How old was your son/daughter on their first visit?

I was 5 the first time I went in the late 70s. I remember bits and pieces: Being terrfied while riding Snow White's Scary Adventures and loving If You Had Wings. My memories of Peter Pan's Flight are a bit hazy. For some reason, I remember sitting in a seat (not a pirate ship) and my feet were dangling in mid-air. I vaguely remember It's a Small World. I remember asking if we could ride POTC but the adults said no. I remember that my mother lost her prescription sunglasses on Space Mountain and I also remember a beautiful Minnie Mouse rag doll (with a purple, polka-dotted dress) that my mother bought me.

When I went for the second time (and first time for the kids) in 2008, my DD was 9 and my DS was 5 (soon to be 6).

We will be celebrating DDs 3rd birthday at WDW during her first trip later this week!! :cheer2: We took SS when he was 4 for the first time and he hated it...we invited him on this trip and he declined. Pixie dust has clearly not been sprinkled on him!

I was 8 during my first trip. I still remember getting my picture taken under the statue of Walk and Mickey.

Hi:goodvibes
my DS was 6 1/2in 2004 had a great time.
at 12 now he would go every year, if we could;) next trip 2011
have a great trip:cool1

Mary

DD was 7, DS was 10. The Unofficial Guide's research seems to indicate Walt was right; they say 7 is the best age.

Since I have family in Florida, we had already visited Orlando twice without going to any of the amusements. We visited places like the springs in central Florida and the Morse Museum in Winter Park which has a unique Tiffany collection. I figured there was always time later to hit the parks.

I guess I knew that once I got them there, it would be hard to get them out.

My children's first trip were in 2005...
My DS was 10 and DD was 6. It was awesome...we have been back every year since. They had a blast and were old enough to handle all the walking and were able to do 90% of everything! We would have went a few years earlier but life got in the way - my DH had to deal with some serious health issues followed by financial ones...:rolleyes:
The really cool thing was my DH's first visit was then as well and he had just turned 50! He loved it just as much as they did.:goodvibes

I think I was 5 the first time I went to Disney World. DS was 4, and DD was 13. I'm not sure what age the older DD was when she first went to Disney.

We took DD for her first birthday in Jan. It was amazing. We are going again this Aug. I want to take all my kids for the first birthday if they are as well behaved and outgoing as DD. She recognized characters, loved the parades and fireworks. It was amazing.

I myself have been going since I was 4 in 1976. Technically DD's first trip was when she was 6 months old. But the was an extremely impromptu trip. (My cousin got married on Jupiter Island and we decided to take my niece on a very quick day trip!) But her first official trip was whe she was three turning four. It was a birthday trip for her. MAGICAL!!!!!:cloud9::goodvibes:lovestruc:love::cutie::flower3:

My DD was 11 months on her first trip, and since that went so well, we took Daughter no.2 when she was 1--eldest was 21/2 on that trip--DS was a different story we took him for his first visit when he was 3

Both of my kids 1st time was when they were 1, and we have been every year since. While they did both enjoy it the first time, it gets better each subsequent trip - they go on more rides, enjoy more characters, etc. They are now 3 and 5.

We took our son first time at 2 and middle daughter at 3. The youngest has been 3 times a year since she was 4 mos. old. Of course, when you take them so young, you can't experience everything at Disney but you do end of doing things you might have otherwise passed up. We only went when she was so young b/c our older kids were 5 and 8. Still we had an awesome time. I will say that from the time they can walk until 3 can be a difficult time at Disney. They want to be free and able to roam around at that age, but can't do that in the parks except at some of the play areas. We have enjoyed each visit to Disney and as they grow up every experience is a different one. Such great memories no matter what age your kids are.:)

I'm late to the party, but my DD was 6 when she went to WDW for the 1st time. We wanted to take her at 5 but couldn't arrange it. We had went to WDW on our honeymoon and both agreed (after seeing an army of strollers and many meltdowns) that we didn't want to take our child to WDW until they were out of a stroller. My DD may be different from many kids but she stopped taking naps early and is quite a trooper when walking is required. We took her to New York City in December 2005 when she was 3 1/2 and she never complained no matter how far we had to walk. So, for us, age 5 or 6 was perfect to avoid having to deal with a stroller or worrying about an afternoon nap. Plus, keep in mind, if you go in the November - March time frame, the parks are not open as late so taking a break may not make as much sense.

My daughter had just turned 3. DH said that as soon as she started asking to go to Disney, we would book a trip. He figured that would be when she was about 6, not 2 1/2! LOL

DS was 4.5 months old, DD was 5 months for DL trip and 1.5 for DW trip.

IMO there are 2 camps of Disney tourists, and what camp you're in should play into when you first take your kids.

Camp #1 - Go to Disney often. Often is a relative term to the person/family, but it could be every other year, 1x year, 2x year, 3x year or more! This Camp it would be appropriate to take a kid at whatever age you want. Taking a small baby, 3 years old or younger, imo they won't remember anything or very very little. But it doesn't matter becuase you'll be there in 2 years or 1 year or less for another visit!

Camp #2 - Goes to Disney 1-2-3x lifetime. For whatever reasons (money, career, school etc...) This camp IMO I'd wait until a kid is at least 4 to go. Maybe even 5.

HTH some!!! :)

We took our son (now 23) to WDW for the first time at age 4. We were on the Big Red Boat for four days and spent three days at Disney. I think that trip was the best trip of my life. So much fun. We thought age 4 was perfect because he was potty trained and didn't use a stroller. He loved all the characters and it was just a fantastic trip. We went many, many times after that. Disney was the perfect vacation for us, as he is an only child and WDW gave us lots to do.

My wife and I have been talking about the best age to first bring your child to the world. We would love to hear some of your thoughts.

^^^ This is something my DH and I went through years ago. Our DD's first trip to WDW took place when she was 8 yrs. old while our DS was only 3 yrs. old. Our rationale was as follows, DD had already experienced 'the Disney magic' on the Disney Cruise when whe was 5 yrs. old. She got to meet all the princesses, the Fab 4, and several other characters onboard the Magic. At that time our DS was only 3 months old, so he doesn't remember anything about the cruise. He knows he went on 'the Mickey boat' because he's seen pictures.

We didn't want to take the kids to WDW until DS was at least tall enough to be able to experience some rides in all the parks (not just MK). We didn't feel as if we had deprived our DD of Disney magic since she had already experienced the Disney Cruise.

but that trip was more for me to take him than him

It was great to see him watch and look at everything, touching the characters to feel what they felt like. It was a very memorable trip.

Over the next 10 years now, he has been there almost 30 times and each age has it's own special moments. I always tell people who ask me when to take their child and I always say before they get too old and realize how a lot of the magic is made. I think any age is a great age, but the two to three old years are the most magical ones for my son.

Now at 10 he was talking to the CMs about the College Program and how to become one. So, times have changed but WDW is always a wonderful trip.

:tinker: My DD was 2 months. She was born May 3 and we went over 4th of July. I know she doesn't remember it but we go every year and that year was going to be no exception, lol. Yeah, the trip was for me but I figured she would be there many more times over the course of her life. She's 10 now and we are headed there for our 11th trip in 11 days!!! :cloud9: :woohoo: :dance3: She remembers stuff from when she was about 4 so I would say anytime after that would be an optimal age, but again that is just my own opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter