How have the passenger numbers been lately?

We are booked on the Fantasy for early June. We are hoping for lower numbers but it’s so hard to guess! It’ll be interesting to see what spring break looks like. I feel like those sailings might give a glimpse of the summer. Does that feel about right?

I think this summer will be packed- more so then spring break. Spring breaks are spread out and at different times in different parts of the US and there are still many nervous after this last wave but by summer? Unless a new variant comes along I think the ships will be full or nearly full again

We are booked on the Fantasy for early June. We are hoping for lower numbers but it’s so hard to guess! It’ll be interesting to see what spring break looks like. I feel like those sailings might give a glimpse of the summer. Does that feel about right?
Impossible to say. Just depends where the pandemic is.

I'm booked for a spring break cruise, and I'll report back afterwards. I was thrilled to get to book it via a relatively cheap GT rate, which in a normal year would never be available for this cruise. I booked it just before New Year's, and I noticed today that some GT rates are still available for that cruise. That's an indication that bookings are low. Our cruise Facebook group has also lost its original leader and I've noticed several members signing off, although new people are added all the time.

I don't think it will be a crowded cruise, but I anticipate that more Florida residents (who don't have to make elaborate travel plans) will book it last minute as Omicron continues to recede.

Last edited:

Next week will be interesting with capacity. President's Day week. Schools out for the week. Wonder if more folks will be sailing.

Wow, that's nice! We only ever got the Monday off, our kids too.
Me too 1962-1975. But about 2000 they started taking the whole week off here. I was on the Little League Board when that happened and some parents were mad because coaches were doing practices that week. We didn't prohibit practices, but advised coaches that they could not penalize players who were out of town on vacation that week. It is a HUGE week to go to Disneyland here.

Wow, that's nice! We only ever got the Monday off, our kids too.

It's common practice in the New England area, at least. Schools have a week off in February, overlapping Presidents Day, and then another week off in April. But, no typical spring break in March. I don't know why it's different, but it's probably to do with the weather.

Anyway, I was given an estimate of 1200 for the 4-night Dream cruise that ended on 2/11. For the 3-night Dream cruise that ended on 2/14, our head server said that they expected 1500, but that about 200 people probably wouldn't make it for various reasons, and so they figured that we'd have about 1300 guests.

The 3-night cruise definitely seemed more crowded than the preceding 4-night cruise, though. More than 100 extra guests crowded. Maybe they didn't have as many cancellations as they expected to.

It's common practice in the New England area, at least. Schools have a week off in February, overlapping Presidents Day, and then another week off in April. But, no typical spring break in March. I don't know why it's different, but it's probably to do with the weather.
"Spring" break here in the public schools is always the week before Easter, so some years March, some years April just depends when Easter is, and why here is is called Easter break. Catholic schools traditionally have taken the week after Easter.
Sort of like Thanksgiving. They take the whole week now instead of just Thursday and Friday.

"Spring" break here in the public schools is always the week before Easter, so some years March, some years April just depends when Easter is, and why here is is called Easter break. Catholic schools traditionally have taken the week after Easter.
Sort of like Thanksgiving. They take the whole week now instead of just Thursday and Friday.
Our spring break depends on when Passover falls in relation to Good Friday. If they are both in the same week, then that's the week they're off. If it's the following week, they're off that week plus Good Friday.
When I was a child it was called Easter Break (also had Christmas break). Nowadays, to be more PC, they call them Winter Break and Spring Break.

My understanding was that the February break in New England schools was used to support the ski areas, which moved the traditional Spring break out to April.

-Paul

My understanding was that the February break in New England schools was used to support the ski areas, which moved the traditional Spring break out to April.

-Paul
That makes sense and why we don’t get the whole week here in NJ.

-Paul
The February break in New England has been around long before the ski-resorts were such a large business and most schools here never had a "traditional" March spring break. Historically, February break was intended to reduce illness, often occurring at a time that absences were peaking. It also saved on heating costs for one week during the long cold season, and in more modern times saves on bus fuel. It's typically scheduled half-way between New Years and April vacation, falling in mid- to late-February. April break was historically set for the agricultural needs of the region -- children were needed to help with spring planting.

The February break in New England has been around long before the ski-resorts were such a large business and most schools here never had a "traditional" March spring break. Historically, February break was intended to reduce illness, often occurring at a time that absences were peaking. It also saved on heating costs for one week during the long cold season, and in more modern times saves on bus fuel. It's typically scheduled half-way between New Years and April vacation, falling in mid- to late-February. April break was historically set for the agricultural needs of the region -- children were needed to help with spring planting.
Just to add to what you said. February break in Massachusetts is always President's Day holiday week for most schools and April vacation is Patriots Day (Massachusetts holiday) week. Patriots Day commemorates the battles of Lexington and Concord, the start of the American Revolution.

We are now on the Fantasy, the second leg of our B2B cruise. Last week (the 5 Feb sailing), there were around 1,500 guests. This week (the 12 Feb sailing) there is about 1,800. This week the ship feels busy, there have been lines for ice cream :) :) Last week was mostly adults, this week there is way way way more kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter