HS Rise of Resistance movíng to standby on September 23!

Yeah, I'll try to rope-drop, maybe we pay if we have to - I'm not crazy about it, but I'll do it, which I realize makes me "part of the problem" 🤣 Still, I think this creates more freedom.

On my May trip, we got a BG - 78. Unsure of when it would and with plans to park hop, we watched the time and waited. And waited. It went well past he estimated time, to a little after 2 PM. We had Hs planned for the next day too, but also a late lunceh at Epcot at about 2:#0 - had it been day one we wouldn't have made it! We actually decided that the stress and hassle wasn't worth it and changed our park reservation to AK.

We missed out at the first drop (back when it was 10 AM and you had to be in the park along with everyone else at WDW - or so it seemed). We got one at the second drop but then were stuck waiting around long after we normally would have gone back to the hotel for a midday break. It was a hot, crowded day and we were pretty much over HS at that point but had no choice but to stick it out if we wanted to ride Rise. We will be there next month (mainly for Boo Bash and F&W) and didn't even make a park reservation for HS for the first time ever. We'll be back in Dec and decided to wait until then to tackle it again.

I hate the way the VQ's basically take control of your day - even if you get one. Moving to a standby line is more flexible. I'm sure there's a good chance we will still pay, but at least we have the option of waiting in line if we so choose - and we can pick the time we want to do it!

Last edited:
We missed out at the first drop (back when it was 10 AM and you had to be in the park along with everyone else at WDW (or so it seemed). We got one at the second drop but then were stuck waiting around long after we normally would have gone back to the hotel for a midday break. It was a hot, crowded day and we were pretty much over HS at that point but had no choice but to stick it out if we wanted to ride Rise. We will be there next month (mainly for Boo Bash and F&W) and didn't even make a park reservation for HS for the first time ever. We'll be back in Dec and decided to wait until then to tackle it again.

I hate the way the VQ's basically take control of your day - even if you get one. Moving to a standby line is more flexible. I'm sure there's a good chance we will still pay, but at least we have the option of waiting in line if we so choose - and we can pick the time we want to do it!

Yes, exactly! It caused so much stress, watching those groups. Should we eat? Will they call? We were only planning to be in HS until time to hop, and we did get everything we wanted to do done. By the end we were just waiting, waiting, waiting until the moment we were legal to enter the queue. Even then, there wa a little wait to boot - total experience time is rather long.

Man, I'm agreeing with a Pens fan! 🤣

For people saying the VQ controlled your day - wouldn't standing in a 6-hour standby line control your day more? With this, at least you're waiting outside the queue. If your boarding group is called, you had an hour to return - and even after that they would let you on the ride if your time had expired, so if you were at lunch or something you were still OK, and they did give you an approximate return time. Pre-pandemic, we would even park hop and go to another park while we waited for our BG to be called.

I'm a fan of the VQ, I actually wish more rides had it. Disney could have distributed the VQ times better than 2 times per day though.

But with the VQ the way it is, you could do other things...

I'm sure the complaints will change from I don't like the VQ to - I don't like how the line is 6-8 hours long.

For people saying the VQ controlled your day - wouldn't standing in a 6-hour standby line control your day more? With this, at least you're waiting outside the queue. If your boarding group is called, you had an hour to return - and even after that they would let you on the ride if your time had expired, so if you were at lunch or something you were still OK, and they did give you an approximate return time. Pre-pandemic, we would even park hop and go to another park while we waited for our BG to be called.

I'm a fan of the VQ, I actually wish more rides had it. Disney could have distributed the VQ times better than 2 times per day though.

I'm sure the complaints will change from I don't like the VQ to - I don't like how the line is 6-8 hours long.

I don't believe that the line will regularly be 6 hours - that's just unlikely. For me, I am great at being early and rope dropping, so that is now an option and frees up the rest of the day.

We might have hopped before our group was called, but when you can't hop until after 2, that is harder to do unless the BG is very late.

Yes but you can either plan ahead “I’m going to rope drop” or decide “I’m going to suck it up and wait five hours” or decide “I’m willing to pay to do this.” The control is back in your hands. The VQ was like a lottery system you had absolutely no control over.

ETA: I like the idea of VQ in theory, if there’s greater availability and more control over return time.

I think genie will start on or close to Sept 23.
For people who think 4or 5 hrs is too long---sadly it will be longer.

I guess for me I'd much rather be able to get a boarding group for free, know roughly when I'd be able to ride based on the estimate and then go about my day. If I didn't want to wake up early, I could go to HS at around 12pm and then try for the 1pm boarding group - and I know I'd still be able to do other things. Now if you want to do that, you either have to shell out money (for a family of 4, that is probably at least $100) or spend the rest of your day waiting in line.

I wonder if Disney is responding to a louder minority who didn't like the virtual queue system or was it really most people who didn't like it?

Again for me, I actually like it.

I guess for me I'd much rather be able to get a boarding group for free, know roughly when I'd be able to ride based on the estimate and then go about my day. If I didn't want to wake up early, I could go to HS at around 12pm and then try for the 1pm boarding group - and I know I'd still be able to do other things. Now if you want to do that, you either have to shell out money (for a family of 4, that is probably at least $100) or spend the rest of your day waiting in line.

I wonder if Disney is responding to a louder minority who didn't like the virtual queue system or was it really most people who didn't like it?

Again for me, I actually like it.
I understand liking it, I get the pros. But it sounds like you haven’t had trouble getting a boarding pass. That’s not true for everyone. Imagine being a parent coming with kids who are nuts about Star Wars, and you have absolutely no way to make sure your kids can ride (ETA: by “make sure” I mean only in so much as one can be sure of anything at Disney, of course the ride could shut down). Before you had one option only, and hoards of people got shut out. Now you have two options, accessible to anyone, and it’s not based on luck of the draw, it’s based on your own decision-making process.

Last edited:
I’m definitely not happy about this. If you thought Flight of Passage had a ridiculous standby lane, you haven’t seen anything yet. This is how Disney is going to convince people to pay $24/pp to skip the 5 hour standby queue.
Exactly this.
But i *do* like that there will be a line for those who were shut out of the boarding groups in the past.

I understand liking it, I get the pros. But it sounds like you haven’t had trouble getting a boarding pass. That’s not true for everyone. Imagine being a parent coming with kids who are nuts about Star Wars, and you have absolutely no way to make sure your kids can ride. Before you had one option only, and hoards of people got shut out. Now you have two options, accessible to anyone, and it’s not based on luck of the draw, it’s based on your own decision-making process.
Exactly this.
But i *do* like that there will be a line for those who were shut out of the boarding groups in the past.

Until the line gets too long and they have to close it down.

There's really never a way to "make sure" you can ride anything. A ride can go down, a hurricane can occur, your kid can wake up with a fever, etc. We've always found it better to prepare kids that we will try our best but nothing is definite (true for most things in life, not just Disney rides).

There's really never a way to "make sure" you can ride anything. A ride can go down, a hurricane can occur, your kid can wake up with a fever, etc. We've always found it better to prepare kids that we will try our best but nothing is definite (true for most things in life, not just Disney rides).
Absolutely.

No, of course. Virtual queue, standby, Lightning Lane, there’s no guarantees. My posts have focused on the point of “control.” I feel we will have far more control now with these changes, which appeals to me.

I understand liking it, I get the pros. But it sounds like you haven’t had trouble getting a boarding pass. That’s not true for everyone. Imagine being a parent coming with kids who are nuts about Star Wars, and you have absolutely no way to make sure your kids can ride. Before you had one option only, and hoards of people got shut out. Now you have two options, accessible to anyone, and it’s not based on luck of the draw, it’s based on your own decision-making process.

I guess my thought was once Genie and Lightning Lanes opened people would have a 2nd option if it was a once in a lifetime must do.

There still would only be a maximum of 2 options though, but now it is wait in a long line or pay for it.

The virtual queue was never based on luck though, it was based on knowing how to use it. If it were based on luck, there wouldn’t be people who could get it every time.

Disney could have made the system more fair though by doing drops throughout the day instead of only twice.

I still wonder how many people had success versus did not and like the system vs not like it.

I guess my thought was once Genie and Lightning Lanes opened people would have a 2nd option if it was a once in a lifetime must do.

There still would only be a maximum of 2 options though, but now it is wait in a long line or pay for it.

The virtual queue was never based on luck though, it was based on knowing how to use it. If it were based on luck, there wouldn’t be people who could get it every time.

Disney could have made the system more fair though by doing drops throughout the day instead of only twice.

I still wonder how many people had success versus did not and like the system vs not like it.
I see your point. I might disagree on it not being about luck, though. Something gone in seconds means even people who are ready and prepared get shut out. Even just slower internet could get you blocked out. I feel it was probably a combination of skill and luck, but of course it’s just my opinion!

It would be like any other ride. Just a longer wait to get on it.

Imagine if the line is 6 hours long ... you get a DAS at 3pm, your return time is right before they close at 9pm ... Or once they start closing at 8pm, do they just turn you away?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter