How Strict Are Height Requirements?

Exactly! These are the same people who would be first in line to sue if their child was injured.

I would love to see the data that led to this statement. I am assuming you have this data, otherwise, this statement really seem to fit wiki's definition for...

internet troll
Web definitions

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows ******* on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Speaking of height requirements here's a question. My 4 yr old is 39 7/8 inches tall bare feet. With shoes she's just over 40 inches. We were at a local amusement park and she didn't make the 40 inch requirement ( bogus) Anyone know how Disney world runs? Are they pretty precise or will she have a problem getting on 40 inch rides. By sept. She might be there without shoes, but i m worried they are as accurate as Knoebels.
Thanks for your response

They are very precise. Your child will be measured twice, once at the beginning of the queue and once just before boarding. Even if your child makes the first cut, they can still be turned away at the second.

If the CM can pass a piece of paper between your child's head and the top of the measure, they will turn the child away.

Practice with your child now on how to get measured. Have him or her stand up straight (but not on tippytoes). Go to the big rides early in the day as throughout the day our spines compress and thus, everyone stands taller first thing in the morning.

Speaking of height requirements here's a question. My 4 yr old is 39 7/8 inches tall bare feet. With shoes she's just over 40 inches. We were at a local amusement park and she didn't make the 40 inch requirement ( bogus) Anyone know how Disney world runs? Are they pretty precise or will she have a problem getting on 40 inch rides. By sept. She might be there without shoes, but i m worried they are as accurate as Knoebels.
Thanks for your response

Aim to try for the rides that require 40'' first thing in the morning, that is when we are at our tallest. Prepare her that even if she gets to ride once, she may not be allowed on again (height fluctuates during the day, usually your back compresses and we are shorter at the end of the day)

Also, teach her how to stand up tall. How to mentally reach to hit the bar (without lifting her feet). Have her practice against the wall and have her stretch her neck up and straighten her back, etc. Some kids naturally slouch and some do it because they dont fully understand that they have to actually touch the bar.

To answer a PP's question about how often the sticks are measured. Every. single. day. It is a check box on the opening checklist for any ride that has measuring sticks.

CM's get pretty good at judging who does and doesn't meet the height requirement. Most CM's will do their best to get the child to stand up straight, but it is up to the parent to get them to do so (CM's are told not to touch kids, but this is not something that many CM's follow strictly as some parents welcome the help and many CM's do want to measure correctly). If a piece of paper can get through then yes, your child is unfortunately too short to ride.

When I worked at DAK we were told that hats had to come off and hair didn't count, but shoes did not. I can see the policy changing a bit because some girls come in big wedges and cowboy boots can add a bunch of height. Either way, it would be very rare for a kid to be asked to remove their shoes.

They are very precise. Your child will be measured twice, once at the beginning of the queue and once just before boarding. Even if your child makes the first cut, they can still be turned away at the second.

Actually, the child MAY be measured twice. My son was just a tad over 40" and we were measured at the queue entrance for BTMRR and Soarin'* but not at boarding. We cleared the height requirement by only 1/2 or 1 inch, so I was prepared for him to be double-checked, but it didn't happen.

* Those were the only 2 height requirement rides he wanted to go on (except that Goofy rollercoaster, which he clearly was tall enough for).

Maggie Lizer said:
Actually, the child MAY be measured twice. My son was just a tad over 40" and we were measured at the queue entrance for BTMRR and Soarin'* but not at boarding. We cleared the height requirement by only 1/2 or 1 inch, so I was prepared for him to be double-checked, but it didn't happen.

* Those were the only 2 height requirement rides he wanted to go on (except that Goofy rollercoaster, which he clearly was tall enough for).

Thanks I measured her today and she's over 40 inches with shoes on so we should be ok. I just know that some places they actually overestimate the height mark for it to be 40 1/2or sometimes even 41 . my question was really does Disney World overestimate or is the height requirement bar actually at 40 inches

Thanks I measured her today and she's over 40 inches with shoes on so we should be ok. I just know that some places they actually overestimate the height mark for it to be 40 1/2or sometimes even 41 . my question was really does Disney World overestimate or is the height requirement bar actually at 40 inches

You should be fine. AFAIK they are as accurate as a measuring stick can be and are not intentionally skewed.

As someone who has stalked every height requirement thread on this board (DS is 37.4 and has seen that damn Mine Train commercial a million times) I can say from the experiences shared, meeting the height requirement is not enough, and you need a little more. One poster even had her pediatrician's summary of her son's annual checkup stating he was 40' and GS still denied him. Do whatever you can to get that extra half inch, despite what the Tsk Tsk Tsk crowd says, your kid won't be decapitated on Splash Mountain.

As someone who has stalked every height requirement thread on this board (DS is 37.4 and has seen that damn Mine Train commercial a million times) I can say from the experiences shared, meeting the height requirement is not enough, and you need a little more. One poster even had her pediatrician's summary of her son's annual checkup stating he was 40' and GS still denied him. Do whatever you can to get that extra half inch, despite what the Tsk Tsk Tsk crowd says, your kid won't be decapitated on Splash Mountain.

I know you're not making it, but I never understand this argument--that pediatricians are the last word at measuring a child's height. Do they have super-special measuring sticks or something? Do they take a class for it?

I know you're not making it, but I never understand this argument--that pediatricians are the last word at measuring a child's height. Do they have super-special measuring sticks or something? Do they take a class for it?

:thumbsup2

Additionally, in this digital age, Disney will never take something on a piece of paper as certification of anything. Especially when they have a measuring stick right there.

I'm not saying the PP did this, but there are many out there who would, and that's why Disney won't take it.

Don't know if they are super special, but those classic height/weight scales are federally inspected for accuracy at the factory level (in theory, I have no clue if those inspections actually happen)

Don't know if they are super special, but those classic height/weight scales are federally inspected for accuracy at the factory level (in theory, I have no clue if those inspections actually happen)

Oooh. The federal government is involved so it must be better. ;)

Do the feds have super-special calibration equipment or something? Are they cracking down on the fly-by-night, elixir-producing, fake-measuring-stick quack doctor industry? Is that why my taxes are so high?

We made sure to wear shoes that were some of our tallest (tennis shoes) but we didn't go out and buy cowboy boots or anything. I'm not sure that the sticks are all accurate as in we were clearly too short for some 40 inch sticks and seemed to be an inch taller than others. It's also to the cast member's discretion, which can be difficult if they are allowed to ride once and not another time. I tried not to talk any ride up that much but it's hard when they've already ridden it, know how fun it is, and then aren't able to ride.

We made sure to wear shoes that were some of our tallest (tennis shoes) but we didn't go out and buy cowboy boots or anything. I'm not sure that the sticks are all accurate as in we were clearly too short for some 40 inch sticks and seemed to be an inch taller than others. It's also to the cast member's discretion, which can be difficult if they are allowed to ride once and not another time. I tried not to talk any ride up that much but it's hard when they've already ridden it, know how fun it is, and then aren't able to ride.

That would be frustrating, no doubt.

The key here is that it is all on the parent to properly prepare their borderline child. If they talk up a ride and get in line without ever explaining to the child how it works, it's likely going to be a big disappointment. If you prepare the child for the potential road blocks, then the you have a better chance that any disappointment will be minimal.

"Boy, we got lucky last time and you got to go. Let's see if we can do that again. Sometimes that doesn't happen when you're so close, but let's just see."

The ride we were checked at most was star tours ds was at least 1.5 inches over the mark. We were more likely to be "tested@ if we were carrying him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter