How much would you tip?

I give $10-$20 depending on how much work they have to do.:offtopic:Just thinking of the holidays how much for sanitation workers we get a holiday postcard from them every December.We give $20 per worker.I think whats funny is that with teachers,bus drivers,den leader,and on and on......dh and I don't even exchange gifts to stay on budget ......just thinking out loud:)

It's not as if the delivery people get the delivery fee. That goes to the store, not the guys lugging appliances and furniture around.

Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama
Tipping was originally for waiters/servers that make less than minimum wage. Now everyone expects to be tipped. Where does it end? Those drivers make well over minimum, tips are not factored into their income, and they probably don't report them as income. I don't think you need to tip them at all. A nice thank you is sufficient.

I don't know where the idea that delivery people make "well over minimum" comes from. I've known a couple; they didn't make a lot.

I tip because they DON'T make a lot, they do hard, physical labour and because that's what you do - as someone said, if it's delivered (save a couple very specific things like mail or FedEx or etc.), you tip.

Tip the food delivery, grocery delivery, dry cleaning, liquor store, etc. If they go out in the whatever weather, lugging the crap I didn't want to, they get a tip. :confused3

I tipped $10 and then 3 loads of laundry later realized they hooked up the hot and cold water backward!!!

Home Depot gave me a small credit back on my purchase for the ruined items. So, just double check to make sure they are hooked up right before you put 100% cotton shirts in a "cold" wash :)

The only time I've ever tipped for furniture delivery is the time the guys had to haul a washer/dryer combo unit up 2 flights of stairs (the elevator was broken) and take the door off my apartment to get it inside.

When we had dds beds delivered, the guys had to bring one upstairs and one to the basement bedroom. They set up both beds, and we tipped each guy $10. We also tipped the guys who delivered our washer and dryer (and lugged them downstairs to the back of the basement) $10 bucks each as well. We just always do. :confused3

This issue is discussed on this board all the time. Some people tip, some (IMO cheapskates) don't.

These people work hard. I recently had a love seat delivered and tipped ($20 - $10 each to two guys).

Tipping was originally for waiters/servers that make less than minimum wage. Now everyone expects to be tipped. Where does it end? Those drivers make well over minimum, tips are not factored into their income, and they probably don't report them as income. I don't think you need to tip them at all. A nice thank you is sufficient.

^^That^^

I just had a new washer and dryer delivered last weekend. I offered the 2 delivery men bottled water, which they seemed to appreciate. Before the DIS, I had heard of anyone tipping for appliance delivery, furniture delivery, etc.

OP here - Thanks for everyone's responses!

DH tipped the delivery/installation guys $10 each = $20 total.

While we did receive free installation and haul away, we felt the two delivery guys were outstanding, very helpful with our questions (even un-related questions to the install), and did a great job. They were both very grateful for the tip, and also much surprised when DH handed it to them (at least they seemed to be). I guess some people tip, some people don't and they must be used to it.

This issue is discussed on this board all the time. Some people tip, some (IMO cheapskates) don't.

These people work hard. I recently had a love seat delivered and tipped ($20 - $10 each to two guys).

I would change your sentence around. "Some people tip(IMO stupid), some(smart) don't!"

We tip if we feel that our "job" is asking more than normal--going up stairs, taking doors off etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter