How much notice has been given?

DWillowBay

DIS Veteran
Just trying to figure out my fate, best I can. I have a Nov cruise planned. The PIF date is within a month. Based on the timing of past notices for cancelled cruises, is it likely I'll know before the PIF date? or Will I end up paying in full and then find out it's cancelled? :confused3 Best guesses are welcome as I realize that is all any of us can do. I just wondered if anyone has kept track of how far out cancellations are announced. :mic: :boat:

Someone is likely to correct me, but I am fairly confident that most of the cancelations have been well after the PIF date.

Our May cruise was cancelled in April, and we had PIF in January. Because our PIF date was in January, we had no idea that coronavirus was even an issue that might affect our cruise. You do. You can cancel before PIF and get all your money back. We were at the mercy of DCL to cancel if we wanted to get our money back.

Just trying to figure out my fate, best I can. I have a Nov cruise planned. The PIF date is within a month. Based on the timing of past notices for cancelled cruises, is it likely I'll know before the PIF date? or Will I end up paying in full and then find out it's cancelled? :confused3 Best guesses are welcome as I realize that is all any of us can do. I just wondered if anyone has kept track of how far out cancellations are announced. :mic: :boat:

Our mid-September cruise was cancelled a week after the PIF date that happened in June.

I PIFed at the beginning of May for an early September cruise and only because it was concierge. I would have cancelled otherwise. Then we were cancelled in the big wave of cancellations a few weeks ago. It seems like they were doing a few at a time, and then because of the agreement among the cruise lines, did everything at once. At this point, I'll be honest, if I had a cruise before January, I'd cancel. :-(

Yeah, our cruise is on September 27 and our PIF was May 30. I know it's going to be cancelled but I assume we won't find out until later this month, at the earliest. We rolled the dice, hoping to pick up the 125% credit if it's offered.

My PIF is July 24th for Oct. 22. I am going to pay in hope it is cancelled. I'd rather go spring break. We shall see...

My August cruise was cancelled by DCL long after the PIF date. I'm glad I cancelled and before then. Nobody can tell you what to do or whether the risk of PIF is worth it to you. Some on my cruise did, and have since had a very hard time rebooking something at the same price (ours was a long European one, so more expensive than the ones that sail from PC). Good luck!

Yeah, our cruise is on September 27 and our PIF was May 30. I know it's going to be cancelled but I assume we won't find out until later this month, at the earliest. We rolled the dice, hoping to pick up the 125% credit if it's offered.
That's what I'm trying to weigh. Thank you for your insight.

We have a November cruise as well with the PIF date in late August. None of us are excited to go on the cruise in light of everything going on so we will be cancelling. But I definitely don't want DCL credit so we will cancel before the PIF date. I just can't quite do it yet LOL.

You're welcome. I think I'm silver since I went on one Disney cruise before this one. So my PIF date was 90 days before sailing. First-time cruisers PIF date is 120 days before sailing.
I didn’t know that was a thing. I thought all PIF dates were the same but but as your rank got higher the advantage to paying earlier was granted to get adventures and reservations before the lower ranking castaway members.

I didn’t know that was a thing. I thought all PIF dates were the same but but as your rank got higher the advantage to paying earlier was granted to get adventures and reservations before the lower ranking castaway members.

Hmm, maybe the difference in payment dates has to do with length of cruises? I know my travel agent gave me a PIF date that was two weeks earlier than DCL so that if I forgot to ok the payment, I still had time. Lol

Depends on the cruise on it’s PIF date and the distance from sail.

To get castaway benefits you’ll need to PIF by that checkin but actual PIF is typically ‘silver’ date. We are gold but waited till actual PIF for our 9/19 cruise hoping for more details

Depends on the cruise on it’s PIF date and the distance from sail.

To get castaway benefits you’ll need to PIF by that checkin but actual PIF is typically ‘silver’ date. We are gold but waited till actual PIF for our 9/19 cruise hoping for more details
I too am gold now and forgot that I get a small amount of time in advance of silver sailers to sign up for adventures, and dining. I should call about that date. Glad you sparked that reminder.
So just callled my gold PIF date is Sept 28, 2020.

Last edited:
We were booked on the Nov Panama Canal cruise and our PIF was earlier this month but we cancelled before that and got our deposit back. I didn't want to think ahead and try to plan a rescheduled cruise in the hopes of getting the 125% FCC.....it was much easier to just cancel and know I can jump on any deals that may appeal to us down the road.

I have a feeling it will be cancelled but didn't want to take the chance. We didn't really want to do a 14 day cruise in the midst of this pandemic and the ports were becoming less interesting to us.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!