’m definitely not happy about this. If you thought Flight of Passage had a ridiculous standby lane, you haven’t seen anything yet. This is how Disney is going to convince people to pay $24/pp to skip the 5 hour standby queue.
The best way to convince people to pay $24pp is to have morning Boarding Groups run out in 5 seconds (what's currently happening) and then not offer any afternoon Boarding Groups. You then get to decide at 7 AM whether you want to cough up the $24pp for the free Boarding Group that you were unable to get in the morning.

My guess is ROTR will use a Standby Queue only until Genie+ is operating. My guess is that this is just a temporary thing, reflecting WDW's very low attendance for the last few weeks. (On some days, afternoon Boarding Groups have been available for hours.)

Sweet now slinky dog will only be like an hour wait!! lol
I'm hoping ROTR Standby lines means that other Standby lines will be shorter.

But maybe it will attract afternoon park hoppers, making DHS more crowded than it would have been otherwise.

See, I think people would have bought the LL access regardless since so many wouldn't get a boarding group. I don't see it as an attempt to get more people to buy it - people were ALREADY going to buy it!

I agree! We are not fans of the Genie + and IA$ changes, but had already decided to just hand Mickey our credit card on HS day and not even try for a boarding pass. Been there, done that - hate it. It puts too much stress on your HS day if you don't get one right away (or not at all). Even if you do, it's a crappy way to start off your vacation day. Now, I'm not so sure we will actually pay for the Rise Lightning Lane. We will at least wait and see how long the lines are. So if enough people are of the same mindset I really don't think it will make that much difference as to how many people pay the extra to ride. Getting those BG's was going to be even harder than before as there would be even less of them to go around with paid Lightning Lane getting who knows what percentage of them. Tons of people were going to pay, regardless.

I'm happy about this change.

I agree! We are not fans of the Genie + and IA$ changes, but had already decided to just hand Mickey our credit card on HS day and not even try for a boarding pass. Been there, done that - hate it. It puts too much stress on your HS day if you don't get one right away (or not at all). Even if you do, it's a crappy way to start off your vacation day. Now, I'm not so sure we will actually pay for the Rise Lightning Lane. We will at least wait and see how long the lines are. So if enough people are of the same mindset I really don't think it will make that much difference as to how many people pay the extra to ride. Getting those BG's was going to be even harder than before as there would be even less of them to go around with paid Lightning Lane getting who knows what percentage of them. Tons of people were going to pay, regardless.

I'm happy about this change.

Yeah, I'll try to rope-drop, maybe we pay if we have to - I'm not crazy about it, but I'll do it, which I realize makes me "part of the problem" 🤣 Still, I think this creates more freedom.

On my May trip, we got a BG - 78. Unsure of when it would and with plans to park hop, we watched the time and waited. And waited. It went well past he estimated time, to a little after 2 PM. We had Hs planned for the next day too, but also a late lunceh at Epcot at about 2:#0 - had it been day one we wouldn't have made it! We actually decided that the stress and hassle wasn't worth it and changed our park reservation to AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!