How Restrictive Will Resale Get?

And any changes or not, Riviera and Reflections will add thousands more looking for BCV at 7 months.

Riviera and Reflections also provide two new destinations for hundreds-of-thousands of members. It alters everyone's preference list from trip to trip.

Perhaps I'm unique but I never really viewed BCV as the holy grail of DVC accommodations. These days I don't see a lot of angry posts/comments from people who had unrealistic expectations for BCV availability. I'm sure it is consistently one of the tougher resorts to book, but we managed to book a week in 2018--first time we'd been to BCV (or even tried) in more than 10 years.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not sure what else DVC could even take away from resale buyers. They can't alter room setups or restrict access to resort amenities. There is doubt over their ability to tinker with the 7/11 month booking windows. If anything, they would probably have to go the other direction and offer MORE to direct buyers while excluding resale. It would basically take the form of expanded member perks, in the vein of Moonlight Magic. Use your imagination: extra fast passes, free refillable mug, early entry, early ADR bookings, etc. But every one of these possibilities has a real financial cost attached to it, or a direct impact on park operations (FastPass).

Riviera and Reflections also provide two new destinations for hundreds-of-thousands of members. It alters everyone's preference list from trip to trip.

Perhaps I'm unique but I never really viewed BCV as the holy grail of DVC accommodations. These days I don't see a lot of angry posts/comments from people who had unrealistic expectations for BCV availability. I'm sure it is consistently one of the tougher resorts to book, but we managed to book a week in 2018--first time we'd been to BCV (or even tried) in more than 10 years.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not sure what else DVC could even take away from resale buyers. They can't alter room setups or restrict access to resort amenities. There is doubt over their ability to tinker with the 7/11 month booking windows. If anything, they would probably have to go the other direction and offer MORE to direct buyers while excluding resale. It would basically take the form of expanded member perks, in the vein of Moonlight Magic. Use your imagination: extra fast passes, free refillable mug, early entry, early ADR bookings, etc. But every one of these possibilities has a real financial cost attached to it, or a direct impact on park operations (FastPass).

I agree that they’ll keep adding things to direct. Some things are less expensive than others for sure. Your example of FP’s versus MM is a good one. Extra FP’s is a minimal cost and impact. MM costs a fortune!

They aren’t going to add much more without a break towards VIP status.

How do you pay the real costs for new perks?

Only qualified points count towards status.

And it ain’t gonna be 75 points. My guess is 230 (the original minimum) or 320 (double the long-standing 160 minimum).

If you don’t have that many qualified points, you don’t get the new perks.

Previous direct purchases count, of course. Previous resale? Welllllllll......

If you buy 160 direct points, we’ll be happy to qualify 160 of your resale points. . .

They aren’t going to add much more without a break towards VIP status.

How do you pay the real costs for new perks?

Only qualified points count towards status.

And it ain’t gonna be 75 points. My guess is 230 (the original minimum) or 320 (double the long-standing 160 minimum).

If you don’t have that many qualified points, you don’t get the new perks.

Previous direct purchases count, of course. Previous resale? Welllllllll......

If you buy 160 direct points, we’ll be happy to qualify 160 of your resale points. . .

The only way I see this scenario being allowed is if they offer new perks that you have to newly qualify for (i.e. No one is grandfathered, direct or resale). They’re stuck with their grandfathered people both direct and resale, IMO unless they start over. I’ve looked at a lot of different docs to this effect, and that’s my opinion.

There could be an argument made that they offer some new VIP perk where you have to purchase a new minimum of direct points to qualify. This seems like bad business, but what do I know?

No doubt. You could be right that adding more and more DVC Resorts will increase BCV availability at 7 months (something I've yet to see a new DVC Resort accomplish), I doubt it but will see.

Therefore it seems your recommendation to the OP who prefers BCV, is don't buy BCV because it's going to be available at 7 months when these new resorts come online. Not my advice at least currently if BCV is that important, but you could be right.

Last edited:
No doubt. You could be right that adding more and more DVC Resorts will increase BCV availability at 7 months (something I've yet to see a new DVC Resort accomplish), I doubt it but will see.

Not sure how such a thing has been measured in the past but it seems obvious that Reflections and Riviera will draw some interest from the hundreds of thousands of current owners. Every new resort addition yields small changes to demand patterns across the entire system.

Therefore it seems your recommendation to the OP who prefers BCV, is don't buy BCV because it's going to be available at 7 months when these new resorts come online. Not my advice at least currently if BCV is that important, but you could be right.

I never said that at all. And I don't see where OP mentioned a preference to stay at BCV.

We were so close to buying before Christmas, but then those maintenance fees scared us away. We're Canadian, so conversion rate sucks too. As a family of five we'd have to buy somewhere that affords us the most room options. I don't think I'd want to buy somewhere where we have to get at least a one bedroom. We currently rent the studios for 5 (our kids are all under 7 years old.)

Have yet to experience 5 pp in a studio. With littles it’s probably easier, but once they hit tween years things do tend to change lol. It seems mighty close when there are 3 or 4 of us. The one bathroom tends to make rope drop difficult. If they only all had the Poly’s bathroom :)

Akin to heresy here lol, but we’ve rented @ Wyndham Bonnet Creek often. Something to consider. It really is a lovely resort, especially if you have a rental car and aren’t dependent on meal plans, etc. The 2 BR units sleep 8 people and are spacious. The 1 BRs typically price out less than a WDW value resort.

It's definitely given me a different perspective on WHERE to buy, should we ever buy resale. I always assumed we'd go with the cheapest, but with these new restrictions, I'd be much more concerned with buying at our favorite (Beach Club), because I'd never be dissapointed staying there.

And I don't see where OP mentioned a preference to stay at BCV.

As I read the POS it would not be legal to differentiate directly between resale and retail. A VIP system might be workable and accomplish the same thing. But they could also have different home resort priorities for different resorts I suppose. New resorts not in the current club can have other restrictions but as I read it they can't simply add those to the club and have a different set of restrictions.

I never said that at all. And I don't see where OP mentioned a preference to stay at BCV.

Yes, Beach Club is our favorite Resort. We've stayed there multiple times. I would certainly be frustrated if we could never get in again... which means it'd probably be wise to buy there. Resale. If we ever decide to do so.

A year ago we sold our 200 points at BCV and bought back in at WL BR. 25 direct (just made it with that) and 200 resale. Broke even, actually came out ahead because we sold a stripped BCV high and bought a loaded BR for much less. We realized we LOVED WL and had not stayed at BCV in over 10 years, lol. I still love it there, but this was a good choice for us. Very unusual situation, of course.

I am all for more perks for direct buyers. A friend and her family just bought 300 points at CC. All I could think of was, you should have bought 75 direct and 225 resale! It was just before the new rules hit.... but they are happy so none of my business.

It just seems like such a risk right now. We were very seriously considering buying at the end of last year but now, I just don't trust DVC. Has trust ever been this bad before? Or have you all bought in knowing the risks?
What risk? I have no intention of selling, I bought direct because the deal they offered was better than we could get resale at the time. So really, no risk on my end.

I think the most recent restrictions really have more to do with helping to ensure availability than strictly to prevent resales.

How about either a discount on the dining plan or including the gratuity on the dining plan for direct buyers? The financial impact would be minimal, but would be a very tangible benefit for direct buyers.

facebook twitter