How much $$ to tip a piano mover?? Need fast answer!

minniebride

DIS Veteran
How much money do you tip a piano mover????

They are coming later this afternoon with my grandmother's piano and a small living room chair.

How much should I tip them??

Thanks!!

How much money do you tip a piano mover????

They are coming later this afternoon with my grandmother's piano and a small living room chair.

How much should I tip them??

Thanks!!

Do they have to carry it up a lot of stairs?

I would say the least I would give them would be 20

Do they have to carry it up a lot of stairs?

I would say the least I would give them would be 20

No stairs-we live in a house and they are just moving the chair and the piano to the first floor.

I think there will be 2-3 movers. Is that $20 each mover or in total?

Is this an upright or a grand?

If it's just an upright going up the stairs and staying intact, $20 total.

If it's a grand and it's coming apart or your windows are coming out? Bust out the $20s each.

Is this an upright or a grand?

If it's just an upright going up the stairs and staying intact, $20 total.

If it's a grand and it's coming apart or your windows are coming out? Bust out the $20s each.

It's an upright. I can't imagine its coming apart and I am guessing they will either bring it in through our front or side door. We have maybe 3 steps of stairs at eiher entry. My mom just called me and said they are actually bringing in two living room chairs in addition to the piano. Both chairs are relatively light.

It's an upright. I can't imagine its coming apart and I am guessing they will either bring it in through our front or side door. We have maybe 3 steps of stairs at eiher entry. My mom just called me and said they are actually bringing in two living room chairs in addition to the piano. Both chairs are relatively light.

Then I'd just give them a $20 total.

Grands you often have to take off the legs, etc., to even begin to move them in someplace. A modern upright should be fine, though sometimes people will take the front legs off those too, but it's not any big deal. The very old (like 100+ years) can be huge deals but given they're moving chairs, I'm guessing they're regular movers, not piano movers, so probably modern upright.

I used to work for a moving company and it usually worked out to $10.00 per worker based on that type of move. I would hope they have 3 workers on an upright, so $30.00. (Note also though if your mother tipped them also or gave a higher amount to cover your side of the move).

Thank you all so much for your fast replies!!

I think the piano is from the 1920's or 1930's. Is that still considered "modern"?? I have no idea if they will need to take off the legs. They moved it from my parents house last night-also from the first floor of their house.

Their company is "piano movers" ....I think my dad paid a little extra for the 2 living chairs to be included as well.

So should I go with $10 each or $20 each??

Thank you all so much for your fast replies!!

I think the piano is from the 1920's or 1930's. Is that still considered "modern"?? I have no idea if they will need to take off the legs. They moved it from my parents house last night-also from the first floor of their house.

Their company is "piano movers" ....I think my dad paid a little extra for the 2 living chairs to be included as well.

So should I go with $30 each??

I believe in over tipping. Then under tipping. I think 30 each is great

Given you're not sure about the piano itself, I'd have some tens and a $20 or two discreetly someplace - put $10s in one pocket and $20s in another if you don't want to stick it all in another room and ask them to wait a moment, and just wait and see what the deal is.

If it's nothing much, they just carry it in, unscrew and replace a leg and are done in 20 minutes or whatever? $10 each.

If it turns out to be a monster that they end up taking doors off hinges, dissembling things or looking at your windows funny, have to wrestle badly with, and spend a lot of time working on? douple up. ;)

Given you're not sure about the piano itself, I'd have some tens and a $20 or two discreetly someplace - put $10s in one pocket and $20s in another if you don't want to stick it all in another room and ask them to wait a moment, and just wait and see what the deal is.

If it's nothing much, they just carry it in, unscrew and replace a leg and are done in 20 minutes or whatever? $10 each.

If it turns out to be a monster that they end up taking doors off hinges, dissembling things or looking at your windows funny, have to wrestle badly with, and spend a lot of time working on? douple up. ;)

Great idea-thank you!! I'm gonna head to the store to break my $20's now :)

I think that 10 each is fine. The last time I tipped on something I had delivered the guy was so pleasantly surprised and was very appreciative. It was a small delivery and a $5-10 tip, but enough to go get some coffee and a danish. ;)

As a bonus, don't forget to tell them this joke:

What do you hear when you drop a piano down a mineshaft?

A Flat Miner:)

I think that 10 each is fine. The last time I tipped on something I had delivered the guy was so pleasantly surprised and was very appreciative. It was a small delivery and a $5-10 tip, but enough to go get some coffee and a danish. ;)
This! I paid $500 to get a mover to move the piano to my DD apartment then another $500 move it back after she graduated from college. I now own a piano that no one uses. It is a decorative piece of furniture. It would have been cheaper to buy a a new piano.

Zero. Violates my most basic rule of tipping, I never tip anyone making more than I do. I paid $150 to have my piano moved.......guy owns and operates his own piano moving company, did it by himself. I should point out I only paid $100 for the piano, so the move was the expensive part.

This! I paid $500 to get a mover to move the piano to my DD apartment then another $500 move it back after she graduated from college. I now own a piano that no one uses. It is a decorative piece of furniture. It would have been cheaper to buy a a new piano.

:headache: Perhaps you should start playing! :)

My GF will be moving her baby grand here later this month. Will be going from a 2nd level condo to my living room, which is in a townhouse, with half a flight of steps, a 90 degree turn and the other half onto a small porch, then in the door and up 1/2 flight. :headache: I am glad I will be in WDW when it gets moved. :rotfl: The quote is for $500, which is a lot of $, however it will be a bear to get in here and I am sure they will be earning that money.

Zero. Violates my most basic rule of tipping, I never tip anyone making more than I do. I paid $150 to have my piano moved.......guy owns and operates his own piano moving company, did it by himself. I should point out I only paid $100 for the piano, so the move was the expensive part.

Was it a keyboard? :rotfl: Seriously, I can see not tipping the owner of the business if he did it himself, but when there's someone helping I would tip the helper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!