How much is enough?

I'm going to address the elephant in the room - bring the 2 year old. Yes, it will be harder, but it will be worth it. Not sure what your reasons are, and not saying it's any of my business. Personally, I've found my kids bond with each other more on vacation than any other time.
As I was reading the original post, I was thinking to myself "why leave the 2 year old home?" It's a great time for little ones to go with them being free and they love it so much. I can't imagine going without the little ones. We started them at 4 months and they all still go, and all together. We take them for one on one type things but they are all still there together and having a blast.

As I was reading the original post, I was thinking to myself "why leave the 2 year old home?" It's a great time for little ones to go with them being free and they love it so much. I can't imagine going without the little ones. We started them at 4 months and they all still go, and all together. We take them for one on one type things but they are all still there together and having a blast.

I thought this too. Our kids were 16 months and 3 1/2 when we first went Some people said we should have left the little one home but I think DD would have been lost without him there. And - we have some of the best memories, even when he was just sleeping in his stroller being petted by Pluto, kissed by Minnie and Goofy had some of the funniest pictures with him mimicking him sleeping. Of course there were a few challenges but to me it was definitely worth it. I can't imagine going on vacation with and leaving a child home.

As for money - there is some good advice for tips, etc. here. if you want to price out what other things costs check out the Disney Parks app and then if you think you will be buying anything to take home, that can kind of give you an idea.

On the kids thing - she knows her situation, and may not wish to share it - but there may be a reason that the two year old is staying home. Everything from "the two year old is immunocompromised - and large public spaces are a bad idea" to "the four year old just REALLY NEEDS special time because its been all about the baby for the past two years."

You guys don't know what it is, and you don't have to agree.

My kids are now nearly adults - and there have been plenty of times one has gotten something the other hasn't. They are very different people, with different hobbies and take enjoyment from different things. As my oldest has aged out of family vacations, my youngest still wants to go. Raising your kids fairly means meeting their individual needs, not treating each of them exactly the same.

My dd (18 year old) and I just came back from 5 nights and i put $600 on giftcards for us to use and I had leftover money. We didn't buy souviners we just used it to eat with. We had some nice meals but just like everyone said - go and look at the menus and see what the cost of what you will eat will be and then budget accordingly. We ate out every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and this included snacks as well. I should say that my dh and my 2 sons came down to meet us and and so I bought us dinner at Rain Forest one night and that place isn't cheap ($140 bucks for 5 of us for dinner - which isn't worth is since the food is garbage in my opinion) so that came out of the $600 bucks as well. I still have $3 bucks left over on my g/c lol!!! On our last day we did many many people on the dining plan do and we went and bought snacks for our car ride back to MI just to use the majority of the money up.

BTW - Take whoever you want on the trip - only you know your family :-)

Just from my own experience. We live where it is very expensive to fly out and our first trip was when I was a stay at home mom and DH didn't have the job he had now. Needless to say money was tight and we didn't get to WDW until my kids were 10,6,&4. My youngest... 4 at the time. Doesn't remember anything about his first trip. However I do. I remember how he gasped when Mickey waved at him... he talked about it all day. How he was so tired he fell asleep in his stroller face first into his French pastry (only to wake up... before I even noticed... and continued to eat it without skipping a beat) and how after his first ride on big thunder told me "mama it makes my tummy tingle I like roller coaster".
5 trips later and now he's almost 14. He's too cool for mom or Mickey....although he still loves Disney it's about rides and arcades and pools.
Every single time I think about his first trip I end up teary eyed. It's something I will never get again and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

My parents and I took my son when he was 2 in a half. I can see both sides. I bet you know your family best. Good luck. You will need Tip Tax's and special fun treats to bring home.

A good rule of thumb we have been using on our trips is $100 per adult per day. some (most) days will be less and some days will be more but it balances out. If the goal is to save the money before hand, I will probably do $60 for the little one going with you. Again, it seems like a lot, but it has always worked for us and we usually come home with money too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter