How Strict is AC re: Carry-On/Personal Item?

marisabuzz

Mouseketeer
I'm starting to go in to panic mode with packing as we are going on our trip very soon. This is our first trip Air Canada since 2013. We planned on using the same luggage we bought originally for that trip (Heys 26" bags for check-in and 21" for carry-on, purchased from our local Costco). We have used this set since for numerous trips to WDW on Southwest and one trip to LA on Westjet in 2018 using the 21" as a carry-on and laptop bags as personal items.

How strict is AC nowadays with carry-on and personal item sizing. I just measured the 21" carry-on and it's actually 22.5" from floor to top of handle. Our personal items are these and they measure 20" in height.

We are departing on business class with a connection in YVR. The first leg is a 777-200 and the second leg is a Max 8. We have a status pass for our return which is on a Max 8 and 777-300. Mentioning this in case size of plane might be a factor.

Did a quick forum search and couldn't find anything recent except for a short post in 2019 and another one in 2015.

Will we be ok or should I scramble to buy new carry-on luggage and/or laptop bag?

I have travelled with a 21” - that was the larger size as it came from a US Costco many years ago - in the last year with no issue (well no issue until it broke..my new one is the “international” version so with wheels is within the 21” guidelines)

I have travelled with a 21” - that was the larger size as it came from a US Costco many years ago - in the last year with no issue (well no issue until it broke..my new one is the “international” version so with wheels is within the 21” guidelines)
Thanks. I didn't even think or come to realize until this evening that there is a subtle difference in carry-on sizes in Canada vs the US. The US carriers generally allow 22" and Canadian/international carriers generally allow 21.5". Not sure if it changed over the years or if we got lucky flying with AC/WJ in the past.

I guess the saying is true -- everything is always bigger in the America.

I'm starting to go in to panic mode with packing as we are going on our trip very soon. This is our first trip Air Canada since 2013. We planned on using the same luggage we bought originally for that trip (Heys 26" bags for check-in and 21" for carry-on, purchased from our local Costco). We have used this set since for numerous trips to WDW on Southwest and one trip to LA on Westjet in 2018 using the 21" as a carry-on and laptop bags as personal items.

How strict is AC nowadays with carry-on and personal item sizing. I just measured the 21" carry-on and it's actually 22.5" from floor to top of handle. Our personal items are these and they measure 20" in height.

We are departing on business class with a connection in YVR. The first leg is a 777-200 and the second leg is a Max 8. We have a status pass for our return which is on a Max 8 and 777-300. Mentioning this in case size of plane might be a factor.

Did a quick forum search and couldn't find anything recent except for a short post in 2019 and another one in 2015.

Will we be ok or should I scramble to buy new carry-on luggage and/or laptop bag?
I flee AC in May and I obky used a carry on. I took two different plane sizes. Small and large. And I can the US version of the 21 inches which doesn't include the wheels and they let me on the planes. Hope this helps. They really didn't notice the difference

Pretty sure A/C bag allowance is 55cm. (approx 22".). We always fly with carry on only and I believe ours is 22.5" also. Except for Covid times, we fly to MCO 4 times per year. Never been asked to verify our bags in a bag sizer. Not even sure if I have seen one recently.

I had them deny my carry on a few years ago when they were cracking down on the size of bag...didn't even realize it was too big. Since then I purchased one that fits in their testing device and have never had a problem. I think you run the risk, if they decide to check, but I haven't seen that in quite sometime.

As you know we just got back from your same trip,,,4 carryons, plus each of us had backpacks,,,no issues,,they done even measure. There are the little self measure cages near checkin, but never saw anyone even having to use these. The only issue for some,,should not effect you is they had to check their carryon since everyone had it and not enough room. Being in business class you will be some of the 1st on,,,so no issues.

As you know we just got back from your same trip,,,4 carryons, plus each of us had backpacks,,,no issues,,they done even measure. There are the little self measure cages near checkin, but never saw anyone even having to use these. The only issue for some,,should not effect you is they had to check their carryon since everyone had it and not enough room. Being in business class you will be some of the 1st on,,,so no issues.
Am so glad you posted this as this is our plan...We are a family of 4 and planning on each having a carry on (to hopefully go with us in the airplane in the overheads) and each of us to have a backpack (to go under the seat by our legs).

Did you have any issue taking your carry ones with you and finding a spot? We moved ourselves a bit further back as we heard WestJet boards back to front (after priority seating)

We did not have issues,,,but we had priority seating. We also checked our carryon for free on the return,,,since hey we are heading home and one less thing to wheel around until needed.

Did you have any issue taking your carry ones with you and finding a spot? We moved ourselves a bit further back as we heard WestJet boards back to front (after priority seating)
When I check on our flights to see how many seats are still available, all of the ones in the back are already taken. Makes sense if they board back to front.

Pretty sure A/C bag allowance is 55cm. (approx 22".). We always fly with carry on only and I believe ours is 22.5" also. Except for Covid times, we fly to MCO 4 times per year. Never been asked to verify our bags in a bag sizer. Not even sure if I have seen one recently.
According to the AC site, the maximum dimensions for carry-on bags are 21.5"x9"x15.5" (55cm x 23cm x 40cm) and that the maximum dimensions include wheels and handles. This is what made me freak out (a little).

1659980505911.png

The only issue for some,,should not effect you is they had to check their carryon since everyone had it and not enough room.
This is what I worry about as well. We are in Economy returning, but will have priority boarding because of the status pass (Zone 2 I believe), so it *may* not be an issue, but it also might be. We chose preferred seats at the bulkhead so I assume there might also be issues having both a carry-on and a backpack.

My anxiety and worry exponentially increases as we approach our departure dates. I actually made DH drive quickly to the airport (Pearson) with our carry-on during our lunch hour. He dropped me off, I ran in quickly with the suitcase, dumped in the sizer, and left. Here's a snap of it for proof. I hope it won't be rejected though the wheels are hanging out a bit. I feel a *little* better.

1659980952400.png

I didn't bring our backpacks, but it know it will fit in the carry-on sizer no problem.

Lol..cute but I understand the fear...you will be fine..we had bulkhead for every leg,,,they will make room for your backpacks and then you can bring down when you need....we had 0 issues..you will be boarding in group 2 so you will get all your stuff on

Lol..cute but I understand the fear...you will be fine..we had bulkhead for every leg,,,they will make room for your backpacks and then you can bring down when you need....we had 0 issues..you will be boarding in group 2 so you will get all your stuff on
This is good to know that they'll make room for backpacks. Thanks!

BTW, did you end up checking in a bag? I assume all was good?

We checked 2 bags,,,and did not need to pickup after 1st leg..check right thru...way home we checked 4..2 reg and 2 carryon,,didnt need them so why lug them around

We checked 2 bags,,,and did not need to pickup after 1st leg..check right thru...way home we checked 4..2 reg and 2 carryon,,didnt need them so why lug them around
Thanks! Seriously, you did exactly what we are planning on doing for our return. I assume we'll all be exhausted that we won't want to lug around so much stuff.

Did you have to pick up your checked bags at YVR on return before going through customs?

When I check on our flights to see how many seats are still available, all of the ones in the back are already taken. Makes sense if they board back to front.

On Westjet, when you get your free seat selection because you're travelling with children 12 and under, they put you at the back of the plane. You aren't able to choose seats farther up for free. That's why the back of the plane fills up faster.

On Westjet, when you get your free seat selection because you're travelling with children 12 and under, they put you at the back of the plane. You aren't able to choose seats farther up for free. That's why the back of the plane fills up faster.
Oh I didn’t know that. DD is 14 now so the days of calling her a “child” is over lol

Thanks! Seriously, you did exactly what we are planning on doing for our return. I assume we'll all be exhausted that we won't want to lug around so much stuff.

Did you have to pick up your checked bags at YVR on return before going through customs?
Checked all the way,,,both ways

We were at Pearson in May and there was a huge lineup for a "carryon scanner". We hadn't flown from Pearson in 28 years so we got in the lineup. A staff member came along and told us it was only for rollerboard suitcase carryons. Our softsided ones didn't need to be scanned. A family member was there the same day but at 5:30AM. They didn't even use the scanner because they didn't know they were supposed to. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter