How long should a MacBook Air last?

My MacBook Air is 7 years old and has never had any issues and is still going strong, though the battery definitely isn't what it once was. It's down to about 2 hours of life at this point, which still makes it perfectly usable for my purposes, since I only use it at home. My next computer will be another Air.

Now if only I could get an iPhone to last longer than 4 years...

If I were in your daughter's shoes, I would just go ahead and buy new to replace it. There's not enough cost difference between the repair cost and buying a new computer. Hopefully she gets more than 4 years the next time around.

Consumer laptops last about 3 years. Business laptops last around 5 years. I just replaced the battery in my 5 year old Thinkpad. I’m looking at replacing next year after the Pandemic.

With Apple you pay business prices for consumer grade.
I couldn't disagree more with you. Those of us at work that run Macs are from 2014 and going strong after 6 years, I can't say the same for the Windows PCs and laptops.

Thank you all for your replies. She decided not to get it fixed. She’s finished with school now anyway so decided to put her money towards an iPad Instead. When the apple store reopens she may bring it over and plead her case.

Timely. My DDs MacBook died yesterday. We bought it as her HS graduation gift (she didn’t get until week before college started) and now she is less than a month from graduating, so it is not quite 4 years. She is very stressed out about it. It’s not the Air. Didn’t think it was a Pro. Is there an in between? She was required to have the Mac for her major and she has some projects she needs to finish. She called Apple and they said she could mail it to them. Not very helpful when she has work now. Hers is the screen. She was able to hook it to an external monitor and I think that is working for her for now. Not sure if she will pay to get if fixed or just get a new one. I think she would not get a Mac again though.
Honestly, what do you expect them to do? Stores are closed down. How else are they supposed to diagnose the problem?

OP I’ve had a computer repair company trash my DD’s laptop (PC) so am very leery about taking things to anyone other than the company they came from.

Honestly, what do you expect them to do? Stores are closed down. How else are they supposed to diagnose the problem?

OP I’ve had a computer repair company trash my DD’s laptop (PC) so am very leery about taking things to anyone other than the company they came from.

Oh I understand that. I’m just saying she can’t be without her computer right now because she has projects due for end of term. It’s just a really crappy time for it to die. I think she can limp with it for now as long as she can hook it up to an external monitor. I’m glad it didn’t all out die, she would be screwed. We had to order it because her major required something extra to be added, I don’t remember what. But almost 4 years ago it took several weeks to get here because of that. It literally came on the slow boat from China. Lol Less than a month now! Fingers crossed it will make it.

My dd bought a MacBook Air in 2016 which she used for a couple of years for school. The other day it just died on her. Apple stores are closed of course but she she did call and they suggested taking it to a computer repair place. She did and they just called and said it would be $700 to fix the logic board.

She is just at a loss as to what to do. She doesn’t want to spend that much but the MacBook was a big investment for her. Does four years old seem soon for it to crap out or about right? I said I would ask here because I’ve always gotten solid advice on here and I have no idea about this.

Thank you for any advice you can give!
Ds lasted 5 years. Lived off the thing. The repair was too costly.
Apple will take it back.
Give u credit towards new one. We got 300. On one and for an old iPad over 100. It helped.
Call Apple. They r most helpful navigating the situation.
Did u put on a cc originally that Extended the warranty?
Best of luck. Expensive but worth it.
I too would Never Not use Apple for repair

Oh I understand that. I’m just saying she can’t be without her computer right now because she has projects due for end of term. It’s just a really crappy time for it to die. I think she can limp with it for now as long as she can hook it up to an external monitor. I’m glad it didn’t all out die, she would be screwed. We had to order it because her major required something extra to be added, I don’t remember what. But almost 4 years ago it took several weeks to get here because of that. It literally came on the slow boat from China. Lol Less than a month now! Fingers crossed it will make it.

So is the screen not showing anything..? She can also try reconnecting the display cable if you have the right screwdriver to open it (P5 pentalobe). I have "fixed" a good number of macs this way - it just gets loose or dust particles get on the cable and then it won't pass a signal. It is 50/50 on whether it works but I always try it as it is quick to do.

The ONLY steps needed here are turning it off & unplugging it, removing the back panel, unplugging the battery, and then step 19. Just unplug the cable in the corner, blow on it a little with compressed air or just lightly yourself, and then plug it back in nice and snug. Then plug the battery back in and put the back panel on/see if the screen comes back on.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Early+2015+Display+Assembly+Replacement/40753

We have a MacBook Air that's about 9 years old and still works perfectly, but its been used very sparingly since the day we got it. We have owned a plethora of Mac/Apple products over the years and have had intermittent issues, but I'd say no more or less than any other kind of electronic or brand. We like Apple though for their innovation and in-store service, when they are open. If I was your DD, I'd try to hold out until she can take it to the Apple Store when they re-open. If its urgent, I would probably cough up the money for a new one or go with something less expensive that doesn't hurt as much when it craps out. The only problem though with going between Mac and PC is that some of the programs and documents may not be compatible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter