• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much is enough?

Malissa Boymom

Earning My Ears
Alright, we are planning our first disney vacation and its going to be be my husband, 4 year old son, and myself. We are leaving at almost 2 year old at home. We are eating at mama melrose, be our guest breakfast, ohana, boma, tusker house, and 1900 park fare for breakfast. I don't know how much we should budget for. I would like to have enough money on gift cards and not need to worry about cash for anything. So based on those places (tips) and buying things, what you would guys think would be a good amount to save?

I would look at the menus and calculate cost based on what you think you will order. Then figure out what you will spend on snack, again looking at menus. How much you want to spend on souvenirs. You can figure this out pretty exactly with some research. Everyone is different, so what one might spend won't necessarily help someone else.

Alright, we are planning our first disney vacation and its going to be be my husband, 4 year old son, and myself. We are leaving at almost 2 year old at home. We are eating at mama melrose, be our guest breakfast, ohana, boma, tusker house, and 1900 park fare for breakfast. I don't know how much we should budget for. I would like to have enough money on gift cards and not need to worry about cash for anything. So based on those places (tips) and buying things, what you would guys think would be a good amount to save?
Tips:
Red caps at the airport - $1-$2 per checked bag, more for heavy bags
DME drivers - $1-$2 per person each direction, more if they handle strollers or cars seat, or have to store any luggage underneath the bus
Bell Services - $2-$3 per bag when delivered to you. More for oversize bags or if the bellman goes above and beyond by offering a brief tour of the resort while taking you and your luggage to your room
Mousekeeping- not a tipped position, but you may want to leave $1-$3 per person each day of your stay because you may not get the same housekeepers every day. Tip a little more on check out day because room turnovers take more time and effort.
Table service Restaurants - 18%-20% of the pre-tax bill. More for superior service. Less if your server was inattentive or if there were issues with your meal (do this only if you expressed your displeasure and gave the server an opportunity to make things right)

"Buying Things" is very subjective. Some people can spend a considerable amount on souvenirs for everyone from close family to co-workers and dog sitters. Sometimes, you forget to pack an essential and have to purchase a replacement. Everyone is different. Put aside a set amount for souvenirs and emergency purchases. Adjust your souvenir amount downward as your emergency purchases increase.

Last edited:
Buffets are fixed price, so add those together, plus tip also remember Taxes (I think they are 6.5% not for sure), then go to menus for other restaurants and see the cost of what you would order, plus tips.
You can also set a limit/cap on what you would like to spend on Souvenirs.

If you are staying at a Disney Resort, whatever you order at a Restaurant or buy at Gift Shops can be put directly on your magic band and the total can be paid at the Guest services counter (with Gift cards if you want) before you check out, so you wouldn't have to bring cash with you to the parks.

Keep in mind that you will have to have some cash for tips. You can't tip housekeeping staff, bell services staff, DME drivers, skycaps, etc. With gift cards.

It's also a good idea to keep some cash on hand for kiosks that don't take credit/gift cards or if the card readers are down. I always take $20 per day, just in case.

Just weighing in on the other side of the elephant :goodvibes Family vacations are awesome, and great bonding time for the kids, but a little special time with your older kid where both parents can be fully present and not distracted by the toddler will also make a very special memory for him (not to mention making the trip logistics easier). I'm the youngest of 4, and have really fond memories of special activities and trips without my siblings (and they had their own cool adventures that I wasn't a part of). My parents made sure to give each of us some uninterrupted parent time periodically. We do the same with each of our kids - it is really fun to be able to go at their speed without having to take into account the needs of the other kid.

Clearly, you will do what is right for your family - and everyone has different dynamics, so what works for one family might be different than another family.

Good luck with your budgeting - I'm a big nerd, so I would do a spreadsheet listing meals/likely souvenir spend etc to figure out the likely budget. Oh, wait, thats exactly what I did for our upcoming trip:rotfl:

Just weighing in on the other side of the elephant :goodvibes Family vacations are awesome, and great bonding time for the kids, but a little special time with your older kid where both parents can be fully present and not distracted by the toddler will also make a very special memory for him (not to mention making the trip logistics easier). I'm the youngest of 4, and have really fond memories of special activities and trips without my siblings (and they had their own cool adventures that I wasn't a part of). My parents made sure to give each of us some uninterrupted parent time periodically. We do the same with each of our kids - it is really fun to be able to go at their speed without having to take into account the needs of the other kid.

Clearly, you will do what is right for your family - and everyone has different dynamics, so what works for one family might be different than another family.

Good luck with your budgeting - I'm a big nerd, so I would do a spreadsheet listing meals/likely souvenir spend etc to figure out the likely budget. Oh, wait, thats exactly what I did for our upcoming trip:rotfl:

I agree. My kids constantly have to "share" and compromise when we do things as a family unit everyday of the year. It's so nice to do one on one stuff with them where we can focus on just their likes and interests. I haven't done WDW with them separately YET but it's in the plans for next year.

I'm going to address the elephant in the room - bring the 2 year old. Yes, it will be harder, but it will be worth it. Not sure what your reasons are, and not saying it's any of my business. Personally, I've found my kids bond with each other more on vacation than any other time.

I was going to ask about this too...Of all the ages we have taken our children to the parks, I honestly think that 18mths - 2 1/2 yr old window was our favorite by far. The magic is so real for them! Some of my best memories are of watching them on those trips.

I'm all about separate family time, but a trip like that (for our family) is a family trip.

Hum, if it's a once in awhile type trip I don't know if I would put too much money on gift cards. If you use credit cards you can still pay them off with cash you've saved and if you lose them you just call the company. If you lose a gift cards it's gone. If you want to get specifics you can look up each restaurant and try to figure out what you plan to order. If not you would be safe with $100 per meal for three people all included. Some will be more some less.

FYI the site allears.net has the menus with prices, frequently updated (far faster than pulling up the menus on disney's site).

(Re bringing the 2 year old. Can see pros either way, but just want to be sure you know that 2 year olds enter Disney parks free, and dine free at character meals. Those 2 items are the budget busters once your kids get older (especially age 10+).)

We just took our 2 year old grandson for his 1st trip and 2nd birthday and it was amazing. We were so surprised at all the characters that he knew and would point out everything. Plus he was free, in the parks, and buffet dinning, and ate off of our plates at TS meals. The 4 year old might need someone to play and share this experience. It was a lot easier when our DD's were that age in the parks they had each other to share the experience with, I have the cutest picture of them holding hands walking down main street, another one of them asleep in stroller both holding new Minnie Mouse's, later when I had started to put the album together, they were holding hands with each others Minnie mouse. I did not even notice it when took the shot. While not easy all the time, for us was so worth it. But not trying to sway you either way and of course your the parent so you know best.

DH and I plan/budget sorta like this as a base for when we travel.

5 to 7 Night trip.

Tips (not restaurant related) -100.00 to 150.00 - Uber or Lyft, baggage handlers, bus drivers, tour guides, ect...
Housekeeping - for DH and I - 5 or 6 dollars a day more if we are renting a suite and the kids and grandkids are with us.
Restaurant's, and adult beverage spots for tips - 200.00 to 300.00 depending on where we plan eating.
Souvenir's - this is the hardest part- around 100.00 for the trip per person - then if you are getting things to bring home to friends or whoever, another 100.00. If the 2 year old doesn't go then equal what you spend on the 4 year old.
Food and drinks, around 1000.00 - sounds like a lot - in NYC we stop in a bar to warm up, and 2 beers and glass of wine was 50.00 dollars.

DH and I also make sure that 2 of our credit cards could handle a very large charge or charges if necessary, for any emergency.

Let's see - we have an original cel bought years ago for $800 - like 30 years ago. That was an expensive souvenir year. There was the $200 bottle of wine.

Spending is WAY subjective. Look at the menus, add tax and tip. Figure out what you want to spend on souvenirs (I don't think I brought home anything my last trip at all - a $0 souvenir trip) and figure out a way to track it.

If money is tight, bring snacks and water into the park (if you are driving, pack it - otherwise, consider having water delivered).

Think about incidentals - alcohol can be a big one - if you want a glass of wine with dinner or a pool drink it can bring up costs significantly. Not drinking will save money. If you are the type of person who needs 3 $4 diet cokes a day, that's different than someone who will fill up a water bottle at a drinking fountain.

Watch ride exits - they almost all exit into a gift shop and if you start your trip with your four year old getting a gift after a ride, you'll spend a lot more than if you look and buy only once a day (or even once a trip - the Disney Parks Shopping app is great for 'ship it to me later')

(Years of Disney trips - I have one piece of advice on souvenirs. Buy things that will give you long term joy - I've done a lot of Christmas ornaments. Little kids are usually just as happy over the term that they play with something with the smaller/cheaper set - they don't necessarily need the $100 play set. Some things we've gotten a ton of use out of over the years - we still actually use the rubber manacles from Pirates - my daughter got into drama and they are handy - my kids are both high schoolers. A four year old might be as happy with glow sticks from the dollar store as expensive night light up toys).

I was going to say that too. Our first trip mine were 5 and almost 2, and I swear, he loved every second and it was so much more fun for us! Absolutely incredibly special. I just can't imagine going without one of my kids. The youngest would be free, anyway!

Others have given good advice on the money. And yep, get souvenirs that will mean more later, and always hold their specialness.. And totally NOT trying to make anyone feel bad, but the Mickey toy you bring back to a kid who didnt get to meet Mickey will not mean as much.

I'm going to address the elephant in the room - bring the 2 year old. Yes, it will be harder, but it will be worth it. Not sure what your reasons are, and not saying it's any of my business. Personally, I've found my kids bond with each other more on vacation than any other time.

Oops, it didnt quote you in my above reply!

No, have alone time with the 4yr. We left my 2yr home and took my 6yr and everyone had a great time. The 2yr is now 15 and never needed therapy. HaHa

Since some are addressing the elephant in the room. I am 40 something year old woman. MY parents went to Canada with out me when I was 2 and still have issues about this. I would also take the 2 year old. My parents never did go back to Canada. :(

Since some are addressing the elephant in the room. I am 40 something year old woman. MY parents went to Canada with out me when I was 2 and still have issues about this. I would also take the 2 year old. My parents never did go back to Canada. :(

Are you serious?

For those saying it's nice to have one-on-one time with one of the children, I totally agree IF--and big IF--this were a routine type of thing. If they made annual trips to Disney, go for it. If this were a weekend away near home, go and have fun!

But since it sounds like the family's very first Disney trip--and we all know those are a BIG deal!--I can't imagine just taking one of the kids! Maybe there are extenuating circumstances we don't know about. At least I hope that's the case!

I would certainly take advantage of free WDW admission while you can. I have three kids, two are now Disney "adults". Enjoy the time when tickets and buffets(and room occupancy) are free. It doesn't last long. Have a good trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter